The Mafia's Nanny

By mindsets

A love story about the peace that can be found in our darkest moments, and the people that can help us find i... More

Author's Note
Epilogue
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
A/N
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
THANK YOU

Chapter 48

38.5K 968 740
By mindsets

Leah

Mother always told me that I was strong when I was young.

You've got the power to overcome anything, she'd say to me.

Hearing things like that from the woman that you adore travels straight to your heart. And somehow – even though she couldn't keep that support up – her words stayed with me.

I grew up with fire inside of my heart. Fire that allowed me to run and escape from things that bothered me; fire that allowed me to love with passion; fire that made me hate in the same way, and passion that gave me courage in the hardest times.

That was the one reason why I never hated my parents.

They may have turned their backs when things got hard but they taught me how to fight.

Even if by the end.... they were the people that I was fighting against.

As I stood and gazed up at the dark Estate that sent chills running down my spine – I inhaled sharply.

The courage that I had gathered over the years was finally rising to the surface. This was the time to prove myself – to prove that I was able to risk anything for the people that I loved.

This was the time to prove that nothing could get in my way.

"Catherine?"

A stern-looking woman stood before my eyes. Her wrinkled face was stiff and I wondered whether she was speaking to me or not. Her eyes were moving over my face as if she was judging me before I could even make an impression.

And by the way her eyebrow raised up and her lips became even more crinkled than before – I assumed her first impression wasn't very pleasant.

"Yes?" I responded in the most genuine tone I could muster.

Catherine. That was the name that I was possessing for the next week.

"Come," Her body turned and her high-heeled shoes clicked on the floor. I quickly moved behind her in order to keep up with her relentless, quick walking.

The Estate was cold – the workers looking as if they were part of some cult.

I wondered how Eva was able to work at such a horrible place. Surely her warmth and happiness stuck out like a sore thumb.

Eventually we arrived at one of the main buildings. I walked down the hallways with the woman strolling infront of me – not a single word coming from her mouth until we stopped before an office.

"Mr Rosso is expecting you. Answer his questions and don't argue."

I was stunned by how aggressive her tone was. Before I could thank her or even speak a word – she walked in the opposite direction and left my vulnerability exposed in the empty hallway.

I looked at the door and inhaled.

Be strong.

I knocked on the door and waited for a few moments before I heard a masculine voice from the other side.

"Enter."

I opened the door and walked inside the huge room. There was someone sitting behind the desk on the far side of the office but I couldn't properly see them until I closed the door and began walking over.

That's when I recognised Antonio.

I'd seen him on pictures and heard about his appearance but damn.... seeing him in person made me disgusted.

Thinking about Elena made my stomach churn. The way she was completely ripped from the Earth... such a kind-hearted woman, such a loyal friend, taken away by the man before my eyes.

And the pain that he'd brought on Alessandro and his family....

I had to resist the urge to pounce.

"Sit," He barely acknowledged me.

I sat on the chair and cleared my throat awkwardly. He eventually met my eyes and I felt coldness rush through my body.

The Devil was sitting before me and I had to act as though I was with him.

All I wanted to do was leave. All I wanted to do was end his life myself..... but I knew I couldn't.

"Catherine?" He spoke with a raspy voice.

I noticed his eyes raking down my chest and the corner of his mouth quirked up. My stomach churned at the sight of pure lust in his eyes.

I shuffled in the seat and cleared my throat.

He immediately shot his focus back on my face. "You've come for some kind of project?"

"Yes," I spoke with the maximum amount of honesty in my tone. "I want to look deeper into the lifestyle of the Mafia. I'm doing projects at various bases."

He looked suspicious and I felt my heart quicken in my chest.

"Who else?"

"I can't disclose that information," I told him with my tone calm and steady – though my insides were one glare away from collapsing.

Fortunately he just looked back down and refused to question me further. Thank the Lord....

"How many men do you need?"

"The men that know the most about the lifestyle. Perhaps your right-hand men?"

"They're very busy men," He quickly shot back at me.

My head was spinning. "It'll only take an hour out of their day. I promise I won't keep them from doing their work. Two weeks is all I need."

Antonio thought for a moment – tracing his pen along the line of his lips. And then his dark pools of cruelty locked with mine, and his raspy voice spoke out. "Monitored sessions."

