Ten Years

De -Satan_-

It was the tenth of December. Virgil was watching his idiotic boyfriend try and choose which Christmas tree t... Mais

§ Word from Author §
§ 1 §
§ 2 §
§ 3 §
§ 4 §
§ 5 §
§ 6 §
§ 7 §
§ 8 §
§ 9 §
§ 10 §
§ 11 §
§ 12 §
§ 13 §
§ 14 §
§ 15 §
§ 16 §
§ 17 §
§ 18 §
§ 19 §
§ 20 §
§ 21 §
§ 22 §
§ 23 §
§ 24 §
§ Word from Author §

§ 25 §

1.2K 96 154
De -Satan_-

January 5th - 11:00am

Epilogue

                                                                                     "I can't believe it's over already" Amelia sighed after leaning away from her son who she had previously hugged, smiling him a soft smile Virgil knew he'd miss back in America. Virgil would agree that the holiday had passed by quick, quicker than he originally anticipated which was unfortunate but these things couldn't last forever - he and Roman needed to get home so they'd have time with Roman's family before their jobs started back up. Thankfully Roman's family returned home a week later, they were vastly spread out across the US apart from his father's uncle's son who pretty much travels the world.

"I know, I'm...gonna miss you" he admitted with a slight smile, eyes staring up at his mother through his bangs. She just chuckled a little teary eyed, running her hands from his shoulders and down his arms until she was holding both his hands. "Hey, you'll be back soon, right? For Easter" and Virgil nodded in head - he had promised to come down for every holiday during this year, although he and Roman would have to figure out a dynamic of where to go each year he was sure they could work things out.

"Right, I'll let you say goodbye" she pressed a lingering kiss to his forehead before gently pushing him away, Virgil hesitantly left her side, walking across the foyer to bid farewell to everyone else. The only other people leaving right now were William, Elizabeth and Mia - William's job wasn't that lenient and Christmas was the only time of year he was really...free. Unfortunately. Luckily he had weekends with his wife and daughter, though.

The rest would slowly tickle away through this week and the next until the house only homed Amelia, Matthew, Harper and Gabriel. The teens couldn't wait. They desperately wanted their rooms back and for the basement to return to their living room.

He first found the children in the basement, their beds covered with toys they either hoarded protectively or shared. He smiled at the sight and walked over to the end of their beds, hands in his pockets, eyebrow risen curiously. "Virgil!" Riley was first to drop her toys and rush over to him, giggling when he scooped her up and sat her on his hip. "You're leaving, aren't you?" she then frowned, sticking out her bottom lip too.

Virgil sighed with a frown, "unfortunately" he confirmed, "but hey! We'll be down again for Easter, right?" And that made her light up in excitement, wriggling from his grip to go off back to her bed. Seb shuffled to the edge of his, making grabby hands to Virgil who smiled warmly and picked him up too, brushing his hair from his face.

"M'gonna miss you" he murmured shyly and Virgil felt his heart break but warm up at the same time. He adored his little cousins and niece. "I'll miss you too, Seb" he then glanced towards his bed, finding it covered with plastic dinosaurs. "Hey, ever had a toy Dino from America before?" His eyes lit up like the night sky, head shaking quickly which made his hair fly over his eyes. Virgil chuckled and swept it away again.

"How about I get you one? Instead of an Easter egg?" Of course that was a lie, he'd buy both but the excitement that crossed his face distracted Virgil from that thought.

"Please!" Sebastian begged and Virgil agreed, placing him back down gently. Then Henry cautiously walked up to him, hesitantly holding his arms up. Virgil smiled a soft smile, lifting him into his arms and setting him on his hip like he did with Riley.

Knowing he didn't say much, Virgil was content with Henry merely giving him a big hug, arms wrapped around his neck, face buried into his shoulder. Virgil happily hugged back, soothing a hand up and down his back.

"Love you" Henry's voice whispered and Virgil didn't think he could smile any wider, giving Henry that ever so tighter hug. "I love you too" he whispered and Henry smiled before he was set down onto the ground, climbing back onto his bed.

