Crush, No, Crushed

By monkeybaby7

Love confessions change everything. But not with Ruth and her best friend, Les. When Ruth finally plucks up t... More

Crush, No, Crushed
chapter 2
Chapter 3
chapter 4
Chapter 5
chapter 6(part one)
chapter 6(part two)
chapter 7( rly short but i'll add more later)
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13(wow already? yay!)
chapter 14
chapter 15
Chapter 16 (part 1)
chapter 16 (part 2)
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
teaser :p
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28 (part 1)
Chapter 28 (part 2)
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31(part 1)
Chapter 31 (part 2)
Chapter 32
Chapter 33 part 1
Chapter 33 Part 2
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36 part 1
Chapter 36 part 2
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40 part 1
Chapter 40 part 2
Chapter 40 part 3
Epilogue
Alternate Ending part 1
Alternate Ending part 2

chapter 23

90.6K 592 213
By monkeybaby7

Hey everyone, I know it took awhile for me to upload and I know that teaser well, teased you but this is still short, I'm sorry I am trying my best but I have been really stressed lately and it has been hard for me to write. I just wanted to say I really appreciate all the support and I will continue to try to write as fast as I can, just don't get too mad if I can't upload as often as we all would like. I'm not sure how much longer this is going to be but it can't go on forever. So if anyone has suggestions to what you would like to read from me just message me so I can start an outline for it because it makes life much easier, this story doesn't really have an outline and look how hard it is for me to write...lmao anyway thanks for fanning, comment and vote! :D Wow I wrote alot today haha

Eventually, I was able to fall back asleep after I sat for two hours trying to wrap my mind around the dream. I couldn't make sense of it. If there was some hidden message in it, I didn't catch it. I woke up around ten in the morning and got up to take a shower. Half an hour later I was walking downstairs in jeans and a plain, white t-shirt. I had my dark, brown hair braided down my back so it could dry wavy. I headed for the kitchen to get something to eat but I was stopped by Renee. She was smiling at me and looked excited for some reason. She grabbed my arm and I stared at her in confusion.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

I tugged out of her grasp and started back down stairs, "Going to get something to eat." I said annoyed.

"Nope, you can eat after; I have a surprise for you!" She squealed happily.

"Surprise?" I asked wary.

"Yup. Come on." She smiled taking me back upstairs.

She led me down the hall past my room until we reached her room. She let go of me and went inside disappearing into her closet. I slowly walked in and stood in the middle of the room not knowing what to do. What is she doing?

"Close your eyes!" I heard Renee call from the closet.

I frowned but obliged. I closed my eyes and left my arms limp at my sides. I listened to the sounds coming from the other side of the room trying to figure out what she was doing. Renee was shuffling her clothes around and making a crumpling noise that sounded like she was going through plastic bags. She sighed in aggravation and I started to tap my foot impatiently. It was obvious that she couldn't find what she was looking for. I took a deep breath and then heard Renee yell, "Aha!"

The padding of her footsteps told me she was coming back out with whatever she had found. My eyes fluttered, almost opening but Renee told me not to look yet. I felt her stop in front of me and she riffled through a bag again. Something landed with a thump on the bed behind me and I took a step back, surprised. Renee grabbed onto my shoulders and pushed me forward then stopped me. I knew she was behind me because I felt her leaning over me with her arms out in front holding something.  

"Okay, open your eyes." She said in my ear.

A small burst of excitement flipped in my stomach and I opened my eyes. For one second I saw that I was in front of the mirror.  I looked down and I realized why I was standing in front of it. Renee was holding up a dress to my average size frame. I was confused to why she bought me a dress. Firstly, I hated wearing dresses-most of the time. And secondly, where would I need to wear a dress to? I'm not sure what the expression on my face was but through the mirror I saw Renee smiling.

"Do you like it?" She asked hopeful.

I looked back to the dress. I had to admit, it was really cute. If I had seen it in a store I would have probably gotten it. It had a sleeveless bodice, crocheted white with a soft orange, pink and yellow skirt that flowed down right to my knees. The dress was perfect to wear during the fall; it matched the scenery outside perfectly. The orange reminded me of the changing leaves that fell off the trees. I was thankful that today was not going to be that cold outside, so if I wore it, I would only need to pair it with a cardigan and flats.

