The Neurologist's Love

By SarahYBooks-

A story about a 24-years-old Muslim Girl living a typical pakistani life as a doctor. She is faced with discr... More

A U T H O R 'S N O T E
P R O L O G U E
C H A P T E R 1
C H A P T E R 2
C H A P T E R 3
C H A P T E R 4
C H A P T E R 5
C H A P T E R 6
C H A P T E R 7
C H A P T E R 8
C H A P T E R 9
C H A P T E R 1 0
C H A P T E R 1 1
C H A P T E R 1 2
C H A P T E R 1 3
C H A P T E R 1 4
C H A P T E R 1 5
C H A P T E R 1 6
C H A P T E R 1 7
C H A P T E R 1 8
C H A P T E R 1 9
C H A P T E R 2 1
C H A P T E R 2 2
C H A P T E R 2 3
C H A P T E R 2 4
C H A P T E R 2 5
C H A P T E R 2 6
C H A P T E R 2 7
C H A P T E R 2 8
C H A P T E R 2 9
C H A P T E R 3 0
C H A P T E R 3 1
C H A P T E R 3 2
C H A P T E R 3 3

C H A P T E R 2 0

298 30 13
By SarahYBooks-

A/N: Sooo, yes I know... everything is so odd and confusing, and you probably find the characters so annoying, but what is a story without a little twist eh? I promise, In sha allah, it'll be getting better! I am finally on the role of writing... off of my writers block and back up in my game! Anyways, Enjoy!

"Not those, I said white flowers for the borders!" Hana screams to the decor owner through the phone

"I am sorry ma'am I am sure you get lavender lilies" The guy stayed calm through the chaos.

"OH MY GOD, GUYS WE FORGOT TO GET THE SHEETS!" Zayna freaked.

"INVITATIONS! GUYS!" Maryam shrieked, "THEY'RE HEREEEEEE"

I was in the middle of chaos, it had been 2 weeks since that agreement between the families, and now my friends are going havoc on the decor. Everything had to be perfect or else they'd die, thankfully the invitation arrived right away, which was a blessing, but Hana doesn't seem to have it. Apparently, the guy sent dozens of lavender lilies when we paid for white flowers. However, I couldn't care less.

"HANA!" I yelled her to shut up for one second so she can listen to me.

"hold on please," she said, "what is it aiyla!"

"look, we have lavender hints in our decor the lavender lilies will look perfect, we can have white table cloth instead and other stuff, we already paid for it, so leave it" I tried to convince her. She groaned and ended up agreeing.

My whole living room was filled with decor. We still had time, the engagement wasn't until two days! And the girls were going insane, but you know what if I was getting married to whom I loved, and everything.. trust me I'd be a perfectionist.

There was this feeling I had that the marriage was for some reason not going to go through... was I right?! we will see...

My pager buzzed, I was on call that day for some surprising reason. Seems like there is an emergency at the ER. "guys I have to run to the hospital!" I sighed, quickly grabbing my coat to rush out.

"oh yes, you're on call, well as we work on this just remember that we will be gone to the hall to check things out," Zayna said.

I said my goodbyes and let them go all out as they wanted too. I sat into my car and made my way towards the hospital. The drive was quite until it was interrupted by a notification on my phone. Not thinking of anything, I opened my phone and saw another email by the same person.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, so lost as to who would annoy me this way. It isn't getting any funnier... Upon approaching the hospital I park my car and leave to go inside. I had a dilemma on whether it'd be best to open the email now or later...

but know me and my impatient self, it was best to open it up now, and so I did.

you don't want to regret marrying him... do not do it!

This started to make me really frustrated, why did someone find it okay to message me things like this during the time, it 100% not my friends since I asked them, and it wouldn't definitely not be my brothers, they're not into these kinds of things.

who the hell are you

I decided to text back. Hoping it would send and I would feel a sense of revealing an odd message shows up.

message failed to send -

At this rate, I was really confused... I was so confused that I had no idea somebody was calling out my name. "Dr, Aiyla Hussain!"

