Gold Digger (Complete)

By SibilaStella

"I want you to be present at every beck and call of mine. And your contacts with men should be very limited" ... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18 Part I
Chapter 18 Part II
Epilogue

Chapter 17

4.2K 183 0
By SibilaStella

*'Once bitten and twice shy
I keep my distance but you still catch my eye'
---------------------------------------------------------

Berry went to the office as usual on Monday. For some reasons she was expecting a lot of changes since she had last attended office. But nothing had changed. Everyone was busy with their jobs. She had certainly expected Victor to behave differently but to her surprise, he was as casual as if she had been coming to the office regularly. He normally ordered his coffee, asked her to do his tasks. There was no hostility, no intent glances, nothing. They were working as if they were nothing but an employer and an employee.

She wasn't sure what annoyed her more. His constant humiliation or total ignorance. It was as if he was totally indifferent about everything that has happened between them. Maybe it's a normal routine for him. Lead someone on and then leave them as if nothing has happened between them.

It was a week later. Berry and the rest of the employees were gathered for an announcement. Victor had called everyone to gather there that afternoon. Standing amongst the swarm of people, Berry wondered what was the special announcement about when Susan tapped on her shoulder.

"So, what is it about?"

"How would I know that?", Berry shrugged.

"Well, you are his assistant. You are bound to know everything. Right?"

"This time I'm just as clueless as you. I don't have a clue of what this is all about", which was strange, Berry wondered. Victor always informs her before. So that she can prepare accordingly.

After some time she saw Victor and Mr. Wild walking in towards the small podium.

"What is our old boss doing here?", Susan raised Berry's own confusions.

Berry could only shake her head at that.

Mr. Wild came in front first and greeted everyone.

"Good afternoon everyone. I know what you all must be thinking. And no I'm not joining the company again. I'm enjoying my retirement a lot", he smiled, "but there are going to be some major changes that are going to happen in our company. Victor and I and the rest of the board members have decided that 'Wild Constructions' is going to be acquired by 'Asel Group',"

A commotion started amongst the employees. And there was a reason for it. Asel Group' is one of the biggest Construction company not only in USA but the world. It has been credited with constructing many high rise buildings in countries like Dubai, Hongkong, London. Infact 'Asel Group' have been their rival in many tender projects. Why were they doing this deal?

"I know what you all are thinking. But I assure you, you will not be affected by these changes. Our deal agreement is done. So no one will be losing the job. All that will change is that you are going to be working under them. So their rules and regulations will apply. But that will also mean that we will have better guidance as Asel is one of the oldest construction companies in America".

"But won't they be controlling our day to day functioning?", someone from the crowd asked.

"Things will change for sure. But your work won't change. You will still be required to do the same work", he assured.

"And how does Mr. Wild feels about getting dictated on how he should function from another authority", another person asked referring to Victor.

Mr. Wild and Victor looked at each other for some time. Then Mr. Wild replied, "Victor won't be working with 'Wild Constructions' anymore. He will leave the company as soon as the acquisition process is finished. He will be needed to acquaint your new boss to the company. But he will leave soon after".

Berry felt as if her heart stopped for a moment. He is leaving? But he came just a few months ago. She reprimanded herself. Why was she bothered by this? She should be happy. Right? But all she felt that her knees might give away any minute.

"I gave him the control of the company because he was my only heir. I disregarded the fact that he is an investment banker and has no prior experience in architecture firms. But after he made me understand I realised it makes more sense if the company will be in the hands of someone experienced".

Berry frowned. 'Wild Constructions' had been doing very good since Victor took over.In fact it was doing much better than Mr. Wild himself. Even without any prior experience, Victor was handling it like a professional. It all did not make any sense to her why were they thinking he is not suitable for the job.

"The acquisition process will be starting in a few days. You will be informed about the relevant details from time to time. Now I will not be taking more of your time. You all can go back to work".

Everyone started leaving thinking now their lives are going to change. And that too without their consent.

While coming back to their work, Susan said, "I can't believe Mr.Wild is going. But you know what? Serves him right. He can go on crunching numbers for the rest of his life. He does not deserve to see you everyday".

Berry could not reply to this.

"Hey Berry", Susan made her turn, "Are you sad that he is going?"

"No, I dont care", she replied, resuming to go her way.

"Its okay to feel sad Berry. You loved him. Love cannot be undone so easily. But you will get over it".

Berry wasn't sure about this but smiled anyway. " Hope he gets bored to death with his numbers", Susan joked.

#*#*#*

Victor came inside the office. Berry knew he was there but did not looked up from her work. She was hoping he would go inside his office soon so that she can work peacefully. Just his presence in the room was sending her heart into a frenzy.