I finally smile and say, "I do, it's cute. Thank you...But why?"

Her smile widened, "I'm taking you out to lunch."

"You bought me a dress for lunch?" I asked suspicious.

"Yup. Get dressed and I'll see you downstairs."  She answered mischievously.

After I got in my new dress I grabbed my light pink cardigan and white ballet flats. I kept my hair in the braid and added a small bow clip to keep my bangs out of my face. I checked myself in the mirror and I was satisfied with the ensemble. I went downstairs still slightly suspicious of what Renee was up to. There was something up, her wanting to take me out to lunch and buying me a new dress. I had a feeling that this wouldn't turn out well.

"Renee!" I called out, "I'm ready."

"Okay." She replied coming into view.

She was also wearing a dress. It was a tight fitting purple dress although, it wasn't slutty. She had on a black leather jacket that went to the middle of her torso and small heals that actually made her look an inch taller. Her shiny black hair was straightened and fell down her back. She looked really pretty.

"Renee, what is going on?" I asked trying to get her to confess.

"Nothing, just taking you out to eat." She smiled and started to walk towards the door.

She picked up her purse and her keys off of the side table and opened the door. I followed behind, locking and shutting the door. We walked to the car in silence. I was contemplating her reasons for doing this. It felt like the reason was at the tip of my tongue.

"Why are you taking me out to eat?" I asked when we got into the car.

She didn't answer and started to drive. I was staring out the window watching how the colors on the trees blurred together when Renee finally spoke.

"To get your mind off of him." She said quietly.

I looked at her and she had her eyes glued to the road. I just grunted not wanting to bring the conversation up.

Following Renee into the cute little Italian bistro my suspicious feelings have yet to settle. I looked around the restaurant and was awed by how beautiful it was. It was a mix of comfortable and sophistication. The sand colored walls popped in contrast to the deep mahogany framework and there were twinkling lights hanging off the ceiling. The tiles on the floor were a darker shade of tan cut into little squares. She led us to a table in the far right corner and sat down. I noticed the all the tables were round and had a dim shaded lamp in the middle. The tables were tall and the black chairs were like bar stools.  I sat across from her and looked at the two other chairs that were at the table. Were we meeting someone here? My question got answered when a second later Renee stood up smiling and was looking at the door. I turned to see who she was looking at. At first I didn't see anyone I knew then a small blonde girl smiled and waved. It was Renee's friend Georgia and walking right next to her was a guy about two feet taller than her, around 6'2". He had soft brown hair that was a little shaggy and had dull blue eyes under those new wave, retro-nerd glasses. He was wearing a dark, blue, plaid, button up shirt and jeans. The sleeves of his shirt were rolled up and you could see slight muscle. By looking at him you could tell the style he went for was hot-nerd. From what I could tell, he pulled it off too. He was really cute, but I wouldn't describe him as hot.

As they got closer I realized what this was about. Renee and Georgia were setting me up! Oh great! This is just what I needed right now. They walked over to us, Renee and Georgia smiling at each other. I was doing my best not to look at the guy because I didn't want to give him the impression that I was interested. I was having enough guy problems and I really didn't need anymore.

"Hey Renee, Hi Ruth." Georgia greeted when she reached us.

"Hey." Renee nodded.

"Hi" I answered quietly not wanting to draw attention to myself.

Georgia turned so she could look at me and her brother at the same time.

She gave me a soft smile and said, "Ruth, this is my younger brother, Holden. Holden, this is Renee's younger sister, Ruth."

Knowing that I had to look at Holden I glanced at him quickly. He was smiling sweetly at me but his eyes showed that he was thinking about something else. Now that I could get a closer look at him, he seemed a little older than me, about Renee's age. Why would Renee set me up with someone that is six years older than me?

Whatever the reason was, it didn't matter, because although he was cute and he gave me this feeling that he was nice and smart, I didn't find myself attracted to him. I glared at Renee for a split second before Holden would notice. She grimaced at me but didn't show me any sigh that she was sorry.

Feeling a little more comfortable with the situation because I didn't like him I gave him a small smile, "Hello."

He stuck out his hand, "Hi."

