The Quest

By delusional_wanderer

Alannah is no stranger to adventure, having been raised by the wizard, Gandalf the Grey. Having little memor... More

Prologue: The tale of Galadhel & Alatar
The Quest: Chapter 1
The Quest: Chapter 2
The Quest: Chapter 3
The Quest: Chapter 4
The Quest: Chapter 5
The Quest: Chapter 6
The Quest: Chapter 7
The Quest: Chapter 8
The Quest: Chapter 9
The Quest: Chapter 10
The Quest: Chapter 11
The Quest: Chapter 12
The Quest: Chapter 13
The Quest: Chapter 14
The Quest: Chapter 15
The Quest: Chapter 16
The Quest: Chapter 17
The Quest: Chapter 18
The Quest: Chapter 19
The Quest: Chapter 20
The Quest: Chapter 21
The Quest: Chapter 22
The Quest: Chapter 23
The Quest: Chapter 24
The Quest: Chapter 25
The Quest:Chapter 26
The Quest: Chapter 27
The Quest: Chapter 28
The Quest: Chapter 29
The Quest: Chapter 30
The Quest: Chapter 31
The Quest: Chapter 32
The Quest: Chapter 33
The Quest: Chapter 34
The Quest: Chapter 35
The Quest: Chapter 36
The Quest: Chapter 37
The Quest: Chapter 38
The Quest: Chapter 39
The Quest: Chapter 40
The Quest Chapter 41
The Quest: Chapter 42
The Quest: Chapter 43
The Quest Chapter 44
The Quest Chapter 45
The Quest Chapter 46
The Quest Chapter 47
The Quest: Chapter 48
The Quest Chapter 49
The Quest Chapter 50
THE QUEST: Chapter 52
Epilogue: We're here

The Quest: Chapter 51

2.8K 95 36
By delusional_wanderer

A/N: I have receive many messages about the ending of this story and I'm happy to announce that THIS IS NOT THE FINAL CHAPTER. I hope you all enjoy, please leave comments and votes as I love reading all of your feedback and reactions. Love you all! ~A

"It's finished." Legolas stated as he took several paces back from the small boat that he and Gimli had built together, wiping a small bead of sweat from his brow. Gimli nodded approvingly as he kicked the hull of the ship with his boot, letting out a loud grunt in approval. The ship meant more to Legolas than just a means of transportation, it restored a sense of hope within him that soon, he would be reunited with his wife and son. He sucked in a deep breath as he placed a hand on Gimli's shoulder, needing to balance himself for a moment, as he was overcome with emotion. The beating of his heart quickened and his vision grew blurry as he felt himself sway slightly. The thought of reuniting with his family was enough to bring him to tears once again as it had every night he lay in their bed, alone.

The loneliness was what was the worst. Throughout his days he was able to keep himself busy, his mind occupied as Gimli was more often than not around to help him do so. But at night when the colony was quiet, Legolas would lay in the bed he once shared with Alannah and clutch her pillow to his chest and cry. Often times he feared holding her pillow to him would fade the scent of lilies she had left behind but his pain pushed it away, needing to feel her in some sort of way even if it was just an old pillow.

On some rare nights when Legolas was utterly consumed with his grief, he even ventured to Oryn's room. He could never make it past the doorway, having only ever been able to bring himself to open the door ever so slightly. Sometimes, he visualized the baby ellon that used to lay sleeping peacefully within. But now, the room lay vacant with a fine layer of dust covering the entire room. His entire family was gone; Alannah, Oryn, Thranduil, Gandalf. His world, his heart. All he had now were his memories and the rooms that were haunted with them.

Gimli's hand closed over Legolas' as it clasped his shoulder, knowing his friend had experienced more hurt than any living being should have to endure. Once he felt Legolas' swaying cease, he pushed his hand from his shoulder and trudged over to the ship. "Well, what are you waiting on pointy ears! Are we sailing this fair day or are you too fearful of getting your hair wet?" Gimli asked, knowing their playful teasing toward one another often helped with Legolas' mood. Legolas managed a small smile in return as he raised his eyebrow. "And you think you can reach the oars with those short arms?" He quipped as he turned to go back inside his home to ensure everything he wished to bring along was already packed. "One moment Gimli."

