Entice Me

By MelToye

Miranda is the top recruitment consultant for Entice Consultancy, working long hours to achieve great results... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Fifteen

22 1 0
By MelToye

Grace went back to work and found out that Sally, the coward had left an email to say she had in fact resigned. Grace was a little disappointed that she could not fire Sally herself, but was thankful she did not have to see her again. Life could go back to normal. Except life didn’t feel normal, it felt lonely. Grace had so much fun on her holiday but now coming home, she felt she was missing something in her life. At work when she got a spare moment, she found herself day dreaming about meeting a new man. The thought of never having to feel alone ever again, provided Grace with comfort. To be able to cherish moments together and have someone to say goodbye to in the morning, when leaving for work would be a dream come true. 

Saturday morning Grace woke up and decided if she couldn’t find a man she would buy a dog. Grace visited the local dog shelter. There were so many beautiful dogs that didn’t have a home. Grace walked past each one and wanted to take all of them home. Immediately she fell in love with a hairy faced dog that looked back at her, with big pleading eyes. He was bigger than she thought she would get. He was a Saint Bernard and reminded her of the movie Beethoven. His name, Shaggy, suited him perfectly.

After Grace purchased all the accessories for her beloved new family member they went home. She opened the door and Shaggy ran through the house and found the cosiest place to sit, which was on the lounge. “Looks like I shouldn’t have bought you a doggy bed after all,” Grace chuckled to herself. After a few hours of exploring, Shaggy seemed right at home. They sat on the lounge together and watched TV. Shaggy rested his head on Grace’s lap and fell asleep.

#

Ray was excited to have Louise back from holidays. Even to the point where he no longer worked on weekends. He just wanted to be with her. Ray admitted how lonely he was without her. Louise was grateful that she was loved.

After her trip Louise knew one thing was for sure, she wanted to help others. Louise signed up to volunteer at the local children’s hospital one day a week. She had always wanted to volunteer for a charity, but never had the time. Although Ray was ten years older than her, she still fantasised about having children. Louise was 42 years old. At this late stage of life it seemed it would take a miracle to be pregnant. She had always dreamed of having children and now time was ticking fast.

Louise had achieved so much and now all she wanted to do was have time to smell the roses. She just wanted to live life. She felt no situation could be too difficult or complex. Her fears of life had minimised.

Louise could see ahead; a bright light, the bright light of life. She promised herself to live and do everything in her power to bring happiness to herself and others. Louise whispered these vows to the listening trees and watchful birds. 

“Louise, Louise.” She turned around to find Ray who was running towards her, with an enormous smile on his face. “Didn’t I say you can’t leave me again?” he said through every puff of breath.

“I wasn’t far away; I was just talking to the trees.”

“I can see that. Am I not as exciting?” He pulled Louise close to him and kissed her passionately then drew her back and searched her face. “I came out to see your beautiful face.”

“Or so nothing important then,” Louise mused. 

Ray rolled his eyes, “Actually we have a guest. She is sitting in our lounge room and said she met you in Spain.” Louise followed Ray into the lounge room. As Louise entered she froze. “Well isn’t this a scene. I have never heard Louise so quiet before,” Ray chuckled. Louise whispered to Ray to leave the room. He darted a curious look at her as he walked out.

“Sally the nerve you have for coming here. I am going to have to ask you to leave,” Louise said sternly.

“Louise, please listen to me. I did not come here to upset you, or cause any trouble. I just came to apologise,” Sally pleaded.

“Apologise. I am not the one you need to say sorry to, you know that,” Louise hissed.

“I am sorry for coming across as using you and Grace to find Miranda. I am hoping to contact Miranda when she gets back. Louise when I was over there with you and Grace, I did forget about Miranda and really enjoyed hanging out with the both of you.”

Louise was getting more fired up by the second. “Sally, do not treat me as a fool, tell me why you are really here?”

Sally looked down at her manicured nails. “Louise, I am being honest. I am asking for forgiveness. I do not know how I became so nasty. Or why I bought Miranda’s career down. I guess I was jealous. Nobody saw my abilities, my strengths. I was just a personal assistant, I was worthless. I wanted to prove I was something better, I wanted to be better than Miranda.”

“At the expense of Miranda’s life, she nearly ended up in jail because of you,” Louise pointed out heatedly.

“I never meant for this to get so out of control,” Sally whispered as her eyes pleaded for forgiveness.

“You have fully disgraced Miranda. She can never work in this city again, her reputation is tarnished.”

“I am hoping to change that.”

“And how do you propose to turn things back to normal? By jumping back in a time machine? It’s too late Sally.”

“I am going to tell everyone the truth,” Sally said sincerely.

“I think you should leave now,” Louise finally said.

