I'm Mariana Gilbert. (TVD fan...

By BrookeGarton

Mariana Gilbert is the older twin sister of Elena by 5 minutes . For years, they lived a pretty ordinary life... More

Welcome Home
Revealing
Lost
Halloween Bashes & Smashes
Mistaken
History Repeating
Turning Point
Bloodlines
Confidentcial
Fools Gold
Patient Secrets
Let The Right One In
Under Control
Miss Mystic Falls
Matters of Blood
Isobel
Founder's Day
Carnival Rides
Love Means Sacrifice
Past vs. Present
Throw Me A Ball
Personal Issues
Last Chances
Give Me Love
Save Me A Dance
Klaus
From Where I Lay
The Birthday
Affairs Are All the Fun
What I Reckoned
Teen Spirit My Ass
Probablities
Deal Or No Deal
Awaken
Kill Me. Thrill Me.
The Death of One
Heart of Darkness
Before I Go
Stay Awhile
Strength In Pain
Buzz Kill
Kill or Be Killed
Purity
Sire Bonds
Catch and Release
Call of the Wild
Stay Awhile
Author's Note!!! PLEASE READ

Bite Me

30.6K 621 113
By BrookeGarton

"I'm not saying don't date the guy, I'm just saying to take it slow." Bonnie informed cautiously, eyeing Elena while we got out of her car.

"You were the one who said to go for it." Elena countered, furrowing her eyebrows at Bonnie in confusion.

"Now, I'm saying to take it slow." Bonnie protested with a nod and I rose my eyebrow.

"Then what's the about-face?" I asked, shaking my head at her as we walked towards the school.

"It's not an about-face." Bonnie answered with a shrug but I looked at her skeptically, making her sigh. "She's single for the first time in her entire high school career, it's the perfect time to play the field." She added and Elena chuckled, scoffing lightly.

"Oh, because I'm so that girl." Elena stated as she eyed Bonnie who rolled her eyes in amusement. "Seriously, what are you not saying?" El asked and I watched Bonnie shrug it off.

"It's stupid." She replied in defeat, looking away to avoid the question and I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Bonnie." I stated in annoyance and grabbed her shoulder, stopping her. "Spit it out." I added, tilting my head while Elena crossed her arms over her chest.

"I accidentally touched Stefan's hand the other night—And I got a really bad feeling." Bonnie answered in defeat.

"Is that it?" Elena asked, making Bonnie scoff and turn, about to walk away but I pulled her back.

"Bonnie." I said sternly and she looked at Elena with concern in her eyes.

"It was bad-bad." Bonnie pointed out in annoyance.

"Is this the whole witch-mojo thing again?" I asked, tilting my head while Bonnie shook hers.

"You know what, I'm just concerned. This is me being concerned about my best friend's new boyfriend." Bonnie pointed out and Elena stepped forwards and put her hands on Bonnie's shoulders.

"And I love you for it, I do—But I feel good." Elena stated, shaking her head in reassurance. "It's been a hard year, and I'm starting to feel like things are getting back to normal again." She added with a shrug.

"And Stefan is a big part of that?" I asked sarcastically, watching her roll her eyes back at me in some amusement.
~~

"World war II, ended in—Miss Juan?" Tanner asked as he rose a stern eyebrow down at the student before she shrugged. I ignoringly drew circles in my notebook, waiting for this class to be over with already. "1945." Tanner answered himself and looked around the class skeptically.

"Psst." Elena whispered as she looked at Stefan who sat a row away from us. "FYI, our team sucks.. They could really use you." She pointed out with a flirtatious smirk. I looked up from my notebook and at Stefan curiously.

"You're trying out for the football team?" I asked, making Stefan shrug back.

"Pearl Harbor?" Tanner asked the class again from over our conversation and I rose my eyebrow at Stefan.

"Can't. I'm a loner." Stefan whispered back at us jokingly and I chuckled a bit.

"Miss Gilbert." Tanner stated loudly and I rose my eyebrow before Elena and I both turned our gazes to to him.

"Which one?" I asked bluntly, tilting my head up at him in boredom as I sat back in my chair carelessly.

"Well, since you had a mouthful to say the other day.. You. Pearl Harbor." Tanner answered in a petty tone and I rolled my eyes.

"Uh—" I started, about to say something more mouthy but Stefan cut me off.

"December 7th, 1941." Stefan answered in a matter of fact tone and I rose my eyebrow, looking at him.

"Thank you, Miss Gilbert." Tanner said in amusement and the class laughed while Stefan smiled innocently.

"Anytime." Stefan reassured sarcastically, nodding back at Tanner who rose an eyebrow.

