Demons (Damirae)

By Bats_1213

*Set after The Judas Contract* Life has gone back to some semblance of normalcy for the titans after the whol... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
SORRYYYYYYYYYY!!!
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
Chapter Eighty-Four
Chapter Eighty-Five
Chapter Eighty-Six
Chapter Eighty-Seven
Chapter Eighty-Eight
Chapter Eighty-Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety-One
Chapter Ninety-Two
Chapter Ninety-Three
Chapter Ninety-Four
Chapter Ninety-Five
Chapter Ninety-Six
Chapter Ninety-Seven
Chapter Ninety-Eight
Chapter Ninety-Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Sixty-Eight

2.3K 51 57
By Bats_1213

"Did you extract any useful information from the man, Ms Roth?", Alfred greeted as the demoness entered the Batcave (having stepped out of one of its side-rooms).

Pouring a cup of tea- balanced masterfully on a sliver tray- the butler kept his eyebrow raised, inviting the girl to answer. And answer she did. Alfred had heard of her uncanny success in interrogation rooms, this time appeared no different: the subject had wielded within no more than a few moments, spilling 'all the secrets of the Council's dealings than could have been hoped for' to put it in her terms. Satisfied that the man (a 'face-shifter' if Alfred heard her correctly) would be securely stowed away in the side-room, Raven sat on the stairs that the butler stood besides, accepting the cup and saucer with a gracious smile and courteous 'thank you'.

This was a peculiar young lady to say in the least.

Alfred had heard a great many rambling rants from Mr Wayne in recent days about the Joker evading capture, Master Jason still unfound, Master Damian's perplexing behaviour, and the confusion surrounding this here demoness. Being truly honest to himself, the butler also found himself curious about the young girl. For one so young, she held about her an air of wisdom, and on more than a few occasions, he'd witnessed her calm down riled residents of the manor (predominantly Master Damian) end conflicts and give validated opinions on consequential matters. Moreover, the manner in which she conducted herself was one of regality and composure, not that typically worn by sixteen year old girls.

That didn't even touch on her heritage or abilities; Alfred ought not to dwell in that, her secrets were hers to keep and there was no reason for him to pry.

Though there was something he was interested in knowing.

"Ms Roth- begging your pardon- Raven", he corrected, having just been told once more that 'please sir, call me Raven. I mean no disrespect to your manners, but the only other instances where I was called Ms Roth was alongside 'your majesty' and the likes. That was back in Hell, Trigon's realm. And I'd much rather forget that' to which Alfred could only thank her honesty and promise to do just that, "I wonder if I might inquire as to how you find Master Damian."

A crease appeared between her eyebrows (though it was quick to disappear, like she didn't wish to tell her emotions so bluntly) as she echoed, "How I find Damian....?"

"Indeed. What do you think of him?", Alfred set down the tea tray by the Batcomputer, turning his attention to the girl sitting on the stairs. "As I understand it, you have many abilities, one of which is empathy. As such, your understanding an perception of people must be more insightful."

Raven tilted her head, "Well, I suppose so. But perceiving people differently is different from perceiving Damian differently."

Alfred chuckled, "Quite so, quite so."

The demoness took a sip of tea, the warmth trickling down her chest as she released a soft sigh of thoughtfulness, "Damian is certainly anomaly. Then again, no one raised under his circumstances would not be.", with barely a chink she set the cup and saucer besides her. "But he isn't a bad person- he could be, but he isn't. A little rough around the edges but not bad. His trust issues are understandable, as are his issues in anger management (though he has been improving a lot, I'd say). Ultimately, Damian is....", the crease returned, "...I don't know if there's a word for what he is but....his soul is one of the most damaged and bloodstained yet still shockingly kind and gentle at its core.", she looked up at the elderly gentleman. "I have a lot of respect for him and would hope the feeling's mutual."

Alfred considered her response, withholding the urge to lift a sly brow at the wandering tone of her voice.

"Why do you ask?"

