My Mate, My Best Friend

By ashlcross

My human best friend Carlie Rose has been crushing on Daniel Bensen for two years now. I've began to notice h... More

Characters
Chapter 1 - Obsession
Chapter 2 - The Rose Family
Chapter 3 - My Teacher Gave Me a Tampon
Chapter 4 - Nicknames
Chapter 5 - Eighteen
Chapter 6 - Mate
Chapter 7 - The Plan
Chapter 8 - Lessons
Characters Pt. 2
Chapter 9 - The 200 Hall
Author's Note
Chapter 10 - In His Eyes
Chapter 11 - Kidnapped
Chapter 12 - Suppressed Memories
Chapter 13 - Waffles and Tater Tots
Chapter 14 - Scent
Chapter 15 - Mama Benson
Chapter 16 - School Dance
Chapter 17 - Wolf
Chapter 18 - Control
Chapter 19 - De Nada
Chapter 20 - Princess
Chapter 21 - String Cheese
Chapter 22 - Pegasus
Chapter 23 - Revelation
Chapter 24 - Lost
Chapter 25 - Wounded
Chapter 26 - To Lose a Mate
Chapter 27 - Reunited
Chapter 28 - Return
Chapter 29 - Missing
Chapter 30 - Party
Chapter 31 - Marked
Chapter 32 - Bath Time
Chapter 33 - Wolves
Chapter 34 - Boyfriends
Chapter 35 - Surprise Attack
Chapter 36 - Abducted
Chapter 37 - Vengeance
Chapter 38 - Cure
Extra: Panic
Chapter 39 - On My Tail
Chapter 40 - War
Chapter 41 - Aftermath
Chapter 42 - Safety
Chapter 43 - Rebuilding
Chapter 44 - Amends
Chapter 45 - Normality
Chapter 46 - New Couple
Chapter 47 - Finals
Chapter 48 - Prom
Chapter 49 - Graduation
Chapter 50 - Home
Chapter 51 (Final Chapter) - My Mate and My Best Friend
Epilogue #1: Alternative - Anthony's Mate
Epilogue #2: Narlie
Epilogue #3: Jeremy's Consideration
Epilogue #4: Lucas and His Mate
Epilogue #5: Getaway Date
Epilogue #6: Benson Baby

Extra: Anthony

13.4K 385 126
By ashlcross

My heart sank when I saw the arm of another male wrap around Lauren's waist.

I immediately remembered what Jason had told me around two years ago when I found out he was a werewolf. 

"When a werewolf turns of age, they find their mate. The person they're meant to be with. It's a very special bond, usually only broken by death," was what he said.

I figured she found him. The person she was meant to be with. Her soulmate.

My heart clenched painfully at the sight of the two together. At that very instant, all my hopes were crushed. I felt a burning in my eyes and knew I had to get out of there immediately.

I quickly left and paid for my stuff, taking a few deep breaths once I was outside. I closed my eyes for a few seconds and pushed back the tears I felt beginning to form. I'm such a crybaby.

But I couldn't believe I lost her. I lost the girl who was never meant to be mine.

"Anthony! Hurry the fuck up or we're gonna miss the movie!"

I opened my eyes and saw everyone in Jason's car looking at me. Ryan and David, who were in the back, were yelling at me to hurry up while Jason waited quietly from the driver's seat.

I walked to the black car with the bags in my hand. I threw the bags into the back through the open window.

"Ow," whined Ryan, "That shit's heavier than it looks, man."

I took my seat on the passenger's side. Once I closed the door, Jason immediately started the engine. With the two cracking jokes in the back and Jason's focus on the road, my mind began to wander to the simple past.

The first time I saw Lauren, she was a thirteen year old broken mess. She arrived at our house with ragged clothes and tired eyes. Carlie was looking for her hamster who ran away, when she ran into Lauren from her school. According to Carlie, she hadn't shown up to school for over a week; the whole time she had been out in the streets, wandering aimlessly. 