"Very well.. The Fall of the Berlin Wall." Tanner stated again, looking around the class for his next victim.

"1989." Stefan answered quickly and Tanner looked back at him, obviously taken aback. "I'm good with dates, sir." He admitted, tilting his head and the class rose their eyebrows at him.

"Are you? How good?" Tanner countered looking around the classroom, clearly challenging Stefan for show. "Keep it to the year." He added with narrowed eyes. "Civil rights act." He stated and Stefan smirked.

"1964." Stefan replied unfazed and I slowly folded my arms over my chest.

"John F. Kennedy assassination." Tanner asked again, obviously getting riled up by it.

"1963." Stefan answered quicker, making Tanner clench his jaw.

"Martin Luther King." Tanner snapped, slowly walking towards Stefan's desk.

"'68." Stefan answered again correctly and I smirked at him as I felt the tension rise.

"Lincoln." Tanner asked again, narrowing his eyes menacingly.

"1865." Stefan countered, not looking away from Tanner as the class became silent and watched the scene in awe.

"Roe Vs. Wade." Tanner advanced, getting irritated now as Stefan and him went head to head.

"1973." Stefan answered unchallenged, not even slightly phased by him.

"Brown Vs. Board." Tanner asked again, stopping at Stefan's desk as he now stared down at him.

"1954." Stefan answered again, looking up at Tanner emotionlessly.

"The battle of Gettysburg." Tanner fired off, tilting his head at Stefan.

"1863." Stefan replied with a nod and I laughed and shook my head at him in awe.

"Korean war." Tanner stated, smirking down at Stefan, clearly wanting this one to be a win.

"1950 to 1953." Stefan countered with a shrug and Tanner slammed his hand down on Stefan's desk, making everyone in the class jump.. All but Stefan.

"Ha! It ended in '52." Tanner breathed loudly, smiling to himself. I rose my eyebrow at the man child while Stefan furrowed his.

"Uh, actually, Sir.. It was '53." Stefan corrected with a stern nod while Tanner was walking back to his desk proudly, only to quickly turn back to Stefan and clench his jaw.

"Somebody look it up." Tanner ordered, snapping a finger as he looked over the class in annoyance. The classroom did as told, googling it on their phones or looking it up in the history notebook.

"It was 19...53." Someone pointed out in amusement and the whole class murmured excitedly before they all erupted into applause. Stefan nodded proudly towards everyone while Tanner scoffed back at him in defeat before the bell rang. I grabbed my books and scattered them into my arms as Stefan, Elena and I walked out of class.

"How did you know all of that?" I asked him, shaking my head in astonishment.

"Years and years of crossword puzzles. It's a loner thing." Stefan replied sarcastically.

-Time Skip-

I stretched on the football field's sidelines and heard Tyler groan in frustration from the field as Tommy caught the ball, making Tanner blow the whistle in anger. "Dammit." Tyler sighed in defeat, shaking his head and looking down.

"Nice job, nice job!" Matt yelled out in encouragement towards his other teammates.

"Mr. Lockwood, is there anything that you're good at? 'Cause it isn't history, and it sure as hell isn't defending the ball!" Tanner yelled angrily at Tyler and I sighed, shaking my head at how harsh he was being.

"Yes, coach." Tyler answered emotionlessly. I watched his eyes wander around the field before falling on mine. I saw the look of disappointment on his face and I quickly gave him a reassuring smile before looking away.

"Now do it again!" Tanner yelled again in annoyance. I grabbed my water bottle and drank from it while Elena talked to Stefan further down the sidelines. She smiled at him before walking over to the rest of the girls who were waiting to start practice.

"Oh, my god! You're here!" Bonnie stated in excitement as she got up from the ground and hugged Elena. I chuckled a bit and smiled at them before they came over to me.

"Yup. I can't be a sad girl forever. The only way to get things back to the way they were, are to do things that were." Elena replied with a soft sigh. I nodded in agreement as I started stretching my legs in front of me. "Oh, and you're coming to dinner tonight." She added with a nod towards Bonnie who rose an eyebrow.

"I am?" Bonnie asked with a smile and Elena nodded, shifting into the splits.

"Mm-hmm. You, me, Mariana and Stefan." Elena answered and I watched as Bonnie's face fell, making me chuckle a bit. "You have to give him a chance." Elena sighed in defeat but Bonnie shook her head.

"But tonight's no good." She countered in a whiny voice and I rolled my eyes. "Have you seen Caroline? I texted her like twenty times." She added, looking down at her phone and Elena smiled mischievously.

"No changing the subject, Bonnie Bennett. You're going to be there." Elena stated sternly and Bonnie narrowed her eyes and looked at me for help but I quickly looked away.

