in too deep | ✓

By njhpiper

Evelyn Reyes is the girl with chronic anxiety. Her stomach knots, insomnia, pounding headache, a second voice... More

01| E v e l y n
02| M a s o n
03| E v e l y n
04| M a s o n
05| E v e l y n
06| M a s o n
07| E v e l y n
08| M a s o n
09| E v e l y n
10| M a s o n
11| E v e l y n
12| M a s o n
13| E v e l y n
14| M a s o n
15| E v e l y n
16| M a s o n
17| E v e l y n
18| E v e l y n
19| M a s o n
20| E v e l y n
21| M a s o n
22| E v e l y n
23| M a s o n
24| E v e l y n
25| M a s o n
26| M a s o n
27| E v e l y n (Part 1)
27| E v e l y n (Part 2)
27| E v e l y n ( Part 3)
28| M a s o n
30| E v e l y n
31| E v e l y n
32| E v e l y n
33| E v e l y n
34| E v e l y n
35| E v e l y n
36| E v e l y n
37| M a s o n
38| E v e l y n
39| E v e l y n
40| E v e l y n
41| M a s o n
42| E v e l y n
43| E v e l y n
44| E v e l y n
45| M a s o n
46| M a s o n
47| An unsent email from Evelyn Reyes (100K special)
48| The Differences between Anxiety Attacks and Panic Attacks
49| The Way I Loved You (Publishing) + Floating [COMPLETED]

29| M a s o n

12.7K 519 294
By njhpiper

Oh no, your daddy didn't like me much
And he didn't believe when I said
You were the one
Oh, everyday she found a way
Out of the window to sneak out late
She used to meet me on the eastside
In the city where the sun don't set

- Eastside, Halsey and Khalid

29| Mason

"What happened with Alex?" Evelyn asked taking a bite of her sandwich. She was eating a nutella sandwich, the one Mason's mom taught him, the one he showed to Evelyn. He couldn't but smile at that.

"Alex Harrington, my number one hater," Mason said taking a sip of his cola. They were sitting on the bleachers together. Mason had successfully taken his place beside Evelyn, replacing Rita who would steal Evelyn at the time. Rita was back in the cafeteria.

"You should feel famous," Evelyn rolled her eyes.

"I know, duh. I am." Mason said in an obvious tone. Evelyn gave him a look. Mason laughed.

"What's the matter with him?" She asked as she was curious.

"It started with the football team selection, I guess." Evelyn opened her bottle of Pepsi. Evelyn liked Pepsi over coke. Honestly, why?

"Yeah?" She asked.

It had been two weeks since Mason almost almost confessed his feelings for Evelyn. Evelyn did give a hint that she was not opposed to taking this one step further. Still, they had done nothing about it. Mason was not sure if Evelyn still wanted to change her mind.

So Mason wanted to ask her out on a date. The date had to be perfect, it had to be different, amazing but simple, something that would be special for both of them. It would be their first date after all. He had to figure something out. He had absolutely nothing in his mind.

"They needed a quarterback.  Alex and I, both wanted to be quarterback. Mr. Delevigne chose me over him." Mason said.

"But you don't play." Evelyn said.

Mason gave a smile, "Yes, Evelyn."

He leaned a bit closer, "I don't play." Mason said.

Evelyn pushed him away striking a punch in his shoulder. He chuckled.

"Alex was pretty much convinced Coach chose me because my father donated for the school. So I have bought the place as well," Mason said.

"Was this before the accident?" Evelyn asked.

Mason nodded yes. Before the accident, nothing in his life was as messed up as it was now.

"Hmm. But Alex is the qb now." Evelyn said as a matter of fact.

"Yes, I played for a year and then," Mason sighed, "After the accident, I didn't have any passion for that anymore. So, I left and Alex had my position." Mason said fiddling with his shirt. 

Evelyn sighed and looked away.

"I used to cheer lead. I left that around sophomore," Evelyn faced him.