I shook it then we all sat down. I was still sitting opposite of Renee while Georgia sat down on my left and Holden on my right. There was a calm silence for a minute. Renee looked from me to Holden looking a little lost and doubtful. She was probably wondering why me and Holden were not hitting it off. Before she could say anything to break the ice, Holden stopped her by asking me how old I was. I laughed because I was wondering the same thing about him.

"I'm sixteen. How old are you?" I asked smiling.

"I just turned twenty-two." He said looking a little apprehensive.

I giggled, I was right. That was a little weird though...

Just as the conversation was about to turn awkward the waitress came over and gave us the menus and got our drink orders.

When the waitress left, Renee and Georgia started to talk about college and basically left me and Holden alone to talk. What a great sister, throwing me out to the dogs. I almost scowled at Renee for putting me into this situation. She said that she did this to get my mind off of him, well it just made this situation worse! I could tell Holden was trying to think of something to talk about because he kept glancing over at me then looking away with a thoughtful look on his face. I was never one to be able to bring up a conversation at will so I followed the girl's lead and asked him about school.

"So...Holden, do you attend college?" I asked sounding more professional than casual.

He turned his head to me and gave me a relieved smile, "Actually, I've been touring so I haven't been able to go back to college."

That interested me. Touring? What kind of touring?

"Touring?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm in a band." He said nonchalantly.

I narrowed my eyes; he was either lying or trying to make it sound like it wasn't a big deal.

"What is your bang called? And what do you play?" I asked trying to catch him in a lie.

"Varatuga. I am their keyboardist." He answered smirking.

 "Really? That's cool. Who have you been touring with?"

"All Time Low. I just got back from their tour a few days ago." He said.

My eyes nearing bulged out of my head. Did he just say All Time Low? That was one of my favorite bands of all time...no pun intended. And he actually when on tour with them?! That was so awesome!

"I guess you know who I am talking about." He chuckled at the look on my face.

"Well duh!" I exclaimed.

I just could not believe this. I need to hear his music if he was actually good enough to go on tour with All Time Low.

"You are so lucky! I love them so much. Your band must be pretty darn good if you were touring with them." I said excited.

"Yeah, we are all right. You should come to a show sometime." He offered.

"I would love to!" I smiled.

"Cool." He said.

The waitress came back with our drinks and she took our orders. Holden and I continued our conversation about music and other things while Renee and Georgia seemed to keep out of our way. They would both look over at us every once and a while to see what we were up too and I would shoot Renee a glare. She was being absolutely ridiculous.

When we finished dinner Georgia and Renee tried to inconspicuously leave Holden and I but I caught them before they could go.

"Where do you think you two are going?" I asked with a hint of a scolding mother in my voice.

"We were just going to go across the street really quick to the new dress shop and we didn't think either of you would want to go." Renee said before her and Georgia took off like they were being chased by a stampede of elephants.

"You realize that they are trying to set us up right?" Holden's voice made stop scowling at Renee's back.

I turned to him, "Yeah..." I replied awkwardly.

"You don't see me like that do you?" He stated.

I nodded, "It's not like I don't like you. I do, but I am already having guy trouble and I don't want to drag you in. And I just don't see you like that."

"It's okay. I kind have the same problem. I like this girl but something happened to complicate things and I don't think she likes me." He told me, his face turning sad.

"Same here. I told him that I liked him and he rejected me but lately he has been giving me mixed signals and there are complications and I just don't know anymore..." I sighed, "I have been avoiding him too but tonight I am going to be seeing him at a party and I am worried that he will ask me what is wrong...I don't really have an answer to that." I said starting to worry about the party tonight. Is Les still coming? Or will he not come because I have been ignoring him lately?

Holden gave this mysterious smirk on his lips and his eyes twinkles with excitement.

"I have an idea."

:D so comment and I will upload the party chapter ASAP

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1M 260K 58
"Because I should be the only one who looks at you like that," he murmured, his voice dropping low as he steps closer. Miles Carter is notorious arou...
915K 25.3K 36
Ella Smith, princess of the Velaris Kingdom. Nicholas Williams, prince of the Merralith. They belong to rival kingdoms that seek a reason to call a t...
173K 4K 49
Carl Grimes's life was great. He had both parents, a ton of friends, and a great role model. His dad was a sheriff at the King's County Police Depart...
72.9K 5.4K 40
One step forward, two steps back. Try having your boyfriend break up with you and not even an hour later, you see that same ex all happy and giggly w...