Legolas smirked as he heard Gimli huff impatient when he walked through the doorway, definitely more anxious to leave than he was. Legolas was leaving almost everything behind having decided to bring only Alannah's old journals, his son's baby blanket and the Lothlorien leaf clasps he and Alannah wore on their cloaks when they were in the fellowship. Things and objects meant nothing to him, preferring to forego everything he had ever acquired to join his wife and son sooner. Legolas closed the door to Oryn's room as he walked through the corridors, making his way back to his and Alannah's room one final time. He stood in front of the bed with his arms crossed, his eyes darting around as he imagined her there. Legolas could still envision her combing her long hair in front of the mirror, sitting on the chair rocking their son, moaning softly on the bed as they made love. He inhaled deeply as the memories flooded him, deciding to open their armoire to look inside one more time.

His eyes were suddenly caught on something shoved to the back, almost completely flush against the wood. Reaching in and grasping it he immediately recognized it to be Alannah's pipe and pipeweed that Gandalf had gifted her many years ago. He pulled it out and studied it as his thumb ran over her soft chew marks on its stem. A small jar accompanied it and much to Legolas' surprise the pipeweed still seemed to be in fresh and consumable despite its many years hidden away. Carrying the items out onto the balcony, he sat them down on the rail and looked down at them. Never had he been fond of it when Alannah partook, but also he never objected or chastised her as he knew it held sentimental value to her. Missing her greatly coupled with his own curiosity, Legolas stuffed the pipe with a small amount of the weed and ignited it. The fragrant smoke rose in front of him and into the sky, immediately hearkening the memories of Gandalf visiting them while he pulled Alannah aside to discreetly share in the hobby. He held the stem in his mouth and pulled the vapors through, allowing the smoke to roll around his tongue before he exhaled. Immediately he felt a calmness come over him, whether it be the natural effects of the herb or simply the nostalgic effect it created, he wasn't sure and truth be told, he didn't care.

Legolas finished the pipeweed and cleaned out the pipe as he knew Alannah always did before stuffing it into his tunic to bring along. He was ready to depart and begin sailing, but for some reason Legolas felt like today he couldn't. Something about this day. He felt as if there was some unfinished business he needed to tend to but he couldn't put his finger on what that could be. Legolas walked around their room, doing his best to see if there was anything else he needed to do before leaving. Finally his eyes settled on the rolled up maps on their desk, having not been used or read in ages. His eyes trailed over the map of Middle Earth, reminiscing on each location that he had fond memories of until his gaze settled on Dale and Erebor. Then, he realized what he needed to do.

"Combing your hair? Changing your clothes? What is the hold up?!" Gimli boomed as he stormed inside. Legolas quickly rolled up the map and turned to his friend, gripping the parchment tightly. "Gimli, we will sail but I must do something first. Will you wait for me?" Legolas asked quietly with his head hung low. Normally Gimli would have grumbled and cursed with being frustrated but as he looked at his friend, he nodded. "Aye. I will wait."

~

Alannah departed from Elarinya and Thranduil after some time, instructed on where she should go to meet Estë. She had no knowledge of the woman she was to seek council with and although in the majestic and beautiful lands of Valinor, her heart still cared little. Her pained heart weighed heavy in her chest as if she had been carrying a stone throughout all the ages of her life, completely and utterly overshadowing any good and happiness that she had experienced.

Her feet walked aimlessly as she kept her eyes downward to the ground, unable to look around at the lands surrounding her. A voice called out to her as she continued, barely looking up to see who was greeting her.

"Alannah!" The voice called for her. Finally she looked up, a tall and younger man clad in white several paces from her. Her head cocked to the side as she approached him, sensing something strange about the individual in question. He stood much taller than her as his dark blue eyes looked down, bearing into hers. "Alannah." He reiterated as he stepped forth, recognizing the pain she had carried for many years and long distance.

"You know who I am?" Alannah asked as she blankly returned his gaze. There was something about him, something that she couldn't put her finger on. The man released a deep sigh before his lips formed a deep frown, turning slightly as he waved for her to follow him. "It is my business to know who you are." He answered vaguely as she followed alongside him. "You've experienced deep loss, and heartbreak."

Alannah barely managed a nod in response as the memories of her life in Middle Earth flashed in her mind. Her parents,Boromir, Legolas, Gandalf, Oryn. Each name and emotion carved upon her heart deeply, stinging as she allowed herself to recall each instance of hurt. "Yes." She whispered. The man draped his arm over her shoulder and for some unknown reason, Alannah let him. A familiar comfort radiated from him as he directed her through many gardens and into a final garden that seemed to glow and radiate silver hues of starlight. A quiet and peaceful lake lie just in the center of the elaborate landscape, seemingly covered in tranquil shadows of the many trees that surrounded it.

