The Madness Within- Jeremiah...

Par StoryBat129

Clarissa stood beside Jerome through his best and worst moments. She was his queen, and now she's lost her ki... Plus

Her Name is Clarissa
Mr Valeska
Tense
Breaking Down
Locked Up
Brother's Desire
Bye Bye
Loyalties
A Little Push
Blowing up the Tower
50 Million
Videos and Dreaming
Fire and Fury
The Beginning of Something Great
Beauty and the Psycho
Black Coffee, Two Sugars
Dearest
Tick Tick
The Gangs All Here
Curious
Author Note

Secrets of our Present and Past

592 19 0
Par StoryBat129

Bruce was due to be at Jeremiah's lab that evening, and Clarissa woke up later than she had wanted to, after a fitful sleep. There were shadows under eyes, and she was still quite tired when she woke up and got dressed. Rolling out of bed, Clarissa noticed that the window was open, which it hadn't been last night. A bolt of fear shot through her heart, and she rolled over to find the tape player where it had been under her mattress. It wasn't there, and Clarissa remembered she'd taken out and frantically searched around for it. She swore quietly under her breath and muttered ''Selina.''

She should've shown Bruce last night. Clarissa got dressed in an anxious flurry, and slipped out the door. Neither Bruce or Selina were anywhere to be seen, and Clarissa wondered in Selina would keep the tape player in her room. Unsure, she ran out to the bus stop and caught the bus that would take her nearest to Jeremiah's. It was still a twenty minute walk, but it was better than an hour and a half. A few women on the bus watched her curiously, and Clarissa pulled her hair over her face to shield herself. Getting off the bus she walked quickly, glancing around her to make sure no-one was following her. She was lucky, and slipped into the driveway of Jeremiah's house without any hassle. The door was unlocked for her, and Clarissa wasn't surprised when she found Jeremiah waiting for her. The generator sat in the middle of the room still, and Clarissa noticed her clipboard laying on the table beside him.

''Sorry I'm late, Jeremiah.''

''It's ok. I actually wanted to talk to you, anyway.''

Clarissa felt nervous, and wondered what he wanted to say.

''Ok...?'' she said quietly, and Jeremiah smiled.

''You noticed the box yesterday, and I thought I should tell you the truth about it. I think you know what it is, anyway.''

''Me?''

Jeremiah took a deep breath.

''I don't know what my brother told you about his plans. But, the box was from him, and it sprayed me with his insanity gas.''

Clarissa stared at him. He looked normal, and at first she was confused.

''I thought-''

''He told you about his plans?''

''Not in detail.''

He believed her. It was clear on his face, and Clarissa felt her heart rate become normal for the first time that morning.

''Did it work?'' 

''I'm not sure. I don't think so, but there was a physical alteration.''

Carefully, Jeremiah wiped a spot on his cheek, revealing stark white skin below. Clarissa new it would happen, she'd seen it when she and Jerome had tested the gas from Scarecrow. Jeremiah took out a tube of foundation and held it out to Clarissa. 

''Oh...ok.''

She took the tube, and stepped closer to him, slowly covered the spot on his cheek, blending it in until it looked normal. The heat from his body was a little uncomfortable and yet so familiar. She shuddered, and backed away. 

''Thank you.''

''Jeremiah.''

''Yes?''

It was only fair.

''Jerome left me a message. To carry on his plans. And I think, the insanity gas was his plan.''

Jeremiah nodded in agreement. 

''So do I. But we can't let Bruce know.''

''Why?''

Jeremiah sighed, and cleaned his glasses as he spoke, his voice even.

''Do you really think that if people knew what Jerome had done they would trust me?''

Clarissa considered this for a moment, and came to the conclusion that they wouldn't. Jeremiah was in the same position that she herself was. Association with Jerome would install distrust in the general public. Sympathy bubbled up in her chest for him, and burst as he turned towards her with sudden intensity in his face. He was decently taller than her, and looked down at her out of his bright green eyes. Clarissa's heart beat faster.