At this, Mr Pennyworth recognised that it was time to further the sobriety of the mood. Making the firm decision now to welcome this girl and be as open as could be, Alfred decreased the formality stringing both of them up. Loosening the strings, he walked around the banister and sat on the same stair as the demoness. It seemed that his entire body sunk, for once letting the years reach visibility as his clothes were shown to truly hang off his frame. That image of agelessness shed for the briefest of moments in the lines of his face and the weariness in his bones.

Alfred Pennyworth regained his composure in an instant, posture straightening and hands folding neatly in his lap as he explained, "Master Damian has always been a difficult child, not at all like the rest- nor even Master Jason. I believe it is quite safe to say that his mannerisms haven't left him with an entourage of friends.", he smiled. "Amongst the few closest to him, you have emerged, Ms Ro-Raven. I should like to think that the young sir has people around him that he can rely on, Jon Kent certainly,", the image of the bubbly super came to mind, taunting Damian to no end, "but more so that he has some one to genuinely speak to.", at this, he turned to her in earnest. "Someone nonjudgmental and able to understand him- listening to him when he won't listen to others. You are most wonderfully appearing to be that person, my dear, and it brings rest to an old man's heart. Lord knows I've worried enough about that boy."

***

No more than a shadow, she came upon them. A dark entity visible only from the corner of your eye, the sort of thing that people brushed away because the truth was a painful, deadly truth. Seeing one of her kind meant impending doom: a poison dart to the neck and a frothy mouth in an instant; the flash of a blade and no more; a hand around the neck, the disgusting crack, and eternal nothingness; and that didn't cover nearly all of the ways an assassin could kill a person. And luckily for the assembled group, this one was permanently off duty and would be for the rest of her life. An assassin no more, but a vigilante still. Trained by no less than the best, conditioned from childbirth (though she'd lost the unique abilities in body-language reading she'd once possessed) and swayed to the path of good, this woman would not be trifled with.

"Who...wha...?", one of the men stuttered, shoving his chair back and toppling it over in the process. The women previously hung over his stout body were flung to the side of cast upon the floor alongside the cards he'd discarded in his hurry. The four other men priorly engaged in a game of poker were in similar situations, all in the process of withdrawing handguns and/or knifes from their pockets (in varying degrees of 'overcompensating for something'). As she had witnessed a million times before, the leopard-print and latex ladies scampered out of the door, which had been courteously left open for them.

"Don't.", she said.

The cowl covered her body entirely, masking her in the deepest black and the darkest doom, accentuating the authority of her command. The Orphan was one of few words and drastic actions.

"Ya one of the Bat lot- ya won't do shit!"

Ooh, brace words.

Brace words he'd most likely never say again as the Orphan's arm struck with such speed it might not have moved at all. He fell back, the gun hitting the floor as red seeped on to the crisp white shirt of his, clutching his mouth to stop the blood from falling (to no avail, it drip-dropped through his fingers) either that or it just hurt a fuck ton. Likely the latter- the bloke had just had his teeth kicked in.

Cassandra was evidently not in the best of moods.

Neither were the others present, each sending violent curses and multiple bullets in her direction. How hostile of them, all she needed was information, a shame really. The ballerina that she was, Cass danced past each shot, a credit to her many trainers (Batman included). Satisfied that the bullets had been enough wasted- and fed up of the racket they were making- the Orphan stood tall and made a simple request.

"Alexander Fletcher Sumpter. Give me his location."

"We ain't givin' ya-"

Drug dealer no.1 was shut up by the man besides him (coincidentally dubbed 'drug dealer no.2') shouting, "What do you want him for?"

Beneath the cowl, Cassandra's eyes narrowed as she tilted her head, "An object was stolen from a client. All traces lead to him."

They would tell her one way or another but this way, these gentlemen were more likely to comply and she wouldn't have to bust in any more faces. In this manner, they would see it as 'just business', that's simply how these people worked. Callous, but true: one man's going ons were his to deal with, if he shot himself in the foot no one was going to donate a limb.

***

Damian found the door awaiting him, unlocked. Slipping behind it, he was met by the sight of Raven, donning her pyjama trousers and jumper, legs folded and hovering above the ground. When the door creaked and the floorboards dared to groan under his feet, her eyes flashed open, scarlet and aflame, cooling to sooth amethyst caverns in the space of a second.

