The Embers Book I: The First...

By FantasyNovelist

Fire: It is one of the most destructive forces on this very earth. For Taylor Roth and Jamie Micheal's they a... More

Chapter One: Just Another Day.....If Only That Were True.
Chapter Two: Tales Of War
Chapter Four: Escaping The Flames
Chapter Five: To War!
Chapter Six: Lessons
Chapter Seven: Difficult Reunions
Chapter Eight: Forging Bonds And A Troubled Heart
Chapter Nine: We Burn Them All
Chapter Ten: Baiting A Predator
Chapter Eleven: Insolence
Chapter Twelve: Unexpected Arrival's
Chapter Thirteen: Hope And Despair
Chapter Fourteen: The Russian
Chapter Fifteen: Tradition
Chapter Sixteen: Necessary Aggression
Chapter Seventeen: Days Gone By
Chapter Eighteen: Hard Choices
Chapter Nineteen: Inferno
Chapter Twenty: My Vengeance
Chapter Twenty-One: Casualties Of War. FIN

Chapter Three: Choosing A Path

411 19 28
By FantasyNovelist

Chapter Three: Choosing A Path

They sat there in stunned silence as the minutes ticked by. The air was becoming so thick with tension; you wouldn't be able to cut it with a knife before long. Taylor spoke first which surprised even himself.

"So what you're saying is that I'm technically king?" asked Taylor. His hands shook in anticipation of the answer as he looked down at his lap not having the courage to look up just yet.

"To put it directly yes you are, although not officially announced. Before we do, we have to train you so you can lead as you were meant to," said Tobias looking directly at him.

"What if I refuse?" asked Taylor, finally looking up but he was angry now. It was almost as if they expected him to do it.

Tobias leaned forward and looked him straight in the eye unflinching. "That is your choice Taylor and I would never dream of forcing that upon you if that's what you're thinking" replied Tobias reading the expression on his face.

"But what you have to understand is that when we let you walk away you can't go back to your old life, not with the Cyturion's aware of your existence. You and your family will have to disappear forever and with a man like Noran, he won't ever stop chasing you." his voice weighed down with regret.

"I need time to think about this. It doesn't just affect me. I don't want my family caught up in a war if I can help it." said Taylor standing and making his way out of the room to get some space from the strange men to think.

Before he walked through the door he turned to look at Tobias. "What about my family? They aren't safe." said Taylor now thinking that it should've been his first thing to say instead of his last.

"Your parents are on the way to a safe location and we have our people on their way to Oxford to collect your sister as well. We've spun a story that you and Jamie witnessed a murder as a result, you are under protective custody by the police," said Tobias.

"When can I see them?" asked Taylor.

"Soon I promise. Once we have them all secure and a phone line established which hasn't any risk of being wire tapped. We'll set up a call with them. Then you can see them not long after that. You have my word Taylor." said Tobias. His voice yet again convincing Taylor of his words.

"Good because if they're harmed, because I'll be going after this Noran" said Taylor. Then he walked out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him his rage having doubled in mere seconds.

Jamie considered going after him but thought better of it knowing that was the last thing Taylor would want. He wasn't an angry person but when he was angry you steered clear of him.

"What about my family? My brother even, he's still in hospital!" asked Jamie, his voice wavering with panic.

"We've done the same and made sure there's protection placed at the hospital for your brother. They'll be safe as I promised Taylor with his family," Tobias' voice was warming as was his smile, in a bid to calm Jamie.

It didn't work; Jamie twiddled his thumbs still anxious about what he was going to do. How could he possibly join a war?

****

Cyturion Base, somewhere in the English Countryside.

"This is unacceptable Noran"! roared the man with fiery red hair as he rose from his chair, slamming his fist down on the cold metal table causing it to shake violently.

"Watch your tongue Caius. These could be the last words you ever form," growled Noran from his position standing by the door of the war room.

The war room was a dank dark basement with, a metal rectangular table in the very middle. Computers littered the room manned by a person the vast majority of the time. Maps and documents were spread out all over the surface of the table, listing targets and sources of information on new recruits.

"Don't you threaten me. I could disintegrate you in a heartbeat!" snarled Caius.

Caius' fiery red hair made him easily recognizable. His scar enforced his unique image, running down the length of his face passing by his right eye down to his chin. It was caused by an Arturion, some years ago. He was lucky enough to get close to do it. Well it was more unlucky for him when Caius struck him down like the parasite he was.

"Careful, you should know better than to challenge me. Do not make me remind you why old friend." said Noran attempting to calm him. He did not want it to turn into a fight. That was the last thing they needed.

