The Quest

By delusional_wanderer

Alannah is no stranger to adventure, having been raised by the wizard, Gandalf the Grey. Having little memor... More

Prologue: The tale of Galadhel & Alatar
The Quest: Chapter 1
The Quest: Chapter 2
The Quest: Chapter 3
The Quest: Chapter 4
The Quest: Chapter 5
The Quest: Chapter 6
The Quest: Chapter 7
The Quest: Chapter 8
The Quest: Chapter 9
The Quest: Chapter 10
The Quest: Chapter 11
The Quest: Chapter 12
The Quest: Chapter 13
The Quest: Chapter 14
The Quest: Chapter 15
The Quest: Chapter 16
The Quest: Chapter 17
The Quest: Chapter 18
The Quest: Chapter 19
The Quest: Chapter 20
The Quest: Chapter 21
The Quest: Chapter 22
The Quest: Chapter 23
The Quest: Chapter 24
The Quest: Chapter 25
The Quest:Chapter 26
The Quest: Chapter 27
The Quest: Chapter 28
The Quest: Chapter 29
The Quest: Chapter 30
The Quest: Chapter 31
The Quest: Chapter 32
The Quest: Chapter 33
The Quest: Chapter 34
The Quest: Chapter 35
The Quest: Chapter 36
The Quest: Chapter 37
The Quest: Chapter 38
The Quest: Chapter 39
The Quest: Chapter 40
The Quest Chapter 41
The Quest: Chapter 42
The Quest: Chapter 43
The Quest Chapter 44
The Quest Chapter 45
The Quest Chapter 46
The Quest Chapter 47
The Quest: Chapter 48
The Quest Chapter 49
The Quest: Chapter 51
THE QUEST: Chapter 52
Epilogue: We're here

The Quest Chapter 50

2.8K 112 39
By delusional_wanderer

The days following Alannah's departure from Middle Earth were the most lonesome days Legolas had ever lived in his long life. After she and his father left Lothlorien, Legolas spared no time to leave the beautiful elven city and rode his horse home, unable to stand the memories any longer. Upon arrival to the tree house in Ithilien, the heartache didn't cease as every tree, room and object left a distinct trace of her. Legolas took his time assimilating to their home without his wife and son by staying inside, no longer going outside to enjoy the forest or the beautiful lands they had helped to replenish.

After a week of remaining in the enormous and empty treehouse, a loud knock on the front door early one morning startled Legolas out of his sleep. It took every ounce of energy he had to pull himself from the bed where he had clutched Alannah's pillow every night to his chest, hoping the scent of lilies and parchment would remain until he was rejoined to her once again. Legolas rubbed his eyes as he trudged down the stairs, wondering what one of the elves in the settlement could possibly need for disturbing him so early when he had given strict orders to not be disturbed.

"I asked not to be bothered right now. What is requi..." Legolas stopped speaking as he rubbed the sleep and sadness from his eyes. No one was at the door so he turned to walk back inside when a gruff familiar voice yelled at him.

"What happened to that perfect elvish eyesight?" Gimli yelled as he grumpily walked into the treehouse.

"Hello Gimli." Legolas welcomed with a melancholy tone. "I'm not up for visitors right now. I'm sorry you've travelled such a long way."

Gimli sighed as he turned and looked at Legolas. He sat down his axe and large bag and sat himself down in a nearby chair, ignoring Legolas's last statement.

"I've come to pay my respects to your boy. He was a mighty warrior and well loved." Gimli said as he wiped a tear from his eye. "I'm sorry to hear that Alannah left these lands. She was loved as well."

Legolas's always pristine posture slumped as he sat crossed legged in the floor, burying his face in his hands as he wept.

"The two people I loved more than anything in this world are gone, Gimli. My heart is pained more than I can bear!" Legolas cried. Sadness overcame Gimli as he watched his friend come undone on the floor of his grand home, a prince all alone in his palace. He cleared his throat as he felt tears threaten to spill from his own eyes while he walked over to Legolas and placed his gloved hand on his shoulder.

"Get yourself up lad." Gimli asserted. "I don't know much about you elf folk, but I hear your boy will be brought back. Am I correct in that?" The dwarf asked. Legolas nodded his head but still, the tears were flowing. "And our dear Alannah, your wife is not dead but alive. Just across the sea and waiting for you?"

"Yes, she is. But I wish she was here! She belongs here, in Ithilien with me and our son." Legolas wept as he fingered his gold wedding band.