Once the kids were busy with their toys, Virgil turned to Mia and smiled at the girl who was reading from her book. Sitting down opposite he gently caught her attention, she looking up at him curiously. "I have a friend who likes books too" Virgil began to explain, drawing a slip of paper from his pocket. "I asked him books he'd suggest for someone like you so.." he slid it over to her with a grin, "pester William to buy them all, promise?" And she was nodding hurriedly, looking over the titles giddily.

Then she let out a gasp, "I've read the last one!" She commented enthusiastically and Virgil grinned widely, he was sure Logan would appreciate that very much.

"See you at Easter, yeah? With a new list?" Mia nodded hurriedly, sitting up on her knees to give her uncle a hug.

"Daddy said not to tell you but he said he's proud of you" Mia murmured and Virgil's heart clenched yet again. Drawing back, Virgil smiled, eyes rimming with happy tears. "Well, make sure to tell him I said thanks - but only when you're driving home, okay?" She nodded with a giggle, sitting back down on her bed to carry on reading, all of her stuff had been packed and put into the car already so she was just passing the time.

He left the basement after that, knowing exactly where he was going when he wandered down a hallway and opened the garage door. He spotted Aria and Aiden lifting four suitcases into the trunk of their car - they were leaving in a few days so he assumed they had separate bags filled with the stuff they'd need for those days until they left for home.

"Sup" he greeted, casually leaning on the other car beside theirs. "Nothing much - what brings you here?" Aiden responded, shutting the trunk of the car to lean on his opposite Virgil.

"I was planning to beat you up and steal your car" Virgil replied without missing a beat, grinning when the married couple both let out a laugh. "I'd like to see you try" Aria replied, swinging her arm around her nephew's shoulders, dragging him into her chest and rubbing her knuckle on his head roughly. "Alright, alright!" Virgil laughed, pushing away.

"I'll get better, one day, you'll see" he eyed them both but they merely laughed, Aria standing beside Aiden, leaning on him with crossed arms.

"You're already good - you'd have to be to live in America" at this Virgil rolled his eyes, "thankfully my area's not that bad" he shrugged, for a split moment he imagined Roman as a kid, innocently speaking Spanish to his neighbour and then- he shuddered. Life could easily be taken away. Just like that.

"Yeah...anyway" he continued, "keep Henry and Riley safe, those Griffin brothers are still on the loose" he teased, the two smirked in amusement, both standing so similarly, leaning on each other instead of just one on another, they both supported the other in everything and Virgil admired their relationship very much. They were perfect for each other. And he was glad he was able to witness it again.

"Eh, they don't stand a chance" Aiden brushed off and Virgil believed him.

Leaving them to continue, he crossed the house to the other side, quickly finding Camila and Samuel admiring the Christmas tree that stood in the corner of the room, the lights twinkling, creating a serene feeling.

"Hey, you two love-birds" he called and they both turned to him with warm smiles. "Hey, Virgil! Ugh, it's so sad that you're leaving" Camila frowned, standing up to pull her nephew into a hug. "This Easter I'm taking you around town, you'd be surprised to see how much it's changed" even if she didn't say it Virgil knew that was a promise by just the look in her eyes. He had caught a glimpse of town when he was driving here but at the time he was much more focused on what he would do when he got to his family's home.

"Is you-know-which-one-I-mean still there?" Virgil asked with a grin and Camila laughed, knowing exactly which shop he meant. It was an inside joke with the family, years ago a new shop opened in town and no one could remember it's name, by the time they did it had coined 'you-know-which-one-I-mean' and no one had the heart to call it by it's real name at that point.

"Of course it is!" She grinned, moving away from Virgil to sit back down with Samuel who instinctively wrapped an arm around her. "We went there on the first" Sam piped up, "it still has your favourite snack" he added which made Virgil's bulge, "seriously?!"