"You're seeking Estë if I am to understand correctly." The man stated as he moved to sit on a large rock, patting the space beside him for Alannah to join him. She sat down beside him yet kept a small bit of distance, unsure of who he was or why he was with her. "I am, my husband's mother told me I must." Alannah looked down at her hands and allowed her finger to trace her gold wedding band, its gleam still as brilliant as it was the day of her wedding. "Are you my guide? Are you meant to take me to her?" Alannah finally asked, her curiosity finally having reached its peak. Her eyes bore into his seriously as she asked the question that had plagued her since her arrival. "Will you take me to my son?"

The man's shoulders relaxed and his eyes softened as he turned to look at her, a sad smile playing across his face. "My sweet girl..." He muttered, his eyes brimming with tears as he revealed his identity to her through the endearment. Alannah's mouth parted in shock as she lunged into his arms and buried her face into his chest.

"Gandalf!" Alannah sobbed as she gripped his robes desperately,uncaring of how he appeared to her now. The aged and weathered appearance of the wizard she knew was long gone, yet the unconditional love between a father and daughter remained.He held her to him tightly as she lamented all of her pain and weariness. The Istari wept with her as she told of the battle, losing Oryn, the emptiness that had been created in her heart. "Legolas..."Alannah murdered. "He sent me here." Gandalf only nodded on response, always having been confident in the love Legolas had for his daughter but satisfied that he had kept his word to him. His hand rubbed her back soothingly until her cries of pain softened into mere whimpers before pulling her up to stand in front of him.

"My child." Gandalf proclaimed proudly. "It is time." Alannah nodded her head as Gandalf used the white sleeves of his pristine robes to dry the tears from her face and led her to a large weeping willow on the far side of the lake. "Lay down here.." Gandalf instructed as Alannah lay beneath the shade of the tree, watching as it's long vines swayed ever so softly in the soft breeze. "Now, rest." He waved his hand over her face, putting her in a deep state of deep, enchanted sleep.

"Erulisse." A soft, melodic voice called out. Este's voice. "Alannah, let go."

In what seemed to be mere seconds, Alannah's entire life flashed before her eyes: Her parents in the forest, growing up with Gandalf, Minas Tirith, Boromir, Legolas,dancing with no music, her wedding night, the day Oryn was born, the day he had died, her departure to Valinor. Every moment, every pain, every experience suddenly seemed to be pulled out of her and replaced. Yet as she opened her eyes beneath the tree, she felt a totality of peace in her heart as if it had been healed of every pain she had carried. Her gaze immediately fell onto yet another familiar face beside Gandalf's, with that same melodic voice calling out to her. "Mother.."

~

Legolas rode his horse with excessive speed all day and through the night, heading north to tie up one more loose end. The final one he knew he needed to do for himself, and for Alannah before he finally departed across the sea. He packed nothing aside from the map and his father's crown that had been brought back to him shortly after he and Alannah had departed. Not once did Legolas ever wear it, not even to try it on after it had come into his possession. Instead, he kept the crown in the small throne room in their home in Ithilien partly in honor to his father, and part to remember why he was still in Middle Earth and not in Valinor with his family. Legolas knew many still relied on him and secretly as he and Gimli built their modest ship, he worried how they would cope with his final departure.

The horse slowed its pace as it navigated its way around cliffs and stone while Legolas shifted the satchel on his back. He was getting closer, he could feel it. The air was cooler the higher he went as the scent of the forests wafted into his nose. It was an all familiar feeling he hadn't experienced in years, not since he was last here many years ago. As he looked over the edge of the cliff he could see the rebuilt City of Dale thriving with its townsfolk with the ever prospering Erebor further away. In the distance a figure sitting against the edge of the cliff could be seen with a large cloak draped over its form. Legolas swallowed hard as he dismounted from his horse, whispering into its ear to wait for him as he approached.

"Tauriel." Legolas called out, unsure of how she would receive him. He hadn't seen or heard from her since that night in the clearing and being honest with himself, he hadn't wanted to. Not after what she had done. However, Legolas had a soft heart when it came to those he cared about even if they had wronged him. She didn't move as she looked down at the cities before him.

"I didn't wish for anyone to find me. Not then, and not years later. Please, go back home. Alannah and Oryn will be missing you. You're far from home, my lord." Tauriel replied, unknowing of the events that had taken place. Legolas froze where he stood as he opened his mouth to speak, knowing that what he was about to say would not only break her heart but his again as well.

