Broken Until You

By dreamaquarius

[COMPLETED] Autumn Cross is now in 12th grade at her new school, Willington High, with only one goal in mind:... More

Chapter 1 - You and Me? Partners? Nahhh
Chapter 2 - Confronting the Bad Boy
Chapter 3 - Friends? More like Enemies
Chapter 4 - Sadly, We're Neighboors
Chapter 5 - Caught Staring
Chapter 6 - Dinner at the Becker's
Chapter 7 - Derek the Lifesaver
Chapter 8 - Locked Out
Chapter 9 - Trip to the Animal Shelter
Chapter 10 - Inner Peace
Chapter 11 - Bad Boys Get Jealous? Never Knew
Chapter 12 - Broccoli
Chapter 13 - The War Within Me
Chapter 14 - I Didn't Know that was Your Kink
Chapter 15 - Way to Kill the Mood Bieber
Chapter 16 - He Cares
Chapter 17 [PART 1] - Too Real For Me
Chapter 17 [PART 2] - Feeling of Confidence
Chapter 18 - The Lion and His Prey
Chapter 19 - Ghost Town
Chapter 20 - Halloween
Chapter 21 - The Night Sparks Vulnerability
Chapter 22 - Ice Cream and Dirty Thoughts
Chapter 23 - A Desire to Protect Her
Chapter 24 - The Picture
Chapter 25 - Ofcourse, We're Roomates
Chapter 26 - Empire State Building
Chapter 27 - We're Both Broken, You Know
Chapter 28 - Let Me Show You Peace
Chapter 29 [PART 1] - The Thought of Her
Chapter 29 [PART 2] - Be Mine
Chapter 30 - Christmas
Authors Note (more chapters coming)
Chapter 31 - Bad Things Happen to Good People
Chapter 32 - We Meet Again
Chapter 33 - My Love, I Adore You
Authors Note (again lol)
Help Me Choose a Book Cover :)
Chapter 34 - Heather Being Nice? Not Possible
Chapter 35 - Prom Queen
Chapter 37 - Sleepless Nights
Chapter 38 - The Enemy Saves the Day
Chapter 39 - Hug Me Tighter
Chapter 40 - Long Distance?
Book Cover
Chapter 41 - The Presentation
Chapter 42 - I'm All Yours
Chapter 43 - Graduation
EPILOGUE
Thank You, Readers
BONUS CHAPTER
One More Thank You (Please Read)

Chapter 36 - It's Not What it Looks Like

23.5K 732 254
By dreamaquarius

Ryder

"Sad you didn't win prom king along with your girlfriend?" she laughed.

I smirked. "Seems like you were pretty pissed you didn't win prom queen, Heather."

She snarled. "I deserved it."

I laughed out loud. "Pfft. In what world?"

"Shut up," Heather demanded.

I folded my arms and raised my eyebrow at her rudeness, challenging her.

Obviously, she lost.

"I mean," she cleared her throat and smiled, "come sit. Please."

When I walked over to her and sat down, I made sure to keep distance. Who knows...she might have rabies.

"You look ravishing tonight." She batted her fake eyelashes.

Glaring at her, I got straight to the point. "Why the hell did you steal my girlfriends dress?"

"Because we all know it looks prettier on me."

Once again, in what world?

"You're a bitch, Heather. No wonder you have no real friends."

She rolled her eyes at me. "God!- why is Autumn dating you? You're so annoying."

"Actually, I'm not annoying. I just don't like you."

She bitterly laughed. "Get in line."

"Why did you want to talk? If you don't mind, I would actually like to get back in time to see my girlfriend."

"Oh really?" Heather scooted closer, making me feel uncomfortable. "You want to see her wrapping her arm around Derek, your enemy, while he wraps his hand around her tiny waist? You really want to see them smiling together while people take photos of them like paparazzi do when they see a famous couple?"

I balled my hands into fist, trying not to let Heather's words get the best of me.

Yes, it did bother me that Autumn would have to take photos with Derek while he wrapped his arm around her. Obviously it would bother me. But I can't get jealous because I know jealousy does no good to anyone.

"What if it was you and I who won. What do you think Autumn would have done then if she saw you wrapping your arm around me?" Heather asked me.

I closed my eyes to imagine Heather and I winning and taking photos.

When my imagination became vague and clouded, I closed my eyes tighter, but no matter how hard I tried to picture it, I couldn't. The only person I could ever imagine winning with would be Autumn.

I opened my eyes and looked at Heather. "That would never happen – you and I. And even if it did, I would probably not put my arms around you...unless I had to."

She nodded slowly while gazing at the blackened lake. "I see."

We stayed silent for a while; just two people enjoying the sound of the wind, lost in their own thoughts.

I looked at her. The wind rippled through her long, blonde hair. Her lips were closed tightly and her eyes were hooded with sadness. She looked so vulnerable. I've never seen this side of her.

But most of all, she looked so lonely; lonelier than a lone wolf howling under the moon.

Seeing her like this, she did remind me of a wolf: everyone fears her and her minions stay loyal to her due to their fear of her. She is so misunderstood and is really the little girl afraid of her own shadow, and not the big bad wolf that she portrays to the world.

When I saw this side of her, all I could think about is what I've really seen from her home life – the truth.

"Is...is everything alright at home?" I asked her.

My question caught her attention. She turned to face me and smiled awkwardly. "Of course everything is fine. Why wouldn't it be?" she forced a laugh.

I analyzed her. She looked nervous.

"Just asking." I shrugged.

I continue to analyze her.

"You know if you weren't so fake maybe people would start liking you more," I advised her.