"Fine, I'll go." Bonnie stated in defeat and I looked at her with a wide, yet fake smile. Elena.. cooking?

"Good." Elena agreed, stretching out her torso and I looked at her nervously.

"Is it mandatory for me to be there? I mean, really?" I asked with a small laugh and watched Elena narrow her eyes in response, making Bonnie laugh.

"Seriously, where is Caroline?" Bonnie asked again in concern and I looked at the time to see that practice was supposed to start fifteen minutes ago.

"I don't know. It's not like her." Elena agreed with a sigh as she sat up and rested her elbows on her knees.

"I'll try her again." Bonnie sighed, grabbing her phone while I grabbed my water bottle again. Bonnie dialed in Caroline's number and put her phone to her ear as loud rock music came into mine. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked past Bonnie and at the blue 1969 Chevy Camaro that rolled up across from us.

"Uh.." I started, completely taken aback as I tilted my head and watched the Camaro come to a stop in front of us.

"Oh, my god.." Bonnie stated in amusement and I rose my eyebrow at her. "That must be the mystery guy from The Grill." She pointed out and I sighed, standing up as did Bonnie and Elena.

"That's not a mystery guy." I informed and exchanged a look with Elena who folded her arms over her chest.

"That's Damon Salvatore." Elena agreed, looking at Bonnie uneasily before we both watched as Caroline who sat in the passenger side of the car, lean over and kiss Damon goodbye.

"Salvatore? As in Stefan?" Bonnie asked in some confusion and concern before Caroline got out of the car, letting a smirk play on her face.

"I got the other brother. Hope you don't mind." Caroline stated with a smile as she walked past Bonnie, Elena and I, and stood in front of the rest of the cheerleaders. "Sorry I was late, girls. I, Uh—was busy." She pointed out, making me roll my eyes. I looked back at the Camaro to meet Damon's gaze as he stared at me. I felt my eyebrows furrow and watched him smirk before quickly driving away. "Let's start with a double pike, herkey hurdler." Care stated loudly, looking at all of us before I turned my attention back to her, heaving a heavy sigh.
~~~

I walked down the stairs and into the hall toward the kitchen where Elena and Bonnie were starting to get things together for dinner. "Come on, that commercial is on a constant loop." Elena pointed out as she handed a bowl to Bonnie while supplies were being set out on top of the kitchen island.

"Fine, well—how 'bout this? Today I'm obsessed with numbers." Bonnie stated, meeting my gaze once I came into view. I leant against the doorway of the kitchen, looking between the two in amusement. "I keep seeing 8, 14 and 22. How weird is that?" She asked, shaking her head in defeat.

"Maybe we should play the lottery." I stated jokingly and walked into the kitchen fully. Bonnie rolled her eyes and looked away while Elena chuckled in amusement.

"Have you talked to your Grams?" Elena asked curiously as the two of them put salads and pastas from a few containers, into the bowls they had set out.

"She's just going to say it's because I'm a witch. I don't wanna be a witch—Do you want to be a witch?" Bonnie asked with furrowed brows as she looked between at Elena and I.

"I don't wanna be a witch." Elena answered in agreement and I rolled my eyes at them.

"You know, putting it in a nice bowl isn't fooling anybody." I pointed out, changing the subject as Elena poured pasta that she bought at the store, into a bowl in front of her. She looked up at me uneasily, clearly starting to rethink the process but I chuckled and shook my head.

"Okay, serving spoons. Where are the serving spoons?" Elena asked, turning around and looking at the drawers behind her.

"Middle drawer on your left." Bonnie answered quickly. Elena and I looked at each other in confusion before at Bonnie who shrugged, taking a wild guess. Elena pulled open the drawer that Bonnie directed her to before she grabbed the serving spoons and slowly took them out.

"Okay, so you've been in this kitchen a thousand times." Elena stated in an uneasy voice as she moved back over to the salads and pastas.

"Yeah, that's it." Bonnie agreed sarcastically before the doorbell rang. We all froze and looked in the direction of the door as Elena took a deep breath.

"Okay, he's here." Elena stated, clapping her hands together before leaving the kitchen to answer it. I looked at Bonnie who furrowed her eyebrows in nervousness and slowly put a spoon down on the counter.

"Don't be nervous. It's just Stefan." I stated in reassurance, making Bonnie roll her eyes at me. "Just be your normal, adorable self." I suggested in amusement before I put all of the bowls on the table.
~~~

After awhile, Stefan, Bonnie, Elena, and I sat around the table quietly eating. I pushed around the food that was on my plate while my mind wandered to other things before Elena cleared her throat. "Did Tanner give you a hard time today?" She asked, looking at Stefan as to strike up conversation.

