A Summer Thing

By pseudoannie

(Completed) When Patricia's daughter comes to her battered, she has to look at her own past as she helps her... More

A Summer Thing
1 - Patricia
2 - Patricia
3 - Callie
4 - Callie
5 - Callie
6 - Patricia
7 - Callie
8 - Patricia
9 - Callie
10 - Patricia
11- Callie
12 - Patricia
14 - Patricia
15 - Callie
16 - Patricia
17 - Callie
18 - Patricia
19 - Callie
20 - Patricia
21 - Callie
22 - Patricia
23 - Callie
24 - Patricia
25 - Callie
26 - Patricia
27 - Callie
28 - Patricia
29 - Callie
30 - Callie
31 - Patricia
32 - Patricia
33 - Callie
34 - Patricia
35 - Callie
36 - Patricia
37 - Callie
38 - Patricia
39 - Callie
40 - Patricia
41 - Callie
42 - Patricia

13 - Callie

2.2K 221 8
By pseudoannie

I was emotionally exhausted. I had a video call with the police detective for what seemed like a day and a half, but it was really an hour and a half. I didn't want to answer her questions. If Parker got in trouble with the law, he'd blame me.

Gail encouraged me to tell the truth. I suppose the truth showed on my face. Although it had faded, it was still obvious he bruised me.

When I asked if they would arrest Parker, she told me they were still collecting evidence. She asked about his past relationships. I suspected something with a woman in his building, because she was always staring at me. At first, I thought she was jealous, but then I wondered if she was pitying me.

"Do you think she knew he could be violent?" the detective asked.

"Maybe. I don't know anything anymore. He called her a bitch, but he calls all women bitch, except his mother."

Thinking of how degrading he was towards women, I grew angry. I felt foolish for being so blind.

After that long meeting, I went for my first walk on the beach. It was late afternoon, and there weren't many people enjoying the sand. I sat and watched the waves. The salt air filled my lungs as the ocean sounds surrounded me   — the surf, the seagulls, the children.

I watched two children run in circles until they fell on the sand. They were young but too old for diapers. I observed the little girl who looked like she had a bucketful of sand in her bathing suit.

I felt drew to them, because they were full of joy. I imagined they only knew love in their innocent little lives. I longed to go back to that feeling.

I heard a voice call out. "Clara and Ian time to go."

I felt a sense of loss after they ran to their father, gathered their toys, and left my view. In time, I moved on too. I walked up a side street with cottages and houses on each side. Inside families were having dinner and living happy lives.

As I started making my way back, I stopped to take a look inside the store. The Landing appeared to sell a small selection of grocery and health and beauty items. There were tables with people eating. The board displayed a menu of breakfast items and sandwiches.

On my way out, I saw a corkboard with notices pinned to it - lawn mowers and kayaks for sale and services offered, like yard work. Then I saw a note card with scrawled writing: Babysitter needed flexible hours for Clara -4 and Ian -3.

It had to be for the same children I had just seen, who had made me feel happy, just watching them play. Without hesitation, I grabbed the index card with the phone number and walked back home.

Thanks for voting ⭐️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.8K 487 13
🌊" Your heart is like the ocean Oli, full of love, hope, and life."🌊 The summer I turned pretty Season 1 ♾Jeremiah X Oliana♾ 💌Rankings So Far💌 ...
35.9K 2.7K 15
(Complete) Michelle and Rob had lost one another to the pressures of their careers and life. Could Christmas on The Point help them find a spark and...
149K 10.9K 40
(Complete) New Year's Day is a time for resolutions. Jack Harris, still mourning the tragic death of his wife, vows to start living again. Maddie Ev...
172K 2.6K 31
Every summer the girls rent out an airbnb that allows two other people to rent the other half. Everytime they stay the girls wait to see who rents it...