Moonhaven

By AylaAbabio

Book 1 of 2 in the Otherworldy series. Alex Prior and his father, Grayson Prior, come home to an unpleasant s... More

Chapter 1: To the Northwest, and Don't Look Back
Chapter 2: Pepper and Lemon Shrimp
Chapter 3: Heliotropium
Chapter 4: Are You Now...? Have You Ever...?
Chapter 6: Here Comes the Neighborhood
Chapter 7: Pillow Talks
Chapter 8: A Salamander Tale
Chapter 9: The Hardest Punch of All
Chapter 10: Trust Him Not
Chapter 11: Adulting isn't a Full-time Job
Chapter 12: Rendezvous in the Rain
Chapter 13: Six Time's the Charm
Chapter 14: Red Velvet Mites
Chapter 15: Evil Lives
Chapter 16: A Pie and a Cake
Chapter 17: Ziro Experience
Chapter 18: What Happens at Sleepovers
Chapter 19: About You Now
Chapter 20: Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate
Chapter 21: Let. It. Burn.
Chapter 22: The Reason Why
Chapter 23: Lies My Monitor Told Me
Chapter 24: Alex Dean Prior
Chapter 25: A Midnight Stranger

Chapter 5: A Place of Teenage Angst

29 5 0
By AylaAbabio

The café was abuzz with cheerfulness as the group surrounded Alex, but the mini celebration was interrupted by a sharp whistle.

As they all turned to the source, Ziro removed his thumb and index finger from his mouth. The torturous silence had returned.

"Be still, there'll be plenty of time for that later. You need to know the rules from now. Every evening or night, depending on everyone, we hold a meeting. Usually at a secret grotto, and sometimes at my house. During those meetings we discuss our days, plan personal events, share any relevant information that might affect one of us somehow, and sparring if anyone's up for it. You have to attend every meeting unless certain circumstances prevent you otherwise. Every now and then, we go on missions — the goals for them will vary. If I give you a solo mission, you have to try and do your best. Lastly, never keep secrets. Questions?"

"...just three," Alex said. All eyes gravitated to him once again. Ziro waited patiently. "What exactly do you mean by 'sparring'?"

Ziro pulled his sword from its silver sheath. Both the blade and its handle were a lustrous black. Part of the blade had Korean writing engraved in silver.

"Some people might see fighting as dangerous or mindless. I find it peaceful. This is Necrodian," he held up his sword. "Like your Aetherius, I created it as well as Helio. Sometimes Carsyn and I spar, with and without weapons. Occasionally I try to encourage the others to participate in the weaponless sparring when they can. When they don't, they keep an eye on us when she and I spar. Since you also have a weapon, you're welcome to spar with either one of us. Second?"

"...yeah," Alex started, "so, who made you the boss?"

Audible gasps exploded all around, but Alex wasn't sure from who exactly they came from. Carsyn couldn't hold her snickering, and Ziro narrowed his eyes at Alex.

"I prefer leader," Ziro replied at last, unconcerned yet blunt. "And I'm the most disciplined of the group. But if you can beat me in a fight — weapons or none — you can be the 'boss'."

"Noted," was all Alex said as he tried to keep composure. Carsyn laughed, and surprisingly enough, even Ziro shed a smile for a brief second.

"Third?" Ziro asked.

"Oh, uh, where is this 'secret grotto' place anyway?"

For a prolonged moment, Ziro didn't say anything and his eyes drifted to the ground. Alex tried to speak, but Carsyn placed her hand on his shoulder to stop him.

"Outside," Ziro finally said. "Come." He walked out of the café first, then when Alex didn't follow, Carsyn clutched his shoulders and spun him around herself, giving him a push towards the door.

Jeremi appeared from behind and spared a motivating pat on the back. "Don't worry, he wouldn't murder you in broad daylight."

Strangely, Jeremi's words managed to instill enough confidence, allowing Alex to trudge the rest of the way through the doors. He didn't glance back, but he could the rest of the group following after him.

"There," Ziro pointed to the lighter stone bridge on the far right side of the town. "After you've crossed Faerie bridge, you'll be at Riviam Point. A lot of kids in Moonhaven go there to get rid of any angst pent up. Go to the furthest part of it, and you'll find stone steps leading down to the grotto. When you finally get to it, tell the person inside to leave. Do whatever you have to, to make sure he does."

"Wait," Alex started. "Is this...a mission?"

"It is." Ziro stared at him, still looking very unconcerned. The rest of the group observed Alex in curious thought. Carsyn was the only one to steal a hard glance at Ziro. "Afterwards, go home and Syn will come get you later."

"Alright..." Alex braced himself, his eyes locking on to Faerie bridge, as he turned and set off.

"Do you seriously think he can pull it off?" Tate whispered.

Jeremi joined in. "Yeah man. I mean he looks like he could take a few punches, but not much else."

"It's risky to instill so much confidence in foreign locals, especially so quickly," Nyne added.

Carsyn went back to staring at Ziro, her gaze cold and warning.

Ziro finally met her eyes, though was unfazed. "We'll see what happens."

Fifthteen minutes had come and gone by the time Alex arrived at the stone steps of Riviam Point. The steps didn't seem steep or hazardous, and in fact they looked quite smooth. They were situated between a rugged wall, and an expansive body of water — an ocean, Alex thought. A small waterfall ran overhead of the grotto, the sound of it was an endless loop of crashing water. Alex stuffed his hands inside his pockets as he descended the steps.

