Paranoia // Third Book To The...

By DeathInspiresMe_

After Archie got arrested the town of Riverdale went to shit. Pasts are dug up. Relationships tore apart. And... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Ask The Characters!
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42

Chapter 31

3.8K 73 171
By DeathInspiresMe_

"Well that is the last of the written permissions," I say to Mrs. Leather, "so I'm thinking my fear project, the portraits, and the one from the other day of me in the field."

"Yes," she says smiling as we look over my decided pieces for the show, "it will be great. We can mock set up your part of the show tomorrow. You and Toni are my stars so you can't disappoint."

"I don't plan on it," I say to her, "not in a million years." 

"I have a people coming from several art colleges," She tells me, "I talked to them about you and they loved what I sent. They are so excited to see the work." I squeal lightly. This could be my future. I feel my phone buzz violently in my pocket. I see Archie's contact on my phone.

"Sorry I have to take this," I say. She nods turning to another student in the art show. "Whats up Arch?"

"Ready for breakfast?" He asks me. I look to the Art teacher then back away. Sighing slightly. I really don't want to leave this set up stuff. 

"Yeah always," I say to him, "I'll meet you at Pops?"

"Alright see you there," He says. I hang up and Wave to Mrs. Leather before heading out. I know I can get this set up in time for everything. But honestly I also now getting this target off of Archie's back is a huge priority. I make my way to Pops in my truck. Lately Archie, Betty, and I were working to fix my mess of a truck. It was nice hanging out with the three of them and nice to learn how to fix the vehicle.

My presence at pops is alerted by the dinging bell. The three at the table look over at once to see me. I wave stepping towards them. I see Archie and Jug sitting on one side as Betty and I sit on the other.

"Sorry if I'm late," I say to them, "art show stuff."

"Oh how's that going N/n?" Betty asks me. I smile excitedly. Honestly I'm all but bouncing up and down in my sit due to the excitement of this art show and the college reps. 

"Well Mrs. Leather has invited a bunch of art school big leagues and a couple of them are very excited to see me work," I say slightly geeking out, "this could be my ticket away from Riverdale. Better yet this could be my ticket into the art world. I'm so excited."

"That's amazing," Archie says then looks over to Jug. The raven's eyes were firmly planted on the table. Slightly angry looking. Archie elbows him causing the raven to sit up and join the conversation.

"Oh yeah its cool," Jug says avoiding my eyes slightly, but once they hit mine my heart stops, "you can finally leave Riverdale behind." I see him slightly upset at his own words. I guess in his world the idea of me leaving Riverdale behind is me leaving him behind. What he doesn't know is that I won't leave him behind like he thinks I will. We are going to New York like we planned all the years ago.

"We promise we will be right there for you," Betty says. I smile brightly at her. I look over to the others.

"But we aren't here to talk about me," I say to them, "this is about Archie being a marked man. So what do we got?"

"Well," Jug says, "Here's the deal, Archie.   I checked with my dad,   I pulled all the files on Warden  Norton after he committed suicide,   and I cleared out his  office, and I found this." He places a baggie on the table showing a quest card. Exactly like the one Ricky had. Archie takes it.

"Quest Card," He scoffs as he holds both of the ones up, "'kill the Red  Paladin.' Like the one Ricky had." Archie hands them over to Betty and I as we look over them.

"These cards are identical," I say looking to Jug, "but I'm guessing you already figured that out."

"Yeah," He says, "Identical, That's the same design, same card stock.   To me, that indicates  that someone printed   out multiple 'Kill the  Red Paladin' cards,   put them out into the world."

"We need to find out who," Betty says speaking up.

"I know where to start," Archie says looking away.

"Okay," I say looking out the window past Betty, "think you've got it? Or do you want me to go?"

"I think I need to do this alone," He says standing up.

"Keep us posted," Jug says to him. Archie nods before heading off leaving the three of us alone. Jughead looks over at me seeming extremely tired.

"What's up Juggie?" I ask him. He sighs.

"My mom bought the Cooper house," He informs me. The two nod tensely, "which is so awkward."