Gabriel told me that I didn't have to worry about whether people were watching the sessions. They'd only get in his way which meant they'd go down with the rest of his right-hand men.

"That's completely okay with me," I smiled widely and just as I thought – I didn't receive the same gesture back.

He just raised an eyebrow and exhaled heavily.

This was going to be a long two weeks.

Eva

"She's going to be okay, right?"

Alessandro sighed heavily as I repeated the same question I'd been asking since Leah had left the Estate earlier this morning. He climbed into bed next to me and wrapped one of his broad arms around my body – bringing my petite frame close to his.

"I promise," He whispered huskily, looking down into my eyes with warmth that spread through me. "I won't let anything happen to her."

I trusted Alessandro.

I trusted him to protect my loved ones. I trusted him to bring Leah safely back home. I trusted him with everything I had.

I placed my hand on his bare chest and felt love rush from his brown orbs.

"This Hell is almost over." He stated with honesty dripping from his tone. "I promise that after Antonio is dead – our beautiful life can start...."

"Our beautiful life started the first day I met you, Alessandro," I replied softly. My heart felt as though it could burst. "And I wouldn't change the chaos even if I could."

His eyes were glassy and his chest was rising and falling, taking my hand with its movements.

"Do you remember when I first came to the Estate? You were so angry...." I reminisced with laughter behind my words, remembering the rage that came from Alessandro; He wanted nothing to do with me.

Alessandro chuckled above me. And then softness took over the huskiness of his voice. "And I remember the night that I saw you sleeping. It was the moment when I realised that I could never allow you to leave my sight."

I just listened to him and savoured the feeling inside of my heart. The calmness that washed over my body felt like heaven and I never wanted to escape.

"I didn't love you back then," He continued with his voice gentle. "But I knew that there was something about you that belonged with me."

My fingertips danced along his muscles and I smiled to myself.

"My mother would have absolutely adored you, Alessandro."

He looked down at me and raised his eyebrows. "Really?"

I nodded and rested my face against his tanned chest – gazing into his mysterious eyes.

"She'd always tell me when I was younger that I needed to find someone that would look after me. Someone that would never want to harm me."

Alessandro looked pleased with himself. His smile was proud and happy – almost like a child that was being praised. It made me giggle.

"Would she not despise my dangerous lifestyle?"

"She would have seen past that. I mean, she'd be anxious at first, but to see the things that you've sacrificed for me.... she'd be so happy that I found someone like you."

Alessandro brought my body closer to his and listened as I spoke.

"I think that if she would have known that my father was going to murder her – her worst fear would be that I'd grow up without being loved like I deserved. She would have begged God to bring me someone that would save me from my father... she would have wanted nothing more."

Alessandro kissed my forehead lovingly and whispered against my skin. "I promise that she can be calm when you're with me. I'll look after you...."

I closed my eyes and exhaled peacefully.

"I need to show you something..." I whispered softly.

Alessandro hummed against my head and I pulled away from his hold – standing up and gesturing for him to follow me out of the bedroom.

He looked confused but lifted himself from the bed and followed me into the hallway. Across from our bedroom was my old room – and as I opened the door, the strong smell of paint penetrated my nostrils.

It was one of my favourite scents – not necessarily that I liked the smell but it reminded me of my safe place. The place that I could escape to when things got too heavy.

"I've been working on something new," I told Alessandro as I walked over to my canvas and turned the page.

It was a painting of Alessandro and Arianna. She was sitting on his shoulders and he was looking up at her; they both looked so happy and each time I looked at the canvas – I was reminded of how lucky I was.

I looked over my shoulder to see his reaction; he looked stunned.

"Eva...."

"I haven't finished it," I quickly told him. The background needed to be painted but the main point of the painting was crystal-clear.

"It's beautiful."

His eyes were frozen on the painting. Seeing the pure happiness on his face made my heart melt in my chest.

This was what I wanted the painting to do....

"It reminds me of the most important people in my life." I spoke honestly, right from the bottom of my heart.

Alessandro turned to face me and I saw his eyes sparkling with unshed tears that I knew would never be allowed to roll down his cheeks. But I didn't care about that; I knew that he appreciated me just as much as I appreciated him.

His large hands moved up and held my face before he connected his lips with mine. The taste of his lips would never become settled inside of me; I'd always feel as though I was drunk on him. Never able to have enough of his love....

The kiss was passionate but gentle and loving.