"Well, he let me on the team, so I must have done something right." Stefan stated jokingly with a smile and Elena chuckled.

"Guys, you should have seen Stefan today. Tyler threw a football at him and he—" Elena started in amusement but Bonnie quickly cut her off.

"Yeah, I heard." Bonnie stated, smiling back but clearly uninterested. Bonnie looked back down at her food and Elena looked at me for some guidance.

"Tyler was pretty pissed about it. It kind of felt good to see it." I informed in amusement and saw Bonnie smirk a bit as she still looked down while Elena looked at me thankfully.

"Bonnie, you should tell Stefan about your family." Elena suggested and Bonnie looked up at her in annoyance before she started moving her food around with her fork.

"Um.. divorced, no mom. I live with my dad." Bonnie informed quietly and Stefan slowly nodded uncomfortably while Elena heaved a sigh.

"No, about the witches." Elena countered and I tilted my head at her, wanting her to drop it but she ignored me and turned to Stefan who looked confused. "Bonnie's family has a lineage of witches. It's really cool." She informed with a smile.

"Cool isn't the word I'd use." Bonnie sighed, making Elena look at her in annoyance.

"Well, it's certainly interesting. I'm not too versed but I do know that there's a history of Celtic druids that migrated here in the 1800's." Stefan pointed out, interested in the topic as he looked at Bonnie and I rose my eyebrow.

"My family came by way of Salem." Bonnie stated and Stefan furrowed his eyebrows.

"Really? Salem witches?" He asked in curiousness and she slowly nodded.

"Yeah." Bonnie replied with a nervous smile before looking back down at her plate and pushing her food around again.

"I would say that's pretty cool." Stefan admitted, looking at Elena who smiled while Bonnie furrowed her eyebrows.

"Really? Why?" Bonnie asked in an doubtful tone, making Stefan shrug back.

"Salem witches are heroic examples of individualism and non-conformity." Stefan answered with a smile and Bonnie listened intently before she slowly nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, they are." Bonnie replied, letting herself come out of her shell. Elena chuckled a bit and ate quietly as we both watched the two get along. The doorbell rang, bringing me from my thoughts. I looked at the door and at Elena who did the same with me.

"Did you invite anyone else?" I asked as I stood from the table while she shook her head in confusion. I walked down the hall and to door, opening it and raising a skeptical eyebrow as Caroline and Damon stood in front of me.

"Surprise!" Caroline stated excitedly as she held a red velvet cake in hand. "Bonnie said you were doing dinner so we brought dessert." She informed with a smile and I eyed Damon carefully from where he stood behind her.

"Oh." I replied, unsure of what to say as I looked down at the cake before back at Caroline who had a huge smile on her face.

"Hope you don't mind." Damon stated with a smile. I let my gaze stay on him for a few seconds before I took the cake from Caroline who stepped inside. Damon stood outside by himself now and Stefan came to the door quickly, eyeing him in suspicion.

"What are you doing here?" Stefan asked with furrowed brows as he stepped in front of me and Damon smiled back.

"Waiting for Mariana to invite me inside." Damon answered politely as he stepped forwards and I felt the tension between them build.

"Oh yeah—Damon, you can come—" Elena started from behind Stefan and I as she came down the hall also but Stefan cut her off.

"No, no, no, no." He started and we all looked at him in confusion. "He can't, uh—He can't stay." Stefan informed as he looked over his brother who stared back at him in amusement. "Can you, Damon?" He asked, narrowing his eyes warningly and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Get in here." Caroline chuckled from behind us, obviously confused as to why it's such a big deal.

"We-we were just finishing up." Stefan pointed out as he looked at Elena who smiled back at him.

"It's fine. Just come on in." Elena reassured as she nodded at Damon. I watched a smirk fall across his face before he walked past Stefan easily.

