Justice, the 4th hunger games...

By Smudge704

*** COMPLETED*** It's 10 years after the rebellion, Katniss and Peeta have two children, Rue and Fin. We fol... More

Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter Six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight.
Chapter Nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chaper twenty-two
Chapter twenty-three
Chapter twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter 29
Chapter Thirty
Chapter thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter thirty three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-six
Chapter Thirty-seven
Chapter thirty-eight
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter forty
Chapter forty-one
Chapter forty-two
Authors note
Chapter forty-three
chapter forty-four
Chapter forty five
Chapter Forty-six
Chapter Forty-seven
Chapter forty-eight
Chapter Forty-nine
Taster chapter
Chapter fifty (part 1)
Fifty-one Part two
Chapter fifty-two
Chapter fifty-three
Chapter fifty-four
Chapter Fifty-Five

Chapter fifty-six

1.2K 56 56
By Smudge704

Chapter fifty-six

It all seems like it happens in slow motion. I watch as my arrow flies the short distance across the stage before it buries itself slap bang in between Paylor’s eyes. The look on her face is a look that I know will haunt me for years to come. She seems to go cross-eyed looking at the arrow with a sigh escaping her lips before all life leaves her body and she crumples to the floor in a heap.

Guards instantly surround us and I am acutely aware that the crowd is cheering. At first I think the guards are here to take me away and throw away the key but as I notch another arrow to my bow I realise that they are surrounding us in a protective stance, how the king’s guard would surround royalty when preparing for a fight. In this case Peeta and I were shoved quite unceremoniously into the centre of a three man deep protective guard. Two circles of Peacekeepers and the innermost circle consisted of Haymitch, Gale, Johanna, Plutarch and the others. I look aroun for Ali and Marc knowing that I need to see them before we leave but I am unable to see anything over the heads of the circle of my guard.

“What’s going on?” Asks Peeta. I shrug but I know that the question isn’t directed at me.

“We need to protect you two just in case anyone wants to attack.” Haymitch explains now brandishing a gun.

I look to Gale who is completely focussed on the audience looking out for any threats. I see he has his bow and an arrow notched in place. “Let’s get out of here.” He mutters as I place a hand on his back, silently saying thank you. Plutarch turns from his protective stance and faces Peeta and I.

“I’m staying, I need to address the audience and clear this mess up. I do hope you’ll come back to announce the new president?” He asks, a hopefully, almost pleading look in his eyes.

“Alright, I’m sure we can do that. Can I ask you something though?” I know this is the only time I might be able to say this, the heat of the moment with everything that has happened might just make him consider it.

“Anything Katniss.” He replies smiling widely at me.

“Can you make it law that victors are not disturbed by anyone apart from the president? Make it so they can be approached by the president but they have the right to turn down interviews or visits? Just so our lives can go back to being just us?” I ask not really knowing where this added courage was coming from. I guess I’ve got nothing to lose, I’ve already killed someone on live TV for the entire of Panem to see. I just hope the kids didn’t see.

“Rue, Fin!” I gasp, I begin to feel restless at having not seen them for such a long time. I feel Peeta draw me close to his side and rub his hand up and down my arm in attempt to sooth me and probably himself in the process. He wants to get back to them too.

“I will see what I can do Katniss. It may be that we will have to wait until a president has been elected but I will make sure I persuade each candidate to make it part of their argument for being president. You do realise though that people will be wanting to know who you and the other victors want to be sworn in right?” I sigh knowing he is right.

“Yeah I suppose.” I mutter more defeated than ever.

“How about we all agree to do some form of interview close to the voting day to give our opinions instead of each of us getting pestered all the way leading up to it.” Suggests Peeta, once again my knight in shining armour, always having that unique way with words. Plutarch nods in agreement to this and I feel the eyes of Johanna and Gale on the three of us listening in to our little bargain.

“I look forward to that Plutarch.” Mutters Johanna smirking slightly as she catches my eye.

“I will make sure that happens. You have my word.” He adds bowing his head slightly and stepping away from us.

“Thank you.” We all whisper while watching him leave our protective circle. I draw my attention back to the crowd and realise they are chanting one word. Mockingjay. I smile and instinctively raise my hand to them acknowledging their chants and in a silent thank you for their support.

“Time to go home?” Peeta asks from beside me causing me to jump as his warm breath tickles my ear. I lean into him allowing him to support my weight suddenly feeling as if I could sleep for a week. Completely and utterly emotionally drained wouldn’t even begin to describe it.

“Time to go home.” I confirm. The guards around don’t move, the close proximity is beginning to make me feel claustrophobic. All I want now is to be back in district 12 with my family and the forest. Sensing my agitation Peeta slowly begins to walk forward indicating that we both want to get moving. Haymitch falls into step to my right and we make our way off the stage and towards the exit of the tower. We quickly make it to the large double doors Peeta and I entered what feels like years ago. Those double doors which will allow us to leave this god forsaken place and allow us to go home.