"Thank you," He whispered as he pulled away, his face inches from mine, his warm breath fanning over my mouth.

"Thank you." I whispered back with my lips reaching for his once again.

He smirked against my mouth at my enthusiasm. The kiss was much hungrier this time – full of passion and built-up tension.

I pressed myself against his chest and my fingertips massaged his scalp as I ran my fingers through his brown hair. He groaned against my mouth and I smiled in response.

He lifted my body up and I wrapped my legs around his torso. His masculine scent surrounded me and I felt as though I was in paradise – as he carried me back to our bedroom and lay me down on the bed.

He possessed such dominance and control yet gentleness and softness towards me. It drove me crazy....

"Alessandro..." I softly whispered.

He looked down at me and raised an eyebrow.

"I haven't taken my birth control in a few days," I admitted to him with my eyebrows furrowed in shame and guilt.

His eyes seemed to glow as the words left my mouth. And then I noticed the corners of his mouth quirking up before he leaned down and connected his lips with mine – after speaking words that brought so many emotions. "I don't think we need to worry about that anymore."

And that was the confirmation.

The confirmation that our life was really starting....

The morning after started like any other would have started. Alessandro and I woke up with Arianna jumping on the bed in excitement – acting like our personal alarm clock.

We had our breakfast and then people began to split off to do their daily duties.

I looked after Arianna and Giovanni for most of the morning. They were playing as they usually did – so I decided that I'd finish the painting.

As I was painting the background, I felt presence behind me. I looked over my shoulder and they were both standing there with curious looks on their faces.

"Is that me and Daddy?" Arianna raised her eyebrows with sparkling eyes.

"Yes," I grinned widely.

Giovanni gasped dramatically and his fingers slowly reached out to trace the painting. "It's so pretty...."

"Gio!" Arianna whined, grabbing his hand before it could ruin the painting.

I erupted in laughter as Giovanni frowned at Arianna.

They were so different yet so perfectly in sync.

Giovanni was sweet and soft-hearted. Arianna had the same kind nature but she possessed wildfire. I could tell that she was strong and independent – the kind of woman that would defend herself in any situation, and wasn't afraid of anything.

I admired that strength about her.

"Have you showed Daddy?"

I nodded my head and smiled softly. "He loves it."

Arianna walked forward and looked at the painting with furrowed eyebrows. "Where are you?"

I looked at the painting and then grinned to myself. "I'm the one taking the picture."

Arianna looked over and her face blossomed into beautiful happiness – with the biggest smile I'd ever seen. Giovanni came forward with a pouty look on my face.

"What about me? Where am I?"

Arianna hummed in thought before her eyes darted towards Gio.

"You're waiting for me at home; we had gone out to get some ice-cream for you because you were sick."

Giovanni giggled and nodded enthusiastically. "What about Mummy and Daddy?"

"They're at home too, making sure that you're okay..." Arianna continued innocently.

I found it amusing how they were creating their own story behind the painting.

"There's a story behind every single one of my paintings. It's always important that the paintings have meaning." I told them both. Giovanni looked around and then my mother caught his eye.

He pointed towards the canvas on the wall and questioned curiously. "What's the story behind that one?"

I inhaled and pressed my lips together. But before I could explain, Arianna began to speak instead.

"There was once a beautiful woman... she had a little girl who she loved more than anything in the world," Arianna began to whisper to Giovanni.

All I could do was watch with my heart pounding against my chest. Listening to Arianna was like my whole life was flashing before my eyes.... but in such a calm way.

"And she promised that she'd always look after her – no matter what happened. But then someone took the woman away from the little girl, and the little girl thought that she had lost the woman forever."

A single tear rolled down my cheek. And I thought that my heart had shattered again – until I heard her next words.

"But the little girl grew up and she slowly began to blossom into the woman that had left her when she was younger," Arianna looked over at me and I could have sworn I saw myself in her eyes. I could have sworn I saw my whole life through her innocent brown orbs. "And when another little girl came along, she looked after that little girl in the exact same way."

I had tears rushing down my cheeks by the time Arianna had finished. Giovanni gasped and walked over to me – his tiny fingers wiping the droplets away. "Eva. Are you okay?"

I placed my hands on his waist and nodded, kissing his forehead. "Tears of joy..."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "I didn't know you could cry from being happy."

Arianna and I both giggled and I brought them both on my lap. "I need you two to promise me something."

