Ten Years

By -Satan_-

It was the tenth of December. Virgil was watching his idiotic boyfriend try and choose which Christmas tree t... More

§ Word from Author §
§ 1 §
§ 2 §
§ 3 §
§ 4 §
§ 5 §
§ 6 §
§ 7 §
§ 8 §
§ 9 §
§ 10 §
§ 11 §
§ 12 §
§ 13 §
§ 14 §
§ 15 §
§ 16 §
§ 17 §
§ 18 §
§ 19 §
§ 20 §
§ 21 §
§ 22 §
§ 24 §
§ 25 §
§ Word from Author §

§ 23 §

1.1K 110 159
By -Satan_-

December 25th - 7:00am

It was a peaceful quiet morning in the Bright's household. The birds outside weren't chirping, the heating inside was set to turn on at this exact time, making it feel like one was sleeping inside a cosy oven. Everyone laid down on their beds asleep, either alone or with their partners, cuddled up close or stretched out far, the blankets covering their body's or somehow halfway across the room. Either way everyone was happy, content, their dreams uplifting, the silence settling.

It being Christmas Day one would expect someone to be up by now—

"IT'S CHRISTMAS FUCKERS!"

And there it is. The peaceful quiet morning was no more.

Soon enough Gabriel was grabbing pots and pans, giving them out to the children to clash against each other upstairs, yelling and screaming for everyone to get up because it was Christmas and they were opening gifts!

Not only did they clash pots and pans, they opened doors and set clock alarms right in the doorway, turning them on to blare in exactly one minute - which they all did one after another. It didn't even take a minute before every single family member was up and awake anyway.

"That's it I'm going to jail for manslaughter" Virgil spoke after pushing himself up from Roman's chest. The man beneath him laughed, reaching up to Virgil's hair, pulling him down for a sweet morning kiss. "Feliz navidad, cariño" he whispered and Virgil couldn't help but smile, closing his eyes and resting his forehead against Roman's.

"Merry Christmas too, puppy"

"hEY! UP! GET YOUR ASSES MOVING IT'S CHRISTMAS!" Gabriel suddenly yelled from their door and Virgil groaned, grabbing his pillow before launching himself off the bed and chasing after Gabriel who let out an unholy screech before he scattered, flying down the stairs and through the house with Virgil yelling at him all the while.

Roman rolled onto his side and laughed hard, not at all feeling bad for Virgil who hates being woken up so early. However when he thought he got away from the worst of it three small bodies were flung onto him and he groaned as Henry, Riley and Sebastian began jumping on him, all repeating; 'Get up, Disney Prince!' and who was he to say, no?

"This Disney Prince isn't afraid to fight" Roman suddenly sat up, tackling the kids down and tickling their sides, lighting up as their shrieks of laughter filled the air. In the doorway Mia stood watching on with a soft smile, rather not getting involved and instead waiting until her mother and father left their room so she could stay close to them - she was still a shy bean when all the family packed into one room. 

It didn't take long before everyone was standing in the living room still in their pyjamas and their hair in a mess. Even still, not one was grumpy or annoyed with being woken up so unpleasantly, it was Christmas and everyone was excited for their gifts even though most knew it would almost entirely consist of socks.

"MA!" Gabriel yelled, the boy bursting into the room, not a few seconds later Virgil appearing in the doorway, pillow in his hands and murder in his eyes but it was still playful nonetheless. "He'll kill me!" He yelled and all Amelia did was laugh, taking a seat on the couch and straightening her dressing gown. "I'd be doing the same if I weren't so tired" she joked and Gabriel whined, looking at Harper who had her hair up in a bun and expression screaming she'd do more than swat at him if he got near.

"Roman?" The man looked up and grinned, rising up from the ground and over to Virgil, curling an arm around his waist and tilting his head up for a kiss. Instantly the pillow was dropped and Virgil was in Roman's arms, being carried over the room and into the armchair.

"That's it, Roman has super powers" Olivia commented, "no one could ever make Virgil less angry ten years ago" everyone broke out into chuckles while Roman lifted his head, raising an eyebrow in confusion.

"Ten? I thought it was eight" and Virgil paled a little, suddenly shifting out of Roman's lap, fiddling with his sleeves.

"Ah-well-um-long story, actually" he chuckled awkwardly, looking at his boyfriend with worried eyes. The man silently prompted him to continue. "I lied- when we first met? I told you I had only been in America for, like, a week before but it was actually two years.." he drifted, wondering if Roman would get mad at him but when a grin broke out on his face Virgil relaxed.

"Oh, Virgil, that doesn't bother me! Besides, you know the only reason why we're having this conversation is because it's been lingering on the author's mind and he couldn't think of another place to put this so here we are!" He suddenly jumped up from his seat, clasping his hands together in excitement. "Who's ready to open some gifts?!" He called out and the children yelled out in excitement, grabbing presents labelled with their names and shredding the wrapping before the adults could even tell them to wait.

"Hey, Gabe" Virgil grabbed the boy's attention while he searched for a gift of his own. Lifting his head, he narrowed his eye suspiciously, waiting to be hit around the head when instead Virgil silently gestured for him to follow.