"Deadly" Samuel winked and Virgil made a mental note to tell Roman they were stopping off at the store on the way to the airport.

"It was nice coming here" Virgil concluded and Camila grinned brightly, "it was nice seeing you! Stay safe, and we'll be looking out for wedding invites!" She called playfully, Virgil rolled his eyes at the thought of his family going to Spain, it would most definitely be non-stop 'it's too hot!' but he wouldn't have it any other way.

He then paused; his family meeting Roman's family? Oh god...

Shaking his head, he sent the two a small wave before he left and jogged up the staircase, entering Abigail and Mason's room without knocking knowing it annoyed them, he guessed he was just in that sort of mood. Mason was sitting at his desk, writing something in his notebook from the computer while Abigail sat on her bed, back resting on the headboard, reading from a book. They both looked over to him when he entered and he grinned right back.

"Just came to say hi" he explained, holding his arms up in defence before moving across the room and plopping down onto the end of the bed.

"Hi" Abigail responded and Virgil rolled his eyes but he could see the amusement floating in hers. "I didn't think of you as 'cool' until you went against Charlotte" he commented and Abigail finally closed her book knowing a short conversation was about to ensue.

"Does this make me certifiably cool?" She asked and Virgil snorted "I guess it does" he agreed, "but Oliver already saw you in that light"

At this Abigail and Mason shared a look, "I don't think so" Mason denied and Virgil rose his eyebrow. "Not with that attitude - he loves you, you love him, all you have to do is show it" he encouraged, glancing between them as he did.

"I don't think he'll be up for it at this age" Mason continued and Virgil gave him a deadpan look. "He could be ten, twenty, fifty, one hundred - Oliver is still Oliver" and the couple found themselves agreeing, thanking Virgil who shrugged and smiled at both of them.

"I know your capable - even people like you need a little push" he teased.

"And what does that mean?" Abigail shot back but it was playful and light.

"People who hold themselves to such high standard" he replied in an extra posh accent which made the couple simultaneously roll their eyes.

"Anyway, see you at Easter" he ended, the two sent their own form of 'goodbye' before he left, purposefully leaving the door a crack open just to rile them up. He moved across the balcony upstairs and until William's and Elizabeth's bedroom, finding them collecting the last of their belongings.

"Virgil" Elizabeth called softly when she noticed the man in the doorway, placing down a box before moving over to him. Even if she was about to go out into the cold she still wore a dress that brushed against the ground but Virgil knew Elizabeth had lived in cold climates for most of her life before moving to Britain (which still wasn't exactly the warmest) so she was pretty much used to it - it was the heat that turned her into a mess.

"I was hoping I would see you" she brushed a hand through his hair, the other landing on his shoulder comfortingly. She had such a soft, airy atmosphere around her - Virgil loved being in her presence. He also adored how she was taller than him, probably one of the tallest in the house, not as tall as William however - in fact they were probably the same height.

"How did you enjoy the trip? I know there were a few bumps but no one can live a life on a flat road" she asked and Virgil smiled, shoulders lifting up into a slight shrug. "It was...nice, good, especially seeing you again" and this made a smile light up her entire face, yet somehow not a single wrinkle seemed to blemish her skin.

"Oh, how I adored seeing you again too. And Roman, such a sweet man" Virgil scoffed a little subconsciously but Elizabeth found it amusing. "He's sweet sometimes" Virgil somewhat agreed and Elizabeth laughed her soft laugh Virgil didn't think he would ever get bored of.

"Yet a perfect fiancé for you" she framed his face before leaning down to press a singular kiss to his forehead, something so small held everything that Virgil needed - that reassuring love Elizabeth gave him ten years ago, even after making up with his family she continued and Virgil never wanted it to end.

"I love you, Lizzy" he whispered, eyes closed, holding onto her wrists. She slowly leaned back, drawing her thumbs across his cheekbones. "And I love you" she whispered delicately, giving him one more smile before she turned him to William who stood awkwardly by his bed, watching the exchange with a slight smile. Virgil knew he liked the scene but truly didn't know what to do with himself.