"How was it?", Raven asked drifting on to her bed, sitting with her legs hanging over the side.

Closing the door and allowing Raven the effort of locking the door and a awakening the regular enchantments, Damian dug his hands in to his pockets, enjoying being out of his outside-clothes and simply snug in loose joggers and a hoodie. Informal clothing was something that modern fashion had nailed in terms of comfort. Sitting besides the demoness, Damian depicted a scene Raven never thought she'd hear: Batman sitting with Robin in the Blue Dragon amidst the darkest of Dark creatures, socialising with some of the best Dark warriors and elites. Not simply socialising, but getting along with. Certainly not socialising (come to think of it) as socialising implies a curtness of tone and formalities and overbearing manners and pleasantries and faux laughs and silent judgement- not socialising for sure.

"I've never witnessed Lahra so open to question,", Damian's bewilderment amused Raven, "in all honesty, I was certain that she would declare war at his being there. Father asked a few questions here and there but was content with just listening to Jackson telling his tales of stupidity and us being...us...", he frowned. "It was strange..."

"In a good way?"

Damian's eyes widened as he enthused, "Definitely! Father seemed to be almost enjoying himself!-it was unprecedented! Then again, Tyrone and Jackson are naturally charismatic...in their own very, very separate ways", that drew a laugh from Raven, "and Lahra's well...Lahra...."

"All in all a good experience?"

"A weird experience,", Damian snorted, "but I suppose so. It could have gone worse."

That facade hid nothing from Raven as she nudged Damian, teasing, "Aw, you can't hide it from me Damian, I know you're happy. No, no don't try and tell me you're not,", she laughed over his stuttering indignation,"you're practically giddy with happiness! Tell me it did not go smashingly. Go on, try. Ha! Exactly, you can't! Because it was a success! And you're so obviously-hmmmf!"

Her gloating was stifled by Damian's lips meeting hers and he pulled her closer, sending her heart rate flying at the suddenness. The kiss didn't last long as he broke off, lingering with a few millimetres parting their lips. Both willed calamity to their minds as Damian swallowed shock at his impulsiveness.

"We both know I'm far too proud to admit that much."

"Well look at you, all self-reflective and wise." , Raven retorted, muttering in the same dramatic whisper that caused them to break out in to chuckles a moment later. The tension having fled through their relieving laughter, Raven said, "Now, swiftly moving on. Don't you want to hear my 'meanwhile' story?"

Damian moved his hand like he was wafting air- but in one stroke, the boy didn't just wave his hand about stupidly-, "By all means."

A.N:

Hello my darlings!

Bats is here once again and let me just say, I am LOVING the Easter holiday! Two and a half weeks of bloody bliss! I'm loving life right now!

But aaaaaaanyway, there's a lot going on in the story so far, and we will get back to school at Gotham Academy (where I promise there will be some more of our darling Maps, I know that in the comics the communication between her and Robin was a little unconventional but I though it was quite sweet and interesting. She'll be popping up but not trying to track down any vigilantes or figure out any mysteries. It'll be good though, I promise!😉).

Also, anybody have speculations about Donna? I know she's damn far from comics-Donna but let me tell you this, the character of comics-Donna will come (I've been planning how for a long time now) but I'll say no more.

You've a lot to look forward to and we've still a long long long way to go'

Thank you!

-Bats :3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.4K 3.3K 44
When Prince Zuko fails to capture the avatar but was able to return home when informing the Fire Lord. His uncle, General Iroh, had arranged an event...
10.2K 348 11
| uchiha sasuke x oc AU " it has been a while, hasn't it?" 2021.01.21 > #4 sasukexoc
21.6K 657 21
Distractions have always gotten the best of Marinette. One day a distraction leads to her plummeting to her death off of a building, but luckily a ce...
243K 6K 52
โŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏ เชœโ€โžด ๐…๐„๐„๐‹๐’ ๐‹๐ˆ๐Š๐„ .แŸ โ› & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. โœ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...