Awakened

By HarperAshley

*Book One* Every bad boy wants a good girl that can be bad only for him... And every good girl wants a bad bo... More

Cast
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
What Comes Next?

Twelve

775 38 0
By HarperAshley

The sound of bells and chimes wake me up, and I reach under the pillow to silence my phone. The alarm seems much louder than usual, and the bright sunlight filling the room overwhelms my eyes. I pull the comforter over my head and groan loudly. A small knock at the bedroom door forces me to come out of hiding.

"Katherine, you okay in there?" I sit up, but instead of answering I just groan again. She slowly pushes open the door and smiles when she sees the state I am in. In her hands is a glass of orange juice, and nestled in between her arm and body is a bottle of Advil. The expression on her face shows both pity and amusement.

"Looks like last night was fun." she jokes. I think back to the events of the night before, and scrunch my face a little.

"I did have a good time, I think so anyways. I met some cool people. A girl named Sam asked me to hang out today." Shelly beams, and I know she is happy that I have made friends.

"Well that sure sounds like a good night. Why the uncertainty?" she asks. I think about her question, and am not sure how to answer it. Nothing bad happened, in fact it was the most fun I had ever had. I hadn't just stepped out of my comfort zone, I had demolished it. Katherine Wilder drank all night and even played in a beer pong tournament. No, not played.. dominated. I wasn't just a meek bookworm anymore. This sudden wave of empowerment rushed over me, and I shook my head.

"There isn't any uncertainty, I think I'm a little surprised by how easy it was for me to fit into that world." I glance over to the balcony door, and remember Beau's fingers brushing across my skin.

"You act like being a smart kid makes you an alien Katherine. I know being homeschooled made having a social life hard, but it's time you learned what it feels like to have a life. A real life." My aunt leans over to me and kisses my forehead. "I love you kid." she says.

"I love you too, Shelly." I reply.

"Whew, okay. Now that we've had our little moment, you need to get dressed. Who was it you said was coming to pick you up?" She says while getting up from the bed.

"Sam, I don't know much about her. We seem to click well together though." She heads for the door, and turns to face me once more before walking out.

"Have fun, and text me later. Let me know if you want to grab dinner tonight." I nod, and head for the closet. Deciding to stick to something comfortable, I pull on some black yoga pants. I glance over the new tops hanging on the rack and settle on a loose fitting crop top. My stomach grumbles a little and I hope Sam hasn't eaten yet so we can pick something up on the way. It's at that moment I realize I never checked my messages. I had just silenced the alarm right before Shelly walked in, so more than likely Sam had already texted. I turn over the phone and see 1 missed call from a number I believe must be Sam's. There are also two texts, both from a Florida area codes.

Hey girl, this is Sam. Text me when you're up. 

Okay, so who is this other text from? I quickly reply to Sam and click on the other message. 

Might not want to leave your phone where strangers can get to it. Sleep tight, Kat. 

My breath catches when I see the way this person addressed me. I think back to the night before when my phone sat on the kitchen counter. I don't know what he is getting out of toying with me this way, but I don't appreciate it. It feels like a sick game of cat and mouse, and it's obvious who the prey is here. He must get some type of pleasure from watching me squirm at his strange advances. I have seen the way he interacts with other women, and he seems to have no trouble getting what he wants out of them. Why on Earth he is choosing to single me out like this is beyond me. There is no possible way this guy is actually interested in someone like me, so I worry about what his intentions are. I click and hold down the blue chat bubble and the option to delete appears.. but I can't seem to do it. I close the app and slide the phone in my waistband.

"Shit." I mutter out loud. 

I decided to wait on the front porch for Sam. It was a beautiful day once again, and I just can't pass up enjoying the sunshine. The salty air has become one of my favorite smells, and I just genuinely love it here. I see a pale blue VW bug approaching the curb and I smile. This car fits her. She honks and yells for me to get in. As I am hopping in the passenger seat I catch a glimpse of Beau and Thomas loading a few things into an SUV. Both of them are shirtless, and both of them have incredible bodies. Their muscles are flexed from lifting the heavy items, and it's not an image I am going to get out of my mind any time soon. The only major difference between them at this distance is the ink that trails across Beau's body. I wonder what they are, and what meaning they hold to him. Thomas, on the other hand, is completely free of any tattoos. His bronzed skin glistens, and he just looks like the epitome of the all American boy.