My head shot up immediately. 'Oh shoot! It's Dr. Asad.' I pursed my lips in embarrassment. "y-yes sir"

"i do not appreciate interns that have ignored my pages" he ranted, firm and professional. "you will have to be on call for the next 3 days"

"oh I am sorry but I really can't do the friday"

His eyebrows shot up, almost as if I was dumb enough to give myself a break. "and this is because?"

"I am getting engaged doctor"

His face from stern to being embarrassed, "oh, I am so sorry, I didn't know... yeah of course you can take that day off" He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, "anyways room 201, head up there ill be on my way, and please study the patient's chart"

"Yes," I nodded my head. I was about to tell him it was Hamza, but the fact that he wasn't aware meant that hamzah hasn't told anyone yet? or maybe he did and Dr. Asad didn't know it was me.

Oh well, whatever, I skewed out of that awkwardness and rushed towards the room they asked. Grabbing the chart I memorized the patient's details as fast as I could before Dr. Asad came. No other intern came around me, I guess it was just me.

"Sorry for the delay, let's begin" Dr. Asad mumbled, as he quickly rushed into the room, I following behind him awkwardly.

"20 years old, Lindsay suffering from verbal impairment after traumatic injury towards her head. She has "hopefully" been attending regular speech therapy, and is in for a general checkup"

"symptoms?" He asked.

"Uhm well right uh she shows no signs of symptoms but fever has risen since her last visit"

"How often are you getting a fever, Lindsay?" Dr asked.

"q-q-quiet o-o-ft-en" She tries to speak. He nods his head, quite apparent that he is concerned.

"and when did they start?"

"m-m-m-m-months ago"

"mmhmm" he rubbed his chin, and looked up me, "please order an MRI stat! and get the results into my asap, I'll be waiting on them. "we will let you know further once we get the result he says to her parents" he nods his head and leaves the room.

before I could leave the room Lindsay's mom stops me, "Is everything alright he seems worried"

"We will let you know once we get detail, don't worry too much about it, Dr. Hamza is one of the best neurologists in this hospital!" I smiled.

"I am sorry this isn't Dr. Hamza"

"Sorry I mean Dr. Asad is really great too, they both are, of course, rest well we will see you soon" I mumbled, and left the room... I didn't really think much of what I said until I realized that it was going to get me in trouble.

"What did you do!" Dr. Asad groaned as he approached me in the cafeteria.

"i-i- I am sorry... what do you mean"

"why... is Linday's mother getting another reference?!" He said.

I could feel the heat of anger radiating through his large built body. He clenched his jaw and rolled his eyes.

"Dr. you called?" Hamza's voice echoed down the hall as he approached the two of us. "Is everything alright here?" he looked at me and him, confused with a small smile.

"Lindsay mom wasn't a second opinion... by you"

"what why me, you're the best in this hospital"

"not according to dr. aiyla" He shrugged.

"no, oh my god, that is not what I meant... I accidentally mentioned Hamza's name I am so sorry" I tried to reassure Dr. Asad I wasn't against his works or anything, he was an amazing doctor of course!

"You should at least have some decency of calling him Dr!"

"Ali, Ali please"

That's when I found out his name was Dr. Ali Asad, I had no idea that was his first name! Dr. Asad shrugged his shoulder and left.

"I am sorry Aiylah, he is like an older brother to me he just gets very overprotective at times... he is older than me you know so"

"Why didn't you tell him about us?"

"he knows..."

"oh..."

"Why?" he questioned

"no reason, he didn't know It was out an engagement in two days!" I said confused.

"our engagement is in TWO DAYS?!" He gasped.

My eyes widened, did he just say that. "why are you shocked!"

"oh my god, I thought it was another week oh my god" He started to panic rubbing his beard.

"you are the one who whose forcing me to marry you, and then on top of that you won't tell me anything, and on top of that you forgot that you're getting engaged TO ME IN TWO DAYS!" I yelled. In annoyance of his immaturity, I stormed out of the cafeteria.

"Aiyla! stop!" he yelled running after me. "stop!"

"what is it that you want now!" I grunted, turning towards him.

"what the heck is your problem, why do you have an issue with running or storming away every time I say something" he whispered loudly.

"excuse me!" My jaw dropped at what he said.

"yes excuse you, and learn to handle when someone is talking to you then running off! grow up!" he said and stormed away.

