Life With the Newsies- One Sh...

By PineapplesAndPapes

A collection of one shots starring everybody's favorite newsboys. These will be Modern AU's, Post-strike, Pre... More

The Beginning of Another Chapter
Davey aka The Walking Mouth Learns to Drive
Life at the Races
Cousins and A Couple of Lovestruck Teenagers
Crutchy Makes Cookies
Flavi Meets the Newsies
The Aftermath of Crutchy Making Cookies
Newsies In Neverland
Find Your Future
Fly Away With Me
Beauty and the Bad Boy
The Girl With the Journal
On the Run
Crutchy's New Friend
Those You Thought You Lost
Christmas On the Fire Escape
Trip A Little Light Fantastic With Me
Brothers Of the Battlefield
Fragments Of the Past
What A Glorious Feeling
Albert the Weatherman
Elley Sells Papes
Wait For Me
Jack of All Tales
Let It Snow
The Holiday Dance And All That Entails
The Saga of Sky High
Shenanigans of St. Patrick's Day
The Jedi and Rebel Newsies
The Craziness At Coney Island
The Rumbles That Tumble
A Change of Heart
Seventeen And Quarantined
The Hoodie Thieves
You've Got Him Wrapped Up In....Christmas Lights?
Pulitzer's Newsie
The Lost Newsie
All That Jazz
Christmas of Companionship and Chaos
Ghostly Encounters
Jack Kelly: Boys In Newsie Caps
When Dreams Become Nightmares

Swingin' In The Summertime

175 7 314
By PineapplesAndPapes

1920's AU- Everyone is still the same age or older. Characters like Jack, Race, Crutchie, and some others are a little bit older. As far as OCs go, Falcon belongs to my dear friend Musical_Theater_Nerd, Katie belongs to BeckyMerari1808, and Pups belongs to 23gatkins!! Thanks to all of you for allowing me to use your OCs. This one doesn't fit in with the timeline anywhere. Use your wonderful imagination!! Since this is my 20th oneshot, it seemed appropriate to set it in the 1920s.

Jack Kelly groans as he lays in the back of the old car that Race owns. His nineteen year old body aches with pain from the fight he got into last night. Sadly, it was a fight against gangsters and Jack had a really hard time winning. As a matter of fact, Jack didn't win. He just barely got away. Gently lifting himself over the side of Race's blue car, Jack makes sure that he isn't being followed before wandering down into an alley. Spotting the back door, Jack knocks on it in a special rhythm that Race would know it was him. His brother opens the door quickly and pulls Jack into a hug.

"Racer?" Jack says and Race lets go of him.

"Yeah, yeah. I know. Get in here. Your sister's been worried sick," Race grumbles typically not being one to worry. Jack follows Racetrack Higgins down the stairs where his younger sister is sitting in what used to be an old cellar. Elley Kelly jumps to her feet and hugs her brother tightly.

"Jack Kelly, what on Earth were you thinking, taking on a bunch of gangsters like that?" She scolds him and Jack runs his fingers through his hair.

"Elley," He starts and she cuts him off.

"No! I'm not gonna hear of it. You should have at least taken another boy or two. Take Race for crying out loud!" Elley shouts and Jack tries to shush her.

"Would you keep it down? I don't want to get caught," Jack whispers and Elley crosses her arms.

"Oh really? You get into a fist fight with a bunch of gangsters and Race talked you into helping him run a speak easy. You really think that you're the one making the great life choices here?" Elley snaps.

"Elley, I need some extra money. I also don't need anyone beating up on my Newsies!" Jack explains. Race nods his head in Jack's direction.

"He's got a point, ya know," Race says which makes Elley frown.

"I get it, Race," Elley snaps back, "I'm going out. If you need me, I'll be around." 

"Be careful. I don't want the gangsters catching you on your own. Go hang out wid some of the guys," Jack says. Elley walks half away up the steps and turns around.

"I am going to do whatever I want. Thank you very much," She says matter of factly before turning around and leaving. Jack and Race watch her storm up the stairs.

"Wow, dat was something," Race says.

"Yep. It's always something wid that one," Jack agrees, "Now where were we in getting dis show on da road?"

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Elley fumes as she walks down the streets of Manhattan. She lets her feet carry her wherever they choose to go. After awhile, Elley winds up in gang territory. She does not realize this until a seedy looking man comes out from behind a barrel in an alleyway.

"Hey gorgeous," He purrs and Elley crosses her arms.

"Look, I have enough wid people for one day. Why don't you leave me alone?" She asks and the seedy character only chuckles.

"You don't know who ya messin wid, do ya?" He asks and Elley shakes her head.

"Nope and I don't really care to find out," She says and starts to run until a group of gangsters pop out of the shadows. Elley gets shoved onto her back and falls down on the cobblestones.

"Where did ya think you were going?" One of the gangsters snarls and Elley tries to run.

"Oh no," The leader of the gang or rather the seedy character says, "You're not going anywhere. We know exactly who you are. You're Jack Kelly's sister. We're gonna take good care of you, don't you worry," The gangster says and that's the last thing Elley hears before her world goes black. 

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Mush is laughing with several of the other boys as they sit out in the hot summer sun. His girlfriend sits next to him on the park bench, laughing right along with the other boys.

"Helen and I are goin out again tonight," Kid Blink says to Mush and his girlfriend, "You guys wanna come?" Mush smiles and looks at his girlfriend.

"Whaddya think, Shirley?" He asks her, "Ya wanna go out wid Blink and some of da guys?" Shirley smiles at him.

"Anything with you sounds nice, Mush," Shirley says with the biggest grin that Mush had ever seen.

"Hey, has anyone seen Elley come back yet?" Mush asks as he notices that the youngest Kelly is not present among the group, "She said that she was gonna talk to someone and that she would be right back." All of the other boys shake their heads. Mush tenses up nervously at their answers.