"Yeah that's got to be," I say to him, "I'm really sorry. So what are your parents going to do?"

"My mom wants to sell and his wants to buy so its being finalized," Betty says, "but it sucks cause I'm losing my childhood home."

"Yeah I understand," I say to her, "well you can bunk with me if you like? I always have room. And you know Fred Andrews wouldn't mind."

"Currently I'm staying with Vee," Betty says, "I'll be fine. Its just going to be different."

"I know," I say patting her arm supportively. I look over to Jug. "So your mom and your sister are staying?"

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"I mean buying a place makes it seem permeant," I say to him, "you they are in fact staying?"

"Oh yeah," He says, "At least that's what my mom says. Something about wanting a real family. A white picket fence all American dream."

"Its what you deserve," I say honestly to him, "you've had a rough life. Honestly we all deserve that sense of calm. And don't think buying the house was out of malice Betty. She most likely didn't know."

"Right," Betty says, "I guess with both just try to stay afloat then." She looks over to Jug then back at me. "In the mean time lets focus our energy into helping Archie."

"Of course," I say to her, "but if you- either of you, want to relax for a bit. I'm working at the speakeasy tonight and It'll be fun. Girls night tonight so girls get drinks half off."

"Maybe," Betty says, "I guess I'll just see."

"What about you Jug?" I ask him.

"Oh I think I should hang out with JB tonight," He says, "sorry?"

"Its completely fine," I say to him understanding. I look down at my watch. "Well call me if anything happens with Archie."

"Where are you going?" Betty asks.

"A movie with Sweet Pea and Fangs," I say to them, "we are going to see Shazam."

"Oh really?" Jug asks, "when did you all get buddy buddy again?"

"I just- I can hang out with them again," I say looking away, "um I'll catch you guys later." I stand up moving from the booth nervously. Sure I don't want to let him treat me like that but I also understand the tension between us still from the breakup. I climb into my truck and head straight to the theaters. Once there I see Fangs and Sweet Pea standing in front of the theater laughing. I walk towards them forcing a smile over my face. "Hey losers?"

"Hey Chicca," Fangs says smiling at me, "you good?"

"Of course I'm good," I say to them, "I'm doing great. I'm rocking this single thing."

"You sure are," Sweet Pea says smiling down at me, "now lets go rock this movie as three single bros."

"Three single bros?" I ask him, "I thought your date was Fangs?" He rolls his eyes as Fangs chuckles. Much like Reggie and Moose, and Archie and Jug, these two have their wild bromance.

"Oh sorry how could I be so inconsiderate," Sweet Pea says jokingly and looks to Fangs. "Forgive me?"

"No no you forgot now I'm going with Y/n," Fangs says draping his arm around my shoulder. I roll my eyes harshly. "To late dude."