"Well.. who wants cake?" I asked with an uncomfortable sigh before I shut the door.
~~~

"I cannot believe that Tanner let you on the team." Caroline chuckled, shaking her head at Stefan who sat next to Elena on the couch from where we all sat in the family room. "Tyler must be seething." She added, turning to me and I rolled my eyes.

"Tyler must be something." I replied in annoyance, making Elena and Bonnie laugh quietly before I nodded at Stefan and folded my arms over my chest. "But good for you. Go for it." I added with a smile and he returned it.

"That's what I always tell him." Damon agreed from where he and Caroline sat in a chair beside the couch Elena and Stefan sat on. "You have to engage. You can't just sit there and wait for life to come to you. You have to go get it." He stated, smirking at Stefan who stared coldly back.

"Yeah, Elena wasn't so lucky today." Caroline pointed out with a sigh and I furrowed my eyebrows. "It's only because you missed summer camp—God, I don't know how you're ever gonna learn the routines—" She started, thinking out loud but I cut her off.

"Bonnie and I will work with her. I missed summer camp too, Caroline." I informed, tilting my head at her in some annoyance. "She'll get it." I reassured and looked at Elena who smiled gratefully.

"I know you missed summer camp but you were atleast practicing." Caroline countered as she looked at me and shook her head. "I guess we can put her in the back." She whispered, thinking to herself again and smirked while Elena glared back at her.

"You know, you don't seem like the cheerleader type, Mariana." Damon stated, changing the subject quickly and I looked over at him to see him tilt his head at me.

"Oh, it's just 'cause her parents died." Caroline admitted and I scoffed, taken aback. I looked at Elena who had the same disappointed face as I did. "I mean, she's totally going through a 'blah' phase but trust me—She used to be way more fun." She chuckled and looked back at me. I tilted my head at her in disbelief and watched her face fall slowly. "And I say that with complete sensitivity." Caroline whispered before I slowly nodded, feeling my anger boil up.

"Really? Because that was incredibly insensitive." I replied with a sarcastic smile, making her furrow her brows. "You don't have to be a show off bitch to your new boyfriend, Caroline... 'And I say that with complete sensitivity'." I quoted, making her become silent and turn away from me.

"I'm sorry Mariana and Elena. I know what it's like to lose both parents—In fact, Stefan and I have watched almost every single person we've ever cared about die." Damon pointed out, changing the subject once again and I looked at Stefan who stared at his brother uneasily.

"We don't need to get into that right now, Damon." Stefan stated emotionlessly and Damon nodded in some agreement.

"Ah, you know what—you're right, Stef. The last thing that I wanted to do is bring her up." Damon replied, shaking his head in defeat. I watched as Stefan looked away from his brother in defeat and Elena slowly put her cup down from her lips, looking away in silence as tried to piece it together.
~~~

I turned off the sink about to shut the dishwasher before Damon came into the kitchen. "One more." He smiled and held up a glass in his hand. I nodded at him and grabbed it, only for the glass to slip out of my hand but luckily Damon quickly caught it again and I chuckled a bit.

"Nice save." I smiled, taking it from him and putting it in the sink behind me.

"I like you." He stated and I rose an eyebrow. "You're like this sort of security for the people around you. And Elena—She makes Stefan smile, which I haven't seen him do in a very long time." He nodded approvingly as he moved to the other side of the dishwasher.

"Earlier—Did you mean, Katherine?" I asked, grabbing a plate from the sink, about to bend to put it in the dishwasher but Damon grabbed the plate, doing it for me.

"Mhmm." Damon replied softly as he looked up at me and I looked back at the sink.

"How did she die?" I asked quietly and watched as Damon furrowed his eyebrows, thinking it over in his head.

"In a fire. Tragic fire." He answered as I handed him the glass I just washed off and watched him put it into the dishwasher also.

"Recently?" I asked again, raising my eyebrow as he nodded in some agreement.

"Well—it seems like it was yesterday." Damon answered, giving me a smile but I knew it was for show and I looked away.

"What was she like?" I asked, raising my eyebrow at him and watched as he looked away.. clearly thinking about it deeply.

"She was beautiful—A lot like you in that department." Damon pointed out with a smirk and I tilted my head at him. "She was also a bit complicated—And selfish, at some times not very kind but also very sexy and seductive." He added with a nod as I grabbed another plate from the sink before handing it to him.

"So which one of you dated her first?" I countered sarcastically, tilting my head at him and watched him smirk back, chuckling a bit.

"Nicely deduced." Damon replied as he took the plate and put it into the dishwasher. "Ask Stefan. I'm sure his answer differs from mine." He added nodding, closing the dishwasher. I slowly ran a hand through my hair, walking over to the island counter before I started folding some dish towels. "I'd quit cheer leading if I were you." Damon stated as he came and sat on the stool that was beside me.

"Why do you say that?" I asked in some amusement but he scoffed lightly.

"Oh, I saw you at practice—Yes, Elena was missing the main moves but you? You looked miserable." Damon answered and I sighed, looking away from him.

"You saw that?" I asked sarcastically, shaking my head a bit as I continued to fold the dishtowels.

"Am I wrong?" He asked quietly, tilting his head at me before grabbing a towel to fold also.

"I used to love it—It was fun but things are just different this year. Everything that used to matter, doesn't anymore. Not like it did before." I admitted, making Damon slowly nod in agreement.