"Apologies brother. I should not have threatened, but you must understand my anger. The heir of Arturios is at your very feet no less and then swept away, lost to us." said Caius. Sighing in frustration, he descended back into his seat and looked at Noran, not breaking eye contact for even a second.

"I understand but we will find him before his powers manifest. With power of his magnitude it will take time before he's a serious threat. I have men everywhere attempting to track down his family in order to draw him out." said Noran confidently. Shuffling a few documents in front of them, attempting to tidy the mess before him and to keep himself calm.

"I hope you are right Noran. We cannot afford any more delays. We need all obstacles removed and this boy could ruin everything we've worked towards the last five hundred years." said Caius, staring Noran straight in the eye. Testing his confidence, looking for the slightest waver of faith in his statement. He found none and this was why he led them. He never doubted himself.

"He will be removed painfully as he watches his own flesh peel down to the bone." said Noran, grinning like a mad man. A man who knew he was mad and was enjoying every moment. Caius returned the smile feeling the anticipation of toying with the ancestor of the false king.

"Good to hear it. I shall enjoy it just as much. Maybe even more so." replied Caius, still smiling, his black eyes twinkling wickedly.

The door to the basement opened up and a young man, short with jet black hair holding an envelope in his hand. He looked to Noran cautiously before bowing his head in respect. He stepped forward and handed Noran the envelope. Noran snatched it from his grasp, annoyed at his hesitance. He tore it open with his thumb. A smile grew at the picture he pulled out from within.

"Thank you Magner. Go get something to eat and some rest, you have earned it." said Noran, waving Magner off as if he was a fly annoying him. Magner merely bowed his head again and left the room.

"Good news Noran?" asked Caius, raising an eyebrow in interest.

"Oh yes, good news indeed Caius." said Noran. He smiled as he threw the picture across the desk to within Caius's reach.

Caius picked up the photo a smile grew across his features, his heart pumping with excitement he hadn't felt in years.

"So this is the work of the new recruit. He might be insane but he is a blessing. We thought he wouldn't be able to target specific people so soon. It's just been random people so far. What a remarkable talent!" exclaimed Caius, still staring in awe at the picture.

It was a snapshot of a mansion from the air with lush green woodland spread out at the rear of the mansion a single track road leading to it with not even a farm close by.

"It will be a glorious day when we crush them beneath our feet like the ants they have always been. They can hide from us no longer, my brother." said Noran.

"Indeed. How soon do we march upon them?" asked Caius, eager for battle he had not experienced for many lifetimes. The very thought of it caused adrenaline to course through his veins.

"Oh, very soon, the wheels are already in motion. Glory to the true king. May his name forever be etched into history." said Noran. He smiled one last time as he looked at the picture again, feeling pure glee at the thought of battle.

****

The Arturion Mansion outside of London

Taylor was led to a bunk at the very end of the corridor, trying to stay out of sight as best as he possibly could. He hoped he would be left alone for a while at the very least, to get a chance to clear his head which was pounding faster than a dub-step track. The mattress he lay on was hard and smelt funny. Apparently hygiene wasn't on the 'to do list' around here. He tried to get comfortable rolling over to each side with no luck. No matter how he positioned himself the springs continued to dig into him, it wasn't going to work. In the end he decided to go for a walk instead. He made his way down the staircase and out of the mansion through the front door.

Surprisingly neither of the guards on the inside of the door attempted to stop him; the only action made was a bow from the both of them, catching him off guard. He merely carried on as he pleased. Walking across the gravelled path to the back of the mansion in the direction of the densest part of the forest, he noticed how tranquil and calm it was here. There was a road but it seemed like the sort of country road not used all that often. Admiring the view around him, he couldn't help but marvel at how the hills rolled like speed bumps in the distance, decorated with luscious green trees and hedgerows, the odd part spoilt by a dull grey road.

Taylor made his way down into the forest and began to walk between the various trees a couple of oaks dotted here and there. They were all packed in tightly making it dark even as the sun shone brightly outside.

As he brushed his hand over the trunk of an oak Taylor heard a twig snap to his right making him swivel his head in the direction of the disturbance. He wouldn't normally react to such a thing full of fear but he was in a place he didn't know and had people out to kill him. He darted behind the oak with his back pressed tightly to it, the rough bark scraping his back as he did.

Miraculously he'd managed to get his breathing at a steady pace despite his heart's relentless attempts at beating against his ribcage, like caged animal trying to break free. Taylor decided to peer around the oak to his right to see if he could spot anything. At first he saw only trees and more trees. Then his eyes landed on a man some twenty feet away if that with binoculars glued to his eyes in the direction of the mansion.

