𝑰𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑬𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓𝒔, tho...

By pinkblinder

❝ALL THE SHINE SHE HAD WAS THE GHOST OF SOMETHING DEAD.❞ {tommy shelby x oc} pinkblinder © February, 201... More

In the Embers.
❝playlist❞
ACT I
prologue.
first shot.
second shot.
third shot.
fourth shot.
fifth shot.
seventh shot.
eighth shot.
ninth shot.
tenth shot.
eleventh shot.
twelfth shot.
thirteenth shot.
fourteenth shot.
ACT II
• notification (7 rings » In the Embers).
fifteenth shot.
sixteenth shot.

sixth shot.

4.8K 185 65
By pinkblinder

(sixth shot)

06 | in which she understands and ignores.

For Bella, the math of love was not as simple as couples who had been married for a long time seemed to prove it. Love was too complex, more than the bills she made every month to be fair to her employees, more than the choice of fabrics she had to make to be durable, beautiful, and cheap material.

More than being who she was, Isabella Andriessen, a business woman when business was a thing for men.

But Bella understood that there were instincts about love that were very simple to understand, one of which was to protect and care for the one she loved, and that was why her face was unmoved by seeing Chester Campbell and his men inside her office, treating the place where she worked as a brothel any.

Quietly, Bella pulled the drawer from her desk and took out a beige paper document, placed it on the table, and tapped the paper with the tip of her index finger twice.

"Not wanting to be disrespectful at all, Inspector," she said softly, leaning back in her chair and folding her hands over her lap. "But my theater is totally within the law, as you can see."

"I'm sorry for not believing that a piece of paper from a gangster woman is written," the Inspector said without bothering to see the document. "Scan everything, if he left it here, it will be here."

"I don't know what you're looking for, but unless they're feathered and dressed, there's nothing here that the police could be interested in." Bella continued in a soft voice. "I would love it if you did your job a little faster."

"I have no habit of listening to what street sluts tell me to do."

"How wonderful, because I'm not a slut, let alone a street slut. My fiance fought in the war, Mr. Campbell, you should have more regard for the man's woman who did what you didn't have the courage to do. "

The fury in the inspector's eyes was very visible, Bella held a small smile on her lips that would make the devil himself want to wrap his hands around her neck and suffocate her to death. It was in her nature to put more alcohol on the fire and watch it rise, Chester Campbell's men were there, rummaging through her office and she doubted that his 'masculine pride' would lead him to assault her in any way.

And since she knew men like him, all he did was pry up his chin in a failed attempt to hold back that remnant of honor his subordinates seemed to believe he had.

"We didn't find anything, sir." One of his men spoke broke the silence after opening the door to Bella's office.

Bella smiled broadly, resting her elbows on the table and her chin on her interlaced fingers.

"Have a good trip back, Mr. Inspector." She said last.

"Let's leave this house of perdition. "

Despite her confident posture, she couldn't spare the sigh of relief when Inspector Campbell left her theater. Her hands were shaking a little, nervous about the situation and anxiety about the possibility of Tommy being killed by those damn weapons.

Bella tried to distract her mind with the men who knew of the rumor Johnny Doggs had spread about her hiring men. And as the morning passed by, she tried harder not to have to remember the anger she was feeling for the disgusting man entering her theater without her permission.

Rebecca brought her some invitations, among them, Isabella was surprised to see that it was related to a horse race in Cheltenham. She carefully thought it interesting that a Cheltenham event wanted the presence of her girls, the only famous criminal family with whom she had a contract were the Santini, being in an event where several rich criminals were looking for entertainment, it didn't seem like a bad deal .

It was possible that Tommy was already aware of the Cheltenham race, Bella didn't know if it would be safe for the Shelby to attend this event after Tommy manipulated a run of Billy Kimber, on the other hand was certain that he would not let go simply because Billy Kimber would be there.

Bella put the envelope inside the drawer, tracing it and getting up, she had enough for one day and had to rest her mind before thinking of any other strategy to expand her business. She was stepping on thin glass, with Inspector Campbell wandering around behind the guns, and she being listed as Tommy's accomplice just for being his fiancé (which was true, but it didn't help).

Bella knew she had to be calm and patient, and she had to retreat from her advances until the waters were calm.

"Are you leaving so soon?" Rebecca asked walking beside her as she walked to the theater door.

