Destiny's Gamble

By styles2016

Sequel to Destiny's Dice. Manik and Nandini have now begun a new chapter of their lives, being a married coup... More

A New Chapter
Downhill Morning
Breakfast Fiascos
Question-Answer
Mrs. Devil Malhotra
A Plot...Or Not?
Ambushed
No Victory Without Struggle
This Is Me
Dare To Defy
It's A Start
Mission Accomplished
A Pot Of Mess
Web Of Thoughts
Insight
Don't Know How
You and I
Nandini's Sun
One Step At A Time
Turned Tables
Green Devil
Oh, You Devil
Devil, Not So Devilish
Anti-Manik
The Night's Young
Caged Bird No More
Tonight Is Ours
Dance Partner
An Ugly End
The Journey Begins
The Journey Continues
A Bagful Of Firsts
Machine Of Pain...Or Relief?
Superman
The Garden Of Eden
An Argument Much Needed
Superman Or Madman?
Future...Right?
The Start Of Something New
Mother Nature And Us
Home
Return Of The Witch
Taste Testing
To Love Is To Breathe
Crackling Tension
Tracks Once More
Wasted Efforts
Mr. Hulk
Challenge Accepted
Double Celebration
All's Well That Ends Well
Trouble In Paradise
...
Undoing
Gone
Operation Nandini
Plan A
Plan B...Failed
Thank You!
Lucked Out
Sleepover
Here, Always And Forever
Back To Square One
Out In The Open
Fragile! Handle With Care
Happy Reunion Day
Destined To Be
Good Luck, Manik
Devil In Disguise
Hungry Lioness
Goodnight
The Morning After
Mending Burnt Bridges
Surprise Getaway
Confessions Of The Heart
Tonight We Are One
A Hollow Victory
Unfortunate Times
Confinement
Tough Times
Newfound Motivation
Renewed Freedom
Destiny's Gamble
Coffee Date
A Flood Of Memories
Enemy Territory
Something More
Hide And Seek
Comrades
Destructive Lies
Two Vessels, One Soul
Key to Success...Or Potion To Fail?
Game Changer
History Repeats Itself
Unpleasant Dawn
Falling Into Place
Old Flames
Coming Home
Happily Ever After
A New Adventure!

Unfinished Tales

3.1K 416 9
By styles2016

As the screen lights up, I click my way into the camera's gallery. Several images of an aesthetically pleasing sky greet me.

"Am I now allowed to put this camera to good use?" 

"It's yours. Do what you will with it." 

Manik and everything related to him causes a reel of memories to play out in my head. At least I think they are memories and not pre-mature signs that I'm losing my mind. Alas, the pictures of this sky are not enough to guide me. Curious, I continue to go backwards through the gallery. Sky. More sky. God, does Manik capture anything other than Mother Nature? On any other day - in any other circumstances - I would admire these beautiful shots. Today, however, they are a cause of great disappointment. Every time I raise my hopes, they come crashing down.

"Is Rishabh in his room?" Manik yells, his voice dangerously close to the room I'm in. What in the world is he doing out of bed? I had told Manik to sleep and recuperate. Heart hammering against my chest, I hastily place the camera back in the box. As I'm shutting the lid, my eye catches a glimpse of the camera screen, which is displaying a picture that isn't of the sky. In fact, it looks like a side shot of a woman with long hair. Alas, I do not have enough time to get a good look, as I can hear Manik's footsteps nearing. As I glance around the room in panic, my eyes land on the bathroom door.

"Okay, well, I'm going in his room. Remember, you gave me permission." Manik's footsteps are nearing and my nerves are getting the best of me. With my heart almost in my mouth, I make my way into the bathroom and silently shut the door behind me. Just as I do so, I hear the room door open. A moment of silence passes. Pouting, I press my ear against the door. What's Manik up to? This silence is eerie, especially because I know I'm in the wrong.

"Fuck, Rishabh," I hear Manik hiss. The sound of the cardboard box being dragged across the floor enters my ears. "Don't you good evening me!" Manik says indignantly to someone. Is he conversing on the phone? 

"Oh, for fuck's sake, don't act the fool." I'm sure Manik's called Rishabh. "You went through my box of things, when I've specifically told you not to." Silence. Rishabh must be presenting his case. "Rishabh, you've already fucked up by going through the stuff and now you wish to lie and deny your intrusive actions." Silence once again blankets the room. "I know because the camera's left on and her picture is on the screen." A button beeps and Rishabh's voice fills the room.

"Manik, my leg hit the box when I was leaving. The items must've shifted around and so the camera probably turned on." The man on the other end of the line truthfully defends himself. I don't understand what's so special in that box of utter disarray that Manik's creating a mountain out of a mole hill? "I didn't go through the items in the box." 

I can hear shuffling, as if Manik is tossing the box's belongings around. 