“Why have we stopped?” I ask when Haymitch grabs a hold of my hand and stops me from moving.

“When we leave this building it is impossible to predict what will happen. I have organised a train to take us away and back to our relevant districts but whether we are going to be able to get there is another thing entirely. Unfortunately Sweetheart, I am not a fortune teller.”

“So what then? We open up the doors and hope?” Asks a slightly frantic Peeta.

“Sounds like a plan!” I say laughing uncontrollably. Peeta roughly turns me to face him giving me a questioning look.

“Are you alright? This could be the last time we see each other alive and you are laughing?” He says slightly hurt.

“Peeta.” I say instantly sobering up at his words. “I love you and if this is how we die, then so be it. We die standing up for who we are and what we believe in. But honestly? If anything we will be battling our way through people who want to support us. Didn’t you see the response from the audience? From each and every one of the districts?” I ask stepping closer to him to give him a bit of added comfort. He draws me closer still and rests his head against mine.

“You really think we will be alright?” He asks seeking that little bit of reassurance that only I can give him. I smile and give him a small but tender kiss letting him know in my own small way that I believe everything I was saying.

“Are you two love birds ready to go?” Asks a sighing Jo. I smile and roll my eyes at her pulling an arrow down and showing that I am ready. Peeta makes sure he is standing close beside me with his knife raised.

“As ready as we will ever be.” Peeta sighs, Two of the five peacekeepers who have accompanied us this far move forwards to open the double doors. They quickly glance back at us and I feel myself moving before I’ve registered what I’m going. I engulf the smaller one in a bone-crushing hug careful not to catch her gun.

“Ali.” I breathe. “I should’ve known you both would hide yourselves well.” I smile.

“We were always going to be close to our Mockingjay.” She replies giggling and returning the hug.

“Come stay in twelve with us?” I ask turning to Marc, completely ignoring the protests from the others at our halt.

“We will travel back with you but I don’t know if we can stay. Our home is in four.” He answers but I see the turmoil in his eyes, he wants to be close to us and I want them both close.

“We need to go Kat.” Peeta urges forcing me to let go of Ali. They both turn back to open the large doors and I take a step back to stand next to Peeta once again.

The scene in front of us is full of excited men women and children cheering and dancing as far as the eye can see. Knowing it is a fair walk to the train I just hope we can get through this crowd without being completely swarmed. Surprisingly the crowd doesn’t swarm us but instead parts for us to leave peacefully. I raise my hand to them in an offer of thanks waving and smiling to them hoping that this will enable us to continue on forwards to the train. Peeta takes my free hand and mimics my actions mirroring our movements from the first games. Hopefully this symbol will help the Capitol citizens to understand that Peeta and I are together and just want to be left alone. We are escorted all the way to the station and waste no time in boarding the train. As soon as the doors are locked people are allowed onto the station, swarming to the side of the carriage where Peeta, Haymitch, Gale, Jo and I are sat in a fleeting hope to get one last proper look at their victors. We all smile and meekly wave at them desperate for the train to leave. After a couple of minutes of us enduring the shouts and screams from outside the train begins to pull away from the station and the Capitol swiftly begins to shrink until it is only a speck on the horizon. Sighing we all settle in for the long trip back to the districts.

Peeta wraps his arm around me and draws me close so I am practically sitting on top of him.

"I love you Katniss. Forever and always"

"I love you too. Always"

"Soon we will be back with the kids and safe in twelve." Smiling I nestle my head into the crook of his neck and close my eyes knowing that my life will finally be able to begin.

____________________________________________________________________________

Last chapter guys! :( - I feel like crying!!

I can't believe I actually managed to finish it!

I hope you liked my continuation story... It is pretty long so I would like to thank those of you who have stuck with it and stood by me, commenting and voting on almost every chapter and motivating me to keep going with it! 

It is such a sad moment knowing that this story is finished but I hope you all liked it and thought it was worth the weeks in between updates! 

Please leave me a final comment and let me know what you think of the book as a whole! go on!

Make my day! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

659 68 18
Finnick Odair × OC (Fem) The 63rd Annual Hunger Games Won by an 18-year-old girl from District 5 and in doing so, she is added to the long generation...
232K 6.7K 114
The Victory Tour? Over. The Quarter Quell? Over. Katniss's life? Over, as far as Peeta knows. Sure, the games may be over for Katniss and Peeta, but...
23.3K 602 103
This was my first story and it has lots and lots of spelling mistakes so read at your own risk. Fanfiction from @always_the_hungergames (Instagram...
432K 9.8K 58
5 years after the rebellion, Katniss and Peeta are together and living in district 12. They are both happy although Peeta still has flashbacks and Ka...