"Yes, keep me updated on the new fabrics for the girls' clothes and order a telephone," she gave the instructions without stopping walking. "Oh, and help me find someone who can type, I do not have time to sit down and write my own letters."

"They say that Lizzie Stark knows how to type," Rebecca said giving a little teasing smile, near the door to the exit, Bella stopped and looked up thoughtfully.

"You can ask someone to talk to Lizzie Stark then."

"I thought you'd be jealous." Rebecca folded her arms in surprise. "Was not she the one who warmed Tommy's bed after the war?"

There was nothing the prostitutes in Small Heath didn't know.

Bella didn't like to think about that period of time, the interval of a few months when Tommy didn't address her and they treated themselves as strangers. Those months when she did not press him on his promise and patiently waited for him to make the decision to go to her.

Well, those months he'd consoled himself with Lizzie Stark.

"Tommy is not a thing, Rebecca." Bella took the gloves from the bag and slipped them into her thin hands as she spoke. "He's only going to her if he wants to go, if I have to deprive myself of hiring someone competent just because I'm jealous, I've never really been ready to run this place."

She walked through Garrison's back home, the air was icy and the smell of smoke filled the streets as it always did. As absorbed as she was in her thoughts, she did not see as Tommy approached, he started to walk beside her and Bella raised an eyebrow when she saw him with his hands in his pockets and stared straight ahead.

The young woman stopped walking.

"I thought the visits were reserved for one night every year," said for the visitor, the man was walking a few more steps before stopping and turning, walking back slowly and stopping in front of her.

"You are beautiful today."

Even suspicious of praise, she did not restrain her small smile.

"I'm beautiful every day, but thank you," she teased. "Did something happen?"

"Come with me," he said, resuming his steps in the middle of the sentence.

Finding the idea amusing, she followed.

"What? Are you going to give me something? "She teased, leaning over to try to see what kind of expression he was making. "I hope they are pearls."

"Is that what you wanted? Pearls? "Tommy asked without looking at her.

Bella shrugged.

"It would not be so bad would it? Someone once told me that pearls matched me. "

Tommy nodded quietly and seeming not to care much, Bella recognized the path that followed as the road to Charlie's yard.

"What have we come here to do?" she walked a little faster to stand in front of Tommy, taking a few steps back to try to find out about her goal of taking her there. "Hey, Mr. Shelby, is this some kind of gangster way to please a girl?"

"I thought I already was please you a lot" he told her and Bella laughed.

"Do you think that? I've barely met you since you came back," she shook her head.

They got close enough to see the canal after they got into the junkyard, Bella stopped walking when Tommy stopped and looked around curiously.

"Bell girl, how long?" Charlie greeted wiping his hands as he approached.

"Hello, Uncle Charlie," Bella greeted back, smiling broadly.

"Ask Curly to bring it." Tommy told Charlie without giving Bella even a hint of what it was about.

"Oh, she'll like it," Charlie said, nodding and turning.

"What, what am I going to like?" she asked Tommy curiously as a child, the gangster just lit a cigarette.

"There" he pointed behind her, releasing the smoke he had inspired.

Bella turned, eyes widening as she saw the target white horse being brought by Curly. She laughed with excitement, glancing quickly at Tommy and then at the animal again.

"Oh God." She came close carefully not to startle him, then put her fingertips on her muzzle and slipped her hand through his hair when he looked calm enough. "When did you buy it?"

"I didn't buy it." Tommy came closer. "I won a bet."

"Oh, the things we win by betting," Bella murmured with a sweet smile, talking about herself.

"I always get good things in bets," Tommy said looking at her and also referring to her, Bella just continued stroking the horse, impressed.

"Ms. Bella really likes horses," Curly commented smiling and Bella smiled back.

"Ya' can leave, Curly," Tommy said, taking the man's place and taking the animal's cell.

Charlie waved for Curly to follow him and leave them alone, the man hesitated in his curiosity, but went to Charlie anyway.

"Did you give a name?" Bella asked, her almond-shaped hazel eyes staring at Tommy.

"No. You can give a name if you want."

"I can?"

"Go ahead."

She thought for a few seconds.

"How about ... White Marble?"

Tommy nodded, running his hand through the horse's haunches.

"That's a good name." he finally said. "You were always good at naming horses, Pol always said that should mean something."

