One Week Older: Turning Pages

By AyaBethly

"Today, however can change things for better or worse. The outcome depends on you." When a marriage fails the... More

The Day I Rise
When Memories Hurt
Is This A Rescue
We Are All Hurt
Little Problems
What Have We Become
I Couldn't Stop
It's a New Day
Real and True
I Got You
Clouds in the Sky
Won't You Help Me
The Role We Play
Day In, Day Out
Living in Denial
A Cacophony
Inner Thoughts
Shattering Glass
Last a Lifetime
The Cold Light of Day
Put Things Into Perspective
I Can't Have You
Both Of Us
The Girl Gang
New Life Motto
It Went Downhill
Our Day Will Come
Red Light, Green Light
Bewilderment
The Broken Flaws
My Sunshine
The Traits You Instilled
#Winning
Wild and Free
Let's Play a Game
Make My Day
Eternity With You
Do or Die
The Sound of a Door
Misplaced Faith
Motherly Advice
How Do You Feel About Love?
The Day of Our Lives
She's an Angel
Four Little Hands
A Christmas Tree Farm
This is a Reaffirmation
An Overwhelming Party
The End of The Day
Full Cast
Covers

Nighttime Conversations

111 68 184
By AyaBethly

****Terra****

After I cried for a few minutes in my mother's loving arms, the two of us headed downstairs. I could smell the oven from my spot on the staircase. "Dennis," my mother chuckled.

"I'm in here," he yelled from the kitchen.

"Oh, I thought you were burning something in the back yard," I jested. We walked into the kitchen to see Dennis waving a towel over the stove.

"What are you making," I asked.

"I tried to make oven-baked teriyaki chicken from this recipe on Pinterest. I think the meat is good, but I might have burnt the beans." My mom laughed as she walked over to the stove. "The chicken smells wonderful."

I leaned across the island, "How do you burn beans?" I observed after a careful examination.

"I think you mean overcooked. It can be salvaged though."

As Dennis came close to me I whispered, "I understand if you don't want to talk about it in front of mom, but we can talk about what you said privately." 

We ate our dinner of smoked Teriyaki chicken and Lima beans with a comforting repartee amongst us. It was almost normal, but not quite there. It always feels that way since he has been absent. I hoped it became more ordinary in time. I adored being with them, but it still felt cloudy and like the rain could fall at any minute and ruin everything.

I decided to get ready for bed early. I had nowhere to run off too, or any more people to disappoint. I went to the bathroom and got ready before I headed back to my room. My hair was in a messy bun as I slipped into something more comfortable. A nervousness traveled throughout my body as I saw my phone. There was no more avoiding it. Earlier on that day, I was looking the most forward to speaking with him. But because of the events of the day, I was worried about what he may say to me.

"Hey," I responded at the first ring, thinking he must've been waiting for me so he would pick up quickly.

"Hi," I drawled before he even answered the phone. My hand fidgeted around the phone, and on my lap. Finally, the ringing stopped, and a voice flowed through.

"Hello," his voice could be compared with velvet, but it still had a strong cadence.

"Hey, it's Day, which rhymed. I'm sorry," I bowed my head.

"Hey Day," he quickly said as if it was one word.

As I fidgeted on my bed I questioned, "Have you talked to Piper?"

"Yeah, we talked," he spoke softly and it caused my anxiety about the situation to only increase.

I think he was about to continue, yet I said, "Yeah, I talked to her too. You know I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be, I don't know, disrespectful to you. I like you and all. He's just been my best friend for eleven years and I was talking to him. Like, he dropped some heavy stuff in my lap, and I had to talk to him. And yeah, I hugged him. We stayed like that for a few minutes. It was more like a side hug than anything. And yeah, there was a kiss, but," I babbled.

"Daya," he interjected. "Piper said you had something to tell me, but she didn't say... what."

And I realized that I tried to glaze over the kiss when he didn't even know and I immediately facepalmed. "Oh, Jay my... old best friend, he kissed me today. Terrible timing, I know. Right after you asked me if I was rebounding. Which I'm still not doing."

There was silence on the other side of the line but my heartbeat was growing louder and louder. Finally, he replied, "I'm not upset about it. I understand."

I didn't believe him for a second. Blinking I said, "You do? Because you can be, mad. I would be mad if it was the other way around. I'm upset with him and myself and..."

"Hey, take a breath," he interjected as I began to ramble again. I could hear it in the back of his voice that it was hard to hear yet he was still concerned about me.