Meanwhile Carlie went to bring our parents and a change of clothes for her, I asked her why she didn't show up to school.

"I didn't want him to find me," she answered with a shaky voice.

I gently took her arm when I noticed a bruise. I analyzed it and noticed there was not only one bruise, but several on her arm. Some recent, other were a yellow color and looked to be older. She quickly pulled her hand back and attempted to hide them with her hands.

I felt terribly for this girl who stood before me, scared and bruised, likely from a parent.

Carlie arrived with a change of clothes and our parents.

Mom quickly ran to her and kneeled before her. She worriedly asked, "Oh, honey are you okay? Where are your parents?"

She was silent before quietly answering, "They're both dead."

Hearing her say this made me feel even worse for her. She must have been through a lot.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Who watches over you? I should call them immediately," mom replied.

When my mom said that, she jumped in fright.

"My, uh, uncle is not around right now. He's on a business trip." She said quickly.

Her uncle? He must be the one who made those bruises on her body. Hearing that made me angry. How could he do that to his innocent niece?

"Can she stay here?" Carlie asked, somewhat excitedly.

"But Carlie, she has to go home. There must be someone anxiously waiting for her to arrive," said my dad.

"But her uncle is away! She's been alone, maybe even for weeks!" She fought back.

"Is this true?" Asked mom.

She nodded slowly.

Mom gently placed a hand on her cheek. "I'm sorry it's been that way. If you have no one at home, you can stay here with us for tonight if you would like."

"Really?! She can stay?!" Carlie asked excitedly.

"She can," mom replied.

"Yay!" Carlie cheered. 

She grabbed her hand and quickly took her upstairs. She took her into her room, where she let her shower and change her clothes.

Meanwhile my parents discussed what might have happened to the "poor girl" from Carlie's school, I went upstairs into Carlie's room. We waited for her to come out. When she did, she shyly opened the door and peaked out.

"It's okay! You don't have to worry, I don't bite! Well, only if you bite me first.."

Lauren opened the door and smiled at what Carlie said. It sent my heart racing; she had the most adorable smile I had ever seen.

Carlie ran over to her and hugged her tightly.

"Don't do that or I'll fall in love with you!"

"But we barely know each other..." 

"Oh, that's right! My name's Carlie. That weirdo over there is my brother Anthony. What's your name?"

"Lauren Arrington..." She said shyly.

"Oh I forgot my last name! It's Rose, and since we're siblings, Anthony's is Rose too! Although it doesn't fit Anthony. I think it goes better with my name," she stuck out her tongue at me and continued rambling," It's my mom's last name, since my dad has a really weird one. Good thing my mom didn't allow him to give us his last name!"

"Carlie, relax. You're going to scare her."

Completely ignoring me, she asked, "Oh, you must be hungry! Are you?"

She nodded. "A little bit..."

"I'll be right back!" Carlie shouted as she ran out of the room and downstairs into the kitchen.

I had sat down on Carlie's bed. She looked at me, and when she caught me already staring she smiled back. Why is she so adorable?

I patted the spot next to me on the bed, prompting her to sit next to me.

"Is that okay?"

"Of course it is," I replied.

She slowly approached me and sat beside me. She looked down and played with her thumbs, something that I would soon learn is one of her habits when she's feeling shy.

"I know Carlie's a little too energetic, but that's the way she is. Plus, she's really excited to have a friend over."

She smiled. "I think it's a good thing that she can have so much energy. I really like her already."

I instinctively ruffled up her hair. She closed her eyes and puffed out her cheek.

Once I stopped she held her head and pouted. "Hey! Don't do that!"

I didn't fail to notice that her face was turning red, either.

"Sorry, but I'll be doing that often from now on."

This girl who Carlie brought home unexpectedly had arrived in torment. The moment I saw her, I felt like I had to protect and shelter her. I thought I would be like an older brother, but I soon realized that wouldn't be possible for me.