He peeked through the grotto's entrance, and instantly noticed the shallow hollowness of its cave-like structure. Several miniature glittering stones projected all over the walls and ceiling. Its floor was an even concrete with small heaps of actual sand established here and there against the walls. On one side, was a sizeable hollowed beech wood log. On the other, three massive irregular-shaped sandstone rocks rested. Planted at the head of it all, was a giant obsidian boulder.

Atop the boulder, a boy sat — lofty and light skinned, alone and brooding. His hair was black, lowly faded, and wavy. From where Alex stood, he could still mange to see a black screw earring on his right ear, a silver lip ring on his lower left lip; and two tiny round silver piercings on his right eyebrow. He slouched as he sat, staring sullenly at the floor.

Alex came out from hiding and stood front and center where his silhouette illuminated.

The boy straightened as he noticed. "Who the hell are you?"

Alex couldn't help but gaze at him; the boy's piercings glinted a bit in the meager light making it through downstairs. He inadvertently began walking up to the boy, step after step over the sandy concrete. The boy stood with all possible haste, readying himself into an attack stance.

Alex noticed and stopped midway to him. "My name... is-it's Alex. I just moved here last night with my dad. I was told to come here, to get you to leave this place."

At full tilt, the boy closed the distance between them, now just a few inches from Alex. "You were told? Fucking Ziro..." he realized Alex had been staring at him oddly. As he spoke to him, Alex noticed another tiny round piercing on the boy's tongue. "What?"

Alex flinched. "Sorry, but all your piercings-"

The boy grabbed Alex by the scruff of his shirt and yanked him closer. "What of it!"

"It looks cool..." Alex breathed. "I've never seen anyone with so much metal on their face. It's cool. Seriously. Nearly everyone looked the same where I came from. I could never pull it off — not even one piercing. Needles freak me out, yet every flu season my dad still forces me to get a shot. Ah...sorry 'bout that. I got all Grand Canyon deep on you out of nowhere."

The boy stared at Alex for an eon, before finally releasing him. He looked at him again like he wasn't even human. "What'd you say your name was?"

"Alex — Alex Prior. Oh, I almost forgot, what's yours? My dad says it's ridiculously easy to talked for ages without asking someone's name."

"Lev...Novas."

"Mysterious," Alex smiled. "Is Lev short for anything?"

Lev seemed to almost chuckle, but he held it back. "Leven. My turn for questions, Prior. How do you know Ziro?"

"Oh, well I just met him. Scary looking guy. I was introduced by someone else named Carsyn-"

"Mitchell?"

"Yeah. You know her too?"

Lev sighed. "You met Acera, you met Mitchell, your on a mission. You obviously must've met the whole fucking gang by now."

Alex had noticed a hint of distress cross Lev's face, but didn't comment. "Yeah. Colorful bunch."

Lev stared at him again, for another infinite moment, and Alex did the same.

"You're not gonna ask?" Lev spoke at last.

"Ask what?"

"What the freaking deal is between me and them?"

"We just met. It's not really my business. Not very polite either."

This time Lev didn't hold back, and actually laughed. "Polite? Did the magical place you came from where nearly everyone looked the same teach you that?"

Alex grinned at spectacle that was witnessing Lev's hearty laugh. "Actually, my dad did."

Lev's laugh got louder; it echoed of the bedazzled walls. He spun on his heels and went back to his position on the rock. "I know you said it's not your business to know what's up between me and them, so I won't tell you. And you can go tell Ziro that I'm not leaving."

Alex panicked. "O-okay, I know I also said that we just met, but I need you to do this, please. I...don't wanna face that guy's wrath. I didn't really believe that stuff he said about doing 'my best' all that much."

Lev eyeballed him for the umpteenth time. "You...you're more scared of him than me?"

"Huh? Oh, well...yeah, I guess."

Lev kept staring him down, leaving the grotto scathingly quiet. "Let's make a deal. I'll leave, and never come back to this place, if you come to my house tomorrow and spend the day and night there."

Alex's eyes lit up as bright as the stones in the ceiling. "Like a...sleepover?"

Lev snickered. "Sure."

Alex held out his hand. "It's a deal. I'll be there first thing tomorrow morning. Say...ten?" Lev smirked and hopped off the boulder again to take Alex's hand, his grip unbreakable and warm. "Where is 'there', by the way?"

"Know what?" Lev said. "Meet me back here tomorrow at 10 a.m., and we'll walk to my place together." He pulled away and nudged past Alex to leave the grotto, leaving Alex to stare at his now empty hand.

"See ya then," Lev said without turning around.

"Yeah..." Alex whispered to himself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

945 47 31
"Do not find love. Let love find you" -------------- "What did he do this time, princess?" Grayson purrs in my ear. He actually purrs. Pushing him b...
424K 15.7K 42
THIS WAS MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT WRITING, READ AT OWN RISK! THERE ARE MANY ERRORS, AS MAJORITY OF IT IS UNEDITED. IF YOU WISH TO READ A MORE PUNCTUALLY A...
179 38 19
(This is my second time ever writing a book description, so please just bear with me on this one) A boy, abused by his father and suffering from a se...
14.7K 1.2K 39
BOOK THREE OF THE CURSE SERIES The pack comes first. Always had, always will. There was absolutely nothing that could change Crystal Westwood's mind...