"Relax, if she ain't back by sundown, then we'll go look for her," Skittery says and gently socks his friend in the arm.

"Sounds fair," Buttons says and Mush nods his head in agreement.

"Now about tonight. I got this new dress the other day that I think you will adore, Mush! It's the latest style and I find it really adorable," Shirley says immediately changing the subject from Elley and back to the evening plans. 

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Katherine was fed up with her father. Absolutely fed up. He was discouraging her from her journalism job....again. And this was worse than last time. The Pulitzers were a very proper family and were not that into all that this post-war celebration had brought. Katherine, being the daring young lady that she is, decided to defy her father. She was fed up and it was time for a change. Perhaps a change of scene when it came to the party scene. Rumors flowed through the newspaper office about a new speakeasy opening up on the Lower East Side of Manhattan by a couple of newsboys. Even people who hardly had anything were trying to get in on some of the illegal liquor activity that Prohibition seemed to encourage. Katherine was not one who drank but she admired the dancing that went on in the speakeasys and the fun that those illegal liquor stores brought. Making sure that she wasn't being watched, Katherine pulls out the latest flapper dress that she just bought last night after a fight for her father. She liked how short the skirt was even though it wasn't as short as some of the more scandalous skirts out there. Katherine wasn't about to lose her dignity, but she did want to cause a little bit of a ruckus. Some classy heels lay in the bottom of her wardrobe itching to be used. The thin spaghetti straps of her dress were just itching to show off and touch her bare shoulders. She will not be wearing a shawl. Katherine had also purchased a fancy hat to go along with it all. She is going to have one of the maids pin her hair up into the latest style. Katherine knew that Susan went out to speakeasys and dance halls on a regular basis. The young maid's hair was always up in a fashionable do. As if on cue, the young maid enters the room.

"Miss Katherine, what on earth are you doing with a dress like that?" Susan asks and crosses her arms. Katherine begins to think up of a retort but Susan waves away with a laugh. "I'm happy for you. Your father was being such a pain in the rump the other night and I was hoping you would defy him in some way or another," She finishes. Katherine smiles and gestures to the clothing.

"Do you like it?" She asks and Susan nods, taking the fabric of the dress in between her fingers.

"I adore this! You are going to look so beautiful and catch the eye of some unsuspecting young man no doubt," Susan says which causes Katherine to blush a little bit. 

"I don't know about that," Katherine says with a chuckle and Susan waves her hands in the air.

"Nonsense! I'm sure you will," She replies and then she crosses her arm as she notices something, "I see you won't be wearing a shawl tonight, will you?"

"No, I'm not going to be wearing a shawl tonight. I'm done playing by society's and my father's rules," Katherine says and Susan nods her head.

"Lucky for you, society is beginning to change it's rules much to the chagrin of your parents," She says and Katherine chuckles, "I'll be back up here right as the sun is beginning to set, darling. We will get you to look all beautiful for your evening experiencing the fun side of New York City."

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SUNDOWN

Jack and Race close up the speakeasy for the night and walk back to the Lodging House. Both boys, who are closer to being men than boys, step into the Lodging House. Crutchie is reading a book to some of the younger kids. Davey Jacobs has decided to visit and he has his arms crossed.

"Thought you were selling with Les today," He says and Jack crosses his arms.

"Told ya I was busy when we was sellin yesterday," Jack responds.

"Busy with what? A girl? Moving on to Santa Fe?" Davey asks in a tone that surprises Jack, "What could be more important than selling with your fellow Newsies?" Race and Jack exchange a look.

"We'se needs to talk to ya alone, Davey," Race says and the three older boys head up to the unoccupied bunkroom.

"Why did you drag me up here to talk to me about where you were today and I'm nervous by the fact that both of you are involved with this somehow!" Davey exclaims. Jack puts his hands on his friend's shoulders.

"Just calm down!" Jack demands and Davey quiets for a moment.

"Jack, I don't think we should tell him," Race says from his bunk. Davey glares at Race.

"What is going on that you two are so nervous to tell anyone, even me, about? Is something wrong with the Newsies? Are you guys having trouble with gangs because I knew about that already," Davey demands.

"It's not the gangs, Davey," Jack says and he turns to face Davey, "Listen, you cannot repeat what I am about to tell you to a single soul. Not anyone. Not to Sarah. Not other soul on this planet. Got me?"

"Alright, just tell me what it is," Davey almost whines and Jack raises an eyebrow, "I won't tell anyone what you are going to tell me."

"Good," Jack says and ponders how to tell the young Jacobs boy what they are doing, "Racetrack and I are starting a speakeasy."

"What??? Jack! You're starting an underground club? But what about the Newsies? What about everything you worked to build? Jack, that could all disappear with a snap of a finger. You do realize that what you are getting yourself into is very very illegal, right?" Davey lectures and Jack nods.

"Yeah, but listen, everyone else is doing it," Jack whines in defeat.

"That means nothing!" Davey almost shouts and Jack and Race exchange looks yet again.

"Just please, don't tell anyone. We really need the extra money," Jack says and Davey shakes his head angrily.

"That's no excuse, Jack. Where is Elley? Why is she letting this happen?" Davey snaps. Jack scoffs at Davey's remark.

"Elley. Oh, she's probably crying to the boys about how terrible I am and about how terrible her life is," Jack says and Race shrugs.

"He's probably right," He says and Davey glares at him.

"Do the boys know about this?" He asks and Jack shrugs.

"Probably. We'se ain't makin any formal announcements about this, but Elley's probably cried to a couple of the older boys and Race and I have told a few of em. We'se couldn't go into this without tellin anyone what we'se was up to," Jack says.