''Do you trust me, Clarissa?'' he asked quietly, his voice deadly serious. A seed of doubt planted itself in Clarissa's mind. Had he really not been affected by the insanity gas?

She nodded silently, and Jeremiah leant back, smiling. He seemed normal again, but the shockwaves of his sudden change of character still rippled through the room. Awkwardly, Clarissa ran her fingers through her hair, while Jeremiah silently watched her. His mind was battling itself. He'd revealed his darkest secret to a girl who had been the lover of his late twin, and now was trying to decide whether he should truly trust her or not. He remembered Clarissa from when she was little, before he had escaped from the circus. She'd been good at playing innocent. Was she still like that? Or would he need to take action?

''Final preparations?'' he asked casually, changing the subject. Clarissa nodded, turning around to face the generator, still slightly unsure of Jeremiah. She began carefully examining each section, taking notes. The wires, the bolts, the mother board. All in perfect working order. 

''We'll be able to change the world, you and I,'' said Jeremiah.

''How do you mean?'' asked Clarissa, bending down to check the base of the generator. Behind her, Jeremiah cleaned his glasses with his handkerchief, and then winced.

''Jeremiah?''

Jeremiah was silent for a few moments, breathing heavily with his eyes shut. Finally he spoke. 

''I- I keep seeing Jerome. The insanity gas. He said it was a special mixture just for me.''

I'm not surprised he is, dollface. You'll have him wrapped around your finger.

''I know the feeling.''

Jeremiah leant against the table behind him, and Clarissa stopped her note taking to keep him company. His green eyes were focused on the wall opposite, and his hands clasped the wood of the table. It was silent between them, and Clarissa wondered what was going on in Jeremiah's head.

''I can see why Jerome found you so attractive,'' he said.

''Oh-''

''I'm sorry. I just noticed it now.''

Clarissa's face flushed pink as she glanced sideways at Jeremiah. 

''I just- why?''

Jeremiah sighed.

''Remember when you found out I was leaving the circus?''

''Yes.''

''You were supportive of my decision, no matter what. The same stood true for my brother. You did anything for him, and now, even though you know what he's done to me, you don't run.''

''I have my own secrets.''

''I know you do.''

Jeremiah reached behind him, and took out a small bound book that Clarissa immediately recognized. It was Jerome's. The book he's written everything in, his plans, his dreams, his death list. She'd tried to find it once, keep it, but it must have been taken by the police. Without thinking she snatched it from Jeremiah's hands and held it to her chest. She knew what else was in those pages, but Jeremiah's face was unreadable.

''I've read it all, Clarissa.''

The beating heart in Clarissa's chest became a stampede of frightened animals as he stared at the book in her hands. Had Jeremiah read about what happened to Clarissa's parents. 

''You know it all? Everything he did?''

''And what you did as well. You're very confused, and not as innocent as people say.''

''At first, no. But-''

''You don't need to explain it. I've seen the truth.''

Clarissa waited for him to say the words. Turn her in to Captain Gordon, and destroy her patchy, if lacking friendship with Bruce. He was the only one who believed her. But would it stay that way?

''I wanted to be part of their lives. When they rejected me...I..it hurt. Jerome took care of them for me.''

''You don't react well to rejection. I know that better than anyone.''

Jeremiah's face was kind again, and he looked more understanding than anything else, but hidden in his eyes, they never softened, and remained wide and dangerous as they had when he'd lost his composure. 

Clarissa had never liked wearing her little black dress, parading across a stage doing the same tricks over and over. She wanted to be something, impress Mr Ereni, make her own magic. But he'd never let her branch out. She'd always have to hold the doors, the rabbits, smile and wave as if she had no cares in the world. That faux performance couldn't be further from the truth. She'd watched Jerome be beaten by his mother countless times, watched Jeremiah try to escape from the cage that was his life. The scar across her back had taken weeks to heal, that one time she'd tried to protect Jerome and not hidden behind Jeremiah. 