Miss cheerleader and the former football player. Typical.

They sat in silence for moments. Evelyn finished her Pepsi. Maybe someday Mason would adept having Pepsi. Maybe he won't. Pepsi over coke is not even a choice. Evelyn had to like him for who he was, even if he liked coke.

"Alex does have his place now. Then why he hates you? I don't get it," Evelyn shook her head.

" The team selection was just the start. Alex's dad's business was rival to my dad's. Alex's family started the business early on. It was passed down to his father after his grandpa died. They were in the market when our family rose to fame. My dad's company soon took over the market and eventually, Alex's face loss." Mason said.

"So what, it has nothing to do with you." Evelyn asked.

"Not all people think that way, Evelyn. The danger happened when their company became bankrupted. Turned out, they had big loans due," Mason said, " Dad told me, his grandpa died with many loans unpaid, so they were already struggling and then the loss. It turned very bad."

"So after they got bankrupted, Alex's mom and dad got divorced. His mom moved away leaving him here with his dad."Mason said.

"Alex blames you for that?" Evelyn asked.

"He thinks we broke his family apart. He blames the whole Stewart family." Mason said. "I once heard him talking about it, how he would take any chance to destroy us."

Mason heard the bell rang.

"He doesn't need to do that. We are already done anyway." Mason said.

"Hey," Evelyn squeezed his hand. "The haters gonna hate, you just gotta shake."

She moved her hands in a dancing manner.

"Like Taylor Swift?" Mason asked while chuckling.

"Better than Taylor. Shake, shake, shake it off." Evelyn said as both of them stood up.

"I would very much like to see how you shake it off," Mason said with a smile. He got a punch for it.

"I mean it. You were a cheerleader, you definitely got some skills." Mason said with a wink. He received even a harder punch this time. He was used to it anyways.

Evelyn flipped her hair and walked away.

Mason was seeing the little things, but this time, they were good things. Evelyn was tapping her foot a lot less, which was a relief. She finished her lunch everyday almost. She didn't miss anything happening around her. She was less lost in her thoughts now. She talked to people, made jokes and laughed her heart out more. Evelyn smiled a lot now. She glowed when she did that.

Mason took a breathe of relief as he realized how much things have changed since she had arrived. That sad, stressed out Evelyn was long gone. With her, the sad, angry, frown face Mason was gone too.

It was them, who made each other better. Talking to her, telling her things had made Mason feel better than ever. Somehow, everything felt alright and maybe they had a chance on top of everything. If it was them vs the world, they would win, easily.

Mason just needed to tell her that. He needed a perfect plan.

• • •

"What can I do? I have no ideas. I am blank,"  Mason groaned.

"That's what happens when you don't get laid for a long time," Jack said, "You lost your intellectual senses along with your masculinity in the lack of banging girls. Remember, behind every successful man, there's a flock of girls that slept with him."

Mason ignored him. So did Noah.

"Well, I don't know what she likes. You know that, don't you?" Noah asked. Noah had been dating Diana since freshman, yet he was not good at this.

"How can you date a girl for four years still had no idea on how to plan dates?" Mason asked.

"Do you remember Ironman? He had a different girl in his bed every night. That's how he became Ironman." Jack said.

Mason and Noah both gave him a bored look.

"What ? You didn't know that?" Jack said. "That's a shame."

"I thought that's Pepper Potts." Noah replied.

"Exactly! What I am saying. For Mason, it's Evelyn." Jack announced with his hands stretched out on both sides. "You see my point?"

"You don't make any sense." Mason growled. "I will crush your head. Give me some ideas, Jack."

"Go read your books, they might give you some ideas." Jack replied.

"You know what, I will do that. That's better than asking you." Mason shook his head.

"Between me and Diana, it just happens. It's just the sparks, the electricity, the love that lights up our world.." Noah looked lost in his thoughts.

Jack and Mason rolled their eyes.