"I don't believe you, Jack Kelly," Davey mutters, "I knew you broke the rules, but this is going too far. Much too far. Speakeasies are what gangs use to make their money, not Newsies."

"Times are changing, Davey. Skirts are gettin shorter, hair is gettin shorter and people are starting to feel free again after the war," Jack snaps, "We'se changin right along wid it. Ain't nothing gonna stand in our way. Either we fold to the gangs now or we make a speakeasy and show that we can handle ourselves."

"Or you could become an upstanding citizen. Get a steady job and actually try to take care of yourself," Davey says and Jack pins Davey against the wall. 

"I'se doin the best I can," Jack growls and suddenly he feels a pair of arms grab him off of Davey. Jack whirls around to punch whoever is holding him but whoever it is has a strong grip on his arms.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. What are ya doing beatin up on Dave?" Mush's voice breaks into Jack's angry tirade. He is mad at Davey but in his mind, he sees no other way to keep his Newsies safe.

"Sorry, Davey," Jack says and spits into his hand. Davey returns the gesture and the two shake hands.

"I shouldn't have acted so rashly even though I still don't think you're doing the right thing, Jack," Davey apologizes, "I'm sorry too." Jack turns and sees Mush looking a little nervous.

"Mush, what's up? Ya lookin a little nervous. Everything Jake?" He asks and Mush shakes his head.

"No, I'se ain't seen Elley all day and I'se went on a date wid Shirley and I still ain't seen her," Mush explains and Race rolls his eyes.

"Get ya self some cheaters, kid. Jacky Boy and I saw Elley earlier today," Race explains and Jack nods.

"Yea, but Racer, she was not happy when she left and she was acting all defiant about the little matter that we discussed earlier, " Jack says to Mush and Mush nods quickly.

"She's mad about that? I thought she would..." Mush starts, "Never mind."

"At least he's not an alarm clock about it like Davey is," Race says and Davey shoots him a glare.

"Race, Davey knows his onions about other things. Slang ain't always been his thing," Jack says and Mush and Race chuckle despite the urgency of the situation. The four boys then remember Mush's news and Jack begins to worry. He steps out of the room and runs down the steps to the lobby of the Lodging House.  

"Anyone seen Elley since dis morning?" Jack asks and every boy or girl present shakes their head no. The other three boys come down the stairs and stop to see their leader sitting at the foot of the steps shaking his head.

"I'm taking it that no one's seen her," Race says and Jack nods. Crutchie limps over to the boys. 

"Have you seen her since this morning, Jack?" Crutchie asks and Jack nods his head.

"We had a fight in a certain place dis morning and then she left. I haven't seen her since," Jack says and Crutchie shakes his head.

"She hasn't been by here that I know of," Crutchie replies and Jack shrugs.

"Thanks for the help, Crutch," Jack says to his friend and then turns to the three boys behind him, "You three game for helping find her?" The three boys nod and Jack brings a couple of the older boys over. Albert, Buttons, Kid Blink, and Skittery all come over.

"Can you help us find Elley?" He asks them and they nod.

"Where should we look first? Did she maybe sneak into a speakeasy?" Buttons asks innocently and all of the boys glare at him.

"No, I don't think she did," Jack says softly, "Just start looking over Manhattan. You boys start heading one way and we'll go the other. Stick together, fellas. We don't need a whole group of ya disappearing when one of us is missin." The four boys nod and run in one direction. Jack takes off with the other boys in the other direction. The four boys split up and start looking for the younger Kelly. Jack suddenly is pinned to the wall and receives a punch to the face.

"Well well well, two Kellys in one day. This is gonna be pretty successful, don't ya think, Morris?" Oscar Delancey gloats, "Our gang is gonna gain some significance when the other gangs hear that we took out both Kellys in one day. Along with some other Newsies. We'se are about to be one dangerous family and finally get some respect around here."

"And we weren't even the ones who kidnapped your sister!" Morris cheers and he punches Jack in the stomach, "That's what our advisor did. He's been in the gang business a lot longer than we have. Helps us out with everything."

"Even kidnapping your sister! We heard that you and Racetrack Higgins are gonna be openin up a speakeasy soon. You know ours is close by, Kelly. Why would you do that?" Oscar growls, throwing another punch at Jack. Jack retaliates and throws a punch back. He lands a hit on Oscar's chin and two other men come running out. They grab hold of Jack and slam him up against the wall. Jack's world turns black. Racetrack spots this happening and runs to his car over by the Lodging House. He starts it and drives down the alleyway as fast as he can. Mush and Davey come around the corner and Race yells to the two of them,

"Get him in here. We'se got places to be!" Mush uses his muscles and quickly lifts Jack over the side of the car and gently sets him in the back seat. Davey climbs into the passenger seat with his hands shaking.

"When did you get a car and who on Earth is letting you drive it?" He asks and Race shrugs.

"I'se old enough, Davey. I'se does what I'se wants," He says as the group drives back to the Lodging House. Once they get there and Race gets his car stopped, Mush pulls Jack out of the car with Davey's help and Race holds the door open as the two older boys take Jack upstairs. He starts waking up and Race runs back out to his car to make sure that nothing has happened to it. The other four boys arrive back a few minutes later.

"Did ya find out anything?" Race asks when the boys enter the Lodging House. Skittery nods.

"Yeah, the Delancey gang just opened another speakeasy on the other end of town. Really high end folks are going there. The opening was tonight," Albert says and Race crosses his arms.

"How in the world did youse ever figure that out without getting caught?" Race asks.

"Rich folks were talking about it," Skittery says quietly.

"So, did ya find Elley?" Blink asks and Race shakes his head.

"Nope, but Jacky Boy got into a fight and is suffering head injuries," Race says, nodding upstairs. A couple minutes later, Jack wanders down the stairs and points to the boys.