"So don't let it. Quit, move on. Problem solved. Ta-da." He replied with a smirk and I smiled down at him.

"Some things could matter again, Damon." I protested, eyeing him closely and he shrugged and put his towel in the folded pile.

"Maybe. But—seems a little unrealistic to me." Damon informed as he eyed me closely and I slowly nodded, looking down for a few seconds before back at him.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, making him furrow his eyebrows, not understanding. "About Katherine." I clarified and watched him look at me taken aback. "You lost her, too." I stated with a slow nod. Damon slowly unknitted his eyebrows as the two of us stared at each other in silence before Bonnie came in.

"Hey. Need some help?" Bonnie asked, raising her eyebrow at us with a smile. I smiled back as did Damon who nodded welcomingly.

"Sure, why not?" Damon answered and gestured for her to come over and join us.

-Time Skip-

I walked out of the bathroom to see my cheerleading outfit set out on the bed. I looked down at it, furrowing my eyebrows as I remembered what Damon had said to me last night.. I walked over to my dresser to see a picture of Elena and I smiling as we held our Pom-Poms and stood in our cheer outfits from a year ago. I looked at my reflection in the mirror and sighed, pondering what to do as I looked back over at my bed.
~~~

I smiled and talked with some cheerleaders after Elena and I got to the Football game before it started. Stefan walked towards us in his jersey before and Elena and I said bye to the girls and made our way over to him. "Ooh, look at you—you look hot in your jersey." Elena stated as she smirked up and down at Stefan.

"What about you? What happened—no more cheerleader?" Stefan countered, gesturing towards her normal clothes.

"I quit. I'm a quitter." Elena replied in defeat and Stefan smiled at her, shaking his head and taking her hands in his.

"No, hey. You're not a quitter. You suffered a great loss, you're not the same person." Stefan reassured as he looked down at her. "You should be looking ahead. You should be starting over, okay?" He asked with a smile and Elena smiled nodded in agreement.

"I'm gonna uh—go find a football player." I stated awkwardly from where I stood beside them. I walked away and back towards the crowd of people, trying to meet with the squad before the bonfire started. I smiled and walked through the crowd as I nodded at people I knew and dodged the people I didn't. I looked around me curiously, not paying attention to where I was going and accidentally bumped into someone. "Oh, sorry—" I started, turning to them before I scoffed and looked them up and down. "Nevermind. Not sorry." I added in annoyance as Tyler smirked down at me.

"Hey to you, too." Tyler started as he looked my uniform over slowly. "Nice to see us back where we started." He added in amusement and I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Where we started?" I asked, clearly not understanding the reference.

"Come on, Mar. Last year we made out at this thing." Tyler pointed out, tilting his head at me and I slowly nodded.

"Last year, I was also drunk." I admitted before walking away from him, only for him to grab me by the arm.

"And the months after that? You were drunk then, too? The entire time?" Tyler scoffed in amusement but I pulled my arm away from him.

"I might as well have been. Because the 'entire time', you were pining for Vicki. I was just too blind and naive to see it." I stated emotionlessly and quickly took the chance to walk away from him.

"Mariana!" Tyler yelled after me but I ignored him easily.
~~~

All of the students cheered as we surrounded the bonfire and looked up at the podium as Coach Tanner took the mic, holding his arms above us all as we yelled and cheered loudly. "Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait." Tanner said loudly into the mic, calming the voices below him. "Now, let's be honest here. In the past, we used to let other teams come into our town and roll right over us!" Tanner said loudly above all of us before the crowd 'booed' back at him in agreement. I looked at the football players who were lined up in front of Tanner as the cheerleaders stood across from them. "But that is about to change!" Tanner added again before the crowd cheered and I locked eyes with Tyler who was staring at me, but I looked away. "We've got some great new talent, starting on offense and I'm gonna tell you right now—it has been a long time since I have seen a kid like this, with hands like these." Tanner added, looking down at Stefan proudly and I smiled at him as the students cheered again loudly. "Let's give it up for STEFAN SALVATORE!" Tanner added loudly into the mic, making everyone look at Stefan and cheer him on in acknowledgment. My gaze fell back on Tyler again who quickly walked away from the bonfire. I furrowed my eyebrows at him, following him with my eyes. "—I only have one thing to say to you-" Tanner stated into the microphone as I looked back up at him, shaking my head after zoning out. "Your Timberwolves are hungry!" Tanner finished loudly in excitement before everyone applauded him and cheered. I jumped up and down, shaking my Pom-Poms excitedly and Caroline and Bonnie did the same from beside me. As the cheering continued, I felt my eyebrows furrow as everyone's attention seemed to move over to the parking lot.