"You two are so dumb," I say pull away from them and moving into the theater. They follow me as we grab our tickets and our food. Everything we need to sit down and enjoy the movie. I sit beside Sweet Pea. As the movie starts I move resting my head on his shoulder. He looks over and smiles softly.

~~~~~

"The movie was pretty funny," Fangs says dumping his trash as I walk ahead stretching, "I like when they don't take themselves so seriously in movies."

"Same with tv shows," I say to him, "its even better when the actors can just let the critics slide."

"Yeah well some people are too sensitive," Sweet Pea says as we walk out of the theater, "I mean fighting with youtubers on twitter? That's crazy."

"I know," I say as I look up to the sky. The blending off the blue colors work perfectly. I should paint a sky some time soon. Sure its cheesy but its enjoyable. I look back over to the two boys and sigh lightly.

"So where are you headed?" Fangs asks me meeting my eyes. I think back quickly.

"I have to head home to get ready for work," I tell them, "its ladies night at the speakeasy. So its a good night to head in. Everyones going to be there. Or at least everyone Veronica's handed invites too."

"Are you trying to hookup with someone?" Fangs asks me smirking widely.

"No no not at all," I say to him, "I'm not like that." I could feel my cheeks heating up.

"Sure you aren't," Sweet Pea smirks, "maybe we'll pop in tonight. Just to see."

"Bite me," I say to them, "bye!" They wave as I walk towards my truck. Climbing inside and driving back to my house. The drive features me all but screaming the lyrics to the Dear Evan Hanson soundtrack. As I pull up to the house its good for you.

"So you got what you always wanted So you got your dream come true Good for you," I sing dancing lightly in my truck, "Good for you, you, you Got a taste of a life so perfect Now you say that you're someone new Good for you Good for you Good for you Good for you So you got what you always wanted!" I laugh as the song ends turning off my music. Sure maybe the neighbors think I'm absolutely crazy but I'm having fun. I pull myself from the car and rush down to my room. I lock my door behind me putting on some music to get ready to. 'I say no' from the other production of heaters blasts through speakers. Something about the song just really fits right now. It plays as I hum along.

"This is it hit the brake! Call it all my mistake" I sing passionately as I do my makeup, "Long as you let me go You need help I can't provide I'm not Bonnie You're not Clyde It's not too late I'm getting straight I say no!" It gets soft for a second, "Blame your childhood, blame your dad Blame the life you never had But hurting people? That's your choice, my friend But I believe that love will win And hate will earn you nothing in the end This is the end"

"But I love you! " The JD character in the song sings.

"Dude-" The veroinca character says.

"This is it I won't cry Starting now," I sing with the song still doing my makeup, "I will try To pay back All the karma I owe Start again Somewhere new Far from cool guys like you So goodbye 'Cause now I'm Saying no Just in time I say no Somehow I'm saying no Just say no I say no No!" As the song ends I stare into the mirror on my dresser on sigh. I guess the song really just fits right now. Veronica telling JD their relationship is toxic and she's over it. I step back and look at my reflection.

"Damn," I say smirking. I move pulling on my heels and then move marching out of the room. Tonight will be great.

~~~

As I pour drinks I see the girls and guys filling the bar cheering happily. I see Veroinca skip happily towards me.

"Come dance with Toni and me!" She says cheerfully, "come on Alec can handle the bar for a song or two."

"Veronica dear that's irresponsible," I say to her. She rolls her eyes.

"Hon you can't lie to me," She says, "I heard down the grape vine that you and Jughead broke up. So you need a little bit of fun alright? Now take a shot and get over here and dance with Toni and I."

"Yes Ma'am," I say smiling. I pour us each a shot. We take them and I leave the bar. Once I reach her she yanks me on stage with Toni and a couple other girls.

"Call your girlfriend~" Veronica sings, "It's time you had the talk Give your reasons Say it's not her fault But you just met somebody new~ Tell her not to get upset, second-guessing everything you said and done~"

"And then when she gets upset tell her how you never mean to hurt no one~" I sign with her.

"Then you tell her that the only way her heart will mend is when she learns to love again," Toni sings, "And it won't make sense right now but you're still her friend And then you let her down easy."

"Call your girlfriend It's time you had the talk~" We sing together dancing on top of the other, "Give your reasons Say it's not her fault But you just met somebody new." Toni stops singing. I look over to see Cheryl staring her down. I sigh.

"Don't you tell her how I give you something that you never even knew you missed~" Veroinca sings, "Don't you even try and explain how it's so different when we kiss~"

"And you just tell her that the only way her heart will mend is when she learns to love again~" I sing, "And it won't make sense right now but you're still her friend And then you let her down easy~"

"Call your girlfriend It's time you had the talk~" Toni sings again, "Give your reasons Say it's not her fault~ but you just met somebody new And now it's gonna be me and you~" We dance with the song happily. It seems Cheryl left.

"And you tell her that the only way her heart will mend is when she learns to love again~" We sing.

"And it won't make sense right now but you're still her friend And then you let her down easy," Veronica sings.

"Call your girlfriend It's time you had the talk Give your reasons Say it's not her fault~" We sing, "Call your girlfriend It's time you had the talk Give your reasons Say it's not her fault But you just met somebody new~" As the song ends I laugh happily. Pulling the two girls into a hug.