"What was youse saying about another speakeasy?" He asks.

"Delancey Gang opened another one on the fancy end of town. The young rich people are all over it," Blink answers and Jack rubs his chin thoughtfully.

"We'se needs to open our own," Jack says, "Race, how close are we to opening the speakeasy? Do we have music and stuff to sell and room for dancing?"

"Yep," Race says and Jack grins.

"Great, youse and Blink are gonna open it tomorrow night," He says and Race grabs Blink and Albert.

"You two are gonna help me put the finishing touches on dis and den, we'se gonna open it," Race says and the three boys jump into the car and drive off. Mush and Davey come down from their place on the stairs.

"Boys, how do you feel about getting girls for dates? We'se needs to scope out both of these speakeasies and save Elley," Jack thinks.

"Which means we need suits and fancy clothes, so we can fit in," Davey finishes and Jack nods.

"Shirley and I went out tonight. I'se sure she wouldn't mind going out tomorrow night," Mush says with a smile. 

"So, tomorrow, we'se spreads the word of the speakeasy somehow and then we'se opens it tomorrow night," Jack says and the three boys nod. The Newsies are about to start some swingin and dancing of their own.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Katherine flops onto her bed exhausted. Dinner had been difficult. Her father had been scolding Katherine for not working for him because no one could write a story that pleased him. Darcy and Bill had both attended the dinner as Mr. Pulitzer had invited them and their families. Now, she is embarrassed. Katherine can still hear the murmurs of the voices of their guests and she knows that it is not about her any longer, but some other frivolous topic. Tonight was not the night to sneak out, but she will soon and Katherine is certain of that. Smoothing her skirt and feeling ready to face her company again, Katherine steps out and smiles at the two boys. She nods them into an adjacent room to which she closes the door behind them.

"I know that look. You have something on your mind that your father would not approve of," Darcy says and Katherine smiles at him.

"You know me too well. What do you two think about speakeasies?" Katherine asks as she leans on the arm of the floral sofa.

"Speakeasies?" Both boys ask and Bill makes sure no one is listening.

"Have you been to one?" He asks and Katherine smiles wickedly at him.

"Not yet, but I am going to one soon. Why? Any recommendations? Any to stay away from?" She asks slyly. Bill rubs his hand in his forehead and Darcy rubs his chin thoughtfully.

"Are you really sure that you want to do that? Speakeasies aren't exactly safe," Darcy advises carefully and Katherine thinks for a moment.

"Yes, I am tired of having to be all prim and proper. Following all of the rules of society is exhausting and I just want to let loose and have some fun. If that means wearing a more scandalous dress and going to a scandalous place, I'm going to do it," She says, "Besides, my father is being a pain about my job. I really want to show him that I am old enough to live my own life and that I can handle myself."

"Valid points. There are less dramatic ways to prove this but, you've never been one to go about things quietly," Darcy says folding his hands.

"Please don't be an alarm clock about this! I really want to do this! Will you come with me?" Katherine asks. Both boys exchange a look.

"Speakeasies are run by a lot of gangs. You know that. Right, Katherine?" Bill asks and Katherine rolls her eyes.

"I work in a newspaper office for crying out loud. I know my onions when it comes to speakeasies and such activities. Even though I haven't experienced it. I know exactly which one I am going to go to. You both know that I don't drink so, you have nothing to worry about!" Katherine says and once again, both boys exchange a look.

"I just don't think it's a good idea, but... I'm not going to tell your father and I am not going to stand in your way," Darcy says and Bill nods his head in agreement.

"Yeah, just be careful, Kath. Some shady characters hide away in these things and make nice girls like you disappear," Bill warns and Katherine smiles.

"Don't worry. I'll be careful. You'll never even know I was there," She says with a smile before heading up to her room for the night.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The next day was full of all of the Newsies worrying for Elley's sake, Jack, Mush, Davey, Buttons, and Skittery all selling papes, and trying to find attire to attend the speakeasies in. The older Newsies carefully slip out information to young couples about the Newsies' speakeasy opening up and Jack spots a young redhaired woman across the street. He finds her attractive and crosses the street to talk to her.

"Hello, miss! May I interest you in some valuable information for no cost at all?" Jack asks her and the young woman waves him away.

"Your silence is valuable information. I am a very busy woman and have places to be," She says quickly but Jack manages to keep up with her.

"Like a speakeasy?" Jack asks and the young woman glares at him.

"Excuse me? Do I look like the kind of woman who would attend a speakeasy?" She asks and Jack smirks.

"With someone you found entertaining you might," Jack replies and flashes a flirtatious grin at her, "Have ya heard about the Newsies speakeasy?"

"Are you trying to get yourself thrown in jail?" The young woman asks loudly and Jack shushes her.

"We'se openin tonight if youse bored and is lookin for some entertainment," Jack whispers in her ear, "Someone as pretty as youse might enjoy some fun."

"What I want to know is how a group of Newsies is managing to open a speakeasy. You boys make next to nothing and," The young woman snaps and Jack interrupts her,

"Abandoned place, Miss..."

"Katherine. Now will you please leave me alone? I'm very busy."

"Maybe, will ya at least come to the speakeasy? I need help wid something."

"What might that be?"

"My sister's been kidnapped by the Delancey gang."

"Aand. Lots of boys, especially Newsies, lie just to get the girl or her attention."

"Wouldn't lie about this and my sister can attest to that when ya find her."

"Hmm, alright, Mr..."

"Kelly. Jack Kelly."

"Alright, Mr. Kelly. I'll tell you this. My father is annoying me about my reporting job so, I may be willing to visit your speakeasy just to stir up some trouble for my father and to explore something new. I am not helping you find your kidnapped sister and I am most certainly not speaking to you at your speakeasy. Understand?"