"You haven't misplaced anything, right?" Manik asks. "Because I have count and if even - " 

"Manik, I haven't touched the box and neither have I lost anything from it. Look, I know you don't want anyone touching her items, as they're very precious to you and being her husband, they rightly belong to you, too. Just don't forget that she's also my sister and if ever I wish to view her belongings, then you should grant me that right." 

"I know," Manik sighs. "They're just...Angel's belongings are very close to my heart. They're intimate." 

"I understand," Rishabh replies, sounding genuinely sympathetic towards Manik's situation. "Manik," he continues, his tone teasing. "If you love that box so greatly, then you should keep it in your room. The damned piece hits me everyday." 

"Rishabh, Rishabh, Rishabh," Manik says, tsking. "If your eyes are only show pieces, then what's the poor box's fault? If I could, I would honestly have zero issues keeping it in my room. Truth be told, I'd be more than happy to do so. But you know that I don't sleep in my room anymore. She's there now and - "

"If Nandini saw the box, then all hell will break loose," Rishabh completes for Manik. I frown. Why so? 

"You know it, so why do you ask? Also, I could've moved into Alya's room, but...that space doesn't sit well with me anymore." 

"So first you came to hog my sister's room, then you gave that up and decided to hog the lounge? Too familiar, too fast, don't you think?" So this isn't Manik's house? But supposedly his parents and brother reside here. Although, gauging from the way Rishabh and Manik are conversing, I have a feeling they are related in some other way. As if the questions in my mind weren't enough, another one is gnawing at the back of it, who is this sister of theirs? As I'm bringing my hand back to my side, the silver bracelet on my wrist hits the doorknob, creating a ringing sound. Oh no! What've I done? 

"Rishabh, I'll call you back," Manik says, sounding alert. I am an idiot. Once again my poor planning has backfired in my face.

"Who's there?" Manik yells, making me jump. Adorning what I hope is an innocent face, I open the bathroom door and step out. My friend is standing to my right, ready to ambush me if need be.

"I come in peace, Sir." I joke, letting out a nervous laugh. As if I'm a convict, I raise my arms, palms facing Manik. Poor guy looks like I've told him the earth is rectangular and his entire identity is a lie. "Y-You - " 

"What're you doing here?" Manik asks, casting a glance at the box over his shoulder. As subtly as he can, my friend moves to the left, thereby shielding it from my view. Sure, Manik, that's not odd at all. "What're you doing here?" He repeats.

"You were asleep in my room," I lie, praying that my voice doesn't waver. "I-I had to use the washroom, so..." I trail off, jerking my thumb over my shoulder. Manik's gaze flits towards the bathroom doubtfully. 

"Okay," he finally says, after what feels like an elongated hour. "I'm sorry if I disturbed you." I smile at Manik, my breath stuck in my throat. Something tells me that the man in front of me doesn't quite believe me. 

"What're you doing here?" I ask in return, deciding to put Manik on the spot as well. He furtively glances behind him, towards the box. 

"Rishabh has misplaced a file," Manik lies. Disappointment anchors my heart towards the floor. You're lying to him as well! A voice internally chides me. Good God, I'm a hypocrite. However, I cannot suppress the fact that my heart wishes for me to open my mouth and beg Manik for the truth. It's funny how regardless of all the lies he tells me, I am still drawn towards him, and that he possesses my blind trust even now.

"So he told me to look for it in his room. In case..." Manik trails off. I nod my head understandingly, even though I want to tell the man in front of me that I don't understand the cause of all these lies he keeps feeding me. What in the world is in that box that Manik is lying through his nose and that he's hiding it from me? More importantly, why would all hell break loose if I viewed its contents?

"Found it?" I ask, a slight smile tugging at my lips. My friend furrows his brows. 

"No," he replies slowly, dragging the word out. "No luck unfortunately." 

"Maybe if I help," I offer. The look on Manik's face tells me that he knows what I'm doing. He knows I'm calling out his bluff.

"It's really not a problem," Manik says. "I'll just call Rishabh and tell him the file must be at his office." 

*****

"Manik, have you shifted into that room?" I question, nodding my head towards the door that's opposite to the one I'm currently hogging. 

"No, I've made other arrangements." He says curtly, wishing to end this topic. 

"Like what? The black sofa." I shake my head in disbelief at my friend's sacrificial tendencies. "Chachi has already spilled the beans when I asked her, so don't even try to spin a web of lies around me." The way you usually do, I mentally add. 

"So what?" Manik shrugs nonchalantly. "It's a very comfortable couch." I roll my eyes, scoffing.

"Oh for the love of God, Manik." Frustrated, I throw my hands in the air. "Your back's injured as it is and to think you're further punishing yourself by cramming your muscular frame into a tight space like that is unbelievable." 

"Oh, so you've taken note of my frame, huh?" Manik teases, smirking. 

"Now is not the time for jokes." I stamp my right foot in irritation. "This is your room, so why in the world am I enjoying its luxuries, while you're in discomfort?" 

