Uniquely Normal

By KeyanaMonet

*UNDER EDITING* In the intricate web of high school, Coen and Serenity shared a close friendship, until life... More

Welcome
Epigraph | Dedication
NOVEMBER
Chapter 1: Prologue
Chapter 2: Beginning
Chapter 3: Reunion
DECEMBER
Chapter 4: Home
Chapter 5: Bloom
Chapter 6: Imperfect
Chapter 7: Dare
Chapter 8: Bliss
Chapter 9: Emerge
Chapter 10: Joy
Chapter 11: Glee
JANUARY
Chapter 12: Enough
Chapter 13: Enchanted
Chapter 14: Devote
Chapter 15: Irrevocable
Chapter 16: Resolve
FEBRUARY
Chapter 17: Retrovailles
Chapter 18: Enamored
MARCH
Chapter 20: Growth
APRIL
Chapter 21: Epiphany
Chapter 22: Certainty
MAY
Chapter 23: Elated
Chapter 24: Fervor
Chapter 25: Triumph
JUNE
Chapter 26: Wanderlust
Chapter 27: Farewell Part I
Chapter 28: Farewell Part II
E P I L O U G E
π΄π‘’π‘‘β„Žπ‘œπ‘Ÿπ‘  π‘π‘œπ‘‘π‘’
Authors Note
Exciting News
Authors Note!!
BOOK EDITING
SUPER DUPER EXCITING NEWS!

Chapter 19: Pride

1.5K 80 5
By KeyanaMonet

"Where's Coen? He's never been this late." Nova spoke as she gazed around the foyer for him. We were all in our signature spot up in the front of the building, waiting for him.

As if on some snap of the finger cue, Coen walked through the doors with a wide grin. Today was surprisingly warm for it being early march so he had his jacket in his grasp along with a drink tray. His muscled arms were covered by the sleeves of a white button up which was underneath an emerald sweater vest. His small gold nose stud was back in, his hair styled away from his face except for the platinum streak of hair that fell in a soft Superman curl against his forehead.

Confidence was all anyone could say when looking upon him. His stride was long and incredibly smooth. Almost as if he were floating. The aroma of his musky cologne filled my nose and his smooth lips fell into a smirk as he admired me up and down. He connected his eyes to mine before winking.

It should be illegal to look this good.

"You're late, McCallister. But I'll let it pass because you look nice." Wes spoke as everyone admired his appearance. "I know, I stopped to get a Shamrock Shake from McDonald's."

He pushed the cardboard drink tray in my direction, urging me to take the other. "Aww, I appreciate it. You didn't have to, Coen. I'll pay you back." I smiled.

He took a sip of the other one, passing the tray to Nova to throw in the recycling behind her. He scoffed and raised a brow. "My treat. Let me spoil you." He looked directly into my eyes.

Let's just skip school at this point.

"Uhm, and why didn't I get a Shamrock Shake?" Dominic spoke up, his lips forming a playful pout. Coen interlocked our fingers with his freehand and brought my hand to his lips to place a warm kiss. "You're not my girlfriend. No relationship, no free food."

My cheeks warmed at the sound of that. Girlfriend. I was his, and he was mine. Kenji's lips lifted into a genuine smile before he reached forward and pinched my cheeks. "I'm happy for you two."

"Thanks, Ken." Coen absentmindedly twirled the keys in his hand. The silver caught my eye and I reached for his hand, pulling the keys to my face to get a better look.

Coen blushed under the attention. Those car keys weren't his. Nor his mom's. It wasn't a bulky black remote starter like mine, or anyone else's. It was old and silver. The galloping horse and Ford logo on either side of the key head.

The all black, 1967 Mustang.

"You did it." To an outsider, me crying over my boyfriend driving a car would look ridiculously stupid. But to everyone in this circle, my watering eyes were worth it. My watering eyes were a symbol of pride and adoration.

"I did." He spoke softly. Kissing the light up keychain attached to it. One side had shadowed palm trees against a sunset, and the other had a name written in white cursive letters.

Carson.