"I have a feeling this is Tommy Shelby trying to be a gentleman." Bella whispered to Tommy.

"I thought that was what you liked." he whispered back.

"My likes include bad men and people saying I'm right."

"I'm making it work, then."

"It's said about being a bad man, maybe, but it's been a long time since you gave me some reason." They began to walk, the horse's hooves slammed to the ground.

"Ya' don't need me to say you're right, Bella. Ya'know you are."

Bella rolled over, placing her own hand on Tommy's hand that held the horse's saddle and pushing her body toward his, laying her lips over his lips and feeling the smell of nicotine coming from his clothes.

Tommy tried to pull her closer by holding his waist with his free hand, but Bella pulled away too soon.

"Inspector Campbell came to my theater today," she revealed with her eyes closed, and Tommy raised his eyebrows. "I'm worried about you, Tommy. Do not believe anything this man says, I saw in his eyes, he's a man without a word."

"Are you alright?" Tommy asked without mentioning what she had advised him to do.

Bella nodded, opening her eyes.

"I'm fine, but I'm afraid for you and your family, don't tease this man, Tom, please."

He kissed her cheek and then her lips, it lasted little, but Bella valued more than any other material gift he gave her.

"Don't worry about it, I'll take care of it. I'll make sure he doesn't get close to you again."

Bella smiled.

"I trust you." Bella said putting her hand on his cheek. "And you should show this worried side more, I found it very interesting."

"I don't know you would have agreed to be my fiancée if I was less than that." he spoke to her, looking less dense than he usually was. "Or maybe you look for the one that said about pearls matching with you."

Bella let out a short laugh.

"Are you still thinking about it? Really, you're a puzzle, Thomas."

He kissed her smiling lips and Bella could feel his lips trailing in a small smile hidden by the kiss.

The horse — now christened White Marble — whinnied raising its front paws off the ground, Bella pulled away a little and Tommy calmed him by holding his cell and stroking the horse's face.

Bella remembered falling in love with him that way when she saw him assaulting a man who was trying to beat a horse. Bella was coming back from the seamstress with her grandmother, when their gazes met in the street.

At that time, the kind of look he had was soft, placid. It was like quiet waves hiding a storm, and Bella wanted to come close and understand that look.

And even if she didn't fully understand today, she liked to think that she was now part of his storm.

"Take him for a ride," she said, standing upright and a little away from him so she could soothe White Marble again.

"I'm going to your house tonight." Tommy told her when Bella started to walk away to the exit of the Charlie's yard.

She smiled beautifully, nodding and looking back.

That night she went home and waited a little anxiously for him to keep his promise and come to her. Realizing that he would not, Bella locked the door and lay down on the bed, her heart feeling disappointed as every other time when it came to Tommy.

The worst came in the morning when she arrived at the theater, she was in her office when Delilah — one of her dancers — claimed to have seen something in the street that Bella wanted to know.

"Me and Mary came from Lauriel's house last night when we saw Tommy Shelby coming out of The Garrison with the new barmaid. We thought we should tell."

Bella lowered her eyelids and smiled sadly.

"Yes. Thank you, Delilah."

It could be nothing.

It could only be a kindness.

But Tommy was rarely gentle, let alone a woman who didn't care.

She sank into her work so she would not have to think that the love of her life was giving her another of his famous disappointments.

[author's note]

bella and tommy are very complicated couple, hm? I like conflict, even though I'm a bit sorry for having to make Bella suffer. she's my first anti-heroine character, and I loved writing her in that chapter.

a special thanks to those who voted and commented in the previous chapter!

please, comment on what you think about this story! give me a margin over what you like in this and if there is someone reading it, so I can improve and also be more motivated to write :D Let a vote before you go, to help the story to grow!

I'll meet you in the next chapter

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

369K 16.3K 51
( 𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐌𝐘 𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐁𝐘 ) 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘴 𝘪 𝘢𝘮. ( tommy shelby x beatrice price...
2M 46.6K 51
Because every girl needs their own prince charming, but some girls need their own birmingham gangster. •BOOK ONE COMPLETED• •SEASON ONE- SEASON TWO...
89.5K 2.1K 19
What would happen if Polly's daughter had survived rather than her son? What would happen if Michael wasn't a Shelby but instead fell for one? - Mich...
168K 3.7K 24
The Shelby brothers, The Peaky Blinders and her.