The rustling of leaves above caught Taylor's attention. He looked up to see a man sat on a branch about ten feet up in the oak with his back up against the trunk as if he didn't have a care in the world. He casually tapped his foot on the branch not making a sound as he examined the man with the binoculars.

He had copper brown hair and white eyes. He couldn't have been far off his late twenties wearing just a white t-shirt and black jeans. He merely looked down smiled at Taylor whilst putting his finger to his lips then he disappeared into a whirl of white fire, leaving a scorch mark against the branch. He then reappeared behind the man with the binoculars and tapped him on the shoulder.

The man spun about, his arms becoming wreathed in black flames disintegrating the sleeves of the jumper he wore. The mysterious Arturion already had his arms covered in white flames licking their way up and down his flesh, looking dangerous and unpredictable. He grabbed the Cyturion by the throat, lifting him up then slamming him back down. The Cyturion gasped as the air was blasted from his lungs. His body collided harshly with the hard ground beneath him a grimace of pain on his face when a rock had smashed into his lower back.

"You had better start singing scum. Believe me, the last thing I want to do is force it out of you." said the Arturion in a smooth Irish accent.

"Fuck you!" snarled the Cyturion louder than expected despite the flaming hand clenched about his throat.

The skin was already sizzling, then without warning the Cyturion vanished amongst a vortex of black flames leaving nothing but air between the Arturion's grip. Taylor heard a whoosh from behind and turned on the spot to see the man again, right before a fist wreathed in obsidian black came crashing in. He didn't even get close as within an instant the Arturion was there his own hand grasped the wrist of the Cyturion. The Arturion sighed heavily closing his eyes for a moment opening them again. His eyes flared with anger that seemed as though it could never be matched. That look even made Taylor want to take a step back. This man was not to be trifled with.

"Noran will kill you boy even if I could not, not a soul that you care for is safe. Abandon all hope, false king." said the man, a smile growing upon his lips. This did make Taylor step back. "This is what these people are like, Jesus" he thought his eyes growing wide, fearful at the thought of anything happening to his family.

"I was talking to you." said the Arturion. Then he yanked the man's arm away, grabbed him by his throat again and slammed him back to the ground.

"I don't appreciate people swearing at me, or attacking defenceless people. Now tell me how did you find this place, before I decide to get a little rougher?" His voice was surprisingly calm despite the look his eyes carried as he spoke.

"Ha, wouldn't you like to know, but I'm not going to tell you that easily. You'll just have to force it out of me, even then I might not feel like talking." said the man, smiling. The flesh around the hand holding his neck bubbled with a sickening pop, blackening as it burnt the flesh.

The Arturion pulled his hand away from the man's throat then punched him square in the nose followed by a resounding crunch, crouching over him and pinning his shoulders down with his knees, effectively sitting on him. He pulled back his fist again and struck the man once more, even harder this time as Taylor observed the dazed look on his face. He struck again and again until his opponent was completely still. At first Taylor thought the Arturion had killed him but then realized the man's chest was rising and falling at a steady pace.

"So you're the descendant to Arturios." said the Arturion looking up at Taylor as he picked up the Cyturion, flinging him over his shoulder. Grunting slightly from the effort, the white flames had dissipated beforehand leaving him looking normal- aside from the sleeves of his t-shirt now missing.

"Um...that's what they tell me. Who are you?" asked Taylor. His eyes still darted everywhere as if there were more Cyturion's hiding in trees waiting to attack them.

"Names Mylar and I didn't mean to scare you with that display. I was hoping I didn't have to resort to beating the shit out of the lad. These Cyturion's are somewhat fanatical." said Mylar smiling weakly.

It was as if he was ashamed at having to use violence. Such a strange thing for a man to feel. Given the ability to manipulate fire with his bare hands such power others could only dream of. Taylor thought.

"But it's a good thing that Tobias instructed me to keep an eye on you. Otherwise you'd have been nice and crispy." said Mylar, smirking once again. Taylor wasn't impressed by being followed and couldn't withhold the scowl etching its way across his features.

"Don't look at me like that. You didn't expect Tobias to let our only hope of survival to go wandering about unguarded did you?" quizzed Mylar, enjoying being able to mock him so easily.

"No. I guess not." replied Taylor. As he began to make his way back out of the forest towards the mansion. Taylor looked back to see Mylar following with his captive still on his shoulder.

They made their way around to the front of the mansion where the twins stood by the door, smoking and chatting loudly. They soon stopped once they spotted Mylar with the Cyturion on his shoulder.