"What are they are looking at?" Caroline asked in annoyance from beside me and I shrugged in confusion before I heard grunting and yelling come from the commotion.

"Tyler! Enough!" Vicki's voice yelled angrily from behind the crowd. I walked through the people surrounding the scene before I felt my eyes widen. Tyler hovered over Jeremy who was laying on the ground, getting pounded into angrily. "Stop! You're hurting him! Tyler!!" Vicki warned loudly as people started forming a circle around the two. "Tyler, Stop!" She repeated angrily and watched as the two rolled over and Tyler groaned heavily, punching Jeremy in the face as he sat on top of him. Jeremy breathed heavily back, pushing Tyler over and landing a punch in his side, making Tyler groan in pain. "Tyler, stop it! Tyler, Stop it!!" Vicki yelled frantically again and I saw Stefan quickly run forwards. I looked back at the two as Tyler flipped them over again, about to throw another punch at Jer but Stefan grabbed his hand with one of his.

"Hey, he's down! Enough!" Stefan stated in annoyance as I made my way over to them. Tyler looked back at Stefan and stood before he angrily punched Stefan in the stomach. I furrowed my eyebrows and saw the confused look on Tyler's face, realizing it didn't even phase him. I looked worriedly down at Jeremy who grabbed a broken vodka bottle that was laying on the ground in front of him. I watched as Jeremy slowly got up from the ground, bottle in hand and turned towards Tyler's back. Tyler clenched his jaw and tired to swing at Stefan again but Stefan blocked his punch and pushed him away.

"Jeremy, no!" I said loudly and move forwards as Jeremy plunged the bottle through the air, hitting Stefan's hand that had pushed Tyler away from him.

"Tyler, knock it off!" Matt yelled, grabbing Tyler forcefully. The noises around us died down as Jeremy backed away slowly, looking down at the now bloody bottle in shock. I rushed forwards and grabbed him by the collar of his sweatshirt before pushing him back into a pickup bed.

"What the hell, Jeremy!" I scoffed angrily at him but he looked away from me in annoyance.

"Put your head back, you're bleeding." Elena added as she came over to us and looked at Jeremy's nose but he pushed us away from him.

"I'm fine!" Jeremy yelled back and Elena scoffed at him.

"Yeah, you smell fine." Elena pointed out sarcastically, smelling the alcohol on his breath and I folded my arms over my chest.

"Just leave me alone, okay?" Jeremy countered, shaking his head and scoffing before walking off.

"Oh, my god—you're hand." Elena exclaimed as she moved towards Stefan who quickly hid his hand behind his back.

"No, no, no, it's fine." Stefan reassured calmly while Elena tried to grab his hand away from him.

"Is it deep, how bad is it?" Elena asked in concern and I furrowed my eyebrows at them as Elena grabbed his hand but he didn't open it. "Come on!" She added loudly before Stefan opened his hand, making her furrow her eyebrows and back away.

"But.. I saw—" Elena started in confusion as Stefan's hand remained in perfect shape, other than a little blood on his palm.

"He missed. It's not my blood." Stefan reassured, wiping his palm on his jeans before showing Elena again but she stared down at it in awe. "See, I'm fine." He added with a nod but she slowly shook her head.

"No, no, no. I saw it—the glass cut your hand, it was—" Elena started again before I stepped beside her.

"It's okay. He's okay." I added reassuringly, trying to think of how it was even possibly as well. Stefan gave me a grateful look as Elena still stared down at his hand, completely confused.

"It's almost kick-off time, alright?" Stefan asked, furrowing his eyebrows at her. "So, I'll uh—I'll see you after the game." He added and Elena nodded slowly back at him before he walked away.
~~~

Elena and I walked over to the cheerleaders who were struggling to straighten the Timberwolves banner sign and Bonnie turned toward us. "Hey! Where you been?" She asked, looking at me in confusion.

"I think Elena is totally overreacting but just to state my case—" I started, cutting myself off and looking at Elena while Bonnie rose an eyebrow.

"Can I ask you a question and have you give me a serious no-joke answer?" Elena asked uneasily as she narrowed her eyes at Bonnie.

"Of course. What is it?" Bonnie asked in concern and Elena sighed, looking at me in defeat before back at Bonnie.

"The bad mojo. When you touched Stefan and you had that reaction—" Elena started but Bonnie sighed, cutting her off.

"You know what, forget I said that. Your little dinner party plot totally won me over." Bonnie reassured her with a smile.

"No, Bonnie, seriously. What was it?" Elena asked in all seriousness and Bonnie furrowed her eyebrows before looking at me and I sighed.

"Did you see something, or.." I added, leading off slowly before Bonnie sighed at us in defeat.

"It wasn't clear like a picture. Like today, I keep seeing those weird numbers that I told you about? 8, 14, 22.." Bonnie stated, looking between Elena and I as we nodded back at her. "When I touched Stefan... It was a feeling. It vibrates through me, and it was cold and it was—" Bonnie started but cut herself off quickly and Elena furrowed her eyebrows.

"And what?" Elena asked worriedly, making me wish I didn't even come with her to talk to Bonnie.

"It was death." Bonnie answered in a serious tone and I tilted my head at her, fully interested now. "It's what I imagine death to be like." She added emotionlessly.

"Guys!" Tyler said loudly as he ran towards us from the locker room and I furrowed my eyebrows at the look on his face. "The games off." He informed, shaking his head in defeat. Caroline scoffed and quickly turned around, forgetting about the Timberwolves sign.

"What the hell are you—" Caroline started but Tyler cut her off.

"Tanner's dead." He stated emotionlessly and I heard most of the cheerleaders gasp back at him. "An animal attacked him.. the games off." Ty whispered in defeat and I slowly shook my head, turning to Elena and Bonnie who looked defeated. As did most of us.
~~~

