Man in a Can: Tony Stark (PTS...

By Newt_L_Young_

Tony's never been the same since New York. And after the events of Infinity War, his anxiety and PTSD have re... More

Chapter One: Meltdown at May's
Chapter Two: Alcohol and Antibiotics
Chapter Three: Banner's Burdens
Chapter Four: Spacebound
Chapter Five: An Unexpected Guest (or Two)
Chapter Seven: Like Father, Like Son
Chapter Eight: Perhaps a Puppy?
Chapter Nine: Puppy's Prosthetic and Father's Day
Chapter Ten: 4th of July/PTSD attack (tired, it's 1 AM, think of title later)
Chapter Eleven: Camping and Cooties
Chapter Twelve: Married for Morgan
Chapter Thirteen: Hell of a Halloween
Chapter Fourteen: 98% Naughty... 2% Nice
Chapter Fifteen: Babies, Brakes, and Biometrics
Chapter Sixteen: Kid's Off to College
Chapter Seventeen: Glasses and Grounded
Chapter Eighteen: Multiverse... Miles??
Chapter Nineteen: (Iron)STRANGEr Things with Stark
Chapter Twenty: Portals and Parents
Chapter Twenty-One: Tony's Trust Issues
Author's Note

Chapter Six: Back to the MedLab

2K 58 41
By Newt_L_Young_

***NO ENDGAME SPOILERS (don't worry, I've seen the movie but I won't write any spoilers. Please don't spoil it for anyone. Thank you!!)***
————————————————
   Oxygen-starved and slipping in and out of consciousness, Tony was set on a medical stretcher.

   Tony was clutching his iron man helmet like a precious infant in his arms.

   Pepper clicked a button on the side of her mask, worried eyes trailing over her fiancés failing body. He weighed a fraction of what he should, and it was plain to see that his body was shutting down. She could trace the bones under sickly skin, his muscles beginning to atrophy. His breathing came in short, shallow breaths; his pulse was alarmingly slow.

She placed a mask over his face. "Tony, I need you to take a breath for me. Okay, honey? Just breathe. I'll be here when you wake up. I love you."

   The nurses called down to the base took the stretcher into a hospital room, Pepper close at their heels.
Pepper.. was all Tony could think. He recognized that voice. Locked inside his mind, drifting off into oblivion, the voice sounded angelic to his tired ears. Pepper..

   There was no simple way to describe his love for his fiancée. He didn't have the vocabulary to describe how deeply his heart had fallen for her.

   "Hang on, you stubborn bastard. We've got you. Nothing's going to happen to you."
———————————————————
   Grief-stricken, Pepper rubbed at her weary eyes, shuffling into the MedLab, adorned in silk pajamas and Tony's robe - a comforting smell to her - and her favorite pair of fluffy slippers. She clutched her cell phone, fingers tracing her lips in anxiousness and running through her bedhead hair.

   She was rarely seen unprofessional, but today she looked like a wild raccoon - perhaps Rocket - had decided to nest in her hair.

"What happened to him?" Came a soft and quiet voice from behind.

Pepper turned, and was surprised to find Loki there.

Pepper frowned. "Must have gotten hit in space. He's busted up real bad. Another fight, knowing him."

"But what was the helmet for?" Loki asked.

"Transmission."

Thor stepped up next to his brother. "He was listening to her message through that helmet. I think.. perhaps he has been convinced that his destiny is death, and he wanted to be with you when he passed."

Pepper's eyes stung, fresh tears rolling down her cheeks. The thought of Tony being in the ship, dying alone, with only the sound of her voice on an old crackling video message to comfort him in his final moments. And when I drift off.. I'll dream of you. It's always you..

   "Peter's.. well, not even I could bring a smile upon that young man's face," Loki said. "My brother and I were hoping you knew if.. if he was going to live.."

   Pepper's eyes creased at the sides, lips pursed. "I'll check in on him."

   "Thank you," the two said, politely leaving her alone, left to argue over who got the last pop tart.

   Pepper wrapped her icy cold fingers around the door handle, her hands trembling and slightly sweaty.

She stepped into the dim room. A pale Tony lay sleeping in the bed, Stephen, Bruce, Steve, and Natasha by his side.

   The heart monitor was looking gloomy, and Tony was still in a coma.  No one was certain whether he'd ever wake.

   Pepper crossed the room, tears in her eyes. Everyone else were blurry-eyed as well, even Natasha. She was curled up against Steve, tears wetting his shirt. Steve himself looked awful, eyes red with dark bags underneath.

Bruce looked restless, hair standing up every way. He looked like he hadn't slept or shaved in days. Stephen day next to him, arm wrapped around him, trying to clear his own vision from the tears streaming down his cheeks.