My head was fuming in agony, how could this person say things like that too me. Who did he think he was, I was just so pissed off, I didn't even wanna look at his face. And because he turned my mood off, I walked down the hall mumbling things under my breath until I saw myself approaching Dr. Asad.

I decided that the best thing to do was to apologize, I didn't want a weird relationship b/w Hamza's friend and myself, so I did I went up and apologized for my actions and that I truly did not mean whatever came out that way. I was actually really glad I did that because I got to realize that things weren't too well at home with one of his family members so that is why he has been very frustrated and in a rush all day.

Taking that into consideration, and I did every task he wanted me to do right away. Finally, it was time to get the results for the MRI scans. "here you are Dr. Aiyla" the radiologist said passing on the lab reports. They went on explaining what the imaging showed since I had to present it to Dr. Asad.

"Dr. Asad" I knocked on his office door.

"Yes, what does the lab say," he said immediately opening up the door.

"the radiologist has confirmed that there is a benign mass that is pressing on the parietal lobe which is causing a fever, it is however thankfully not effecting anything and is extremely easy to remove, they think that this mass is a side effect from a prescribe medication(s) she has been taking."

"Okay, that's good, alhamdulillah, nothing severe. you can inform the family, and meet me in the OR"

"y-yes dr!" I smiled, I squealed as I made my way down towards their room. My excitement couldn't contain, I got a surgery. I was so darn excited.

As soon as I entered the room, eyes averted to me. "so, the good news is that it's nothing serious, but an operation is required. there has been a benign mass that in your brain that is causing stress, in turn, causing a fever, mom, could you tell me what medications she is on to double-check, all that is prescribed or not"

and so she goes on to tell me, I write them down quickly and lowkey was shook at the number of medications this girl was taking without a prescription.

"Dr. Aiyla, the OR is booked!" A couple of nurses come in to get the patient ready.

"how long will the surgery be" the dad asked.

"if all is well, about 2 hours, not that long!" I smiled at them, they pursed their lips and nodded their head holding each other tight. of course they were afraid, their daughter has been through so much.

"ready?" I winked at her.

"y-yes!" she stayed strong and fierce, and that's how a patient should be.

---

"would you like to make the first incision" Dr. Asad pointed out.

I nodded my head, but Oh boy I was jumping up and down and was going crazy inside of me. I had never felt the cold metal against my glove in a very long time! My view was a ball portion of the head, with marks to which I had to follow. Did you know, when cutting someone open, the pressure that you have to put isn't as light as cutting a cake? You really have to dig into the skin to get to open the whole area.

I remembered this completely!

The silver blade dug into the white scalp oozing dark blood out, which was quickly patting down by the nurses. Dr, Asad opened it up with retractor and there we saw it. A yellowish mass I saw, it was so gross I actually had to look away.

so that's how the night was spent cleaning and retracting and everything like that. I was told to go inform that the surgery was a success and no complication arose, and so that is what I ended up doing. The parents were so happy, I awkwardly had to apologize when the dad tried to hug me, but he was was very considerate about that.

"You were right Dr. we had the best attending and intern," The dad said looking past me.

I was so confused, didn't know who he was talking to. I turned around my head to see Hamza standing there with a big smile on his face.

"oh, sweetie and congratulations on your engagement guys" The mom came into hugging me again.

'that little... he's having a play out of this huh' I thought.

I played a small smile on my face, "thank you"

"you're enjoying this aren't you" I scoffed shaking my head as hamza and I both walked.

"can you at least be a little darn considerate of what I am doing for you" he gritted through his teeth.

"oh boohoo I need a man to save me"

"what the heck Aiylah, have you ever considered that maybe I perhaps actually like you!"

and with that said he stormed away this time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Noor By Larissa

Spiritual

35K 2.7K 19
This short story is about the encounters of Adali and her path of travel along a spiritual journey. Adali is a devout Muslim, in which this story is...
150K 6.7K 41
"So you approached me without being aware of my identity?" He asks me, while raising an eyebrow. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. It...
651K 15.9K 65
This story follows two 17 year olds competing for the love of one another despite religious barriers.
2.1K 105 13
It is believed that destiny plays an important role in bringing two people together 🍃 whether they're miles away from each other if they're meant to...