"What?" He whined, "But the gifts-"

"Go, you moron" Harper swatted at his arm and he shot her a look, "and don't be offensive" she added quietly and that made his eyes roll. Begrudgingly he stood up and followed Virgil out the room, conversations becoming muffled as they closed the door.

"I wanted to apologise" Virgil quickly began, "the whole thing with Charlotte? It's a lot to explain but-...I'm sorry"

Gabriel nodded, chewing his lip for a moment. "I hate being so, y'know, sentimental and shit but I forgive you. Really? I was just mad that because of her we might never be..." he sighed, eyes dropping to stare at the ground. "Brothers" he finally admitted, "she drove you away the first time, I thought she'd do the same, and I got mad and assumed you wanted her to force you to leave so you'd have a reason" he explained, one arm reaching across his stomach to scratch the other awkwardly.

"Gabe.." Virgil frowned, "we are brothers - since you were born we have been brothers and that's never changed. I would spend the rest of my life in her presence if it meant us being close" and that made Gabriel smile a little, looking up at Virgil who gave him a half smile in return.

"You're also way cooler than William" he added which made Gabriel laugh.

"Come on" Virgil sighed, opening his arms, "bring it in" he encouraged and Gabriel purposely sighed loudly before he and Virgil were hugging, resting each other's chins on their shoulders. "Don't make me cry" Gabriel grumbled and Virgil chuckled, hugging him tighter. "I'm more emotional in the morning"

"Yeah, no shit" Virgil quipped, "you're still cool though"

Gabriel leaned back and sent him a genuine soft smile before punching Virgil in the shoulder. "Don't take me away from my gifts again" he warned before darting back into the room, sliding on his knees right up to the gifts. Virgil rolled his eyes and watched on from the doorway, some of the adults had grabbed their gifts (mainly the young ones) and opened them on the couch while the rest waited for the children to be done.

Speaking of, Henry, Riley and Sebastian were finished at this point but didn't want to believe it. Every kid would want more once they finish but in the end they would have to accept what they had already (which was quite a lot) was it.

Roman didn't have much (but he honestly didn't mind knowing he'd get more from his family when he returned to America) Amelia had gotten him a few gifts and labelled them that they were from them all as she didn't know he was coming beforehand she had to buy them last minute. He was content with leaving his stuff to the side and playing with kids and their toys, leading them away from the tree so everyone else could get to the gifts.

"Hey, Ro?" Virgil called and the man shot him a grin, giving him his attention. Virgil had grabbed the gift he'd gotten Roman which he hid behind the tree, handing it to him so him to open. Well, pull out of the red bag.

"Aw, Dearest!" He grinned, shuffling to sit beside Virgil, opening the bag and sticking his hand inside without looking, slowly withdrawing it to stare at a plush toy of Simba.

"You had all the other lions but him" Virgil explained himself and Roman grinned brightly, ready to give him a kiss but Virgil told him there was more. Excitedly he reached in again and pulled our a box containing makeup.

"You said you've wanted to try wear makeup more often, right? Cus' I do? And you still want lessons, right?" Virgil wanted to reinforce, whenever he gave out gifts he always felt a little anxious about it, which was most certainly showing in his words.

Roman smiled softly and pulled him into a sweet kiss. "I do, Dearest, and I love these - gracias" he kissed him again before putting the gifts back inside the bag, rising up from the ground to find the other gifts and put them inside the bag, too.

"Thank you, Virgil" Camila's voice called and he looked over at her to see she had found his gift to her, he sent a smile and a nod of acknowledgment. Before coming here he spent the day buying gifts for each family member because even if at the time he didn't like any of them not having gifts to give on Christmas (especially one he was invited to) would be very awkward indeed.

Suddenly a purple bag appeared in front of him and he looked up at Roman who grinned excitedly. "Hey, you didn't have to" Virgil took the bag while he said what he said to Roman every year. At this point Roman ignored it, plopping down onto the floor before him, watching him with a wriggle of excitement.

Reaching into the bag, Virgil withdrew a box filled with fabric and colourful bobbins. "I watched you make this jacket and must I say you are brilliant at sewing and creating wonderful clothes such as that purple masterpiece" he explained while touching the jacket Virgil somehow always wore. He had sluggishly pulled it on as soon as he was awoken that morning.

"I also knew you were running low - so you're welcome" he grinned proudly and Virgil rolled his eyes, "thanks, dork" he said while putting the box aside, reaching into the bag for the second item to pull out a card. "I know you don't like many gifts - as you've said too many times" Roman emphasised and Virgil blushed lightly, murmuring 'shut up'.

"So I saw this, thought of you, and want you to read it" he encouraged, taking the bag and box, putting the box inside the bag before pushing it to the side, watching Virgil with a soft smile adorning his features.

While he opened the envelope, he and Roman smiled at a few family members who called out 'thank you's' to them once they found and opened their gifts from them.

