Dark Visions

By LLSanders

A tarot reader aids a mysterious man who believes she is the only one who can help him return to his true hom... More

1: Wispy Visions of Shadow
2: An Eerie Bout of Sorrow
3: A Gathering of Souls
4: Assembling the Chaos
5: The Green Children of Woolpit
6: Damage and Distress
7: The Spirals of Life
8: Encased in Misfortune
9: The Five Clairs
10: The Enigma of Shadow Lake
11: The Black and the Blues
12: In Light of the Labyrinth
13: Double the Darkness
15: The Things that Lie Between
16: Confronting the Dark
17: The Hollow Darkness that Lies Beneath
18: Whence She Came
BONUS: Deleted / Alternate Ending
Dark Visions | Open Novella Contest 2019
Bonus Chapter: Blamore's Perspective

14: The Peculiar & Uncanny Valley

592 84 67
By LLSanders

As Samuel's frightened and wounded double left a trail of wet footstep in his hast, Blamore and I vigilantly followed them deeper into the tunnel. I held the flashlight out in front of me like a weapon, preparing for any surprises. The thought of treading further into the unknown kept me on edge.

Caught in the flashlight beam up ahead sat a medium sized black backpack that resembled mine, however, I knew it wasn't the one I entered the cave with. My backpack was abandoned in the tunnel opposite of this one. This backpack had to belong to my double.

And I hoped with all my energy that I wouldn't run into her.

The thought of meeting an alternate version of myself scared me more than anything else I've encountered in this place. It was like staring in the mirror at your reflection and daring it to make an unwanted move. Although that used to be a scary childhood game I participated in, I'd never planned for my reflection to actually take on a life of its own.

I knew I would never be prepared for that creepy confrontation.

I rushed toward the pack and quickly unzipped one of the pockets. I dug inside and retrieved the deck of tarot cards which stuck together in a large, wet clump. They were the exact same Celtic tarot cards I'd often used, but I reminded myself these were not mine.

In search of some spiritual guidance or clarity, I peeled back the top layer and looked at the card beneath it. The beautiful imagery of The Moon card was enhanced by the glow of the light, and the vibrant colors of greens and blues invaded my vision.

Black enveloped me, completely taking over my sight and a sense of calmness stilled my rapidly beating heart.

I emerge into an open space. A gentle, cool breeze kisses my skin. I welcome it. The overcast sky enhances the tranquil energies surrounding me. The distant howl of a wolf turns my attention to the faraway bridge connecting ancient buildings to other ageless structures. And there it stands, the lone wolf. Its snout points toward the full, blue moon as it lets out a long-winded howl that oscillates every fiber of my being like the delicate strings of a melodic violin. The views are extraordinary, breathtaking, and mysteriously haunting, yet I feel at home.

"Max?" Blamore's voice shook me from my meditative state and I blinked into utter blackness.

"What's happened?"

"The light went out." His warm breath caressed my ear and I immediately embraced the comfort of knowing he was near.

"It's broken again?" I shook the flashlight, but everything remained drowned in utter darkness. The fear of getting caught in another unexpected quake or encountering an unwelcome doppelgänger ignited the adrenaline in me. "We can't be sitting ducks."

"True."

A gentle touch on my forearm startled me and I flinched. "Is that you, Blamore?"

"Yes." His slender fingers curled around my wrist. "Do you mind?"

How could I resist after he had picked me up and carried me in his arms to safety earlier? This time, I would lead him to safety. I took his gentle hand in mine. "Follow me." I pulled him forward and we gradually made our way down the dark path ahead, moving through the blackness with a map I made within my memory. Without resistance he followed, trusting me wholehearted as I instinctively guided him toward the unfamiliar. I held the broken flashlight in front of us as our only form of defense, but I was eager to take my mind off of what lay ahead. "Moving through this cave is like searching for a deep dark secret that's been hidden somewhere in the pit of an abyss."

"Or your subconscious." His grip tightened slightly on my palm.

"Exactly." I nodded even though he couldn't see me. "I've learned more about myself while struggling to survive in this cave than I had my years of living outside of these walls."

Blamore grunted and I imagined a bashful grin upon his face. "Surviving life requires you to learn from your experiences, the good and bad."

"I used to tell my clients that when there was bad news in the cards." I huffed at the realization. "Learning is like food for the soul. And for me being psychically gifted, I never saw this scenario in any vision."

"Being trapped in a cave?"

"No." I pulled him closer until I felt his radiating body heat on my exposed skin. "Developing a deep sense of connection and understanding in such a short time with someone I barely even know."

"We know each other on a deeper level." He squeezed my hand. "You just don't remember. But don't worry. I have a feeling it will all come back to you."

There was no doubt he was right. As the words left his lips, they fit snug in my heart like a missing piece of the puzzle. "I can't wait to get out of here."

"The determination you have to leave this place is the same determination I have to get back to where I truly belong. You're feeling an eagerness to return to where you know you're safe, where things feel familiar and comfortable. You're ready to return home too."

I thought of all the loss, grief and fear we've encountered so far. "Why go through so much hell for comfort, or safety, or home?"

"You wouldn't fully appreciate any of it if it were just given to you. The best things in life are usually earned."

I continued to sweep the broken flashlight ahead of us to prevent us from blindly bumping into the jagged walls. And after a few minutes of walking in pitch black, the flashlight oddly flickered back on. Teasingly, the light blinked on and off until we took our final steps and exited the tunnel. I examined the light, questioning why it was sporadic in its assistance and if its aid was somehow calculated.

