The Selfless Gene

By PeteDur

Trapped in a dank cave with only his bestial inner voice for company, Thame has a choice: deny the creature i... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48

Chapter 15

1 0 0
By PeteDur

Two and a half years ago...

Andrea and Isabella are laughing as they approach two friends outside the train station.

"Hello my dears!" Andrea bellows, already a couple of cocktails deep.

"Darlings!" Tony replies, starting a chain of hugs and double-cheeked kisses.

"Looking fab, ladies. Where to?" Eddie, the other friend, checks his hair in the reflection of a car window.

"There's a nice bar around the corner. Decent Aprerol Spritzes." Isabella leads the way.

"Wouldn't want to come between a woman with Aperol Spritz on her mind." Andrea dryly retorts as the gang go off to the bar.

The bar is on a rough street with boarded-up shops slowly being prized back to life by young startup businesses and popup art installations.

"Where's Daniel tonight?" Tony asks Andrea.

"Oh, he sends his apologies but he's on nights again. He just started at that new Vet Hospital so he's still getting the crappy shifts."

"You're a free woman for the night. Let's go wild." Eddie says.

"And you, Isabella. On the town. Single. Ready to mingle?" Tony butts in.

"God, you two together!" Isabella jokes. "You never know. I may be swept off my feet."

"You not back on Bumble?" Andrea asks.

"Nah. Had a few dates but nothing mind blowing. Decided to give it a rest."

"Ooh, can I have a go when we get to the bar?" Andrea giggles.

"It's not Words with Friends!" Isabella protests.

"Of course not. Mind you, you did try that and it didn't quite work out." Andrea says before squeezing her lips together and making a cheeky face

"Ooh, zing! Andrea's on form tonight!" Tony laughs.

"Haa, ha." Used to her friend's teasing, Isabella can only summon weak sarcasm.

The group reach the bar and get their orders in.

"My round. What you having?" Tony asked.

"Aperol Spritz."

"Aperol Spritz."

"Aperol Spritz."

"How imaginative." Tony rolls his eyes and heads to the bar.

Andrea looks for a place to sit while Eddie hangs goes with Tony to help with the drinks. The place is half full, still gearing up for the busy time of the night.

Almost immediately, three men move towards Isabella and surround her. Like the weakest of the herd being left adrift, she's an easy target for the predatory men who swoop in.

"Hi, how are you?" One of the men asks, quite innocently.

"Good thanks. Nice to be out with friends, which hasn't happened in a while."

"Oh cool. You from around here?" Another man steps in.

The men begin to encroach Isabella's personal space a little.

"You look amazing. Having a good night?" One of them starts.

"Can I get you a drink, gorgeous?" Says another of them as they encircle her like Orcas on a hunt.

Isabella tightens up and gives Eddie a quick glance, pleading for help. Eddie catches her eye and moves away from his halfway house between her and the bar.

"Alright lads. Isa, what drink can I get you?" He changes his voice to fit in.

"I'll have a Aperol Spritz." Andrea slides in behind Isabella, looking very uncomfortable.

"Sure thing," says Eddie. He goes over and gives Isabella a proprietary kiss on the cheek, before turning to go back to the bar.

"What's your problem?" Says the guy to the left.

"Sorry, mate? Nothing. Just asking my girlfriend what she wants to drink." Eddie replies.

"Faggot!" Before Eddie knows what's happening, one of the men has him in a headlock and the other man starts punching him in the face.

Andrea screams and Isabella freezes in her spot. Tony is still at the bar with his back to it all, while the men continue to punch Eddie, tightening their headlock.

From nowhere, The Intern rushes over, punching one of the men to the ground. As the headlock is released, he then takes the other man and uses a police immobilising technique to pull him away. Finally, two bouncers come over to drag the aggressors kicking and screaming out of the bar.

"Fuck you and your gay t-shirt!" Screams one of the men as they disappear from view.

"Oh my god, Eddie. Are you okay?" Isabella puts a consoling hand on his back. Andrea gives him a shaky hug, still stunned herself from the brutal reminder of male violence.

"Yeah, fine. No blood." Eddie is physically shaking. Tony comes back from the bar with a round of drinks.

"What the hell just happened? How did I miss this?"

"Yeah, thanks Tony." Eddie laughs. Tony kisses his man and sits him down in a booth as the bouncer and The Intern comes back to check on Eddie.

"Are you okay, mate?" asks The Intern.

"Yes, thanks. What a good samaritan. Thanks so much."

"No problem. Are you both okay too?" The Intern nods towards Isabella and Andrea.

"Yes, what a couple of arseholes. You're an absolute legend. Can I buy you a drink to say thanks?"

"Not needed. Hope your mate is alright."

The Intern retreats back to his friends on his table, letting the group enjoy their evening. He texts confirmation that Stage One is complete, instructing double payment for the assaulters for a good job well done. It's time to move to Stage Two. All through the night he glances over at Isabella, catching her eye, but waiting for the right moment to make a move.

"Oh my God, Isa. You keep looking at him. I've seen you all night!" Andrea jokes as she sips on her drink.

"No I'm not."

"You could do a lot worse. Strong, kind. Those arms."

"Oh come on, Andrea." Isabella says, well aware that the show of strength had attracted her, making her feel safe.

"You're not kidding me!" Andrea announces.

"Or me." Tony pipes up.

"Definitely not me. I wouldn't mind us all going out with personal security bolted on in the future." Eddie, now perked up again, chips in.

"Ugh, guys. Okay. I'm not... shit, he's coming over."

The Intern approaches the group with a warm, friendly smile.

"Hey mate, you feeling better now?" He says to Eddie, ignoring the girls.

"Oh yes, thanks. You sure you won't accept a drink on us?"

"No thanks, good to hear you're alright." The Intern replies.

"Oh well, how about a number then?" Eddie pauses. "Hers?" He nods with devilish smile to Isabella. She tightens her jaw and glares at Eddie in embarrassment.

"Eddie!" She exclaims. "I'm sorry, oh, I never got your name."

"Actually, you know what," The Intern pauses and looks directly at Isabella. "I will take that drink, but say next Wednesday night? 8pm, Barry's Wine Bar?"

Isabella bites her lip through a smile, and then chuckles.

"Okay then. Deal." She offers her hand and they shake on it.

"Here's my card with my number on it. Bit old school."

"No, that's nice. Thanks."

"So Wednesday at eight. Text me if you change your mind."

"You're on." Isabella smiles before The Intern moves to leave the bar. He nods at the barman and security on the way out. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.3K 1.6K 47
"𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘮𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘺 𝘱𝘢𝘪𝘯, 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳𝘴... 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘺 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴.... 𝘬𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘦...
237 34 10
*WATTYS2018 Longlisted* He saw a pair of eyes, his eyes. But they were elongated, angled and a deep, angry red... Thame is, on the surface, an avera...
63.2K 1.2K 36
'"Tell me what's wrong." I laugh, but it's filled with sadness, "I can't tell you what's wrong, I don't know you." "That's exactly why you can tell...
1K 443 44
"It was supposed to be a happy ending," she exclaimed, breaking the silence of the library. Everybody looked at her angrily, and her sister scolded h...