I rolled my eyes and threw my cheerleading outfit in the back of my car before I closed the door. I turned around and gasped, coming face to face with Damon who stood in front of me. "You scared me—what are you doing?" I asked breathlessly as I looked him over. Damon looked around us carefully, checking for eves droppers.

"I'm hiding from Caroline." He whispered in response and I rose an eyebrow in some amusement.

"What? Did you bite off more than you could chew?" I asked sarcastically, folding my arms over my chest and he smirked.

"Maybe.. I needed a break. She talks more than I can listen." Damon admitted and I sighed, leaning back against my car.

"Don't you think that could be a sign?" I asked and looked at him skeptically before he shrugged.

"Well, she's also a little young." He stated and I furrowed my eyebrows and looked him over slowly.

"But... You're only a few years older than us." I pointed out and watched him think it over carefully in his brain before he chuckled nervously.

"I just don't see it going anywhere really. She'd probably drive me crazy." Damon stated with a shrug and I slowly nodded, pushing myself off of my car so I stood in front of him now.

"Look... Caroline does have some very annoying traits, but we've been friends since the first grade and that means something to me. Call it loyalty.." I stated, stepping closer to him in a threatening manner.

"Noted." Damon replied quietly as he looked me up and down slowly. "I don't mean to make you uncomfortable.. That's my last intention." He added, letting his eyes meet mine.

"I actually think your intentions might be the opposite. Since you put an alternate meaning behind everything that you say." I countered in annoyance and watched him slowly nod and step forwards, letting the space between us close a bit.

"You're right.. I do have other intentions, but so do you." He stated with a smirk and I rose an eyebrow back in curiousness.

"Really? Please, enlighten me." I stated with a sigh, making him chuckle a bit at the challenge.

"I see 'em. You want me." Damon answered and I stifled a laugh as I looked him over, trying to see if he was joking or not.

"I'm sorry... what?" I asked in amusement and he nodded quickly in agreement.

"I get to you. You find yourself drawn to me. You think about me when you don't want to think about me, I bet you even dream about me." He pointed out and I stared at him, feeling the tension between us getting serious and tense.. For some reason, this feeling felt very comfortable and familiar with him. "And right now... You want to kiss me." Damon whispered, staring at me intently and for a second there.. I almost believed it. Almost..

"Damon.." I whispered softly, moving closer to him seductively. I watched as he smirked and leant down towards me, about to meet his lips with mine but I sighed and dodged him easily. "Look, this have been fun—but I gotta get home. Dead football coach and all." I informed with a sigh as I moved towards my driver's side door and opened it. "See ya around, Salvatore." I added with a smirk before I got in the car and shut the door behind me. I put my seatbelt on and watched Damon's expression turn into pure confusion from my rear view mirror as I drove away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.5K 1.2K 68
Elena's twenty-one year old aunt moves to Mystic Falls after the death of her brother; she live Seth Elena, Elena's brother, and Elena's other aunt...
197K 2.8K 40
First book. Vanessa Salvatore, 164 year old vampire. Twin sister of Stefan and younger sister of Damon. Through the first 64 years of her vampire l...
294K 4.8K 18
Sophia Salvatore is the sister of Damon and Stefan Salvatore. She is a year younger than Stefan. But there's a secret. She is really Klaus's Long los...
391K 8K 67
Artemis Gilbert is the sister of Elena Gilbert. She is a werewolf witch hybrid soon to be more seeing as Klaus Mikaelson is breaking the curse. Artem...