I obliged before he asked me, "Do you feel better?"

I nodded even though he could not see me. "Oh, yeah. That is much better. I mean it though. You can be mad at me if you want. But, if you're really not then that is fine too," I smiled sheepishly.

"I understand. As you said, he's your best friend. It's not that big of a deal. I didn't expect you to stop talking to him forever," he mumbled his way through the words making me think they weren't true.

"Still, it's too soon. We were just together this morning and-" I ceased speaking because his voice forcefully came through the phone. "It doesn't change anything. I'm still on board for whatever you want to do."

Rolling around my bed I responded, "I don't know what I want to do. I even asked my mom about you."

"You're talking to your mom about me already. Did she give good advice?" I could hear the smugness on his tongue.

"I haven't tested out her advice yet, and I don't even know that it'll work. She said to make a pros and cons list. I think she was joking though. She also said to keep doing what I am doing but I don't even know what I'm doing so..." I tried to shrug it off.

"Do you want my advice?" A static sound interrupted his words.

"Yeah, what do you think I should do about a situation involving you?" I moved my head with every syllable.

He chuckled, "I agree with your mom. You should take your time and decide, not when it's convenient for me or him, but for you."

Biting down on my lip, I spoke, "Are you willing to wait? I don't want to lose you because I am indecisive. And I don't want to hurt either of you, but I've already done that."

He paused, "Don't worry about me. I'll wait, I won't wait forever, but I'll wait. And whether we get together or not, you don't have to worry about losing me. I'm here for the long haul."

I gulped, "How long is a good time frame then? For future purposes, I assure," I awkwardly laughed.

"I don't know. I will tell you when the time gets closer. It's definitely not two days though." A silence came over the phone for a few seconds. "What did you tell your mom about me?"

I moved my hair to one side, "Nothing that wasn't pg. thirteen, if that's what you mean."

I could practically see him smirk through the phone. "That's not what I meant, but good to know. We wouldn't want her to see you any differently."

I changed the course of the conversation, "I told her that I liked you and a few things that you told me about yourself. She said that you sound astonishing. I think that was the exact word she said."

"She sounds great too. Do you think she would like me in person? It wouldn't be good if she didn't," he clarified.

"Have you ever met someone who doesn't like you? You're kind of amazing." I wanted to ask him about what he said about me or Taryn or Dennis or Celia even, but I didn't know how to say it.

He cleared his throat, "Your brother didn't like me much when we first met."

"Really? And why was that?" I attempted to say it like I wasn't already aware of some of the story beats.

He sighed, "I'm only telling you this because he's your brother. But, you know how out of everyone in the group Serrano is my best friend and we're the closest?"

I nodded, "Yeah, I gathered that much."

"Serrano kinda brought Dennis into the group. I didn't think anything of it because Celia and Piper would have random people sit with us all the time or Michy would be there. Usually, Serrano doesn't branch out much so I thought good for him. But Dennis, he just didn't fit. And I tried to tell him that I wasn't a big fan of the guy after he was hanging around a lot more. And then the whole hallway encounter happened and I was so pissed about it. The guy told me he would fucking kill me, I thought he was crazy. So, I told Serrano to get rid of him to cut him off. I know he was into him, but I was selfish and probably a little jealous that someone was taking my best friend away." He seemed to lose himself in his retelling of the story and it was great to hear his perspective on things compared to Denny's.

"You said Mark was into him. What do you mean by that?" I pondered.

Matter of factly, he replied, "Serrano had a crush on him, a big one. And he saw this relationship with Dennis going somewhere. What I said about you, I regret it. But the look in Dennis' eyes. It was like he might actually kill me for talking to you."

Deliberately with careful intent, I suggested, "Mark's gay?"

"He's never put a label on it so I'm not either." This made me wonder more about the friendship Banks and Mark had but it didn't seem like the right time to ask.

"And do you think my brother..."I trailed off in my own thoughts.

"I think they felt the same way about each other," he paused. "Would that be a problem for you?"

"No, just it makes sense now." All the pieces of the puzzle were coming together. Dennis hates Banks because he got in the way of the Mennis love story. And he was around Banks during that time because he and Mark were together. He faked cheating on Michy because he wanted to avoid coming out. There were still some holes in the story, but I thought that was the gist of it. Maybe I was oversimplifying it, but the only way I could find out for sure was to talk to Dennis. He doesn't appear open to speaking to me about it, however.

