Bone of Contention (Underswap...

By TheIndianaCrew

Humanity is divided over one thing---the Monsters' reappearance. Some believe that they should stay abovegrou... More

Chapter 1: "The Protest"
Chapter 2: "The Waitress"
Chapter 3: "Ebott City Park"
Chapter 4: "Change of Plans"
Chapter 5: "Resentment"
Chapter 6: "Save the Date"
Chapter 7: "The Brothers"
Chapter 8: "An Unfavorable Meal"
Chapter 9: "Stranger Danger"
Chapter 10: "Muffet's"
Chapter 11: "The New Employee"
Chapter 12: "A Friend Meets A Foe"
Chapter 13: "Reassurance"
Chapter 14: "Deux"
Chapter 15: "Dismissed"
Chapter 16: "Compadres"
Chapter 17: "Chocolatey Confections"
Chapter 18: "Cadillacs and Cologne"
Chapter 19: "Old Spice Makes Everything Nice"
Chapter 20: "Safety is Necessary"
Chapter 21: "Him"
Chapter 22: "Every Cloud has a Silver Lining"
Chapter 23: "Birthday Shenanigans'
Chapter 24: "Cigarettes and Honey"
Chapter 25: "Fun and Games"
Chapter 26: "It Still Haunts You"
Chapter 27: "A New Change"
Chapter 28: "The Arrival"
Chapter 29: "Reunited Again"
Chapter 30: "Embarrassment"
Chapter 31: "Turning Over A New Leaf"
Chapter 32: "Bitterness"
Chapter 33: "The Companions"
Chapter 34: "The Detective"
Chapter 35: "For the Greater Good"
Chapter 36: "Dubuc's Ice Cream Shoppe"
Chapter 37: "A Cat and Mouse Experience"
Chapter 38: "Questionable Decisions"
Chapter 39: "Friendly Revelations"
Chapter 40: "Recuperation"
Chapter 41: "Laughter is the Best Medicine"
Chapter 43: "Night Owls"
Chapter 44: "Dreams and Disasters"
Chapter 45: "Carpe Diem"
Chapter 46: "Discord"
Chapter 47: "A Good Samaritan"
Chapter 48: "Consolation"
Chapter 49: "Rest and Relaxation"
Chapter 50: "Birds of a Feather Flock Together"
Chapter 51: "Breaking The Ice"
Chapter 52: "A Mysterious Place"
Chapter 53: "Rejuvenated"
Chapter 54: "Beneath the Surface"
Chapter 55: "Bad Blood"
Chapter 56: "Tension"
Chapter 57: "Sweet Beginnings"
Chapter 58: "Affliction"
Chapter 59: "Love-Struck"
Chapter 60: "Introspection"

Chapter 42: "Strange Squad Goals"

5.1K 210 669
By TheIndianaCrew

After a long night of fun and games, you looked at the clock to see that time truly does fly by when your having fun, for you thought it was merely 9:30 PM, but the true time ended up being an astounding 11:00 PM. Definitely later than Papyrus, or Sans meant to stay.

"OH STARS! IT'S WAY PAST MY CURFEW ALREADY!" Sans suddenly gasped, jumping up from his chair. "Oh, geez! You can't be serious! It's already that late?" Maia asked in response, cocking her head to the side. "'parently." Papyrus replied with a big yawn, stretching.

"I have no idea where the time went, but I'm extremely grateful I got to spend tonight with you three." You commented, smiling as you went to stand up, but, Papyrus quickly took your hand gently and squeezed it which made you stop immediately.

"likewise, ya know, i had a blast tonight 'n' stuff. let's do this more often." Papyrus agreed, a smile on his face. Sans brightened up at Papyrus' suggestion, his smile widening and his irises growing in his eye sockets. "THAT'S A BRILLIANT IDEA! WE MUST DO THAT IN THE FUTURE!" Sans shouted in response and Maia clapped excitedly. "Heck yeah!" Then, she paused, biting her lip, her smile disappearing for a mere second. She remembered that she doesn't live here, didn't she? That's sad. So, you gave her a gentle smile to hopefully cheer her up, which it seemed to do just a little bit.