"Hey" Virgil walked up to him, fiddling with his hands in his pocket. "Hello" William responded, looking up to Elizabeth for guidance but she merely sent him a smile, picked up a box and basically glided out of the room, softly closing the door behind her.

"You better protect her with everything you have" Virgil instantly stated and William chuckled lightly, "I do, I do, she's...amazing" he admitted, them cleared his throat. "Did you enjoy your time here?" He asked to which Virgil nodded in agreement.

"More than I thought-oh..." Virgil awkwardly cleared his throat, "sorry for being rude-when you answered the door the first time? Roman ran in for heat? I was a douche and-"

"I don't think you're the one who should apologise" William cut him off, "I don't know who I was those years ago but I hate myself for it, I didn't know any better, just went off the information I already had and assumed you were this bad person - I vowed to never assume again in my life" William explained, then sighed.

"You are a great person, Virgil. I hope you know that"

Virgil swallowed thickly, wanting to budge the clog in his throat. He didn't exactly agree with it, for years he was stuck in a pit of self hatred but he was getting there - and for once? His brain didn't throw the compliment in the trash, didn't dismiss it, instead welcomed it, accepted it...believed it. Somewhat anyway. But he'd get better. He knew it.

"Thanks, Will" Virgil smiled and they shared a hug, for once their hug didn't start off tense, it felt natural, warm and comfortable.

Once they parted and Virgil headed to the doorway, he hesitated, turning back to look at William who picked up a box. "Hey, Will?"

"Yes?"

"...call me Virge"

And the smile on William's face was heartwarming.

In the kitchen he found Harper and Gabriel collecting left overs from past meals, talking amongst each other while shovelling down food. Well, Gabriel did - Harper was much more polite about it.

"Stealing food, huh?" He joked, the two turning to look at him in surprise. He remembered when they were small children they'd always search for food between meals. Somethings never change.

"It sucks you're leaving" Harper said after she put down a plastic tub of chicken. "We haven't even gotten into family pranks" she frowned and Virgil chuckled, walking around the counter to pull her into a side hug.

"We'll do them all at Easter, don't worry" Virgil reassured and that she grinned at. Gabriel tried to avoid eye contact, just carried on eating until Virgil sighed and allowed Harper to swat at his arm.

"I'll throw this at you" he warned but they knew he never would throw food. "What? Too emotional in the morning?" Virgil teased and Gabriel rolled his eyes, not daring to look up at his brother who sighed and pulled him into a hug from behind. He let out a gasp when Gabriel violently shoved him back, stuffing the food into the fridge before slamming it shut and darting out the room but they both saw the tears in his eyes.

"I'll-"

"Let me" Virgil stopped Harper who hesitated but allowed him to go after Gabriel who rushed up the stairs, hiding in the first empty room he could think of. The attic.

Virgil opened the door moments after he closed it, watching Gabriel storm across the room, pushing aside empty boxes once filled with Christmas decor. "Gabriel-"

"Fuck off Virgil!" The boy demanded, finally reaching the end of the room where he grumpily sat down on a mostly broken chair, covering his face with his hands, shoulders shaking lightly. Virgil frowned, slowly walking over to him but Gabriel suddenly flew up, tears rolling down his cheeks which made Virgil's heart shatter.

"Just go back to America, Virgil" he spoke in a dangerously low voice, "and don't come back" he added, glaring at his older brother who knew he didn't mean it. He was annoyed Virgil was leaving again and the man could see why - after ten years he comes back for Christmas and that's it? But he can't stay for longer, his life in America can't he stopped forever.

"Gabe, hear me out, please?" He begged quietly, stepping closer to the upset boy who begrudgingly nodded for him to explain.

"The first two years I left was spent in guilt, I never forgave myself for leaving you, Harper, Oliver, everyone who didn't treat me like shit which wasn't many...but do you know why I did it?"