"Why did she leave?" Gimli asked as he returned to his seat and lit a pipe. Legolas finally wiped the tears from his eyes and pulled himself to stand, still not having regained his regal posture.

"I sent her away, to the Undying Lands. If she was to remain she would have perished. You didn't see how she had become after Oryn's death, Gimli. So withdrawn and absent. She would stare at nothing for hours without speaking, barely blinking and rarely eating. I've never seen someone look so lost in their own home. Every inch of her body I know intimately, and she became a stranger. Even when we'd make love, it was as if she wasn't even here. If I was to keep her here, it would have been the most selfish thing to do. That is why she is gone. In Valinor she will be restored, she will be my Alannah again." Legolas explained passionately. Gimli let out a long breath after Legolas had finished, the information an overload to him.

"Aye. You did the right thing." Gimli said as he puffed on his pipe, trying to hide his own tears as he wiped them away. "Have you heard anymore from your father then?" He asked, looking for any sort of distraction from the emotional conversation. Legolas shook his head as he looked out the window worriedly.

"No. He was supposed to come straight here after he escorted Alannah to the Grey Havens. I've sent a messenger to the Woodland Realm to see if he has returned there instead." Legolas explained before slamming his fist into the wall. Gimli jumped at the elf's sudden outburst, used to seeing his friend calm and collected. "He was hardly ever there for me!" Legolas yelled angrily. "Things were going so well with him since Alannah and I married, nothing like it was before. But now he cant even keep his word now when I need him the most."

Gimli huffed as he stood and walked over to Legolas, urging him to sit down.

"You need to calm those pointy ears lady before the steam in your head blows them right off!" Gimli warned as Legolas sat down, still fuming for what fate has dealt him in his life. Gimli stood on his tip toes to look outside, watching as various elves began to gather around at the sound of commotion coming from within. "I'll stay here with you until your father arrives. If anything, it'll be quite enjoyable to see the elf king get his knickers in a twist by my being here."

Legolas rolled his eyes before finally cracking a smile at Gimli's optimism despite the circumstances.

"Thanks Gimli, it would indeed be enjoyable."

~

The boat had finally made contact with land, sending a sudden jolt throughout the cabin. Alannah clutched Thranduil's hand as she looked at him with a look of questioning uncertainty. He too returned the same expression as he gripped her hand into his, knowing he had made the right decision to go with her to Valinor.

"Our time has come, child." Thranduil stated as he stood and smoothed out the wrinkles in his regal robes. "Let us be rejoined with our loved ones and kin."

Alannah let go of his hand and bent over, hugging her knees as her head began to swim. Her thoughts had been focused on Legolas since she stepped onto the ship, wondering if she had made the right decision to leave him behind.

"What if I've made a mistake?" Alannah asked as she watched a tear drop onto the dark wooden floor beneath her feet. "My heart aches for Legolas, but it aches more so for Oryn."

Thranduil's jaw visibly tensed as he thought of his only son, left in Arda completely alone. He quickly sat back down beside Alannah, lifting her chin to look at him.

"My heart aches for Legolas and Oryn as well." He said softly. "But it aches for you as well."

Alannah looked up at him, surprised by the softness of his voice. Thranduil straightened his posture as he sat, still unable to shake the kingliness he had grown accustomed to. "I was unsure of you from the moment you entered my realm all those years ago. A half-elf bearing no lands or titles, nothing. In my eyes you were not a suitable match for my son." He began. "But it wasn't Legolas's persistence that proved me otherwise, it was you. You were willing to bear your deepest pains to me. You were raw, ruthless, and brave. You became the queen to his king in Ithilien. So, lift your head child and join me as we start a new adventure. Legolas will be along soon, I'm sure of it."

Alannah nodded her head as she wiped her eyes, trying to remember that strong person she was long ago. It seemed like such a distant memory to her, a character she had read in one of her books that faded away with time. She took hold of Thranduil's outstretched hand and walked over to exit the ship, knowing once she stepped ashore that nothing would ever be the same.

Once the curtain pulled back, she squeezed Thranduil's hand tightly as a flash of warm bright light blinded her, followed by the sweet sound of elven song and calming ocean air. Without hesitation she stepped off of the ship, leaving her inhibitions behind her.

~

Years passed as Legolas continued to rule in Ithilien, after having realized where his father had went to. He authorized scouts to travel to Mirkwood, Lothlorien and finally to the Grey Havens, only for them to report back to him what he soon had expected. He forgave him of course, his heart happy and at peace that Alannah had not took to the sea alone. Perhaps, he considered it to be the best thing Thranduil could have done for him as his father.