"Don't tell me that's a fucking Cyturion, Mylar?" asked Farn, putting his cigarette out with the heel of his shoe.

"Okay I won't but it won't make you feel any better. Help me get him inside though. He's a lot heavier than he looks." said Mylar, setting the man down.

Farn took an arm and draped it over his shoulder with Mylar doing the same. They both carried him in through the doors. Michal opened them so they could pass over the threshold without stopping.

"Oi, get Tobias down here and tell him it's urgent, it can't wait." said Mylar to a young woman with blond hair who was walking by the door with a bundle of paper in her arms.

Her eyes widened at the sight of them carrying the man. She gave a curt nod to Mylar and instantly vanished into a flash of white flames without even saying a word. After a minute or two of nervous waiting, there was another whoosh of fire as Tobias emerged from within the flames. He strolled straight over to Mylar and Farn who'd unceremoniously dumped their captive on the floor.

"Was he alone?" asked Tobias as he looked down at the man on the floor.

"Seemed like it, but there's the possibility of other scouts dotted about the forest. I've always said we need more patrols in there," said Mylar, sounding irritated by the lack of security.

"A warning I should have heeded. However, I did not think they would ever find this place." said Tobias, who looked worried as he crouched down and began to search through the man's pockets. By the time he was done he'd found only a phone and some money.

"He also had a pair of binoculars so it was obvious enough that he was taking note of defences about the mansion" said Mylar.

"Then they'll be attacking soon, especially now that one of theirs won't be reporting in his findings. We have thirty minutes at best to interrogate him. Get everyone evacuated immediately. No delays." ordered Tobias

"Farn, Michal, get him into one of the side rooms." said Mylar.

"Okay, we'll take him into the room just by the right of the stairs." said Michal. The twins bent down to scoop the man up. Mylar nodded then was gone in a flash of white as the fire consumed his body leaving the space where he stood vacant.

"I don't think I'm ever going to get used to them doing that." thought Taylor. He watched the twins pick up the passed unconscious Cyturion and carried him off to the door mentioned a moment before.

"Taylor, are you alright?" asked Tobias, who walked up to him placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder and snapping him out of his train of thought.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Where are we going to go?" asked Taylor, wondering what strange and unknown location he and Jamie would be dragged to next.

"We'll be going to our people up in Wales. It's a very secure location and far better protected than the mansion, we hadn't planned on moving you quite so soon though" said Tobias. He stood back flipping open the Cyturion's phone.

"I don't know much about technology but at least I can work a phone." said Tobias, as he scrolled through the contacts and messages trying to find anything remotely useful.

"Damn, not a thing. He was smart enough to wipe his phone clean before getting close to the mansion. No time to have it hacked into either. Hopefully he tells us everything now." said Tobias. Then he stuffed the phone roughly into the pocket of his jeans.

"Will he though?" quizzed Taylor, who now found himself more and more curious about this new world he was being tossed into.

"Depends on how strong his resolve is." replied Tobias. He gestured for a man to come over to them handing him the phone from his pocketfor safe keeping.

Taylor thought back on what the Cyturion had said to him in the forest. These people were out for blood, his family's blood. They weren't safe and he needed to protect them. He now knew how very real the threat was and he had to act.

"Tobias?" said Taylor. Who felt nervous about the decision he was about to make. To be honest it was already made. He had no other choice, his family came first.

"Yes, Taylor." said Tobias. Looking to him, his face filled with apprehension.

"I'll join the war. Train me and I will lead the Arturion's until the war is over but my family is my highest priority nothing comes before them, otherwise I'm gone." said Taylor.

"I promise you that my king." said Tobias. Then he dropped to one knee bowing his head low in respect. It still made Taylor feel awkward even though he had now chosen his path, there was no going back.

AN: Hope people enjoyed this one and hope the bit of action got people's attention :). More action kicks in from the fourth Chapter onwards promise!

Please Vote/Comment and share with your friends it all helps :).

FN

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.9K 290 18
Aenor's known Murtagh her entire life, he was there when she needed him, until he disappeared of course. Things change and people grow up and when Mu...
4.2K 326 51
After Cirilla declines the throne, the emperor of Nilfgaard is left without someone suitable to take his place. Nobles start to produce lies and intr...
2.5K 87 11
|๐–‰.๐–œ ๐–˜๐–Š๐–—๐–Ž๐–Š๐–˜ 11-13 ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆยท๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ซ๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ง๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฃ๐˜บ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜จ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๏ฟฝ...
655 18 1
***COMPLETE*** Ambushed by an ancient predator, Thean alters his destiny with one thrust of his trembling spear. The kill changes his life, what he...