"Calm your shit, Rumpelstiltskin." Manik says, amusement glittering in his eyes. I can tell that my friend is finding this state of mine highly entertaining. Why in the world do I have a face that can't portray an ounce of anger without causing another to crack up? 

"I'll take the couch from here on out and you can take the bed." I say with a tone of finality. Manik cocks his eyebrow at me. 

"And what makes you think I'll oblige to your words?" Smiling coyly, I take a step towards him. Wrapping my fists around Manik's collar, I pull him close to me. 

"If you don't," I whisper, our breaths mingling into one. "I have other means of making you oblige." Manik's eyes widen. The poor guy looks as if I've passed an electric current through his body. 

"Um...I-I," Manik stutters. Due to his heavy breathing, Manik's chest begins to press against mine, thereby further eradicating the narrow distance between us. Biting down on my lower lip, I tilt my head up towards him. Our lips are mere millimetres apart. 

"Okay," Manik whispers, his gaze resting on my lips. A flutter of butterflies erupts in my stomach, as my tongue slips out to moisten my lips. I want to raise myself on my tiptoes and engulf Manik's lips with mine. In fact, the urge to do so is burning me up from the inside out. The tip of my fingers that are holding Manik's collar lightly brush against his skin, heat spreading through them and into my bloodstream. In this moment, I am more alive than I have ever been. Manik's head leans down further towards my lips, as if he's mirroring my thoughts. This is wrong! He loves another. 

Frowning, I let go of Manik's shirt, taking a stumbling step back. What in the world did I just do? Those actions...they came so naturally to me, as if they're second nature. Ashamed, I turn around and glance upwards. God, please knock some semblance of sanity in me. 

"I'll sleep here if you sleep with me." Manik says, causing me to swivel around and face him in surprise. The look on my face causes Manik's eyes to widen, as he processes the implied meaning of his words. "No! Not in that sense. I don't want you sleeping in the lounge. We can both share the bed. It's wide enough and pillow walls are always available." The explanation Manik gives causes my heartbeat to return to normal. However, I don't fail to catch onto the momentary disappointment that floods through my system. 

"That could work," I say thoughtfully. "Yeah, that's definitely a possibility." 

"You sure?" Manik asks, surprised that I've agreed to his terms. I nod my head, utterly confident regarding my decision. I am fully aware of the fact that being close to others scares the living daylights out of me. However, it's always been different with Manik, and so I'm confident that his close proximity won't scare me.

The truth is, regarding Manik, I have no doubts, or swaying trust issues. He has proven himself time and again that he won't allow anything to happen to me. It's as if he's my personal guardian angel. 

"Manik, tell me something about your Angel." I say, as I lower myself onto the bed. My friend is already nicely tucked in, as if he's more than eager to be sharing this sleeping space with me. My gaze lands on Manik's arm, which is resting on the pillow that divides our respective sides. "I mean, you love her so much, regardless of the fact that she's not with you now. What was so special about her? I need to take notes on how to keep a guy," I let out a bark of laughter. 

"There's so much to Angel. I wouldn't know where to begin." Manik says, his eyes growing distant, and just like that, he's in a trance.

"I wish to hear it all," I say eagerly. "If you don't mind sharing of course." 

"I could never tire from talking about her." A saddened smile tugs at the corners of Manik's lips. This, "Angel," is the luckiest woman on the planet. 

"You know, we didn't always love each other," my friend begins. "Truth be told, she hated my attitude, and I, her guts." Turning over to face Manik, I tuck my hands underneath the side of my head, more than ready to soak in his words. As Manik continues to narrate this realistic fairytale, his entire demeanour alters. With each passing sentence, the affection in his voice increases. Every time he reaches a point in which he's telling me about a fond memory of his, a grin that I know is coming straight out from his heart, materialises on his face. What I wouldn't give to be in place of Manik's Angel. As laughable as it may seem, I must admit that I am jealous of a woman I do not know. 

"Hold up," I finally say, interrupting Manik. "I would love to hear more from you, but unfortunately, sleep calls. I can't - " a yawn escapes my lips - "Stay awake any longer. Although, please do finish this incomplete fairytale tomorrow." 

"That is the issue. My fairytale is incomplete." Manik says, as I shut my eyes and turn over, waves of sleep cascading over me. 

"Mm," I murmur. "Mine too." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.2K 2.1K 16
MaNan is back! After a turbulent college life, everyone is chasing their dreams and passions, while dealing with changing relationships. After inves...
55.5K 3.9K 33
Unexpected meeting of them bring her in a danger of being his spot. The cruel monster full of anger. Manik hate the word girl because of his past but...
119K 3.1K 3
Hello People! This is a two shots story on Manik & Nandini with an EPILOGUE! And about the story.. I would say JUST PEEP IN PLZZ. WARNING:- This stor...
2K 257 5
Welcome to this world of Manan. This book includes a collection of various short stories of Manik and Nandini with interesting storylines. This will...