Gabriel looked away, "because you were upset and-"

"Because I didn't want you to have a dead brother"

And Gabriel's eyes flashed over to Virgil in a split second, "I was going to kill myself, Gabe. You know this but I stopped - I didn't allow myself to die because of you and Harper mostly...because I would rather your brother be gone than dead. Of course I never thought I'd come back but in my heart? I knew I'd see you again...and that thought kept me going, knowing I'd see you again, one day, sooner or later - you wouldn't let me get away with leaving forever" Virgil managed a slight smile at the end to try and lighten the solemn mood that had fallen over them.

"I know it sucks - I grew up with dad before he got better, being raised by a man who doesn't understand you unless you're like William is tough but he's trying...I know Harper is your anchor, keeping you sane throughout the entire time I was here. I guessed sooner or later this would happen, I have a bad procrastination problem and didn't want to start it..." Virgil sighed and looked towards the ground only to lift his eyes and stare at Gabriel again - he needed to be strong.

"I'm glad I left, glad I didn't allow you to grow up maybe never understanding why you had a dead brother. You're right to be angry and I'm not about to try and make you feel any less, but I just want to know that I love you and I promise during Easter? We'll have complete days with each other, we'll drive across our shitty down until we decide to go to that beach I used to take you to, remember? You loved throwing rocks into the ocean. You nearly hit an old man once" and Virgil smiled when he saw Gabriel duck his head and snort quietly.

"And hey! During summer I'm taking you to America, you and Harper if she wants - we're bonding whether you fucking like it or not. We're having a bonding moment and I will cradle you in my arms!" He threatened playfully and Gabriel sighed, wiping at his eyes. "Really? Voltron reference now?" He chuckled but Virgil could tell he was trying to hold back a sob.

Closing the distance between them Virgil hugged him tight and didn't let him go, not until Gabriel slowly hugged back, hid his face in his brothers shoulder and cried. He hasn't cried like this around anyone in what felt like forever, and it was...nice, comforting, he didn't feel so alone anymore. He was still mad at his brother, of course he was and his reasons were justified but now he knew Virgil's reasoning he knew it'll be easier to forgive.

"I just-" Gabriel sobbed, "I just needed you and-and-and-" he tried but his crying got in the way, Virgil used his one arm to hug him tighter, the other resting on the back of his head. "I know, I know" he whispered, clenching his eyes shut as he listened to his brother cry harrowingly.

"I love you" Gabriel expressed, in his current state saying it louder than he usually would. "I love you too" Virgil whispered into his ear, clutching onto the boy who nearly buckled and fell to the ground. "I fucking promise we'll text every day, alright? We can call whenever we're free too, but I'll drop anything if you shoot me a text, okay?" And that was an oath, Gabriel deserved it, he deserved so much more but it broke Virgil's heart knowing he couldn't give it to him.

Finally Gabriel's sobs calmed down and he relaxed in his brother's hold, slowly pushing himself away and using his sleeves to clean his eyes then nose.

"Thanks" he murmured, voice weak. Virgil smiled at him, "anything for you, Gabriel" he murmured, watching Gabriel sort himself out.

"So...America?" He drifted with a slight smile and Virgil grinned, "the beginning of summer, promise" he held out his arm and Gabriel shuffled into it, leaning into his side as the two left the room, returning to the kitchen where Harper waited. She walked up to Gabriel, wordlessly tugging him close for a hug he wasn't asking for but definitely wanted.

"You okay?" He murmured to Harper who nodded with a smile but Gabriel parted from her, lightly pushing her in Virgil's direction. "I'm still mad at you" he started at Virgil, "but I love you, blah blah sappy shit, as long as you treat me like a king we'll be cool" he managed a grin and Virgil smiled, watching as he pointed to Harper before leaving. The girl timidly shifted on her feet.

"Harper?"