"Coen..." I couldn't put into words how emotional this made me. How proud and completely overwhelmed with happiness I felt. So, I brought him close and let my embrace do all the talking. His body relaxed in my arms, his head falling perfectly into the crevice of my neck.

He inhaled, a soft wetness from tears against my skin. "Aww Coen, we're so proud!" Nova jumped forward, wrapping her arms around the both of us. Coen pulled away from the hug, wiping his cheek. Dominic quickly pulled him into their own hug, a gentle tear on his own cheek.

"If we continue to do all this hugging, we're never going to make it to class." Coen chuckled. I interlaced our fingers, wiping away the remnant wetness on his cheeks. I brought his hand to my lips, and we all began our walk down the hallway.

"I'm going to the vending machine. Do you want anything?" He rose to his feet, his arms reaching behind his head in a stretch. His shirt lifted, showing the top of his jeans.

Ugh, I am obsessed with every small thing he does. I spaced out once I zoned in on his stomach. Soon, the snap of a finger cut off all my daydreaming.

"Hey, Space Cadet, did you want anything from the vending machine?" At the sight of his smirk, as annoying as it was for him to have the upper hand (since he would for sure relish in this moment), I couldn't help but smile.

"Space cadet?" I questioned. "Yes, staring off into space—well actually my abs." He smirked again and I felt the heat rise to my neck. I pointed in the direction of the vending machines. "Surprise me." He nodded and made his way over there.

"It's official. I will be without a prom date." Blair huffed, pushing back her ginger hair. She hadn't cut it since December and It was now past her shoulders, hovering around the bottom of her breast.

"Oh, hush your pity party. You have someone dying to take you." Kenji shushed her and took a bite out of a chocolate chip cookie. Blairs eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?" She glanced around the table, and we all rolled our eyes. "Alex." We all said in unison, and it became her turn to roll her eyes. "Are you sure? I mean—"

"Yes!" We all spoke in unison once again. This exact conversation had occurred three times now. I understood the need for extra reassurance, but it was getting to the point where I would call Alex and have him announce his promposal over the phone. Right here. Right now.

"Kenji, you can definitely find someone. You know how many girls wanna be your date?" Wes spoke. Kenji shrugged at his words. "I think I'm gonna go by myself. Obviously we're all going as a group, but I don't want a date. Call it self-love if you will. I don't want my prom night tarnished by awkward conversations with a girl I barely know."

"Especially since inviting a random girl back to the lake house for the nightcap might give her the wrong impression. And ditching her to come hang with us might also give the wrong impression." Dominic spoke, breaking a piece off the other end of Kenji's cookie.

"Lake house?" I questioned. Everyone turned to Dominic, awaiting his answer. "It's an old lake house my mother owns. We've been doing renovations on it and since I'm going to college she didn't want to move in and then be alone." Coen speaks as he comes back to the table. He hands me a cold iced tea can and sits down beside me.

"I told her she should rent it out after the renovations are done but she said that after college, she wants me to have it. Live there with the woman I love. Start a family there. Own a couple dogs. Maybe a piano." His eyes flit to mine and I can't help the all-encompassing warmth that envelopes the both of us. When thinking about his future, the person he wants to share a home with, the person he hopes to be in love with, he thinks of me.

His eyes are intense, and as I shift under his gaze its clear to me that he has zoned out, thinking about me and our future together. I snap my finger and giggle. "Space cadet, you there?" He laughs and pushes my hand back down before turning back to the rest of the group.

"We slept over the house last year after prom, but it was Dominic, his ex-girlfriend, Ella, and her two friends. My mom was on edge with us being alone, but since the rooms were under construction, we had to sleep in the living room so she knew we weren't going to do anything crazy."

"I mean, we could've had an orgy. Although four girls seems like a lot of work." Dominic adds, and Coen laughs. "Since the rooms are finished now, I doubt my mom will be okay with all of us going. Especially without a person to chaperone."

"Maybe we can ask over dinner." He turns to me, picking up the can and asking if he can have a sip. "We?" I question and wait for him to swallow before he speaks. "Yeah, my mom invited your parents and you to come over for dinner this weekend. My mom told me this morning, so your mom is probably gonna tell you later."