I took that opportunity to bring up his comments about me. "Dennis told me what you said. Like exactly what you said... about me."

"Oh shit, Daya! I... I didn't mean it. I didn't know you at the time and I definitely didn't know that Dennis was your brother. I'm sorry... it was a dumb remark. I'll apologize for it every day for the rest of my life if I need to." It bothered me at first, but it was almost funny how worried he was about it.

"You have a thing for virgins? Do I just give off big virgin energy?" I poked fun at both of us with that line.

We shared a laugh, "I didn't mean that I was going around looking for virginities to take. I was talking out of my ass. And you were a random sophomore that walked by and looked in our direction weird. I didn't know you were related, for all I knew you could have been checking me out."

"Did I look easy to you?" Things took a turn for the more serious.

"No, you're everything but easy Daya Johnston. You're so much better than me. I'm lucky that you like me still. You do, right?" He said in a jokey tone.

I laid back, "For some reason, I still do. I'm lucky that someone like you would even look my way. My mom, she would love you, I'm sure. I bet she would like to meet you especially after everything I told her about you. I know she would," I bit my fingernail.

"I could come over there and meet her now." Some mysterious sounds came through his side of the phone but I didn't question it at the time.

I smiled, "It may be too soon for that. She just found out you existed today. And it's too late, Oliver."

"It's barely eight o'clock," he paused. "Wait, if I came over would she call me Oliver."

I giggled, "Yes, she has a thing about nicknames. She never calls me Day or calls Dennis, Denny. She uses pet names though, like honey. I don't get it, but it's her thing I guess."

I shrugged, "What's your thing," he questioned.

"The anxiety thing. I haven't been my best self recently," I exhaled.

"Your best self must be the epitome of brilliance because this you is pretty damn great." He was becoming my own personal hype man and I was actually enjoying it.

I blushed, "You only think that. I can be a real bitch if I need to be, or if I'm in a bad mood," I moved to lay on my stomach.

"Everyone can at times," he reasoned.

"Well, we both know your thing. Mister eyebrow quirk followed by a smirk," I quipped.

"Are you trying to say you don't like it?" Even without seeing him I could tell he was doing his thing at that exact moment.

"It's uniquely you, so I love it." My eyes widened, "I don't mean I love you. I love the way you look. No, that does not sound right. I love your personality too. I don't love you okay," I clarified.

He laughed, "I got that. I don't love you too."

I choked on my laugh, "Is this going to be a cute couple thing that we do now?" His voice got further away, "It'll be an inside joke and only the two of us will know what we're talking about."

"We have our first inside joke now." I placed my phone on the bed and ran my finger in my hair. "It's our second, Diya," he joked.

"How could I forget about that piece of comedic genius," I said sarcastically. "What are you doing," I asked, as his voice got even further away.

"I'm getting undressed," My face flushed red after that.

I tried to avoid thinking about the undressing going on the other side of the line. "Oh! Are you getting ready for bed? Because after last night I forgot how to sleep in a bed."

"I'm sure you will figure it out. Was it weird for you to sleep in a car?" He checked in on my thoughts about the night before.

Jokingly, I said, "I spent the whole night wondering if we would get mugged or carjacked."

"This isn't Grand Theft Auto. No one is going to touch Dark Knight, especially not with you in it." We had a nice banter transpiring on.

"You would protect me from any homeless people trying to squat in the truck," I continued the joke.

"Correction, I would protect you from every homeless person trying to squat in the truck," he said causing me to want to roll on the floor with laughter.

"What a hero," his soothing voice got closer again. We were definitely in for an interesting nighttime conversation.

*I feel like we're hitting a lot of heavy topics.

Do you guys feel like they were executed properly? How do y'all feel about the Dennis storyline?

Please remember to follow, share, and comment! I appreciate and read every comment I get.*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.6K 1.4K 31
After enduring years of abuse, Ali finally had enough. She packed everything she could and left her ex to start a new life with her four-year-old son...
1K 229 42
[FEATURED x5] When Lucy's estranged father dies suddenly, she knows she is not going to have the Senior Year of her dreams - it is definitely not sta...
687K 19.6K 35
"I know that I can fuck up your whole life with one look. But I can't stop myself." ✰ ✰ ✰ Mia Rose...
9K 377 34
●COMPLETED● Fan of erotic and heated love scenes? Well, you've come to the right place. No under 18s allowed🚫. The funny thing about love, is that...