21| Almost

The long day of waiting was almost over. 

She glanced the clock again, willing the hands to move faster. Just a little longer...

In hindsight, she shouldn't have accepted to slot in a session today—she kept the day purposely empty for a reason. 

Yet, the tantalising possibility of adding a new client to the roster and increasing her salary proved to be too tempting—she could always do with extra money. 

And that's how she caved in, thinking she'd be capable of enduring a few hours of teaching. If anything, it would be a good and healthy distraction, right?

She congratulated herself for breezing through the morning, going about her daily chores and cleaning but as the clock skipped past three, her restless fingers started to tap out irritating rhythms on every surface they rested on. It was the sign she dreaded each time—subconciously, she had learned that once her fingers started tapping, it meant her mind had already started its inexorable decline into the dark abyss of fear.

She hook her head and filled a glass with water, just to have something to do, and tried to distract herself. The new client—yes, a good topic to ponder.

The instructor was aware of the expectations—she was going to be expected to be professional and deal with her client courteously, warmly. 

But how could she, when her mind kept drifting away from the present, her brain painting dark and dreadful images straight out of her worst nightmares?

The pilates instructor was brought out of her brooding with the sound of her phone buzzing. She snatched it up in an instant, teeth snagging on her bottom lip.

Chichu: just got back!! 😘💞😎💞😁💖thanks for looking after my baby! <3 🐶

She sighed and slumped in her seat, barely having the energy to send a half-hearted 'no problem unnie' message back after the thumping in her heart had stabilised. A bead of perspiration rolled down her temple and she quickly wiped her brow.

Get a grip. Nothing bad's happened. Meaning everything is still okay. Okay. It will be okay. Nothing's gonna happen...get a grip.

She repeated this mantra as she paced up and down and all around her apartment like an uneasy zoo animal roaming its cage. On such days, her apartment felt cramped, the air suffocating.

How she wished today's client would cancel! She would climb up the stairs of the building on her hands and feet for a week if such a miracle occurred....

But on cue, she heard the doorbell go off. The instructor sighed, getting to her feet. 

She had no clue about the identity of her client. The voice over the phone—who only introduced herself as Irene—had only mentioned that the client was a twenty-two year old female and her name was Lalisa Kim.

Must be some rich kid who have people doing everything for them, Chaeyoung mused as she walked up to the door. Bet they're rolling in money, just what I need. Lucky you, lucky me.

She just hoped the client was not one of those pretentious snobby women with blobs of fat strapped to their bodies as if it were about to fall off them—she had nothing against the bodies per se, but their owners could be irritable and expect to shed off all the fat and transform into super models like Kendall Jenner in the blink of an eye. 

The instructor wasn't sure she'd be able to cope with whiny demands without snapping.

 She undid the numerous chains locking the door and opened it. "Um...hello?"