"Okay, yes, I'm not...okay" she admitted, closing her eyes and letting it all out. "I've had to stay strong for Gabriel, he's my younger brother, he was distraught for so long when you left and I couldn't feel the same-at least, couldn't show it. I was his rock and rocks don't cry, right? But he knew. He didn't say anything but I know he knew. It started off subtle but he started to comfort me too...we were each other's anchors, still are, it looks like I'm basically his mother but when we're alone it's different - I won't bore you with the details but we both agreed the best way to finally deal with these feelings was to talk to you about them. Gabriel did, right? He didn't mean to get mad but-anyway, now it's my turn" she took a few deep breaths after that explanation, still not budging her eyes from the ground but she could see Virgil in her peripheral.

"I was hurt, as a kid I didn't really understand but all I knew was my older brother left and my younger was upset. For awhile I didn't like you, no one was telling us what happened, I thought you left for selfish means and I...began to hate you" she forced herself to admit even if it tore up her heart, "but then we got hints, we overheard conversations, listened to insults from the older generation. We put two and two together - something happened, we didn't know what but something did. That's when I began to forgive you, I guess, somewhat anyway. Holding all this hate was exhausting and useless so I gave up and accepted you left and might not be coming back" and finally she looked up to him.

"But you did. You were nice to me and Gabriel even if he was rude. Then we found out what happened and...I'm happy you left, you separated yourself from something toxic and I told myself I would always tell someone to move away from toxicity so I couldn't keep blaming you for doing what I would say would be right. It hurt, of course it did, but it hurt you too and I'm-" she pressed the palms of her hands to her eyes, suddenly choking on a sob.

"I'm just glad you're alive" she cried out before she crumbled.

Virgil caught her and hugged her, holding her up as she cried until his shoulder. It wasn't as bad as Gabriel but that didn't mean he didn't hug her any less tighter. "I am sorry for leaving, Harper" he whispered, "but I wasn't going to leave you two forever. You two kept me going, kept me wanting to live another day knowing we'd meet again - so thank you... for saving me" and that only made Harper cry harder.

It took less time for Harper to let it all out and she composed herself quicker than Gabriel, tying her hair back before cleaning her face with a few tissues.

"It's okay if you're mad at me" Virgil reassured, "I'm not mad" Harper shook her head, hands resting on the counter back facing her brother. "I'm upset-but not mad. Not anymore" she reinforced, putting the tissues into the bin before turning to her brother who offered a smile. She didn't find any trouble in returning it.

"You're a good brother, Virgil" she told him, "and we'll keep in touch. Text messages, calls, maybe even a few visits. I won't let you go again" and Virgil grinned, the two sharing one more hug. "I won't let myself go either" he promised.

Once Harper left the room in search for her younger brother Virgil returned upstairs after someone told him Olivia and her husband's whereabouts. He briefly rapped on their door before pushing it open after getting permission, spotting the two sitting on their bed, cuddled up close and talking quietly. A smile lit up on Olivia's face when she saw her brother, sitting up and patting the space before them.

"Virgil" she greeted, "I've wanted to talk to you" she added while Virgil sat down. "She didn't text you to ask" Michael added, "instead she acted like it was the nineteen fifties-" the two men let out a laugh when Olivia glared at her husband who smiled and kissed her cheek softly as an apology.

"It's important" Olivia carried on and Michael nodded in agreement, slowly sliding off the bed. "We've already talked and both of us said it would be best for you two to be alone" he then reached over and playfully ruffled Virgil's hair. "Don't let her eat you alive" he joked, quickly leaving the room before Olivia could do anything to him.

"That man" she sighed with a head shake but Virgil could see the love gleaming in her eyes. Finally she looked to Virgil who stayed silent, waiting until she was ready to talk.

Her smile wavered but Virgil could tell she was trying her hardest to stay strong, sitting up she reached over and delicately held Virgil's wrist, pulling his hand over until it rested across her flat stomach. He drew his eyebrows together in confusion for a split second before understanding swept across his face, jaw slacking in shock.