"Yes, ma'am. See you this evening!" Jack finishes. He tips his cap and waltzes away down the street. Katherine turns around and shouts after him. Jack ignores her shouts just to annoy her and to settle his side of the deal. Katherine turns around and hurries back to work, grumbling about how impossible of a boy that Jack Kelly is.

"Impossible boy. Ignoring me like that. What an impossible boy!" She mutters to herself as she marches back to work. Jack on the other hand is walking down the street, humming to himself. His mind flitting back to the gorgeous girl he had just spoken to. She is gorgeous and stubborn. Something that Jack finds attractive...very attractive. The rest of the selling day passes relatively smoothly and before the boys know it, they are done for the day. Davey arrives just before nightfall all dressed up in a suit. Mush is changing into an old one of his and Davey tosses Jack a navy blue suit and also hands him something that causes every boy in the room to look at Jack with nervousness. Jack fingers the leather gun holster in his hand and takes a deep breath.

"Jack..." Crutchy breaths out quietly, limping over to his best friend even though he is choosing to stay home from this particular event, "what are you planning on doing?"

"It's just in case, Crutchy," Jack says softly holding onto the suit and the holster as he slips into an empty stall to change. Skittery, Mush, and Buttons are finishing getting ready when Jack comes out of the stall.

"But, you never use guns, Jack. You never have. You always fight with your fists," Crutchy reasons and Jack sighs.

"Just calm down, Crutch. I'se don't think I'm gonna use it," Jack says as he starts shaving his face. Flavi wanders into the bathroom and she raises her eyebrow at all of the suits.

"What did I miss? Are youse going to a wedding?" Flavi asks.

"No," Jack says as he finishes shaving.

"Then where ya going?" Flavi asks, "And where's Race? Ain't seen him since last night."

"Yeah, where is Race?" Falcon asks and Katie nods her head in agreement.

"Feel like I've hardly seen in the past couple of days. Almost like he's avoiding us," Katie says and Jack shakes his head, hiding the gun holster in his pocket from the girls.

"Goin to a fancy thing," Jack lies and all three girls cross their arms.

"That's a lie!" Pups calls from her place on the steps.

"He's not really lying," Buttons says quietly, "This thing's fancy alright."

"Listen, girls. We would love to stay and chat but we have some business to take care of," Davey says and the five boys head down the stairs. Crutchy follows them down. Jack gently climbs on top of the counter in the lobby and jumps down on the other side where the safe is. Crutchy follow him there.

"Jack, why are you taking it?" Crutchy asks as Jack clicks the combination to the safe and finds the small pistol in a locked box which he quickly unlocks the combination to.

"Cuz the Delanceys are gonna have guns somewhere in their facility and I'se don't want Elley to get shot or me to get shot or any of the boys. Trust me, Crutch. I'm gonna use my fists before I even think about pulling the gun out," Jack whispers, "Just trust me on this one, okay? I'm not gonna shoot anyone unless I absolutely have to."

"I'se just worried for ya. Dat's all," Crutchy says as Jack slips the gun into the holster on his hip.

"You sure you don't want to protect that girl you were talking to the other day?" Davey teases and Jack's face turns red.

"What girl?" Crutchie asks, looking from Jack to Davey with a confused look, "Jacky, you have some explaining to do." Jack runs his hand through his hair nervously and Davey glares at him.

"Don't mess it up. You want to impress her, don't you? And we are trying to fool the Delanceys here, not make what we are doing more obvious!" Davey scolds Jack and Jack races up to the bunkroom to fix his hair. After a moment, Jack comes back down the stairs.

"Boys, let's go!" He calls out to the small group.

"Mush, where's Shirley?" Romeo calls out and Mush shrugs.

"Thought it would be better if she didn't know about this since I'm helping Elley instead of her," He says gently, causing Jack to raise an eyebrow in his direction, "Jack, I don't want Shirley to get jealous."

"Or youse just wants some quality time with my sister!" Jack says and Mush rubs the back of his neck nervously.

"We'se can have quality time later," Skittery groans, annoyed at all of the pettiness that seems to be going on when he could be exploring a speakeasy.

"Sure, let's blouse," Jack says and nods to the rest of the boys, "See ya later, fellas!"

"Bye!" The other Newsies call out as the five boys exit the Lodging House.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Susan puts the finishing touches on Katherine's hair and steps back.

"It looks beautiful!" She says and Katherine smiles at the fancy up do.

"Thanks, Susan," Katherine says as she grabs her purse, ready to leave the house. She opens the window and smiles at the car that she had strategically parked below the fire escape.

"Be careful, Miss Katherine," Susan calls out, "Don't stay out too late and don't hurt yourself driving over there. Have fun in your glad rags!"

"Thank you for everything, Susan!" Katherine calls out softly as she steps out onto the fire escape and into the heat of the summer night. The cool night air licks her bare shoulders and what is exposed of her legs as she steps down the fire escape and to her car. Katherine climbs over the side with absolutely no regrets.  She starts the car and drives toward where she knew the Newsies' speakeasy to be. There is absolutely no turning back and nothing that Katherine regrets.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Jack arrives at the Newsies' speakeasy with the other five boys. He knocks on the door and Blink lets them in. Race and Albert are behind the counter and are fighting over the cleanliness of a glass.

"Al, we'se washed that one three times already!" Race frowns and Albert yanks it away from him.

"Ya almost dropped this one three times. I'se just wants to make sure that it's clean," Albert replies as he wipes it off yet again. The five boys all exchange looks and Mush walks up to Blink.

