This Life (COMPLETED)

By xojjuliaxo

Book 2 of the Next Life Trilogy: It's been three years. Three years since Alexander proposed. Three years si... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Chapter 22

33 3 0
By xojjuliaxo

Chapter 22

"Martha," I whisper as Kain stares blankly at the letter. His eyes snap to mine with a remorseful look.

"How would she have known about that? Martha died nearly two years after she was stabbed," Kain says as we walk into the apartment. I wasn't sure where Alexander was, but I knew he wasn't home since his car wasn't in the parking lot. It was probably for the best that he isn't here.

"I don't know, but how does she even know who we really are? If she knows that then I'm assuming she knows a lot more then we think."

Kain groans in frustration and puts the letter on the coffee table. I quickly pick it up and grab a lighter from the kitchen to burn it like I did with the others. Kain watches me skeptically. I watch the letter begin to burn as the door suddenly opens. I see Kain's eyes widen in shock. I quickly toss the burning letter into the sink and turn the water on.

Alexander walks through the door looking completely and utterly worn out. His beard has grown longer, his hair was disheveled and he had large bags beneath his eyes. But it was the bottle of whiskey in his hand that made me aware of just how defeated he was.

"I hope you weren't drinking and driving," is the first thing that comes out of my mouth.

His jaw clenches. "It's not even open," he holds the bottle up to me.

"Oh," I whisper.

He chuckles darkly. "It's nice to see you too Charlie."

I immediately feel guilty for how I'm acting. I didn't mean to come across like that the words had just slipped out of my mouth. I was worried about him and after how things have been between us, even before Luna was taken seeing the alcohol made me upset.

"Welcome back Kain," he adds with a fake smile plastered on his face. He walks into the kitchen, turning the sink off without questioning the bit of smoke that still floated out of it. He walked around me and grabbed a glass before pouring himself some of the whiskey. He suddenly looks up at the both of us who stare at him apprehensively, "Oh how rude of me! Would either of you like a glass?"

I frown and shake my head. This wasn't my Alexander, I didn't recognize this man standing in front of me. He downs a glass of whiskey as Kain turns down his offer. He pours another glass and walks into the living room sitting on the chair across from Kain. I quickly take the soaked paper from the sink and toss the remains in the garbage before taking the only seat left, beside Kain.

Alexander looks between the two of us and laughs humorlessly again. "It looks like I'm your father meeting your boyfriend for the first time before he takes you on a date."

I scrunch my eyebrows in irritation even if to an outside person it might actually look like that, but the fact that Alex is addressing it after not caring for so long about our age gap makes me uncomfortable. And with the history Kain and I have it makes this all the more awkward.

"Alex please don't be like this," I whisper.

His blue eyes surrounded by a tired and alcohol-induced redness stare into mine. A wave of sadness and pain pass through them before he quickly freezes them over so I can no longer read him. "Be like what Charlotte? My daughter is missing still and my fiancée or ex-fiancee," he furrows his eyebrows in frustration, "just got back from a trip to Africa to get her old lover who can apparently get my daughter back."

I frown knowing how much I'm hurting him. "I'm so sorry Alexander..."

He avoids my eyes and looks to Kain, "So Kain, what is it that you can do better than me huh? Why are you more capable of finding my daughter than I am?" His voice is slowly rising.

I look at Kain and he's already looking at me. "We should tell him Charlotte."

"Tell me what?" Alex grunts.

I wanted to leave him out of this, but maybe there was no way to...

I nod at Kain before looking down at my folded hands on my lap. I didn't want to see Alex's reaction when he finds out what I've been keeping from him.

"We know who took Luna," Kain starts and I flinch when I hear Alexander's reaction.

"You what?" He roars. "How the—who the—Fucking hell Charlotte how could you keep this from me are you fucking crazy?"

"Look just calm down so I can explain," Kain tries, but it only fuels the fire.

"Calm down? Calm down! You want me to calm down? That's my fucking daughter out there!"

I see the anger build in Kain, "Luna is one of my best friends and Charlotte's daughter as well so don't dare think for a second that she wasn't doing everything in her power to get Luna back!"

My heart warms involuntarily as Kain defends me. I sneak a look at Alex and his anger seems to be fading into sadness. "Then why would you go around my back? Why wouldn't you tell me? Why do we not have her back if you know where she is?" The questions are directed at me this time.