Gimli visited often, making sure not to let Legolas grow too lonely for too long. Legolas was grateful for the company, someone to keep his mind on the daily tasks of ruling the elven colony as well as making sure he got out to go on regular hunts and strolls through the forest when need be. Legolas even went as far as building Gimli his own quarters just near the main tree house so he didn't have to make the long trek back and forth to Erebor every visit. Some mornings, Legolas would look out his window to see Gimli disappearing into the forest, coming back before noon giving no hint as to where he had been. Legolas opted not to ask, assuming the dwarf was taking a liking to the soothing tranquility he and Alannah had made in the forests of Ithilien.

Often, they visited Minas Tirith together, aiding the aging Aragorn in the ruling of Gondor and to provide friendship and counsel when needed. On this particular occasion however, Gimli had invited several of his dwarf kin to Ithilien while Legolas travelled to Minas Tirith. Never had he seen so many dwarves in an elf colony before, not in many years he thought to himself as he entered the throne room.

"Mae govannen." Arwen greeted Legolas as he stepped into the throne room early one morning. Legolas bowed as he always did to the queen, and longtime friend.

"Mae govannen." Legolas responded as he glanced towards the empty throne. "Where is Aragorn?" He asked worriedly. Arwen looked down as she approached Legolas, radiating a somber vibration.

"He is in our chambers. I'm afraid, his time is almost over." She answered as she held back tears. Legolas took her in his arms, squeezing her tightly.

"May I see him?" He asked, his voice breaking as he choked back his own tears. Arwen nodded and stepped aside, knowing that the time had come for her as well to pay the price of her choice.

Legolas raced down the halls, stopping only for a moment when the smell of daisies and lilies flooded his nostrils. He closed his eyes and placed his hand on the door beside him, pushing it wide open. Legolas looked painfully into the chambers Alannah had once lived in, and they would later share together when they were in Minas Tirith. The room had been kept the same as it was left when they had last visited many years ago, save for a small vase of fresh cut lilies and daisies on the small table left in honor of Alannah. Legolas walked around the room, letting his fingers trace the table tops, the curtains, and the bed before he stepped in front of the large armoire. The hinges creaked as he opened the doors, noticing her favorite yellow dress still hanging up, the wine stain still clearly visible. He pulled the dress off the hanger and held it to his nose, closing his eyes as he began to weep. For far too long he had held in his heartbreak, the pain of being without his wife and suddenly, he understood the pain his father had carried on for years. Legolas composed himself as he neatly placed the dress back into the armoire before something pushed to the back caught his eye. He reached in and pulled out her own journals. He ran his fingers over the worn spines, opening it up and doing the same over the light impressions of her own handwriting. For a moment, he could almost hear her splashing in the tub as he did so long ago before slamming the journal shut and tucking it into his belt.

Legolas forced himself to leave the room, closing the door gently as if she was still inside sleeping. He made his way down to the royal halls, and finally to the king's private quarters.

"Aragorn?" Legolas called out softly as he entered the room. The curtains had been drawn closed and the room smelled of incense. Aragorn lay in the bed, his once dark hair now an aged shade of silver.

"Legolas." Aragorn muttered as he reached out to his ageless friend. Legolas ran to his bedside, taking his hand and clasping into his.

"Mellon nin." Legolas said softy as he sat beside him. Aragorn smiled when he heard Legolas's voice.

"Yes, mellon nin, my friend." Aragorn chuckled before closing his eyes, enjoying the mere presence of his elf friend. "I'm sorry, Legolas." He said as he gripped his hand tighter.

Legolas furrowed his brow in confusion. "What do you have to apologize for?" Legolas asked worriedly, knowing Aragorn could never do anything to slight him. A stray tear rolled out of Aragorn's eye and landed on the pillow.

"For Oryn, and Alannah. It is my fault that the beautiful family you created is gone." Aragorn choked out. "Please forgive me. I never meant any harm to come to them." Aragorn's sobs filled the room as Legolas moved closer to wipe the tears away from Aragorn's aged face.

"No, Aragorn, no." Legolas said as he too began to weep. "Please tell me you've not been carrying a burden that was not yours all this time."

Aragorn shook his head. "That day, we came back and told her. Her scream. I've never been able to get that scream out my head." He let out a long sigh, his breath shaking. "My time here is almost over, my friend. When you see Alannah again, please give her this." Aragorn asked as he pulled a folded handkerchief from beneath his pillow. Legolas used his sleeve to wipe his own tears away as he opened it, a single cookie inside. "She will know. She will know."