Right on cue, my phone dings with three messages.

Dinner. Coen's place on Saturday night. Don't stress, I won't harass him about his plans for my beloved daughter TOO harshly :)

- Mama Bear

Hey, I just saw a girl playing the piano with her boyfriend and she reminded me of you. I'm happy you and Coen are finally together! Love is precious, enjoy it.

- Joey

I hope school is going well. Two months until the semester is over, and I finally graduate...

- Joey

I laugh at my mom's message, shooting back a quick reply. I read Joeys, and although the first message makes me smile, the second makes me a little uneasy.

Joey's message bubble pops up and then goes away. This continues for the next minute, and I can't help but feel anxious at the incoming message. I text him back: What are you doing? Typing a dissertation? My humor a poor attempt to make me feel better.

Coen notices my worried demeanor and peeks down at my phone. "You okay baby?" He asks gently. "Yeah, just waiting for joey to finish typing. He's been typing and erasing for a minute now."

"I'm sure its fine. It's normal." He kisses my temple in an attempt to help me relax. I'm sure to an outsider like Coen, someone taking forever to type and get a message out was nothing to be anxious over. Wes, Kenji, Coen—I could keep the list going—all texted like this from time to time, but that was the problem. Joey doesn't. He's the faster texter I know. And all his messages are short bursts. Straightforward, minimal emojis. I know my brother. This isn't normal.

Finally, the screen lights up as the phone vibration rattles against the table. I quickly bring the phone to my face to unlock it and open the message.

I miss you kiddo. California isn't for me. I'm ready to come home lol.

- Joey

A wave of sadness washes over me. He called me kiddo, which was normal for us. But the "lol" used to soften the blow of his words changed the use of kiddo. He was sad. And with him on the other side of the country, there wasn't much I could do about it.

"This food is delicious, Helen. Thank you for inviting us over here, once again." My father spoke to Coen's mother as she stood to bring over the pitcher of lemonade. I nodded my head in agreement. Between his mom and the live-in maid his father had, no wonder Coen was a good cook.

"Your cooking is indeed delicious Mrs. McCallister."

Her eyebrows rose and then a smile fell onto her lips. "That reminds me. Since the divorce will be finalized in the upcoming months, you may now refer to me by my maiden name. Helen Lexington."

I smiled in appreciation. Coen's hand snaked across the table and intertwined with mine to ease his nerves before he spoke. He gazed around the table, his shoulders pulled back in a confident posture. "I fully understand your hesitation on whether or not our friend group should be able to sleepover the lake house on prom night, and I will respect whatever decision the three of you decide. After all, you three are well educated and more than capable to weigh pros and cons. I must say, however, that spending a night, such as our prom, with the people we hold most dear would mean the world to Serenity and I. No drinking, no drugs—"

"We've all agreed to allow it." My mother spoke. My father took a sip from his drink and glared at the two of us before following up with a statement of his own. "Only if we lock the bedroom doors and everyone has to sleep in the living room."

"Deal." Coen and I agree immediately and shoot a smile to each other. "That was an impressive speech, young man. You're very persuasive."

"My father didn't teach me much, but he definitely taught me how to talk myself out of trouble." The table erupted into small chuckles and Coen playfully squeezed my hand. "It's getting late. You ready to go Serenity?" My father wiped at his face, standing up from his seat.

I nodded and rose from the table, passing dishes to my mom and Coen's mom to place into the sink. The two of them went off to the kitchen to chat and hug goodbye as Coen rose from his seat and offered to walk me out.

I obliged, and he aided me in putting on my coat before we laced our fingers and made our way outside. "Tonight went very well. It's a good thing our moms are already friends, and your parents know me. Your father seems to be a very protective man."

"Oh I am. And I appreciate that you can see my assertiveness is only because I care so much." My father stepped outside, joining both of us under the night sky. He steps forward before placing a gentle hand on Coen's shoulder. "I care about you too. You've always been a good kid and seeing you grow into the young man before me has been a blessing. Welcome to the family, Coen."