"How long have they been arguing bout that?" He asks and Blink shrugs,

"Long as I can remember." Mush sighs and Jack clears his throat,

"Hate to break up your little argument over a glass, but I gotta know. Ya ready for customers?" Both boys nod and Race smirks,

"Especially of the female variety." Albert smiles as well.

"Can't say that I'm not looking forward to seeing ladies in pretty dresses," Albert says dreamily and Jack rolls his eyes.

"Listen, dere's a real pretty goil who's coming tonight so, take good care of her and she don't like flirting so no flirting with her," Jack says and Race scoffs,

"How would youse know, Jacky Boy?"

"Because he's speaking from experience," A female voice says and Katherine steps down the stairs looking even more beautiful than the day Jack ran into her. Jack can do nothing but stare at her. 

"Jack, maybe we should get going before..." Davey starts only to be interrupted by Race,

"I think it's a little too late for that, Davey. Look at his eyes." Davey rolls his eyes and Jack snaps out of his trance.

"Katherine, how bout a dance? I didn't expect youse was gonna be here so soon," Jack says and Katherine shrugs. Race motions all of the Newsies up into the staircase when Jack's back is turned. Jack finds a fun record to dance to and he turns it on. Katherine walks over and the two begin to slow dance. The song picks up a little bit and the two move a little bit faster. Jack enjoys the closeness and leans in a little bit closer. Katherine smiles as they dance. Never has she felt this way around a boy before. Jack does not do anything that she does not like giving her a sense of control. The song comes to a close, but Jack and Katherine stay close after the song ends.  Jack starts to move his head closer to hers and Katherine leans up  closer too. Albert sneezes and the two quickly pull away realizing that they are being watched.

"Aaallllbbbbeerrrt!!" Race groans, "Dey was gonna kiss!!" Albert sighs.

"Sorry, fellas," He says and Katherine smiles.

"I think a kiss is too soon. It may have been for the better," She says with a smile before taking a seat at a small table that the boys must have dragged in earlier that day.

"I should uh get going. Gotta a sister ta save and all that," Jack says and Mush starts to get a little nervous.

"You sure he's in good shape to do this, Dave? What if Jack does something and we can't get to Elley?" Mush asks nervously and Davey quietly reassures him,

"Don't worry. Everything is going to be just fine," Davey says as Jack smiles at Katherine one last time before rejoining the boys. The boys head out and quickly find the Delancys' closer speakeasy. Jack looks around for a way in.

"Davey, you do the talking. One person is coming with me because I don't want to be alone incase something happens to me," Jack says.

"I'll come with you," Mush says softly and Jack nods his head. Buttons and Skittery follow Davey into the speakeasy after Davey does a special little knock and gets let in. Jack and Mush walk around the other side of the building and Jack spots a fire escape. He jumps up and grabs the bottom rungs swinging himself up. Mush quickly follows making Jack jealous since Mush does it with almost no effort at all. The two spot an open window and see that it contains a bed. The room is really messy.

"This room looks like a trash can threw up everything it had and left it in a room," Mush says. Jack smirks,

"Must belong to Oscar then." The two boys start to look around and Jack notices a trap door. He opens it and heads in.

"Jack, what's down there?" Mush asks and Jack shrugs,

"I don't know. Hopefully Elley." Jack walks down and pulls on a string. A lightbulb clicks on but there is an empty room. Mush notices something across the room and sees that a piece of the wall is sticking out. He pulls it away and gasps as he sees the speakeasy in full swing down below. All that separates Mush from being in the speakeasy is a bunch of rafters. Thankfully, the music is fairly loud so no one notices when Mush climbs out onto one of the rafters. A door is across the rafters and Mush gulps down fear when he sees that he will have to climb right over the actual speakeasy in order to get to it. The door contains a window and Elley's face appears. She waves at Mush and Mush smiles at her. Using his strong body, he carefully climbs from rafter to rafter. Elley watches him carefully from her place behind the door. He climbs just over the speakeasy when a female voice calls out,

"What do you think you're doing?" People down in the speakeasy look up and Mush, to his surprise, has to look up from his place on the rafters to hear the voice. She stands on a platform by the door and she smiles at Mush.

"Shirley, what's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?" Mush asks nervously.

"I don't know. Why are you messing with my boyfriend's gang's business?" Shirley snaps back and Mush flinches at what she says.

"Your boyfriend? You're dating one of these bums?" Mush asks nervously. Shirley lets out an innocent giggle.

"Don't worry, Mush. They can be really sweet when you're on their good side!" She says and then her face darkens, "But when you're on their bad side..." Whoever is in charge of the music turns it up louder so that the rest of the confrontation is ignored. Mush needs to get the attention of either Jack or the rest of the boys. He climbs closer to Elley and Shirley. Before he can climb much further, Oscar Delancey steps out of a secret panel in the wall and puts his arm around Shirley's waist.

"Oh no," Oscar says, "Someone found their way into our scheme. Well, Shirley, is this the same boy that you were 'dating'?" Shirley nods her head and Mush feels hurt.

"I'se thought we'se had something," He says, trying to buy for time. That's all he needs is more time. He can distract if Jack can somehow get the attention of the other three boys down below. Mush looks down and sees all three boys dancing with pretty girls. Even Davey seems like he is enjoying himself. Mush tries not to look too long so he doesn't give the other three boys away.

"Well, whatever you thought we had we never did, alright, Mush? Just do us both a huge favor and go away!" Shirley says to Mush, "Oscar gives me more than you ever could and I really like him more than I like you."

"He hurts people! How on Earth could you love someone who does that?" Mush asks, causing Shirley to chuckle.

"Now, are ya gonna leave or are we gonna have to hurt Ms. Kelly here?" Oscar asks causing Mush to flinch.