Legolas nodded his head and placed it in his pocket as he felt Aragorn's grip on his hand loosen. Tears blurred Legolas's vision as he looked back to Aragorn, taking his last breath before passing on to lands unknown. He closed his eyes as Arwen entered the room, unable to offer her any comfort as he stepped out and made his way back to the throne room. Legolas wept as he ran through the doors and out to the gardens where the white tree of Gondor still stood. He bent over, placing his hands on his knees as he let out a pained scream. The guards did nothing, knowing all too well by the familiar elf's actions that the king had passed. Legolas took in deep breaths as his memories began to flood him, overwhelming him with emotion. Too much he had lost, everything he had lost he thought to himself as he forced himself from falling to the ground. He saw his tears dripping onto the ground, glistening on the white pavement in the sun.

A strange sound, a squawking above him in the sky managed to pull Legolas back to stand as he looked up. White birds, seagulls travelled overhead, their broad wings flapping in the air as they travelled west. Suddenly, Legolas felt his heart begin to change. He no longer wished to go back to the comfort of Ithilien, nor the familiarity of Mirkwood, or even the enchanting Lothlorien.

"To the sea." Legolas whispered to himself as he quickly called for his horse and rapidly rode back to Ithilien for the last time. He ignored the beauty of the forests as he entered his realm, leaping off his horse once he saw the tree house in sight.

"Gimli!" Legolas shouted as he rummaged through the house, not even sure what he was looking for. Gimli trudged in with his axe in hand, ready for what he had perceived as some sort of emergency. The dwarf lowered his axe when he saw Legolas running around, smiling and half crazed.

"What is the meaning of this?!" Gimli shouted as he marched up to Legolas who was opening and closing random cabinets and drawers.

"The seagulls." Legolas exclaimed as he turned to look at Gimli, before continuing searching the treehouse. He moved to different rooms, searching while a confused Gimli followed him.

"I knew it. You've finally gone mad." Gimli laughed. "Bursting in here, talking nonsense about seagulls and ransacking your own home." The dwarf settled himself in a nearby chair and lit his pipe, giving it a few good puffs before crossing his arms.

Legolas stopped and looked over to Gimli before rushing over to him and grabbing him in a tight hug. "Oh, Gimli. You must come with me." Legolas exclaimed as Gimli wailed his arms around in protest.

"I'm not going anywhere with you!" Gimli yelled as Legolas finally let him go. "You've clearly lost a few screws in that pointy eared head of yours."

"No, Gimli." Legolas finally said seriously as he motioned for him to follow him to the bed chambers he once shared with Alannah. He opened their armoire and pushed aside his clothes, pulling out a wooden box and brushing the dust off of it.

Gimli raised his eyebrow and pointed his pipe towards it cautiously. "Is that the pipe weed the wizard was so fond of? No wonder you're acting a fool." He pronounced as he watched Legolas carefully open it.

"No, Gimli." Legolas responded as he carefully lifted the old scroll out of it. "This was a wedding present gifted to Alannah and me. At the time I did not understand why she gave it to me, but now it is all too clear." He explained. Gimli took another long drag of his pipe.

"She?" Gimli asked, assuming Alannah. Legolas shook his head.

"No, not my beloved. But the Lady Galadriel. We must build a ship Gimli and sail to the Undying Lands. Please say you'll join me." Legolas insisted as he spread the blueprints on a nearby table. Gimli noticeably softened at the mention of Lady Galadriel. The dwarf's hand instantly reached towards his shirt's breast pocket, where he still carried the three strands of her she had gifted him when the fellowship had departed Lothlorien.

"Aye, I would love to gaze upon her once again." Gimli responded dreamily. He quickly snapped out of his state as he walked over to where Legolas stood and joined him in looking over the blueprints. Gimli eyed his ageless friend but could see in his eyes the depth of his pain and loss glossed over with the hope of rejoining his family. "Tell me lady, if you were to make it across the sea to these dying lands or whatever you pointy ears call it, would you be with Alannah and Oryn again."

Legolas slowly nodded his head as his eyes held back tears.

"I would Gimli. I would." Legolas said in a hushed tone, trying his best to focus his attention on the task at hand instead of the family he so desired to be reunited with.

"What of Aragorn and his kin? Would we visit to give them our goodbyes, and what of mine in Erebor?" Gimli asked, looking for any excuse to ground Legolas. Legolas spread his hand out across the instructions, bidding his hand not to shake.