   Natasha stood and gave Pepper a hug. Steve wrapped her in a tight embrace as well.

   "How is he?" Pepper dared to ask.

   "Not well..." Stephen replied.

   "I'm sorry," Bruce added quietly. "We're not sure if he's going to make it.."

Pepper's eyebrows knitted together, daring to look at him.

Tony's skin was pale, and the sickly look wasn't any better. She hadn't seen Tony this bad since Obadiah almost killed him. Even when he was really hurting, his classic trademark cocky smile was on his lips.

"I'm afraid I'll break him," she said quietly.

"You won't hurt him. Here, take my chair. I think he'd like to wake up to you with him." Steve got up, offering his seat to her.

"Thank you," she said.

"We'll give you some time alone with him," Bruce said.

"Call Dr. Banner or me immediately if anything happens to take a turn for the worse," Stephen added.

"I will." Pepper scooted her chair closer to Tony.

Natasha patted her shoulder, giving a small reassuring shake, leaving Pepper alone in the room.

"Hi," Pepper whispered. She laced her fingers with his. "I'm here, Tony. It's okay now. Stay with me, will you?"

She hated seeing Tony in this condition, edging closer and closer to death. But through all his struggles, his problems, his behavior.. at the end of the day, she still loved him. And she would do anything for him.

"Always kiss me goodnight," she said, kissing his cheek. It was a saying she had started to follow, with a meaning of never going to bed angry at one other. At the end of the day, always forgive.
——————————————————
It was nearing 3:30 in the morning. Tony began to stir, blinking open his exhausted, gritty eyes.

   He turned to see Peter sleeping soundly by his side on the floor, his eyes still puffy from crying.

   Tony felt a cool, slender hand slipped into his. "Pep?" He croaked. "Pepper?"

   "Tony?" Pepper looked up at him through eyes rimmed with old tears, her lashes soaking. "Oh, Tony.."

Tony gave a weak smile. "Miss Potts. Fancy seeing you here."

Pepper gave a small chuckle in relief. He's okay. "Aren't I always?"

Tony smirked. "You just can't get enough."

"Oh, you're one to talk," Pepper said with a sassy tone.

Tony chuckled. "God, I've missed you."

"I missed you, too."

"Kiss?" Tony asked, hopefully.

Pepper rolled her eyes, a smile playing on her lips.

She bent down, pressing her lips against his. "Your breath smells awful," she said.

"You haven't brushed your teeth in a while, either."

Pepper shook her head. "No, I haven't. I'm a mess."

"A hot mess."

"Which way did you mean tha-?"

Tony interrupted her by bringing his lips to hers again, and she could feel the crushing desire behind them. "I love you."

"I love you too."

She kissed him back, craving the familiarity and comfort that laced his lips. In that moment, neither cared about their condition. Or the emotional turmoil they'd been through with the snap. All that mattered were the unspoken promises between their lips, and the knowing feeling that it was going to be okay passing between them.

"Tony?" A small voice came below.

Tony looked over, Peter sitting there tearfully. He sat up. "Come here, kid."

Peter ran over, slowing down when he realized how poor a condition Tony was in.

"You won't break me," Tony said quietly.

Peter gave him a sad look, taking his hand instead of hugging him. "Are you gonna be okay?"

"I always am," Tony replied dryly, pulling Peter in.

   Peter cried into Tony's hospital gown. "I was so scared I was gonna lose you."

   "Shhh. It's okay, now. I'm sorry I scared you, Pete."

   Peter sniffed. "This is the second time this year you've tried killing yourself. Promised me you're not going to do something stupid like that again."

   Tony ran a hand through Peter's soft hair. It wasn't fluffy like it usually was, but instead greasy from his lack of showering.

   "Only if you can do the same," Tony said.

   "Pinky promise," Peter said, extending his hand.

   "Pinky promise," Tony repeated, wrapping his little finger around Peter's.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.9K 978 11
(book 1) y/n stark is really not here for this european school vacation because in this post-endgame world, she's mourning the loss of her dad. but o...
1.2K 15 10
!!! IT'S NOT STARKER !!! !!! IT'S COMPLETE AND REVIEWED !!! Tony Stark and Steve Rogers adopt the amazing and sweet Peter Parker, who has lost all hi...
107K 4.9K 33
[#4 in PTSD -07/27/19] Peter Parker was one of the few survivors on an attack on New York. Some people thought it was terrorists, others thought they...
33.1K 807 22
Ever since you've claimed your last name, Stark, everything is different. You not only got a dad, but a huge family (the Avengers, and Linda, of cour...