"You're-"

"Yep" she cut him off with a light giggle, "I'm pregnant" she confirmed and Virgil shakily drew his hand back when she let go, fiddling with his sleeves and not really knowing what to do with himself. "You're the second person we've told" she added which made Virgil feel very honoured, he assumed his parents knew but only him, Olivia and Michael? It was heartwarming.

"Will-...I mean-...it'll-he'll-they'll be okay, right?" He stumbled over words, not wanting to mess up, pull the wrong string and hurt her but she just smiled, soothing a hand across her stomach. "We're sure of it. What happened to Izzy..." she drifted, sometimes it was hard, excruciatingly so to talk about her but Olivia carried on. "Wasn't anything to do with us, or the pregnancy. Her death was just one of those cruel things life throws at people" Virgil nodded in understanding, staring at her stomach before a wide grin encompassed his face.

"Have you got names in mind?"

"Well, I was thinking The Return of Izzy, or Izzy 2.0 New and Improved" this made the siblings laugh, Virgil was thankful Olivia was able to find the light in this situation instead of letting it take her down.

"Maybe even Virgil, if they're a boy" and that made him freeze up a little, he wasn't surprised that his eyes teared up a little. "Or whatever you thinks good for a girl"

"Wait-really?" He whispered and Olivia chuckled, shuffling forward to be closer to Virgil to hug him tight. "My biggest regret in life is not finding you when Izzy was alive" she admitted quietly, "I want this time to be different - besides, me and Michael are terrible with names, I know you'll come up with something wonderful" she reassured, quickly giving him a comforting back rub before sitting up and returning to the top of the bed.

"We'll tell everyone else in time" Olivia then added, "for now I think everyone is tired, wanting to go home and relax before their lives start again" and Virgil nodded in understanding, he could get why they wanted to wait and he wouldn't tell a soul.

"Can I tell Roman?"

She smiled, "of course - wait until you're driving away, I won't want him freaking out and yelling 'Olivia is pregnant' in Spanish or something" and Virgil laughed because that is most certainly something Roman would do.

Michael returned after that (Olivia texting him something along the lines of 'return you turd'). After he wished them well he left the room a smile permanently stuck to his face at the idea of Olivia and Michael trying for another child and the fact he was the first person to know. Or second. Actually third- no need to get technical.

Heading down the staircase he searched through the house for awhile until he spotted Oliver sitting in one of the rooms facing the back garden, staring out the window with a colouring book sat in his lap.

"Beautiful day" Virgil started, the boy turned his head to greet him with a smile. "It is!" He quickly put the book on the table, sitting up eagerly, watching Virgil sit on the chair beside him. "How're you? You're leaving today, right?" Virgil chuckled and nodded, "Yep - And I'm fine-good, even...really good" a genuine smile settled on his face and Oliver adored the sight.

"You'll be back for Easter I've heard, d'you think you could get me a souvenir from America?" He then paused, "you don't have to-I mean-it's a silly suggestion-"

"I'll get you anything you want, Oliver" he cut off his rambles and the boy grinned sheepishly, playing with his hands on his lap. "Oh!" He suddenly chirped, "congratulations! On the wedding? I didn't get to say on Christmas" Oliver explained himself and Virgil chuckled.

"We're not married yet" he corrected but smiled appreciatively nonetheless, "thank you though. You'll most certainly be there - we're thinking of getting married in Spain" and this made the boy light up like a billion fireflies.

"I've wanted to go to Spain! Or anywhere outside of here! I can't wait" and he practically glowed in excitement even if the wedding would probably be during the summer, half the year away from now.

"Neither can I" Virgil smiled then stood up, gesturing for Oliver to do the same. Once he did Virgil hugged him tightly, resting his head on his shoulder. "As soon as you can pester your parents about spending time together. They want to but don't know how. They're smart but at the same time stupid" Oliver laughed, he agreed with that. "I will! I'll pester them whenever I get the chance, I promise" and when the two leaned back, Virgil grinned at his younger cousin who grinned right on back.

"See you at Easter, Oliver"

"Travel safely!" He called, quickly returning to his colouring book.