But she doesn't need me to protect her anymore. She has someone who she shares a strong bond with, someone who will protect her no matter what. I knew I wouldn't be the one looking after her anymore, and that hurt more than I would have ever imagined.

Another memory came into mind. I was 17 and she was 15. I was laying in my room, playing a game on my phone when she walked in. 

She came up to me and asked, "Hey, do you know where Carlie is? When I woke up, she was gone."

I looked up momentarily. I thought she looked cute, with her bedhead and still sleepy eyes. I quickly looked back to my phone and continued my game.

"She's probably taking a massive shit. We did have some spicy tacos yesterday. Now shut up, I'm battling the final boss right now. I can't loose."

"Should I go help her?"

"Uh, I don't think she wants any help with that..."

Something was suddenly thrown in through my window and landed on the floor.

What the hell was that?

I almost got a heart attack when it started to beep. No way, is it-

"Get down!" I shouted before I tackled Lauren to the floor. I tightly closed my eyes and shielded her with my body. A few seconds passed and nothing happened, so I slowly opened my eyes.

"Huh? It didn't explode?"

I nearly fell on top of Lauren when I saw her trapped under me. Our faces were close, and it could have been so easy to just kiss her. But I didn't.

She smiled and said, "Silly, did you think it was a bomb? It's just Carlie's phone."

What? Why the hell did her phone come in through the window?

"Even if it was a bomb, rather than lay on the floor next to it, wouldn't it be better to run away?"

I felt my face begin to heat up. "Shut up. I didn't have time to think."

Lauren and I both turned when we heard music play from the game on my phone. It signaled my defeat.

"Sorry, you kinda lost because of me.. You were on the final boss, too."

"Do you really think I would rather win a game than save you if there really was a bomb?"

She shrugged.

I flicked her forehead. "Don't be so stupid."

"Hey, Anthony! Is the giant wasp still on top of my phone?" Carlie shouted from outside.

I stood up and helped Lauren off the ground. I picked up Carlie's phone from the floor and headed to my window. She was standing outside with a... rat on her shoulder? Why is there a rat on her shoulder? It began to nibble on her neck and she giggled.

"Ricardo! There's a pedophile watching, you can't do that!" She said playfully.

What the actual fuck?

I threw her phone out the window, towards her.

"Here's your phone back!"

I watched as it hit her right on the forehead.

"Oww! You're gonna pay for that, horse face!" She pointed at me, "Ricardo, after him!"

The rat attempted to run and jump at me, but only made it a few feet and fell right onto the cement. He was motionless now...

"No! Ricardo, are you okay?!"

"Carlie, I'm on the second floor. Did you really think-"

"Shut up! It's your fault he's dead!"

I sighed. Why did I have such a weird sister?

Lauren came up from behind me. She shook her head and said, "I told her it would only end in heartbreak. She never listens to me."

What exactly was going on with Carlie and that rat?

"Hey? Hello?? Are you even listening to me?" 

I blinked and looked behind me to the backseat. David was calling me, who knows for how long.

"Do you wanna movie hop?"

"Huh?"

"Do you wanna go from one movie to the next? It's not like they actually check your tickets."

"Oh," I replied, "I don't really have time for that. My class starts at twelve."

"Aw, you're no fun," he pouted.

I looked forward and noticed Jason glance at me out of the corner of his eye.

"Hey, man. Are you okay?" He looked at me and asked, before quickly turning his attention back to the road.

I smiled sadly.

"I think I fell in love with someone I shouldn't have."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

713K 21.2K 33
Finding his mate & making her his. Will love prevail?💗💗💗 •Mature content •Thank you for reading & voting 🤗😊🤗
52.1K 1.7K 60
My life's amazing, I have great friends, I have loving parents, and I'm in my senior year of high school. I really couldn't have asked for a better l...
37.9M 1M 75
In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." His voice is low, sending shivers down my...
4.4K 380 31
I'm Noelle Joseph, I was the beloved daughter of Nicholas and Paula Joseph. That is what I thought until my dad died. My mom remarries but to a real...