"See and you like her more anyways!" Shirley shouts at Mush, "I think it was for the better that I moved on from you, Mush Myers!" The music thunders on down below and Mush looks over his shoulder. Jack is no where to be seen. Knowing that Oscar would hurt him or Elley if he tries getting closer, Mush stays where he is. He turns around and starts to back up. Unfortunately, his foot slips and Mush is dangling from one of the rafters high over the busy part of the speakeasy. Seeing his pinky, Mush sticks it into his mouth and whistles for Jack.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Jack is still looking around the little secret passageway as there is a desk in there when he hears something faint that resembles a sound that sounds kind of like someone whistling loudly. Mush. Jack throws down the paperwork and runs back out into Oscar's bedroom. There, he sees Mush dangling from a rafter, Oscar Delancey with Mush's girlfriend or rather ex-girlfriend, Shirley and a door on the other side.

"Jack, can you help me up?" Mush asks and Jack carefully climbs out to his friend and helps him back up to onto the rafter. Mush keeps climbing across and Jack follows him. Oscar smirks at them and pulls out a gun. Jack lets out a gasp and Elley's eyes widen. She kicks at the door causing a noise and Shirley shushes her.

"You know what this is about. Don't you, Kelly?" Oscar snarls, pointing his gun right at Jack. Jack carefully tries to keep climbing forward and Mush stealthily continues to climb across.

"Don't hurt Elley or Mush," Jack says quietly, "They's got lives to live." Shirley turns around and notices Mush getting close to the platform. She opens her mouth to tell Oscar, but a trap door opens which knocks her in the head. Shirley falls unconscious onto the platform.

"Look what we found!" Buttons says excitedly. Mush presses a finger to his lips, but it's too late.

"Ya brought company?" Oscar laughs lowly, "I can bring company too." Oscar pulls on a lever and soon a couple of gangsters start rounding up the other three boys. Skittery and Buttons start to fight them off and Jack gradually sneaks closer to Oscar while Mush sneaks closer to Elley. Oscar keeps his gun trained on Mush. Jack quickly sneaks closer to Oscar and when he isn't looking, Jack throws a punch that hits Oscar right across the chin.  Oscar becomes enraged and Jack grabs at the gun. Both boys are standing on the platform now. Oscar keeps his gun trained on Mush and Jack reaches for his own pistol. He clicks the safety off shifting Oscar's attention from Mush to Jack.

"Youse ain't the only one who knows how to use a gun," Jack says and Mush takes this opportunity to get to the platform. One of Oscar's goons sees him and Mush quickly starts throwing punches. He scores more hits on the goon than the goon can get on him. Mush gives one last good punch and the goon doubles over in pain. He then turns his attention to the door and pulls on it. Elley appears in the window.

"It's locked," She cries out through the glass and Mush nods.

"I know," He mouths. Mush tugs on it again, willing it to open. Skittery appears with some bobby pins.

"Need some help? Too bad. Take the bobby pins, but I can't help ya with pickin the lock," Skittery says. Mush takes the bobby pins and Skittery goes back to fighting. Inserting the bobby pins, Mush fiddles with the tumblers of the lock until he hears the door click. The door swings open and Elley runs out.

"Mush!" She cries, throwing her arms around him. Mush smiles and gasps when he hears the sound of a gun going off. He shoves her back into the room and feels something pierce his shoulder.

"Ouch," He cries out in pain loudly as he collapses to the ground. Elley runs to him and tries to help him sit up. 

"Stay with me, Mush," She says softly, rubbing circles on his back and trying to stop the bleeding. Oscar cackles at his victory and Jack takes the opportunity to holster his own gun and take out Oscar's. Jack slams Oscar into the wall, causing him to drop the gun. Oscar and Jack are fighting each other and Elley races over. She clocks Oscar in the head with the gun before dropping it far below. It clatters and Oscar growls. He pulls free of Jack and runs at Elley. Mush, gathering the strength that he has left, uses his non wounded arm and throws three punches at Oscar's face. Jack gets a grip on him to pull him away and Oscar trips. He falls down below to the speakeasy with a loud crash. Everything on the platform stops. Jack and Buttons carry Mush out of the speakeasy and the group quickly rushes towards their own speakeasy to get Race's car.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Race!" Jack yells as he runs into the speakeasy, "I need your keys. Now."

"What do ya need dem for?" Race asks as he tosses the keys to Jack.

"Mush is sustaining a gunshot wound. We are not walking him back home," Jack explains before running back out with the keys. Loading everyone up, Elley quickly sits next to Mush.

"Elley," Mush whispers softly and Elley gently touches his non injured shoulder.

"I'm right here, Mush. Don't worry. I'm not going anywhere," She says and Jack starts to drive back to the Lodging House. When the group arrives, Mush is hurried to a bunk and Buttons calls a doctor. Elley sits down next to him. A doctor arrives about fifteen minutes later and he looks at Mush's shoulder.

"Fraid we're gonna have to take that bullet out, son," He says and Mush winces.

"Mush, hold my hand," Elley says and Mush grabs onto it. He groans in pain as the doctor removes the bullet. Mush squeezes Elley's hand hard and she squeezes back. Once the doctor has the bullet out, Mush relaxes and the doctor quickly fixes him up. Jack steps upstairs and sees Elley coming down the stairs with the doctor.

"He is going to need to take some time to heal. That was a nasty wound," The doctor says, "He's on bedrest for at least this week." Jack nods and thanks the doctor for his service. He straightens his suit and jumps into Race's car. Jack drives the car over to the speakeasy and parks in a nearby alley. Pocketing Race's keys, Jack runs down and knocks his secret knock on the door. Blink lets him in and Jack tosses the keys to Race. He notices a young man flirting with Katherine, who is still in the speakeasy. Katherine shakes her head and Jack sits down at a nearby table to listen in on the conversation.