Sally stood up and looked at Louise, she searched her face for some sought of forgiveness. When Louise did not give her that satisfaction, Sally walked out. Louise stood rigid as she stared at the now empty lounge. Ray walked in and cuddled her from behind and realised Louise was shaking. He held her for a few moments. Louise crouched to the ground and cried, while Ray rocked her back and forth like he was holding a baby, to calm her down.

#

At home Shaggy had settled in nicely and was a pleasure to have around. When Grace took him for a walk everyone would walk up to say hello and give Shaggy a pat. He would respond with a big sloppy kiss. There were times though, when Grace could have got very angry. Like the time she came home from the Supermarket to find slobbered toilet paper glued to the floors. And the time when Grace bought a plant to add to the garden collection and walked outside to catch Shaggy death shaking the plant. Grace yelled at him to drop it, but it was too late. All that was left, was a half chewed stem with one leaf covered in drool. Shaggy looked up at Grace with those big innocent eyes and not being able to resist, Grace gave him a cuddle. 

His destructiveness was becoming worse. Grace came home to find freshly dug holes in the backyard. Shaggy was digging a pool by the looks of things, but instead of digging near the fence, he dug in the middle of the yard. It was obviously time to go shopping, dog shopping. Grace bought one of every kind of dog toy; dog treats even a teddy bear to cuddle. She also purchased two huge bags of soil to refill the holes and then dragged the soil twenty metres from the store to her car. After her big dog shop, she needed a refreshing drink. Grace walked to a nearby café and ordered a mango frappe. As she waited she had a feeling that something was about to happen.

Time passed, the frappe came. Grace was beginning to doubt her earlier intuition. She stood up and walked over to a magazine stand to get something to read. A man walked past Grace, and he was hot. Grace could not see a default on him. As Grace intensely watched him, she noticed him walk over to her table. He sat down and even moved her drink. Grace quickly walked over, “Excuse me,” she said.

The good looking man looked up, “I would like a vanilla latte, thank you,” he said placing a ten dollar note in Grace’s hand. Grace laughed out loud.

“What’s so funny?” he asked and looked around and noticed people were staring as they watched the scene play out.

“I am not a waiter and you are sitting at my table. This is my drink and that is my hand bag on the seat,” Grace said as she pointed to each object like she was a game host, who showcased each prize to be won.

For a second he thought it over and then his expression said it all, he was completely and utterly embarrassed, “Oh, I am so sorry.” He started to leave.

Grace stepped in. “Why don’t you join me?” she said in a cool tone and took a seat.

“Okay,” he said relieved. They fell silent. How could this be any more awkward? “So is someone here with you?” he asked.

“No I am free as a bird.” Was she not desperate enough? Grace blushed as the realisation set in. “I have not seen you around here before, are you new to the area?” Grace asked.

“I used to live here and I met this crazy woman, who was obsessed. I needed to get away and was offered a great job in Sydney. But the catch was, I wasn’t able to take my dog with me. It was horrible; I came back because I missed him terribly.”

“Was he staying with a friend?”

“No. See I thought this career change was going to be permanent and my dog was wonderful but quite large, nobody wanted to mind him for me.”

“Oh that is terrible, so what did you do?” Grace asked intrigued.

“I put him in the dog shelter. They said they would find a lovely home for him.”

“So have you been there yet?”

“No, I am on my way there next.”

“I just bought a dog from the dog shelter, he is adorable. Maybe when you get your dog back we can meet for play dates.”

“I would like that,” his smile radiated, “Well I should be going.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t catch your name.”

“Oh it’s Isaac and yours?”

“Grace.”

“A pleasure to meet you Grace. I will make sure when I see a drink on the table to sit there, in hope it will be you,” he said and smiled. Grace smiled; he was good looking and sweet.

Grace went back home to Shaggy. He was so happy to see her. He enjoyed the toys as well, especially the teddy bear, as he began humping the teddy bear with no shame. Grace chuckled to herself and prepared a fresh salad sandwich. She sat down at her outdoor table to enjoy the peacefulness. 

 ***

If you enjoyed reading this chapter, please vote it! Thank you.

Copyright 2012 by Melanie Toye  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.2K 1.3K 87
A tough-love story, built by insecurities, gets stronger and more passionate in the midst of the ocean. Two different hearts, two different lives, b...
159K 5.8K 42
Highest Ranking #512 in Romance The song itself held so much meaning to our situation, so I committed it to memory, remembering each step and exactly...
663 19 120
What is it about life that makes it so challenging? We may not always have what we want, and the things we do have are either unappreciated or we fa...
1.5K 878 18
After a traumatic breakup, Sapphire Rose and her best friend Leona decides to go on a vacation trip to Paris to help her heal, but that's suddenly in...