They looked up at me innocently.

"I need you to promise that you'll always stick together. It's important to keep family close by."

They looked at one another and giggled.

"We're best friends," Giovanni spoke with the same juvenile tone they both possessed. "We'd never leave each other."

I kissed both of their heads and held them close to my chest.

They snuggled and wrapped their arms around my torso. "We love you Eva..."

"Me too." A raspy voice spoke from the doorway. I looked up and I was met with my handsome fiancé. His suit was tight against his broadness and I couldn't help but feel butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

He smirked and walked closer to us.

"Feeling sentimental?" He grinned – kneeling down and looking at us with those irresistible eyes.

"Daddy! You smell like aftershave again...." Arianna giggled as Alessandro bowed his head to kiss her.

He chuckled to himself and I smiled in amusement. "I'm sorry princess."

We all chuckled and then Alessandro looked at the two children with a gentle look on his face. "Why don't you guys find Rosie? She was saying something about cupcakes that she'd baked this morning."

Arianna and Giovanni both gasped and leaned up before rushing out of the room with their excited voices echoing as they ran.

Once their distant laughter had faded – Alessandro turned to face me with soft eyes. Each time I looked at his face, I could feel my heart pounding with adoration for him.

"Any news with Leah?" I whispered softly.

"She's arrived safely at the Estate and they've allowed her to do a two-week project." He explained with his head nodding slowly.

"When are you thinking of making the move?"

"A week should be enough for them to trust her. Then we'll attack without hesitation. We can't afford to waste time anymore."

I nodded my head and smiled in a supportive way. He took my hand and kissed my skin gently – his lips nodding against my body in the way that made my heart flutter.

"Don't you worry," He grinned to himself. He could see right through me – even when I tried to hide my fearful emotions. "Everything is going to be okay."

I placed my hand on his face and allowed my thumb to rub over his cheek gently. His eyes locked with mine and I exhaled peacefully. "I know."

We looked at one another for a few sweet moments before I spoke once again.

"Once Antonio is dead.... Gabriel and Leah are going to move back to their Estate. Right?"

He nodded slowly. I hadn't even stopped to realise that once the task was finished – I'd no longer have them around. I'd no longer have Gabriel walking around the Estate with his warm aura; I'd no longer be able to go to Leah whenever I wanted; I'd no longer watch Giovanni playing with Arianna every single day.

"But we'll stay in touch." Alessandro reassured me, my worried expression probably acknowledged.

The thought of Arianna not having Giovanni around made me upset – even if they'd have visits. She'd finally found someone that she could play with, someone that understood her childish nature.

And now she had to let him go....

"It's more about Ari..." I sighed softly.

Alessandro nodded and rubbed my leg comfortingly. "She'll be okay. They'll always be able to have play-dates."

I smiled at him and he grinned back.

"Are you hungry?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

I hummed and tilted my head to the side. "What were you thinking?"

"I was thinking of making some pasta for everyone. To give Rosie a break," He began to explain with his hands moving to my torso, pulling me closer to him. "And I was wondering whether my lady wanted some."

My lady.

That would never settle calmly with me. I'd always have butterflies erupting inside of me whenever he'd call me his.

"Yes please. Do you need some help?"

He shook his head and kissed my lips softly before standing up and moving towards the door. "I'll manage."

I watched him leave the room and my heart soared.

Happiness washed over me.

The kind of happiness that came out of nowhere and made you feel as though you were flying.

The kind of happiness that was undeniably and completely perfect.

~

Don't worry. I didn't forget about you guys ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

563K 22.8K 69
Lilly found an egg on a hiking trip. Nothing abnormal on that, right? Except the egg was four times bigger than supposedly the biggest egg in the wor...
2.7M 60.4K 81
Diana is an 18 year old girl about to start her senior year until she bumps into a woman at the bookstore who has quite the personality. The woman ta...
181K 23.1K 14
في وسط دهليز معتم يولد شخصًا قاتم قوي جبارً بارد يوجد بداخل قلبهُ شرارةًُ مُنيرة هل ستصبح الشرارة نارًا تحرق الجميع أم ستبرد وتنطفئ ماذا لو تلون الأ...
296K 10.9K 76
"Leave, you're free. Don't ever come back here again." She said, hoping he wouldn't return and she'll get to live Hael was shocked, "Are you abandon...