"It won't matter in a few months, we'll all be off to college anyways," she responded, keeping her vision on the view in front of us.

"It's not a high school tip, Heather. It's a life tip."

She changed the subject. "Do...do you hate me, Ryder?"

I sighed. "I don't hate you, I just hate the things you do."

"Would you be friends with me? Ever?"

"If you weren't such a bitch then yeah, I suppose."

She laughed.

I looked into her eyes and smiled as she laughed.

When she realized I was staring at her, she stopped laughing.

"What?" she asked, dumbfounded.

I didn't respond, and she didn't ask me to respond. Like me, she kept quiet and stared into my eyes.

There was something hidden in her green eyes — like an emotion she was trying desperately to conceal from the world.

It almost felt like...

"I like you," Heather blurted out of no where.

Silence...

I blinked. "Wait what?"

"I.Like.You," she said slower, staring me in the eyes as she did so.

"You called me annoying like five minutes ago..." I reminded her.

"Sometimes I say stupid things when I like someone, Ryder."

I scooted back a little bit. "Heather, you can't like me. I have a girlfriend that I dearly love."

Her bottom lip quivered and a tear escaped her eye. "Why can't you like me? I'm way prettier and smarter and popular than Autumn! It isn't fair. Ryder, please..."

I stood up, fixing my tie. "Look I'm sorry Heather but I have to go."

When she didn't respond I took that as a sign to leave quickly.

My hand reached for the back door. But before I could pull it open, Heather tightly put her hand on my shoulder.

"Ryder."

I turned to face her. "Yeah- Heather!"

Heather grabbed both of my shoulders and pushed me to her so she could kiss me on the lips.

I didn't expect her to do this so I couldn't react fast enough when her lips made contact with mine.

Wet, slobbery lips attacked me as she wrapped her arms around my body, feeling me everywhere.

Eagerly, I pushed her away with great force. "What the fuck do you think you're doing?!" I screamed. Is this girl crazy? I have a girlfriend!

She ran back up to me and grabbed a fist-ful of my hair, slamming my face back on hers.

I mumbled a 'get off' and tried pushing her off of me once again, but her leg was tightly wrapped around mine and her acrylic nails dug into my shoulders.

I hated the taste of her lips. I hated that I was stupid enough to stay outside and talk to her.

I grabbed her wrist and mumbled between her lips, "get off of m-''

The back door opened.

"R-Ryder?" I heard a pained whisper come from the person who stood in the doorway.

This time I shoved Heather to the floor and she fell on her butt.

I looked at the person who caught Heather and I and I could feel my heart drop.

Oh no...

"Autumn, I swear to god it's not what it looks like."

But it didn't matter what I said.

"I'm going to beat the shit out of you, Heather!" Autumn screamed, stomping towards her.

Heather held her arms up in surrender. "Woah there, your boyfriend came onto me. He was trying to kiss me."

That liar! Witch!

Autumn stopped in her tracks and slowly turned to face me. "W-What?" her voice cracked like she was on the verge of tears.

The betrayal and sadness on her face – like I just slaughtered her family – was enough for me to break down and cry. Her legs were shaking. Her mouth was quivering and I could see how glassy her eyes were getting. Just one blink and the tears would fall.

She blinked, and I was right. Tears streamed down her face like waterfalls.

"She's fucking lying, Autumn! I would never kiss anyone but you. You are my everything. I would never betray you. Just please let me explain!" I pleaded, trying to get Autumn to calm down and stop crying.

There were flowers in her hand, and I assumed she got them from one of her friends as a congratulatory gift for winning prom queen.

She looked at the flowers in disgust and then, with anger, threw them at me. I easily caught them but cursed under my breath when one of the thorns pierced my thumb.

Autumn looked up at the night sky to hold back her tears then looked into my eyes with a fiery anger so dangerous, it could burn down cities.

"So this," she bitterly laughed and smiled like she heard a sick joke, "is what heart break feels like."

"Autumn, let me explain! She came onto me and-''

The back of her hand made contact with the side of my face. For a girl, she had a gnarly back hand slap that stinged.

She glared at me in a threateningly manner. "I don't wanna hear it, you sick bastard."

"Autumn, please..." A tear escaped my eye.

She didn't respond. Instead, she turned on her heel, flipped her hair, and walked back into the building, leaving her with what she think she saw and leaving me with what really happend.

"Autumn..." I whispered into the cold night, my words getting lost in the wind. No one would heal my pain tonight.

I fell to my knees and let out a scream in pain and sadness. Tears flowed down my cheeks as I sobbed uncontrollably.

I heard the sound of heels. "Well, I didn't win prom queen, but this definitely made my night," Heather evilly laughed and walked away, leaving me alone.

This is all Heather's fault. God I hate her.

I wanted to hit Heather and let all my anger out on her, but I could barely lift my head to see her walk away.

I felt so defeated. So powerless.

So...broken.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHORS NOTE:

Hehehe😈😈😈 sorry if you think I'm evil for doing this to our two beloved main characters. But have hope because this is not the end. Remember, love defeats all!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 68.6K 63
He pinned me to the wall and brought himself impossibly close to me. I was trapped, quite literally. He grabbed my ass and I gasped at the sudden gus...
153K 4.6K 33
Completed "What the hell do you think you're doing?" I asked, glaring at him while he forcefully dragged me out of class. "You told me you need help...
18.5K 561 64
Isabella Harper, a nineteen-year-old, lost her color vision after her sister's suicide. She shut down herself from everyone and remained in her world...
1.4M 43.9K 92
"You're mine. And I don't think you wanna go against that." Her eyes dangerously darkened. He gulped, and nodded a yes. --- Everybody has a story. An...