"I really needed this," I say smiling at them. I step down from the stage to see Betty watching me with a bright smile.

"I haven't seen you having this much fun in a while," She says honestly, "its amazing actually."

"I know," I say to her as I step towards the door climbing over to get back behind it. She sits in the stool in front of me. "Want a drink? I'll cover it?"

"In that case," She says smiling. I nod pouring it for her as Veronica and Toni start singing again. "Is it always like this around here?"

"Only on special nights," I tell her, "typically Veronica doesn't drink on the job but lately she's been pretty stressed."

"Yeah I heard," Betty says to me as I hand her the drink. She takes it quickly and makes a sour face after it. "What was that?"

"Straight vodka," I smirk at her, "my personal favourite. Want something sweeter?"

"No no," She says to me, "I like it."

"Don't lie to me Betty Cooper," I say to her, "here I'll make you something sweeter." I mix up one of the drinks.

"So you and Jughead are?"

"Yeah," I tell her, "and it seems like it'll be like that for a little bit longer." I hand her the drink. "Bubble gum shot." She takes the shot and smiles.

"Oh yeah that's much better," She tells me, "you not drinking any?"

"Other than the one shot I already had," I say, "no. I need to drive home. And I'm guessing you'll probably need a ride."

"No I just need to ride home with Veronica," She says. I sigh. "My mom already has our stuff out."

"Bummer," I say pouring her another drink, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," She says to me, "just be there?"

"Anytime time Betty Cooper," I say to her, "you deserve for someone to be there. I know I wasn't there but I will. Okay?"

"Of course," She says slightly leaning forward. Her eyes on my lips. "I don't want to make the same mistake again. Am I misreading signs?"

"Shut up," I say as crash my lips into hers. She moves deepening the kiss as I lean further over the bar to tangle my hands in her blonde locks. After a couple of passionate minutes we pull apart. "Wow."

"Yeah wow," She says to me. I smirk widely at her looking at my watch.

"I'm off in about ten minutes," I tell her, "maybe we can have a little fun?"

"Definitely," She nods and looks around, "surprisingly I don't think anyone noticed us."

"Everyone's drunk," I tell her, "more girls have drunken kissed here than you think." She nods as I move to the others at the bar pouring drinks. I feel her eyes on me the whole time. Every glance at the clock puts me closer and closer to this. But suddenly I can't think straight. How can I do this? I mean this is Betty Cooper. The love of my life's ex girlfriend. The girl in pretty pink.

"Hey Y/n you're good to go!" Veronica calls over. I nod. I move out from behind the door and wave Betty to follow me. Veronica bare seems to notice but once we are out of the speakeasy I grab Betty's hand dragging her behind me and racing home. The second we cross the threshold of my bedroom I crash my lips into hers. Our motions in sync as I take dominance over her. I sit on the edge of my bed pulling her onto my lap deepening the kiss as she places her hands on my shoulders. Our movements seem some natural and soft. She breaks the kiss to toss off her shirt and I follow suit. Her lace pink bra causes my face to go red. I've slept with 8 guys but I've only ever slept with two girls before. And back then they took the lead. I'm falling over myself in an attempt to get this right.

"Before we go any further I want to clear the air," Betty says, "this doesn't mean anything other than I want to hook up with you."

"Yeah alright," I say to her.

"I don't want to date you," She tells me, "I mean I think you are beautiful but I don't want to be with you."

"Same here Betty Cooper," I say to her, "I just got out of a relationship. I don't need another. So we both agree?"

"Of course," She says. I smirk knowing the rest of the night would be rather eventful.

(maybe on my second Riverdale book of oneshots I'll post the whole thing uncut?)

~~~~

I wake up to see Betty now fully dressed sitting at my desk.

"I wanted to wait until you were awake," She says to me, "I wanted to talk."

"Okay," I tell her.

"I meant what I said," she says, "that I don't want this to become something."

"I know," I say, "and I meant what I said."

"Good," She says, "so this won't change our friendship?"

"Not at all," I say to her, "now if you'll excuse me I have to get ready for the serpent officer thing." I stand from the bed and pull on my shirt from the ground and a pair of shorts from my dresser. "It was fun though. Maybe if we both are alone again we can do it again?"

"Maybe," She says. I smirk collecting clothes for today. I wave before trotting upstairs to the shower.