"Ya know. Maybe a dance will get ya more comfortable and we can go get some fresh air," the young man says and Jack rolls his eyes. He stands up and crosses his arms.

"Scuse me, but this is my girl that youse talking to and seein as I'm the leader of the Newsies, I suggest that youse back off," Jack warns and the man scoffs. He reaches over to touch Katherine's cheek and Katherine stomps on his foot. Jack takes the opportunity and shoves him away.

"Thanks," Katherine says with a smile as Jack stands in between her and the other guy.

"Same time, same place next week?" Jack asks and Katherine thinks about it.

"Don't count on it, Kelly."

A week passes by and Katherine drives over to the same speakeasy. This time, Jack is the one who is behind the counter. He rubs some dishes clean as the speakeasy is full of people and the dance floor is booming with people. Some of his Newsies are among the crowd including his sister. Elley is dancing with Skittery at the moment before being handed off to Elmer. It is a lively group dance and Elley is right in the middle dancing with a bunch of the boys. To her surprise, someone new steps down at the end of the line. Someone she wasn't expecting to be there. Mush twirls her around as the lively song comes to a close. The Newsies all cheer at their fellow Newsie feeling better. Elley throws her arms around Mush in a big hug. Katherine walks in with a different stylish dress on and she immediately walks over to the counter. Jack smiles when he notices her sit down at the bar.

"Youse came," He says, tugging on his Newsie cap with slight nervousness.

"I did. This speakeasy is fun and safe," She replies and Jack smiles.

"Maybe you should come more often then, " Jack responds as he wipes down the counter. Katherine smiles at Jack.

"Maybe I should," She parrots back.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

A Month Later

"Youse sure about this?" Jack asks as he sits in the driver's seat of Race's car all dressed up in a suit. Katherine climbs into the car.

"I'm positive," She says with a grin as she slides in next to him, "Just drive. You've never been this nervous about any other place we've been to." Jack starts the car and begins to drive. Katherine gives him directions as they drive and Jack pulls up next to a small building. Music booms down from the roof.

"What is this place? This ain't no speakeasy," Jack says as he climbs out of the car. He walks over to Katherine's side and helps her out. She steps down and gestures to the fire escape. Jack jumps up in his suit and pulls it down. He helps Katherine climb up it and then climbs up himself. The two climb up to the top and Katherine smiles at the large group of people dancing on the rooftop.

"You're right. It's not a speakeasy. It's a rooftop club," Katherine says and she quickly pulls Jack to the center to dance to the lively song. Jack twirls around and the two dance at a quick pace. After a while, the two are out of breath and a slow dance comes on. Jack wastes no time in interlocking his fingers with Katherine's. The two begin to sway back and forth gently. Jack gently moves his face closer to her's.

"Katherine," He says softly, "trying to get her attention."

"Hmmm," Katherine whispers, looking up and she smiles at how close he is. She quickly closes the gap between them, pressing her lips into his. Jack kisses her back and pulls her closer, deepening the kiss.

"Never thought it would be you who did that," Jack whispers on her lips as their foreheads touch and Katherine chuckles.

"I'm full of surprises," She whispers back and Jack closes the gap again. The two of them dance the rest of the night away, swinging in the summer night air as they often did in the evenings as of late. Jack holds onto her tight and smiles to himself. He never wants to let go.

AN:/ Well, you know why there has been a lack of updates. This one is over 8500 words. I'm not sure if that includes the top portion at the beginning or not. What did you guys think of the 1920s AU? It just seemed appropriate, especially since this is my 20th oneshot. So, with that, here are some historical notes! I threw in some 20s slang and for those of who you are not familiar with this slang. Here's what the characters in this story were really saying when they said.....

Alarm clock- basically someone who spoils all the fun.

Cheaters- a pair of eye glasses

Know my onions- you know your stuff when it comes to a specific topic.

Glad Rags- fancy clothes

Let's Blouse- let's go

Jake means everything's good

Also, telephones were historically accurate at the time and they were common enough that the Newsies may have had one in the Lodging House. For those of who you don't know what Prohibition was (even though I don't mention it in the story this is helpful information to understanding this oneshot), it was the time period when alcohol was not allowed to be made or consumed in the US. This went from 1920 to 1933 and is also known as the 18th amendment. The 18th amendment went into effect mostly because women did not like that their husbands would get drunk on the substance. In earlier years, this movement was called the Temperance movement. Yes, there were many different groups that supported Temperance and this was a very female driven movement, but I'm not going to get into that today. The 18th Amendment was repealed in 1933 which I find really interesting that the government let something as lucrative as alcohol not be a product during the Great Depression. Alcohol may have saved a lot of people from poverty but, I don't know for sure. If anyone like that era or history in general (I find this time period fascinating), feel free to chat with me!!

I believe that's everything I used in this story. What did you guys think of this one? Feel free to comment. I enjoy reading comments. :) Thanks for taking the time to read this, vote, comment, or do whatever it is you do. I hope you enjoyed this. Thank you so much for supporting this book and helping it get to where it is today. Hopefully, I will write an entry for the Big Book of Newsies sometime this week!! See you around, friends!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.7K 125 16
Adie Gray, formerly Adelaide Walsh, enlists the help of a dear friend to run away from her abusive father. While on the streets, trying to survive, s...
480 36 17
In 1899, two aspiring reporters get caught up in one of the biggest events of their time; a newsboy strike. Eleanor, Ellie, and her friend aim to be...
19.7K 555 59
15 years before the legendary newsies strike of 1899, a child was born. When he is 18 months old, he is brought to the Manhattan Newsies Lodging Hous...
4K 325 101
From the moment they met, and all through their lives, follow the somewhat tragic and very beautiful love story of Jack Kelly and Katherine Pulitzer...