"Yeah, it must be tough to live next door to all that eye candy." Sam jokes, and I blush immediately. She had clearly noticed me staring at the Dalton brothers. "Hey, no judgement here. I thoroughly enjoy the view. Those are some strong genes running through that family. It shouldn't be legal for them to be so damn hot." she adds. I giggle, and nod in agreement.

"How long have you known them?" I ask her.

"Oh God, forever really. My dad and Mr. Dalton were business partners. Before my parents got divorced they would hang out with the Dalton's regularly, which meant lots of play dates for us kids. I've always been closer with Thomas though, Beau doesn't really have many close friends. He's pretty secluded." I am intrigued by their history, and listen intently as she continues. "I mean we're cool and all, he just isn't that great with relationships. Like, any relationship whether it be family members or friends. He's always pushed everyone away, and Thomas is the complete opposite. He invites everyone in, and would do anything for anyone. It's a weird dynamic between those two." I want to press for more information, but I don't want Sam to get annoyed with my questions.

Almost as if she reads my mind, she begins to speak again. "Anyways, Thomas seems into you. How do you feel about that?" That is not where I expected this conversation to go.

"Oh, I um.. Well I really don't know. What makes you say that he is into me?" I ask quietly.

She laughs, "Isn't that obvious? I could tell from a mile away." I look down, and shrug.

"No, it isn't obvious to me at all. I have zero experience with boys, and the Dalton brothers are playing in a whole different league. I need T-ball, and they are batting in the major leagues." Sam laughs at my comparison, and shakes her head.

"When you say zero experience do you just mean, like.. that you are a virgin?" she asks me.

"Oh absolutely. In every way possible. I have never even been on a date, much less kissed someone. " The shock registers on her face, and I wish I could disappear. She must see the embarrassment on my face, and she switches tactics.

"Shit, no. I didn't mean it to seem like I thought that was weird or something. I think that is really cool. Seriously. Not many girls our age can say that. It just means you are waiting for something real, right?" I am so thankful for how understanding she is being about this, and I relax a little.

"If I am being honest, I really have never had the opportunity to date. I was homeschooled for most of my life, and my main focus was academics. I wanted the perfect GPA and the honors, plus my parents have always dreamed of the day I was accepted to medical school. I have never really had much of a social life. Last night was the first time I'd ever been to a party, and you guys didn't even consider that a real party. I am so out of my element here." I didn't mean to go into so much detail,  but I think finally having a friend to vent to about these things has lowered all of my walls. 

"Damn, girl. How about we just make this the best summer ever then? You have a lot of time to make up for. We can cram everything you need to experience into the next few months, then when you start college you will be a whole new woman! I mean, we could even create a 'Summer Bucket List' for you!" She smiles at me reassuringly, and I instantly know that I have found a true friend in Sam.

"I highly doubt you want to spend your entire summer trying to broaden my horizons!" I exclaim while laughing. We pull into the parking lot of what looks like an old Victorian age home.

"Are you kidding? That sounds like the best possible way I could spend my summer." Her smile is so genuine, and I can't deny that the thought of this is exciting.

"Okay, let's do it." I respond, and she claps her hands.

"This is going to be fun." she says mischievously. "In the meantime, welcome to Vellichor!" Sam gestures towards the home and I realize this is the bookstore.

"Vellichor?" I ask. She exits the car and walks towards the entrance. As she approaches the front door she turns to me and says, "I'll let Esther explain that one to you." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

151K 5.2K 20
HIS Book Series #4: Don't have to read books in order!! :) Victoria is a 27 year old curvy girl who is more of a homebody than her best friend and ro...
545K 15.3K 57
'"I'll show you what to do. Get on your knees," he demands, his voice low like a growl. I can only do what he requests, nodding submissively as I fol...
20.9K 1K 39
Riley Matthews has gone through a lot. From her mother passing away, to her father being an asshole, from her own emotional issues, and to even her b...
719K 22.4K 23
MATURE DO NOT READ IF YOUR UNDER 18 Dalia comes from a broken home, soft spoken and an academic, she's never been in the spot light. As a mystery st...