"Tauriel...they are not home." He managed to choke out. Tauriel finally turned her head and looked at him, noticing the sadness in his voice. She leapt to her feet and moved to stand in front of him, searching his eyes for what pain lay there. Legolas inhaled sharply as he looked down at his wedding band, shaking his head as he spoke. "Oryn...our son died in battle. I held him...." His voice shook as he spoke while tears began to slide down his cheeks. "I held him until he was gone. As for Alannah.." Legolas finally raised his head to look at Tauriel, pain already evident in her own eyes. "The loss broke her heart, it broke her." Legolas cried quietly as Tauriel cautiously wrapped her arms around him, her own tears now flowing freely. Waves of guilt and regret washed over her at not only the actions she had done years ago, but for having left and not being there for her friends that truly she viewed as family. Never making amends.

"You sent her across the sea." Tauriel whispered through her tears. "Legolas..." Tauriel couldn't fathom the pain he had been carrying having lost his son and having to send his wife away so she would not fade. Her pain of losing Kili had truly festered in her heart, but the pain that Legolas and Alannah had endured was a pain she herself couldn't imagine. Legolas wiped his tears away and stepped away from her embrace, given their circumstances still wishing to keep their boundaries clear. Tauriel agreed as she crossed her hands in front of her and bowed deeply to him. "My heart pains for you, my lord. If you request I return to Ithilien, I will do so and continue to serve the royal family as I always have. Forgive me for all transgressions and hurt I have caused. I beseech you."

Legolas shook his head as he pulled on Tauriel's shoulder so she would stand before him. "Tauriel, there is no royal family any longer. I am only Legolas and that is all I wish to be." He slid the sack from his shoulder and held it in front of him for a moment before pulling out the crown he knew she would recognize immediately. The sack dropped at his feet as he clutched the branches in his hand, the wood smooth from its aged tenure. He took in a deep breath as he passed the crown to her. "I do not give you this to wear or to rule, but as a reminder. Ithilien will need someone to lead them, for I am departing to join with my family. The forest....does not call to my heart any longer."

Tauriel stood in front of Legolas holding the crown in her hands shaking her head in disbelief. Not only at learning of what had befallen Oryn and Alannah, but the knowledge that Legolas too was departing. She swallowed the lump in her throat before she finally nodded and bent down to retrieve the sack, placing the crown safely within. Her eyes flickered back to Dale and Erebor, knowing she too, must let go of her hurt and memories. "I will be in Ithilien by the first morning's sun." Tauriel promised as she tightened her cloak around her and swung the sack onto her back. Legolas nodded to her as he turned, mounting his horse once more. He gripped the reigns tightly and looked over his shoulder to catch his old friends gaze. "Navaer, Tauriel." Legolas murmured before he departed hastily back to Ithilien, never to see Tauriel again.

~
Legolas and Gimli sailed peacefully after their departure from the shores of Middle Earth. They began their trek from the Anduin out of Ithilien and into the sea, not once turning their eyes back to gaze upon their homes one last time. Legolas felt a great renewal and determination to reach Valinor, to reunite with his family and to allow his own heart to be healed from all he had experienced. It came to a surprise as the water was calm and serene, part of him expecting some reluctance from the Valar as he and Gimli ventured. Legolas remained silent of the fact that a dwarf had never sailed to Valinor, but somewhere in his heart he knew he would be accepted into the land that awaited them.

After some time, Legolas slumped in the boat as he thought of Alannah. It had never crossed his mind how she would receive him after he had sent her away. Worry overtook him, wondering if she would resent him for what he had done and the promise he had kept.

"Look!" Gimli finally exclaimed as he stood up, pointing ahead of them. Legolas was immediately snapped out of his own thoughts as he turned to look in the direction Gimli was indicating, his eyes able to see farther and in much more detail than his dwarf friend. His breath hitched at the sight of land, and a faraway figure that walked along the shore. Searching. Waiting.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

355K 19.5K 50
1st place in #depression ARNAV - who hates the word LOVE because of his bitter past will fall in love when he meets his SOULMATE? Will he attain the...
599K 13.4K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
1M 54.9K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
26.1K 1.2K 8
𝐀𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐚 𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐬, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐀𝐥𝐞𝐱𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐫𝐚 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐠𝐨𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐰𝐚𝐫, 𝐚 𝐝𝐞𝐦𝐢𝐠𝐨𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐯𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭�...