Now he spoke to everyone, he returned to his mother who was with dad in the kitchen, the two leaning on the counter, arms around each other, neither saying a word, just swaying back and forth with the last of the Christmas music playing before it became too old.

"Thank you for having me" he broke the silence but knew neither would mind. They opened their eyes and smiled at their son who leaned on the opposite side of the island counter. "Thank you for coming" his father countered, "you could've easily blocked us out of your life for good, we're grateful for the second chance" and he grinned at his dad.

"Yeah, yeah - and with this second chance I want you to be a dad" he gave him a pointed look, "don't make Gabriel and Harper be each other's parents. They can't turn to each other for help when they both have the same problems. Be there for them, okay?" Once they both nodded he relaxed.

"Good. Oh and- I'm pretty sure Gabriel wouldn't mind a snowball fight or two" he winked at his dad who smiled at the thought.

Finally, an hour later it was time to leave. They were all standing in the foyer, everyone giving out hugs to Roman, Virgil, William and Elizabeth while giving space to Mia who appreciated it greatly.

"I'll miss you, you gay American" Gabriel grinned at Roman, flinching when Harper swatted at him. Roman laughed brightly, "I'll miss you too, you gay Briton" at this Gabriel let out a bark of a laugh, "I'm not gay!" He argued and Roman rolled his eyes playfully.

"Hmm, and I'm not Spanish" he teased.

"He's definitely gay" Harper agreed with Roman, the two laughing when Gabriel gave them both glares. "I can't be gay if-..." he halted, glancing at Harper who smiled encouragingly. "If I'm bi" he countered quietly and Roman smiled gently.

"I'm bi too" he whispered which made Gabriel stand that little bit taller, lips pulling into a smile once again.

"Come on, Roman! We'll miss the flight!" Virgil called from outside and Roman gave everyone one more last grand goodbye before he rushed outside wearing his five layers once again.

They entered their car quickly, Virgil opening his window to wave at William's car, grinning when he saw all three of them wave back.

Once they were out of the driveway and away from the house, Virgil finally felt it, finally realised that he was going home, away from his family again. It made a few tears well up in his eyes, Roman didn't say anything, just reached over and held his hand. He knew how he felt - he felt the same every year when his family left for home.

They were on the highway when conversations steered from normality to something that's been on Virgil's mind for quite some time.

"Am I really that gullible?" He asked, Roman glancing over at him questioningly.

"I mean-" he shrugged, staring at the road while leaning on the wheel. "She tricked me without much...Charlotte, the whole manipulation shit" he explained further, "while it didn't seem to faze you" he glanced at Roman from the corner of his eye, quickly looking back at the road when he realised Roman's smile fell.

"Because" he started slowly, running the words through his head over and over. "It was-I mean-" he sighed, "I've been manipulated before" he admitted quietly and Virgil tensed.

"What? By who?"

And this made Roman even more awkward. The tension in the car was high, Virgil wanted to lesson it but he also wanted to know.

"By my...parents" and Virgil's eyes widened in horror. "What?! But-!"

And now Roman was chuckling, relaxing in his seat when he realised hey, it wasn't actually that hard to admit his past, something he kept away from Virgil who deserved to know now they were getting married soon.

"Virgil" he looked over at him with a light smile.

"I'm adopted"

January 5th - 1:00pm

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

206K 9.4K 59
Orm Kornnaphat's feelings for Lingling Sirilak have undergone a transformation over time. Initially, at the age of 11, Orm held an unromantic, platon...
2M 57.4K 95
On the twelfth hour of October 1st, 1989, 43 women gave birth. It was unusual as none of them had been pregnant since the first day they started. Sir...
94.2K 1.7K 44
Little mix, a four-pieced girl group. Of course Jesy, Leigh-anne, Jade and Perrie loved each other to bits, even if Jade and Perrie were closer than...
385K 14.2K 41
Frank has done some bad things in his life. Some really bad things. But Gerard, his new cellmate....yeah, he's done worse. Much worse. Frank doesn't...