Uniquely Normal

By KeyanaMonet

*UNDER EDITING* In the intricate web of high school, Coen and Serenity shared a close friendship, until life... More

Welcome
Epigraph | Dedication
NOVEMBER
Chapter 1: Prologue
Chapter 2: Beginning
Chapter 3: Reunion
DECEMBER
Chapter 4: Home
Chapter 5: Bloom
Chapter 6: Imperfect
Chapter 7: Dare
Chapter 8: Bliss
Chapter 9: Emerge
Chapter 10: Joy
Chapter 11: Glee
JANUARY
Chapter 12: Enough
Chapter 13: Enchanted
Chapter 14: Devote
Chapter 15: Irrevocable
Chapter 16: Resolve
FEBRUARY
Chapter 17: Retrovailles
Chapter 18: Enamored
MARCH
Chapter 19: Pride
Chapter 20: Growth
APRIL
Chapter 21: Epiphany
Chapter 22: Certainty
MAY
Chapter 23: Elated
Chapter 24: Fervor
Chapter 25: Triumph
JUNE
Chapter 27: Farewell Part I
Chapter 28: Farewell Part II
E P I L O U G E
π΄π‘’π‘‘β„Žπ‘œπ‘Ÿπ‘  π‘π‘œπ‘‘π‘’
Authors Note
Exciting News
Authors Note!!
BOOK EDITING
SUPER DUPER EXCITING NEWS!

Chapter 26: Wanderlust

1.3K 69 16
By KeyanaMonet

The rising warm June sun cast a warm glow over the school parking lot. Six a.m., and a fleet of buses lined up like giant catepillars ready to transport the senior class to our much anticipated amusement park visit.

I sat in the passenger seat of Dad's car, joey tapping away at the steering wheel as I gazed out the window at the busting scene of teacher chaperones and students. "Hey, you sure about him?" Joey spoke as I turned back to him. His eyes filled with a mixture of happiness, concern, and older sibling wisdom.

He was continuing our conversation from the beginning of the drive: Coen and I's relationship. 

I smiled, feeling a surge of gratitude and love. "Joey, I've never been more sure about anything in my life. Coen makes me genuinely happy." Joey arched an eyebrow, a playful smirk dancing on his lips. "Genuinely happy, huh? Not just putting on a show for social media followers?"

I chuckled. "No show, no filters. Just pure happiness."

He nodded approvingly. "Alright then. But remember, if you ever need anything, I'm now officially just a few miles away. And, uh, be safe on the senior trip." He reached into the glove compartment, producing a small box of condoms with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

I burst into laughter, feeling a mix of embarrassment and amusement. "Joey, seriously?" He winked, handing me the box. "Hey, better safe than sorry. Give some to Wes too. Have fun, but be responsible." With a theatrical roll of my eyes, I accepted the gift. "Thanks, weirdo."

Joey grinned, running a hand over his hair, "You're welcome kiddo. That's what big brothers are for." Exiting the car, I hoisted my luggage and approached the chaos near the buses. A teacher stood by, organizing student's belongings into the compartments of the waiting buses. The line was far too long, and once I spotted Mrs. Lansette, I called out to her to let her mark me present on the list and handed over my bag, exchanging quick words of gratitude with her.

As I stepped onto the bus, my eyes traveled along the rows of seats until they landed on my friends, and Coen, who had saved me a seat. A warm flutter of excitement filled my chest, and I quickened my pace, finding my spot beside him.

"Good morning." I leaned forward, placing a soft kiss on his lips. He looked exceptionally gorgeous this morning. His hair was covered by the hood of his black hoodie, the only thing visible being a rolled black and white bandanna tied around his forehead.

"Good morning to you too." He smiled, kissing me back. I looked around the bus, spotting our friends in various seats. Wesley sat most obviously with Nova, Kenji with Dominic, and Blair sitting beside some random kid who was obnoxiously attempting to offer her peanuts. Blair turned around, her eyes wide with a mix of disbelief and desperation, mouthing the words "Kill me now."

I burst into laughter, shaking my head in amusement. I brought up my right hand, forming a finger gun, and pointed it in her direction. I mouthed boom and recoiled my hand. She flew her head back, falling limp.

Dominic clapped his hands together, "Bravo. The two of you deserve an Oscar." The bus engine rumbled to life and I settled into my seat glancing out the window to see Joey standing at the car, watching the departing buses. With a wave and a reassuring smile, he mouthed, "Have a blast, kiddo." And with that, the adventure began.

The hotel room, filled with the sound of Blair's music on shuffle, was quite nice. Nova and I sat on the bed, talking about our relationships as we awaited Blair to finish whatever she had been doing.

Blair burst out of the bathroom, radiating a different kind of energy. "Guess what, guys? Alex just invited me on a fishing trip in July!" I raised an eyebrow, my skepticism apparent. "July? As in next month?"

Blair's grin remained unshaken. "Yep, life's too short to plan too far ahead. Just gotta roll with it." Nova, perked up. "Isn't it a bit soon for a couple's fishing trip, though?"

Blair shrugged. "Who cares? I'm not looking for a lifetime commitment. Just some good vibes and a cool story to tell." Nova and I looked at each other, and Blair noticed our apprehension. She sighed, running a hand through her red hair. "If we end up in a romance novel-worthy relationship, I'll be happy. If we don't, I'm cool too. I just like spending time with him, and I want to enjoy that without forcing anything."