''Halliwell?'' came the gruff voice, and Clarissa looked down as Mr Ereni's tall skinny frame came into view between the rows of seats. Clarissa had been hiding, drawing quietly on a scrap of paper she'd found and a red pen left over from the audience. 

''Yes Mr Ereni, sir?'' she asked.

''Where's the Valeska boy?''

Clarissa bit her tongue. She hadn't seen Jerome that morning, she'd been so busy trying perfect her training in the hopes she could be allowed to perform on her own. She was seven now, surely she was old enough.

''I don't know, sir. I've been here all morning.''

''Why?''

''I wanted to practice, I want to show you a trick!''

Mr Ereni looked impatient.

''We've discussed this, Halliwell. You follow me, and you never. Never. Lead. You should learn this.''

''Sir-''

''Ah.''

He held up a finger, and Clarissa was quiet for a moment.

''You never listen!'' she said, and her fist closed around the pen in her hand, the knuckles turning white. Jeremiah's face appeared behind them, his glasses slightly crooked.

''Clarissa!'' he said, but she wasn't listening.

''You never let me try, never give me any chances!''

Storming up to Mr Ereni, who until then had been watching Clarissa with stern disapproval, she stabbed the pen as hard as she could into his side, surprised when he leapt back with a furious howl.

''You little bitch!'' he snarled, and Jeremiah ran forwards to pull Clarissa to safety.

''I'll get you,'' hissed Mr Ereni, tossing the pen aside as Clarissa burst into angry tears. Jeremiah pulled her into a tight hug and lead her away as the tears splashed down Clarissa's pale face. Her hair, slung down her back into two low hanging pig-tails, swayed as she walked, her hand clasping Jeremiah's. 

''I had a short temper back then,'' Clarissa admitted sheepishly, and Jeremiah nodded in agreement.

''I was there for you then. It was the last moment we had together before I left. I bought you a candy apple to make you smile again. Then Jerome found you, took you away.''

''His father....though...we didn't know at the time that Mr Cicero was your father.''

''I guess you're right. I never thought of it that way.''

Clarissa went on.

''He read my fortune, said I was destined to make a name for myself. I guess with Jerome I did.''

''I missed you. You've changed,'' said Jeremiah softly, turning his gaze on Clarissa as she stood beside him, her hair fanning over her shoulders and her neat red suit jacket in perfect order. She was so different now. She'd dated a psychopath. Jeremiah's own flesh and blood, and it was clear that the memory of Jerome still stained her mind. He'd change that, make her someone she could be proud of, along side him their work would be something nobody would forget. Ever. 

''Bruce should be here soon,'' he said. ''I'll call Ecco to ensure he arrives.''

''Ecco?''

''My assistant. She'd clever and useful in her own way, though, her handwriting is a little messy.''

Clarissa smiled slightly at this, and looked down at Jerome's book again, not noticing the twisted grin that flashed across Jeremiah's face. 

---------

Author Note

Ok, so it's starting to get there. Feel free to give any small ideas you'd like to see this story head to. Of course I won't be able to get all of them involved, but I'll be greatful for the support. This story is as much for you guys as it is for me. Also, this was more of a filler chapter, and the main action will start next chapter. 

StoryBat129

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

12K 375 32
After Jeremiah had turned Gotham into an isolated island from the world, a series of catastrophic events followed. The time has come back from saving...
106K 2.4K 32
She grew up in Gotham. He's a circus freak. She's been exposed to crime and insanity all her life but will meeting Jerome give the word insanity a...
4.2K 91 42
You fall into the wonderfully, scary and twisted world of Gotham's most dangerous twins Jerome and Jeremiah Valeska, meet some OG characters and meet...
345 12 9
" They became the Queen & King of Gotham' & may God help anyone who disrespected the Queen. "