"You guys are of no help. Why did I even bother?" Mason sighed hopelessly.

"Ask Evelyn. Ask her hypothetical questions, like what would she like if she was out on a date," Said Noah.

"Oh, brilliant. And Evelyn won't even realize what I am planning, right guys? What a mastermind!"  Mason patted on  Noah's shoulder. He smiled in reply not getting what Mason meant.

"Evelyn at least got more brains than both of you," Mason heaved.

Both of the boys cooed at the same time. They sat in silence, Mason raking his brain, Jack devouring his pizza, Noah chugging down his coke.

"What's the use? We are not Bryan. Are we?" Jack whispered after a while.

Mason looked up at him. Jack looked away.

Actually it was the truth. When it comes to figuring out girls, Bryan Stellar was the mastermind. He had every trick up his sleeve and Jack and Noah didn't mind borrowing a few.

Mason would rather take Evelyn to the cemetery than asking Bryan for help. It was just a date anyway.

Actually, it wasn't, they knew that.

The question, that why even Bryan still did what he did was unanswered till now.

Mason remembered marching down to school the next morning after that horrible party two years ago. He noticed Bryan at the parking lot. Bryan paced to him asking about Mallory, like he didn't know what had happened.

Mason couldn't believe it, how he could act so ignorant after what he had done to Mallory. Mason grabbed his collar, surprise filled Bryan's eyes. His acting was amazing. He should win an oscar for that.

Mason only asked him if he had done it or not. Mason demanded to know. Bryan gave him a look. Then he said yes. He screamed in his face, that he had actually done it. That was it for Mason. Before he knew, punches were flying everywhere he could see. When they pulled apart, Bryan had already gave him the scar, right beneath his hairline on his forehead.

Years after that, Mason still couldn't figure out why.

Mason remembered meeting Bryan in a park, then taking him to his house. They were only four or five then. Since that day, they had grown up together like brothers. Sometimes Mason even had the idea that Sarah loved Bryan more than she loved Mason. When Mason and Bryan messed up, Sarah would always punish him and leave Bryan. Although, Bryan would always be the more guilty one.

Bryan won both Mom and Dad's heart so easily, that he became a part of their family. He would sleep in here more than in his own house. He would go out with them in vacations. They were a nice family with Bryan in it. He never felt like an outsider. When they finally met the other kids in school, Mason and Bryan already shared a bond like no one else. However, in school, Bryan was the leader of mischief and Mason was his manager.

Mason sighed. That was why he never saw it coming from him. He was bound to trust Bryan, when he said things would be alright.

Like any best friend, Bryan knew all about Mason. Mason thought he did the same. But if only he knew.

" I think I am going home," Mason said as he stood up. "See you guys later."

The walk to home was quiet. The wound that had opened up was as fresh as ever. After him, maybe Mason got better at reading people. 

Mason opened the front door and kicked off his shoes. He turned to the living room, Carolina was already there. He saw a luggage on the floor. He wondered who had come to camp on this house this time.

"Mason, you're finally home." Carolina said cheerfully. "Look who's here."

Mason was not ready for what he saw.

• • •

Author's note: Who's up for a roller coaster ride? *Wink wink*

What do you think Mason saw? Suspicious, hmm.

The next update will be on Saturday. Have fun till then!

Until next Chapter

:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 64.1K 86
I'm running, my dress bunched up in my fists. But I'm not running for my life I'm running for his, and when I see him I stop. There is one bulky man...
29.9K 1.4K 49
[COMPLETED] Indigo always had problems, but when her father committed murder-suicide against her mother, she had trouble keeping those problems under...
14.6K 275 54
His blue grey eyes were glued to my brown eyes. "Tell me you don't hate me." He ordered me. "I hate you Mason." "No you don't." "Yes i do." He was t...
8.3K 288 44
Book I of 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓢𝓱𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔀 𝓢𝓮𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓼 After feeling invisible for so long she finally was seen by the one boy that was supposed to be off limits...