~~~~~

"Today, the Serpents start a new chapter," FP says to all of us, "You're no longer outlaws,   you're lawkeepers, which is why I've got  Tom Keller here to help. He is the best damn sheriff  Riverdale's ever had."

"Well, thanks,  FP, that's quite an introduction," Keller says smiling slightly, "Um, a lot of what we'll be doing  over the next couple of months   will be like basic training.   Each junior deputy will be paired with  an officer who will then mentor them." He starts to give out the list and he walks to me.

"Officer Falters," Keller says to me, "good luck."

"What wait why do I get a good luck?" I ask him, "you didn't say that to anyone else!"

"Hey L/n lets go!" A female officer says. I sigh stepping forward. "I'm Officer Falters."

"Y/n L/n," I tell her. She nods.

"Well come on kid," She says to me. We walk out to the cruiser and I sit beside her in the front.

"You know this is the first time I've been in the front of one of these things," I say to her chuckling slightly. My smile drops once I see her hash look, "did I say first time in the The front? I meant first time in a police cruiser."

"I'm not here to judge," She says to me, "I mean you're a teenager in a gang. I'd be surprised if you never rode in one of these."

"That's a very offensive stereotype," I tell her, "I don't think Jughead's ever rode- wait no he has. Okay at least a couple of our members have never rode in one."