Coen stepped forward, their arms embracing one another. It brought me insane amounts of joy. Coen hadn't had the greatest male influences in his life. Carson was the only one, and he barely counted considering he was only a year older. Seeing the pride in Coen's eyes at hearing my father call him a good kid was nearly enough to make the toughest cry. All he ever wanted was a good dad, and I'd share mine with him any day.

My phone vibrated against my stomach, and I pulled it out from my coat pocket, reading the contact. It was Joey. I quickly stepped away from everyone and brought it up to my ear.

I was instantly met with the sounds of loud house music and chatter. "Serenity! Hey guys, my sister's on the phone! Did I tell you guys she's going to Juilliard?!"

"Joey! I can't hear. Go to a different room or something."

"What?! A broom?!"

"A room!" It was clear he was drunk. Joey being drunk wasn't a surprise. I had been around him while intoxicated, especially his freshman year of college. He was going to a community college here at home for two years, and then doing his final two at UCLA. He lived at home, and on the weekends, he would go out to parties with his friends, text me to sneak him back into the house, and then fall asleep on the chair in my bedroom after gossiping and retelling the nights events for hours. The good old days.

The music died down and I heard the sound of a door close. "That's better. What's up bro? Having fun without me?" I teased. "I wouldn't call being drunk and sad fun..." He sniffled, followed by the sound of things shuffling around the room.

"Why are you sad?" I questioned. The line went silent for a while. "Joey?"

"I'm here..." He sniffled again. I was about to click the video chat button so I could see his face when he finally spoke again. "I hate it here. I hate college. I hate the people. I have one friend who I actually enjoy being around. I've gained weight, lost weight, I just—" He sniffled again.

My shoulders tensed. He was trying not to cry. His efforts soon failed as he quietly sobbed into the microphone. "I really miss home." His voice broke.

My eyes swelled with worry and pain. I took a deep breath. "Joey, you graduate in two months! All you have to do is hold off until May and then its all over. We're all flying out there to see you walk across that stage and be the first Miller kid to graduate college. I believe in you. You got this, okay? We'll all be here, waiting for you. No one's going anywhere."

His cries softened. "Hell, i'll even bring Dominic. You know he's had a crush on you since forever. Maybe he'll bring you some roses." He chuckled at my joke, sniffling before obnoxiously blowing his nose into a tissue. Right into the microphone so I could hear everything.

"God, this is embarrassing. I'm at a party, wasted, and crying to my little sister about how I can't wait to graduate and go home." He giggled.

"Well, what's actually embarrassing is being wasted before 10 pm." California was three hours behind in time, and here it was a mere 8:30. He shushed me loudly, his drunkenness evident once again. "We're pregaming. Hush."

I laughed at his slurred words as a knock at the door sounded off. "They're waiting for me. Gotta beat em in Just Dance." Joey and I shared a laugh as he sighed and took a breath. "You're the best sister anyone could ever ask for. You that, right?"

"And you're the best brother anyone could ask for."

"I love you, kiddo."

"I love you too."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 104 18
π•€π•–π•£π•–π•Ÿπ•šπ•₯π•ͺ: the absence of mental stress / anxiety ᢠⁱⁿᡈ ΚΈα΅’α΅˜Κ³ α΅–α΅‰α΅ƒαΆœα΅‰ | α΅–α΅˜α΅— ΚΈα΅’α΅˜Κ³ 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 ᡃᡗ 𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒆 α₯«α­‘ additional details inside . . ...
3.7K 401 56
"Why do you always avoid my questions?" "I'm not, it's just that there's nothing to say. Who would ever want to date someone they can't even talk to...
Counting Days By May

Mystery / Thriller

68 0 15
[Complete] Nina One day she showed up. The only baggage she carried with her was her father. Everyday, I passed her house on my way to school. She wa...
15.1M 591K 78
(Complete) After Seren is assaulted by someone in her friend group, she begins to fall deeper into the depths of her depression. No one seems to noti...