As soon as I took my eyes from the handle of the flashlight, I focused on what the beam had illuminated before us. Droplets of water that dripped from the menacing, teeth-like stalagmites on the roof of the cave that hovered over a vast black lake.

"This looks like the same lake we just crawled out of." What my eyes saw and what my heart felt contradicted one another. "This is not the same lake. It can't be."

"It's not but it's a splitting image." The puzzled look on Blamore's face remained as he stood on the landing near the edge of the black water where three interconnected spirals where carved into the rock at his feet. "There's only one way to go from here."

"I'm not getting in that water." Just the thought of going through a similar experience of losing Brent to the cursed lake was more than enough to convince me to stay put. "What if what happened to Brent happens to us?"

"Brent couldn't swim." There was compassion in Blamore's words. "We can. There's no other way."

"If we go back and go through a different tunnel—?"

"First, we can't go back. The quake made it dangerous and maybe impossible." He sighed and avoided eye contact. "And second, what if the other tunnels lead to another lake."

"Branches of the same experience . . ." I stared at the reflection of light on the water. "I'm sorry Brent. I'm sorry Samuel. I should've tried harder."

Blamore watched me from his periphery. "You did the best you could, Max. It's not your fault."

"Before this cave, before you, I had Samuel." I cleared my throat. "He met Brent I thought their relationship would take away the significance of me and Samuel's friendship, so I subtlety refused to support them. Not accepting when Samuel fell in love with Brent or when Samuel renounced his religion. Inch by inch, I distanced myself from them and what mattered to them. It was only after I turned my back that he and Brent did the same to me. I was jealous, and naïve, forcing them to move on without me."

"Oh." Blamore bowed his head, not even attempting to make a positive out of my confession.

I followed suit. "That's why Samuel hates me."

"He doesn't hate you or he wouldn't have come here to be with you. To support you."

"Now that Brent's gone, I'm sure he does." I sniffed, blinking away warm tears that hovered on my lower lids. "I've learned this lesson too late, didn't I? My friend is now gone. All of them."

A sound beyond the lake perked my ears.

Samuel's husky voice was barely audible, but his tone was distinct. "Listen. There's no use in arguing over beliefs. Let's just stick to the facts. Okay? We came. We're here. Now we just have to find a way out. Nothing else matters."

I glanced to Blamore whose eyes were as wide as mine. "That's Samuel!"

Blamore stared at the other end of the lake. "Sounds like it."

Before I could call out to him, Cecil's high-pitched voice echoed over the surface of the water. "Sticking to the facts means acknowledging Max's gifts. That's step one."

Samuel chimed in, "I told you, there's nothing supernatural here."

My heart skipped a beat with excitement. "Samuel and Cecil were together? They were talking about me and my gifts. Cecil didn't seem upset anymore as she defended me.

Her voice echoed over the space again. "She saw this happening."

My heart lit up and I laughed out of pure joy. Were they forgiving me for being a lousy friend? This was my chance to reunite with them and show them what a good team we were. We could put our differences aside and work to get out of this place together.

But as quickly as the bliss entered my heart, a hollow pit batted it away and replaced it as Brent's voice reverberated through the room. "Yet, she couldn't do anything to prevent it. So, what's the point?"

A lump formed in my throat as I came to the realization. "Those are not my friends." I stared at Blamore unblinking. Like Samuel, were they doubles? But their conversation seemed familiar. "That's them from earlier. They're saying the same things they said to each other before finding the lake."

My theory was confirmed as the uncanny voice that mimicked my own carried through the air. "Finding a way out of here is a better use of our time."

I gasped from understanding what this meant. "They're heading toward the water. Maybe I can warn them."

Blamore shook his head, his wavy hair feathered across his neck like silky drapes. "I don't think that will work, Max."

"I gotta try." I went to the water's edge. "If there's a possibility of saving Brent from drowning, I can't let that opportunity pass." I stared at Blamore for his understanding.

After an awkward few seconds, he nodded. "Okay."

I searched for the right words to say and hoped against all hope that Brent or someone would be able to hear me. "Don't hold your breath, Brent. No matter what, stay above the water. Don't go under. Don't hold your breath!"

I listened for confirmation that my message was heard, but only the sporadic drips of water replied.

"We have to get across." Blamore looked to me. "It's the only way."

"I'm not going under the water," I declared. I was all for practicing what I preached, and the best bet of survival was to continue onward vigilantly. "The last time we went under the water we came up without a member of our team, and we looked and acted like different people." I still couldn't believe Cecil and Arturo would turn their backs on me. But Cecil was right, we didn't owe each other anything.

Sometimes going alone on a journey is best for your growth.

"We'll stay above water." Blamore extended his hand. "Ready?"

I placed my hand into his and my faith into him. "Let's go."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

529 112 20
{COMPLETED} What would you do if you were once again confronted by the immense darkness and pain which had held you hostage in the past? Will you t...
1.4K 349 11
{ONC2021 2nd Place Overall, Round Two Ambassador Picks & Shortlist} When Max O'Brien receives an almond with a skull painted on it, he initially play...
3.2K 467 30
|| 2021 WATTYS SHORTLIST || Welcome to Streamfield, Massachusetts, home to one of the largest populations of witches, sorcerers, and shapeshifters in...
1.5K 240 17
(Book 4) Shortlisted for ONC 2023! Not all secrets go to their graves. A former librarian's ghost haunts Everett Pepperheart, pleading with him to...