"Aragorn has died this day, Gimli." Legolas said quietly. Gimli's mouthed fell open as he stepped back and sat himself on a stool. He hung his head in silent mourning and prayer, wiping a few tears away for his friend, the king of Gondor. A silence filled the room for several minutes as Legolas poured over the pages, while Gimli took his time to process everything since Legolas had stormed into Ithilien. Finally, Gimli walked over and nudged Legolas in the hip, motioning for him to follow him.

"Come on, lad. I want to show you something." Gimli stated as he left the room and made his way down the stairs. Legolas looked to Gimli and back to the paperwork in front of him before carefully folding it and placing it in his breast pocket. Legolas followed Gimli as he walked through the forests, curious as to where his friend was taking him. After some time, Legolas realized the familiar path they were walking and stopped.

"Why are we going to Oryn's grave Gimli?" Legolas asked solemnly, only having ever visited his son's grave by himself. Gimli ignored him as he continued through the thick trees, knowing Legolas would follow him regardless. As they stepped into the small clearing, Legolas couldn't believe what his eyes were seeing. Oryn's grave had been cared for greatly by Gimli and the dwarves of Erebor that had visited, adorned with veils of mithril intertwined with the timeless and never dying vines and flowers that Alannah had bid to grow.

"It wasn't much, but I wanted to do something for the lad." Gimli explained. "I cared for him as well, Legolas. The other elves in your colony know what we've done here, and this way, his resting place will always remain safe no matter where you are."

Legolas stepped forward and lightly brushed against the precious mithril, knowing what it contained within to be more precious to him than anything else.

"Thank you, Gimli." Legolas whispered as he placed his hand on Gimli's shoulder. Gimli placed his hand over top Legolas's for a moment before shoving it off and began walking hastily back in the direction of the treehouse.

"Where are you going?" Legolas asked as he looked up. Gimli huffed as he turned around and crossed his arms.

"If we are building a ship, we need to get a move on it." He exclaimed grumpily. "And if you toss me overboard, I will cut your pointy ears off with my own axe, mark my words."

Legolas smiled widely as he leapt up, overjoyed that Gimli agreed to sail with him and join him with his family in Valinor.

~

Alannah walked along the shore in Valinor, looking out across the sea to where she knew Middle Earth was. It was so far away, the memories she had there also feeling the same. Her heart and mind felt renewed in this place full of indescribable wonders where her kin all roamed throughout freely. Thranduil was often with her, adjusting to no longer being a king, but just an elf. She noticed gradually as time passed that he was less tense and smiling more often now that the heavy burdens were lifted from him.

Barely more than a day since they had arrived, Alannah and Thranduil sat on the shore together in silence. They quietly reflected on what they had done and what it had meant for both of them. For a moment, Alannah thought she had seen him wipe away a tear before he quickly turned away.

"This is our true home." Thranduil muttered as he placed his hand on Alannah's. She couldn't tell if he was trying to convince her or himself as he spoke, the uncertainty plain in his voice. After some time, Alannah felt a presence behind her. She turned to see a woman standing over Thranduil, gazing down at him silently as if she were guarding him.

Alannah opened her mouth to speak, but Thranduil too had felt her presence as he stood, clenching his jaw tightly before turning around to look at the woman. He stood still, looking down at her as his chest began to rise and fall quickly.

"Meleth nin." He whispered as he grabbed the woman and pulled her into his chest. Alannah stood quietly as she watched the tall, stern elf king she had known for years be reduced to tears and cries of joy. The woman wiped the tears gently from his face, whispering softly to him to calm him. Thranduil looked to Alannah and held out his arm for her to join him.

"Alannah," He called out, his voice shaking from the overwhelming emotion. "This is Elarinya, my wife."

The woman let go of Thranduil and moved close to Alannah, smiling softly as she studied her face. She moved her hand to Alannah's cheek, stroking the skin softly with her thumb. "I can see in your eyes the love you've brought to our son. But the sadness that lingers there..." She said as her face fell. She looked back to her husband, noticing the same sadness within him. "Come, we will see Este."

Alannah looked to Thranduil as he nodded at her, prompting her to follow. Alannah looked out to the shore once more before following them, unknowing of what was to come.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 54.4K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
355K 19.5K 50
1st place in #depression ARNAV - who hates the word LOVE because of his bitter past will fall in love when he meets his SOULMATE? Will he attain the...
556K 12.3K 39
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
134K 3.3K 70
On a rainy night, Emeryn seeks out Thorin Oakenshield at the Prancing Pony. Having been sent by Gandalf himself, she convinces the Prince to reclaim...