The front of the card held a picture of a black kitten looking less than pleased with a puppy laying beside them who looked more than happy, butt in the air, eyes wide and curious, mouth open, tongue out, looking like he was smiling.

Opening the card, on the left side in big words it read 'the front is us!' with a heart encasing it. Looking at the cover again he agreed, sending Roman a playful glare which he giggled at. Finally he read the note inside.

Merry Christmas Dearest!!!!

I'll keep this card short and sweet (just like you ;) and also because you don't like reading unless it's a Tumblr post! I won't say when I'm writing this card, but it is when we're here in the land of tea and crumpets! (Which aren't as great as everyone makes them about to be, by the way).

From your first reaction to the message from Olivia, to the plane trip and tense drives I thought your family were going to be a bunch of Voldemort's in one home but instead I was pleasantly surprised - I don't know what happened, nor do I want to, but I know it was bad - I made sure to try and come here with an open mind and to say I was instantly drawn to each family member would be an understatement. Apart from that one your family is wonderful and have improved over the years that's for sure.

However, let's focus on you, shall we? I wanted to use this opportunity to say how proud I am of you, as cheesy as you'll see it you've come a long way since I first met you - eight years ago you were this closed off boy who barely interacted with anyone. It took awhile before you trusted me but I don't blame you for it. When you first started to open up to me it was like the clouds parted and the sun was shining brightly once again - we did began to date quite quickly, you knowing everything while I knew so little, but I wouldn't change that for the world! It was so exciting to learn more and more about you in small doses, always waiting in anticipation for more, you are so very interesting!! I wish you could see that. I also wish you could see how beautiful you are, you self-deprecating fool you.

The past eight years of my life have been the best experience so far and I hope I'll be able to spend the rest of my life with you.

To end this card, I'll quote a favourite line from Winnie The Pooh; "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you"

Virgil looked up from the card at a beaming Roman, doing his very best to keep his tears at bay. "You're a fucking sap, Ro" he chuckled, using his sleeve to rub his eyes while putting the card back into the envelope.

"Ah yes, but you wouldn't want it any other way" he cooed, sliding the bag back closer to Virgil with a wicked grin.

"What?" Virgil rose his eyebrow, tentatively taking the purple bag in his grasp again.

"You missed out on the last - and best - gift" he explained now bouncing a little where he sat, hands gripping his sleeves tightly, eyes filled with nerves and anticipation.

"I swear Princey if this is some sort of prank-" he said while pulling out a small box, going silent when he stared down at it in his hands.

"Roman-"

"Wait" he murmured, taking the box from his hand, Virgil lifting both of his to cover his mouth, now the tears were brimming his eyes and he knew he wouldn't be able to stop.

Sitting in the middle of the room, surrounded by conversations between family members who were none the wiser Roman slowly opened the box, holding it out to Virgil so he could see the simple band ring encrusted with purple jewels.

"Virgil Bright" he whispered, tears pricking the corner of his eyes too. "Will you live to be a hundred with me?" And Virgil choked on a sob, nodding his head quickly while shuffling closer, their knees touching.

Roman smiled widely, reaching forward and taking Virgil's hands away from his mouth, "yes" he whispered quickly, "yes, yes - I'll live to be a hundred with you" he confirmed and Roman let out a few happy sobs too, gripping Virgil's left hand shakily, sliding on the ring that fit perfectly.

Quickly the men were standing up and hugging tight, crying onto each other's shoulders. The adults in the room looked over in confusion.

"What's happening?"

"Why are they crying?"

"Oh my god-is that a ring box-"

"Oh my is that a ring?!"

"hE PROPOSED!?"

Roman and Virgil laughed into each other's shoulders as the room filled with hysteria, people yelling about the proposal with the odd 'I better be receiving an invite!'

They thought forever and more passed from how long they hugged, impossibly pressed up against each other, arms hugging so tight they were surprised they could still breathe.

"I love you so fucking much puppy" Virgil whispered and Roman laughter tearily, finally leaning back and cupping Virgil's cheek with one hand, the other squeezing his hip.

"I love you too hermosura" he whispered, the two pressing their lips together in a kiss filled with passionate love.

"I better be treated like that one day" Gabriel murmured and Harper swatted his arm. "Shut up and enjoy it" she whispered, smiling at her brother who she had never seen look so happy before.

In the end Virgil took it back, although the first Christmas he spent with Roman and his family was something special, this Christmas definitely took it's spot as the best Christmas ever.

Looking around the room once everyone finished with their gifts, listening to their conversations, watching them smile and laugh - the children sitting in the middle with their toys, playing away to their hearts content, Gabriel, Harper, Olivia and Aria gaming on the Wii console and all the while him sitting on his fiancé's lap.

Yep, definitely the best Christmas ever.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.2K 323 25
The title says it all. A second chance for my OTP Brutasha, Hulkwidow, whatever you want to call it;) Credits for my cover, but I don't own the art...
1M 62.8K 119
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
1.1M 35.8K 62
𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
1.2K 80 8
Ember is the princess of Erakylon. She is the sister of Prince Skye. When she goes to Alfea College, she find out things about herself that she never...