"Lets just agree to be quiet," She says. I nod. This is going to be a long rest of high school.

~~~~

"The American Dream? A hoax if you ask me. However the American Dream is defined as 'the ideal by which equality of opportunity is available to any American, allowing the highest aspirations and goals to be achieved.' This isn't real. Veronica Lodge born to parents who have money out the wazoo will always be ahead of me. If a college was choosing between us all her parents would have to do is fund a new building for the school and she'd be in. Despite my higher SAT score or my higher gpa. Because she has money she'd get the chance to make herself. Even if she doesn't go to school her parents have the money to let her do whatever. There isn't equal opportunity in this country. The rich are the only ones who statistically will succeed. So why should we try? For the attempt to get just a little sliver of the sweet American dream."

"Kid," Mrs. Falters says as she drives us around in her cruiser, "I asked if your going to FP's birthday party." For a bit I was quiet. Then she started talking and I started ranting.

"I am going to the party," I say to her, "and that goes into my American dream speech. FP Jones has been chasing it since he was a boy. Now he's almost fifty and lives in a one bedroom trailer. Suddenly his ex and his daughter stroll back into town."

"Kid I don't care-"

"No no listen," I say to her, "his old romance with Alice Cooper had to end. It wasn't great and they weren't happy. Only because she has fallen into this crazy cult!"

"Alice Cooper in a cult?" She asks me. I smirk.

"See I knew you'd care," I say smiling, "now Alice is in a cult called the farm. A dumb name for a cult right? And everyone keeps talking about this shady Edgar Everner guy who wasn't been in riverdale yet. Despite the fact his daughter is here. And! He now owns the Sisterhood Of Quiet Mercy."

"So it went from drug testing rejected nuns to a cult?" She asks me.

"I knew you were paying attention," I say settling into my seat, "yes it did. And the daughter, her name is Evelyn is recruiting the teens of Riverdale high by latching onto the emotional vulnerable. Like the ex sheriff Tom Keller's son Kevin."

"The gay one we found in the woods with his boyfriend?" She asks, "shame what happened to him. He must be scarred."

"He is! That's how the cult got him," I tell her, "they are like these soul stealing aliens-"

"Do you have any friends?" She asks me. I scoff loudly. "I mean seriously. You have been talking my ear off for the last four days. Why aren't you with your friends?"

"If you must know," I say as cross my arms over my chest, "after I broke up with Jughead my friends have all kind of been trying to hang out with both Jug and I separately in order to spare our feelings. Which made me feel bad since he was alone and so I decided to avoid them all."

"You dumped the sheriffs son?" She asks me.

"Yes," I tell her, "he wasn't being the best to me so I called it off."

"What is your life?" She asks me. I scowl at her. "What? You deiced to spill your whole life story and I don't get to comment?"

"No!" I exclaim, "I'm an orphan do you really want to scare me more?"

"You're also a shoplifter, rape victim, almost black hood victim, ex drug addict," She says in a matter of fact tone, "what in your life didn't go wrong?"

"You aren't nice," I say to her, "I can't see why FP partnered us up."

"I can't either," She huffs, "you know I was a lot like you as a kid."

"How so?" I ask her.

"Well," She says to me, "first as a younger kid I was all rebellious and hung around the gang kids. Sure I never joined but trust me I was close."

"Really?" I ask her, "like who did you hang out with?"

"Your mom," She tells me, "seriously! I was pretty close with her and your aunt."

"I don't believe it," I say to her, "I want proof Ma'am." She opens the glove compartment in front of me and pulls out a thick envelope. "What the hell is that?"

"I was digging through some old pictures to show FP," She tells me, "look through em and weep." I pull them out and follow the order. I see a young looking Mrs. Falters with various people. After a couple her story is confirmed. There she is in the picture right with my mother and Lily. All hanging at the Whyte Wyrm.

"Damn," I say to her, "wow I would have never guessed."

"Yeah well I don't look like I used to hang out with a gang," She chuckles, "anyways I used to be that rebellious teen who was in love with the serpent king."

"You liked FP?!" I exclaim. She chuckles.

"Yeah and it was bad," She says, "he lead me down a shitty path and it took me forever to forgive him. My advice maybe let that Jughead kid go."

"I love Jughead," I tell her, "he's my best friend. He and I have been the insomnia twins and apart of the makeshift scooby doo crew of riverdale since we were kids. I can't just let him go. Once he and I work everything out we can get back together."

"You are what 15? 16?" She asks me.

"17," I clarify, "I'm seventeen."

"Okay so your 17," She says, "you don't really know what love is. Okay? You are just a kid. I know he might be telling you some pretty lies but the Jones Men will always be in Riverdale. Better yet any men like them will always be stuck in this little town." I look out the window.

"Why are you telling me this?" I ask her.

"I don't want you to get stuck here like your mom," She says to me.

"Take me back to the school," I say to her, "I have homework to do."

"Sure," She says slightly turning around. I sigh knowing deep down that she's slightly right. I mean looking at the family historically none of the Jones men ever left Riverdale permanently despite every single one of them wanting to. I mean seriously FP has wanted to get away since he was younger and here he is almost 50 and still stuck in this town. His father wanted to live and got stuck in this down. Jughead wanted to leave for so long and then he took the Serpent King roll and now I don't think he's going to leave. Despite his very long list of ambitions and desires he can't achieve unless he leaves he isn't going anywhere. 

__________________

Its a meh chapter sorry guys

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2M 53.4K 57
You were lucky. At least that's what everyone else said. Lucky you didn't die at your psycho father's hand. Lucky the rain of terror ended after his...
7.4K 132 9
♥︎𝙙𝙞𝙨𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙪𝙚𝙙♥︎ ♡𝕀𝕟 𝕨𝕙𝕚𝕔𝕙 𝕁𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 𝕁𝕠𝕟𝕖𝕤 𝕚𝕤 𝕕𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕨𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕘 ℂ𝕠𝕠𝕡𝕖𝕣.♡︎ 𝐼 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑜𝑤𝑛 𝑎𝑛�...
432K 10.7K 56
Betty... The perfect girl next door. A surfer. A soccer player. A mechanic. A writer. The perfect daughter. The perfect sister. But there is so much...
40.9K 1K 51
Jughead Jones comes back to town, his mother moved him away when he was 5. He's now 17 and has come back to live with his father. When he arrives he...