"Berry"

She looked up from work. She had to.

"Yes Mr. Wild", she was surprised at her polished tone.

"There's a lot of work to do due to the acquisition. And I will need you to help me with it. And since we have three days before the new party comes in, we would need to do a lot of overtime. So, will you be able to work overtime for three days?"

Berry was not sure if she heard right. Victor asking her permission for working overtime? Since when did he started asking? He would only tell her and she had to do it. It was surprising to see this change.

"So? Will you do it?", he asked again. His face had no expression.

"I will do it sir. It's my job", she replied.

"Good we will start from tomorrow. Be here at eight". He then went inside his office.

It was like talking to a stranger in Victor's body. His manners, his tone, everything had changed. He looked cool and professional. Now it was sure that they were merely two strangers working together.

#*#*#*

Berry woke up early to get ready for office. She wasn't sure what to expect from Victor today. He has changed so suddenly, it was strange. But why was she complaining? It was better this way. Isn't it? He was not troubling her. He was treating her just as professionally he would treat any other employee. He was showing her most respect than before. Everything has changed for the better. He has become very nice towards her. But she still hated that artificial smile of his. Like a Japanese doll.

Getting inside the office early to arrange her desk, she noticed that Victor was standing in her office,on the phone, facing the window.

He is already there? Doesn't he ever go home? Berry thought.

When he realised that Berry was there he turned back and gestured her to go inside his office. So she took her notepad and went inside.

It was half past eleven in the morning. Victor was working like a machine. He was going on so fast someone could call him a madman. It has been more than three hours and they haven't stopped once for break. Berry wanted to use the washroom really bad but hell if she would ask him that. She was not going to stop working. It was obvious that he knew that they should take a small break now. But he wasn't even mentioning it. It was as if he was deliberately torturing her.

Very well. If he can work still, then so can she. She was not going to give him the satisfaction of thinking that he has succeeded in the little childish game he was playing. She was going to sit there and ensure it. But she was not going to give in.

It was ten minutes to twelve when Berry had given up. She cannot take it anymore. Her bladder will burst out now. She has to take a break.

"Mr. Victor"

He looked up from his work.

"Can I take a small break?"

"Do you want coffee? No need to get up. I will call someone to bring it here".

That brute. "No sir. I want to use the washroom", Berry replied turning red.

"Oh forgive me. I didn't realise we have been working for so long", he said glancing at his watch, "you can take your break Miss Bloom. And bring me coffee when you return", he said returning his eyes to the laptop.

Berry stalked out of the room thumping her feet on the ground. He was so annoying and snobbish. She can bet he was laughing inside at her expense.

When she reached the washroom, she got inside a stall and burst out in tears. She was so, so angry at him. He has no right to mock her, fake a smile at her. And he has absolutely no right to leave her.

It was six in the evening. Berry's back was aching now for being in this position for so long.

"Miss Bloom", Victor called her.

She looked up from her work.

"After this is finished, you can leave".

She nodded. She was indeed very tired. But although she was tired, she still didn't want to go home just yet. She wanted to savour every minute with him before he leaves.

She knows that she was pathetic. After everything he did to her, she should be glad. But her stupid heart wasn't listening to reasonings now.

She collected her things and started leaving. Her mind was somewhere else when she stumbled on her feet near the lift.

"Easy", someone said stabilising her.

She looked up to see a tall, handsome man wearing an expensive looking suit holding her. "You could have hurt yourself", he said as they both went inside the lift.

"I guess I wasn't looking", Berry replied meekly, tucking a hair strand behind her ear.

"You should look where you're going. It would be a shame to watch you fall down and sprain your leg. But I would bet if a beautiful girl like you slip, the whole building will be ready to pick you up", he smiled.

Berry blushed.

"So you work for Mr. Wild?", he asked.

"Yes, I'm his personal assistant"

He looked at her, frowning, "Oh, that's interesting".

#*#*#*

I apologize for not updating for a long time. But I was super duper busy. I promise it won't happen again.

*The above lines are from the song 'Last Christmas' by Wham!.

Do vote, comment and share my dear readers.

With love and appreciation,
Sibi

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

668K 22.2K 79
"Do you still have the same feelings for me?" He gently asks. I avert my gaze and look down at the floor. I want to scream at him and say no. I...
642 64 35
This story is about an arrogant CEO and an employee a girl who has a lot of dreams and a boy who is a master minded in business they both live their...
5.8K 288 29
"What else that you want explain ? Another lie ? Another hurting truth ?." She questioned me after she calmed down . I look at her , a little hurt w...
105K 5.7K 44
"dad, i just lost the best thing that has ever happened to me and you think thats a good thing? Frankie was everything i could ever ask for, she was...