I nodded, understanding where she was coming from. I stood, giving her a smile, and playfully tickling her stomach. "Let's go. The guys are waiting on us."

Downstairs, amongst the senior class, the guys awaited us, leaning against the lobby walls with an air of nonchalant anticipation.

"We've made it, ever so fashionably late," Nova speaks up, twirling to show off her outfit. Coen flashes me a playful smile as his eyes trace my outfit. "Damn." He speaks, his eyes cutting directly to my denim shorts.

I smirk, used to his flattery. "Thank you, Coen. Keep it in your pants. We're in public." He chuckles, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "Can't make any promises." I rolled my eyes, but the corners of my lips lifted in amusement.

The group of collective teenagers and annoyed teacher chaperones spilled out into the hot air, and the anticipation of the amusement park hung thick. The amusement park was only about a mile away from the on-site hotel, so it was decided we'd walk.

As we strolled along the sidewalk, Coen leaned in with a whisper. "Seriously, though, you look amazing. It makes our room arrangements even worse." He pouted his lips. I playfully nudge him, and grin. "It can't be that bad."

He rolls his eyes, retying his bandanna. "I'm sharing a bed with the wrong Miller sibling." The banter takes a pause as we round a corner and encounter a strange sight. Ella and Malik, deep in conversation. They had slowed down their walking speed, and after the two of them share an awkward hug, she speeds up again, a distant look in her eyes.

The air shifted, leaving a trail of unresolved tension in her wake. "Kenji and I saw her earlier. She was crying in the lobby." Wesley says, idling beside Coen and me.

My brows furrow, and a twinge of empathy courses through me. "Crying? What happened?" Wesley shrugs, a perplexed look on his face. "Not sure, but it seemed pretty heavy." As we approached the amusement park entrance, I couldn't help but think about what just happened. Both of our exes, hugging. We are officially in an alternate universe.

The friend group moved through the vibrant chaos. As we joined the line for the first coaster, the anticipation heightened with each step forward. And once the ride was over, we couldn't wait to get onto the next one, and the next.

After the school year we had, this trip was much needed. And much deserved. Through all the mess we had all gone through, we made it, and we would soon be graduating. We deserved to be celebrated for our triumphs.

After all the thriller rides, hunger soon became our leader as we found our way to an overpriced food stall. I settled on the cheapest meal option, hot dog and fries. With the tray of food in hand, all of us settled at a colorful table, our conversations bubbling with the energy of the day.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Malik and quickly waved him over. "Spill the beans, what's going on with Ella? And since when did the two of you talk?"

He chuckled. "You're nosey as hell. We're not friends, I just was walking past her and saw her eyes were red so I went to make a joke about needing eye drops to not get caught high, but when she looked at me she was sad." He leaned forward toward the table, everyone quieting down so they could hear.

"Her grandma passed away last night. She had been sick for a while, but I guess Ella didn't think she'd take it this hard." Malik shrugged, stealing a fry from Coen's tray. Coen swatted his hand. "This is a serious moment and you're stealing my food."

"I thought we were friends now. I steal all my friend's food." Malik chuckled, stealing another fry. My heart softened with empathy, and Coen's expression shared the same emotion I was feeling. "Maybe you should talk to her."

Coen lifts his brow, "I wouldn't even know what to say. You're the one gifted with words." He pointed toward the food stall. "She likes cotton candy? Maybe I'll go buy her one." Before he stands, the sudden urge to be the one to talk to her takes over, and I head to the cotton candy stand.

Armed with the pink cloud of spun sugar, I hesitantly approach her table. With a warm smile and unexpected courage, I walk over and hand her the cotton candy. "Here/ Something sweet for a tough day."

At the sound of my voice, Ella turns and looks at me, surprise melting in gratitude. "Serenity, you didn't have to." I shrug, sitting down on the bench beside her. "I wanted to. We may not be friends, but we're not enemies. Death is hard, you shouldn't go through it alone."

Ella's eyes softened, and she unexpectedly pulls me into a hug. "Thank you. You've been an unlikely friend through the bullshit. I never expected it, but thank you."

I genuinely smile, holding her in my arms. "Graduation's around the corner, and I wish you nothing but the best. I'll be cheering for you."

Ella releases me, a smile breaking through her once saddened face "And I'll be cheering for you too, Serenity. At graduation and beyond."

The rollercoasters and excited yells roared in the background, but in that moment, the genuine exchange between Ella and I was the most exhilarating ride of all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

448 307 18
Cover credits: @AaryanVB THEME: In our teenage, we are expected to behave like adults but are treated as children. It's the most troublesome phase. A...
297 39 29
Cami has one wish. To get accepted to the arts program at her father's alma mater. But after facing constant rejections from magazines to publish her...
124 28 24
/dΙͺˈlΙͺΙ™riΙ™m/ /dΙͺˈlΙͺriΙ™m/ [uncountable] a mental state where somebody becomes excited and not able to think or speak clearly, usually because of illne...
1.8K 104 18
π•€π•–π•£π•–π•Ÿπ•šπ•₯π•ͺ: the absence of mental stress / anxiety ᢠⁱⁿᡈ ΚΈα΅’α΅˜Κ³ α΅–α΅‰α΅ƒαΆœα΅‰ | α΅–α΅˜α΅— ΚΈα΅’α΅˜Κ³ 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 ᡃᡗ 𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒆 α₯«α­‘ additional details inside . . ...