I gulp and feel my eyes water. "I don't know where she is, I just know who took her, which I didn't actually know until I got Kain's help. Her name is Matilda Crow."

Alex shakes his head in disbelief not understanding. "How do you know this? Fuck Charlotte what is going on? Tell me everything now, don't leave anything out," he says sternly.

"Well it all started when I got a letter a couple weeks ago..." I start and then proceeded to tell him everything.

When I finish we sit in silence as Alex processes everything. "So you're saying we have two weeks to find Luna or they'll kill her..."

The tears that were floating around my eyes finally spill over. "I'm so sorry Alex, this is all my fault."

He frowns when he sees me crying. Kain places a hand on my shoulder in comfort and this makes Alex's frown deepen. "It's not your fault," Kain says.

I abruptly stand up, his hand dropping onto the couch. "Yes it is! She would have never been taken if it weren't for me! Why else would they threaten me? They obviously want me for whatever reason! This is my fault!" I yell at them hysterically.

Kain and Alex both stare at me not knowing what to say, probably because they realize I'm right. I'm beginning to think this is deeper than we are thinking. This woman knows about our past, but how? This all has to have something to do with that right?

"We'll get her back," Kain finally says.

"And how do you suggest we do that?" Alex remarks sarcastically.

"We know who took Luna and we know they have to be close enough that she can send one of her henchmen to deliver letters and keep an eye on Charlie," Kain says. I shiver at the thought of being watched.

"But how do you know she doesn't just have one of her henchmen stationed her when she could be across the world?" Alex shoots back.

"The notes are written by her so unless her henchman is flying across the world everyday I think it's safe to say she isn't far."

"Well even if she isn't that far that could still mean anywhere in a few hours radius of us. That doesn't exactly narrow down our search," Alex retorts again.

Kain frowns knowing he's right.

"I think it has something to do with mine and Kain's past," I finally put in my input.

They both look to me in question. "This lady knows all about me and Kain, so I think where she's keeping Luna could also have something to do with our past." It was only a fleeting thought that crossed my mind when I was listening to them argue, but saying it aloud, it makes more sense.

"But what about our past? We were living in North Carolina, you think she's that far?" Kain asks.

"I don't know, maybe not..." I mutter, growing confused myself.

Alexander groans and rubs his hands over his face. "This is all too much to take right now, I need to sleep."

"Yeah that's probably a good idea. I haven't slept in nearly twenty four hours," Kain agrees, well that's a first.

"You can stay in Luna's old room," Alex mutters looking too tired to care. For a moment I stand frozen as Alex makes his way to our—his room and Kain hesitates looking at me. "You coming?" Alex finally turns to look at me and I don't know what to do. My eyes dart to Kain who looks at me in concern before going back to Alexander. His eyes fill with understanding and pain. "Right, uh I guess her bed is big enough for two..."

Oh! He thought I wanted to stay with Kain when really I didn't know where him and I stood..."Actually I'm just going to stay on the couch," I tell him and he looks at me unsure.

"No I'll stay on the couch you stay in Luna's room," Kain inserts.

We all just stand awkwardly before I rush off to get extra blankets and pillows. Kain and Alex seem to be having a stare down when I get back, only looking away when I clear my throat.

"Thanks," Kain says as he takes the blanket and pillow from me and starts setting it on the couch.

I look to Alex who stands there staring at me with a lost look. "Well, um, goodnight," I say quietly.

Kain smiles at me as he sits on the couch under the blanket. "Goodnight darling."

I smile back and look back to Alexander who is staring blankly at the floor. He looks back to me with a forced smile, "Goodnight my Charlie."

My cheeks flush as the two men stare at me. I quickly turn on my heel and head into Luna's old room. Well this was... something... 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

274K 6.5K 13
Matt and Veronica shared a love story. A love story that failed to have a happy ever after. Both of them thought it would end that way… Until they le...
13.5K 309 25
Have you ever hated a job so much that you have vivid dreams about your company's demise? Or how about actively imagining ways to harm your Boss bec...
47.3K 1.9K 82
This is the 3rd book to my series it's a follow up from " still stuck" soo if Yu did not read that please do so and come back 😂💕
20.4K 401 42
While Amelia and Prince Alexander prepare for their wedding, tradgedy strikes in a nearby kingdom leading them to be once more sperated from each oth...