"So, what're we doing now? You boys have to go, don't you?" You asked, biting your lip as you looked to Sans, then Papyrus. They exchanged glances, humming in thought and Sans tapped his chin with a phalange. "WELL-"

Sans was suddenly cut off by a loud knock on your front door. That caused concern to race through your mind. Especially since there's no way for the public to come into this apartment complex without the key. Unless, they broke in, or they're simply a neighbor. But a neighbor knocking at 11:00 PM? Unlikely. So, you bit your lip, turning to Papyrus, your (e\c) eyes holding fear within them.

"You don't think that's 'him', do you?" You asked, your heart beginning to thud in your chest. Papyrus turned his skull to the door and stared at it seriously. "i don't know..." He spoke quietly and with hesitation, you began to stand up, but he squeezed your hand again. "stop. just leave them." He spoke and you looked to him. "WELL, IT SOUNDS AS IF THEY ALREADY LEFT! I'M SURE IT'S JUST ONE OF YOUR NEIGHBORS ASKING FOR SUGAR!" Sans chimed in and your eyebrows furrowed. "At 11:00 PM?" Maia questioned and Sans shrugged his shoulders. "I MEAN, WHY NOT?" He responded and Maia clicked her tongue. "Huh, you have a point if they were baking, but why bother your neighbor at 11:00 PM?" Maia once again pointed out.

Sans was going to reply, but the knock repeated, even louder this time. It was almost laced with a sense of determination due to its commanding and brisk sound. This made your heart beat faster, and your grip on Papyrus' hand strengthen as you began to shake. "Oh God.... It's... It's..." Your voice began to waver due to the intense anxiety filling your head and it seemed Papyrus couldn't handle it, he stood up and let go of your hand. "i'm gonna deal with 'em." He rasped and your heart skipped a beat. "PAPY, NO! SIT BACK DOWN!" Sans commanded, but Papyrus started to walk forward anyways, causing you to stop his stride by grabbing a hold of his shirt. "No, Papyrus. H-he could hurt you!" You pleaded and he froze, then as he began to turn to you, you let go. "well, what're we supposed to do then?" He asked, sighing gently. "Let me go with you to open it, Papyrus." Maia spoke but you shook your head immediately. "N-no. Not you either, Maia." You spoke, getting up and walking to Papyrus' side, looking up at him. "no, you ain't opening the door." Papyrus spoke commandingly, his hand reaching forward and laying on your shoulder. "Y-you're right, I won't-alone... Papy will you... Uh... O-open the door with me?" You asked nervously.

Papyrus furrowed his 'bone'brows for a second, then let his hand fall from your shoulder as he nodded slowly. "only if you stand behind me." He sighed, continuing to trudge forward. You bit your lip and nodded, but as you followed in his footsteps, one more hearty knock sounded out. That make you quicken your pace, slipping past Papyrus to the peephole in the door.

The person is tall, most likely male. But thanks to their height and how close they're to the door, you can't see their face. That's not good, because ruling in the height, this could very likely be Austin for sure. And with this person's style, it's also likely be Austin. A gray sweater layered over a white button up shirt. And along with that is a pair of relaxed fit blue jeans.

"who is it?" Papyrus whispered and you frowned, stepping away. "I don't know. Too tall and too close." You spoke, biting your lip and he gently pushed you behind him swiftly. "well, imma make sure this kid doesn't come back for real this time..." He spoke, then scowled and bared his teeth angrily as he undid the deadbolt, then snatching open the door, his left eye glowing a bright orange. His free arm instantly went out and held you back from danger's way. "okay ya dingus, who the heck do you think you ar-" He froze, causing your eyes to widen as you feared the worst.

"WHO IS IT, PAPY?" Sans gasped and Maia shifted in her seat uncomfortably. "Papyrus, (Y\N), who the heck is it?!" Maia asked urgently. And as Papyrus just continued to stare blankly, you slowly bent to the side to see what was up. And when you finally could see the person unobstructed, your eyes locked with theirs. His familiar gray gaze blinked in confusion.

"WHAT THE ABSOLUTE HELL, MR. SMITH?! DO YOU NOT HAVE A DAMN BRAIN?! YOU SHOULD VERY WELL KNOW YOU SHOULDN'T JUST SHOW UP AT MY DOOR AT 11:00 PM AFTER WHAT HAPPENED WITHOUT CALLING FIRST! I WAS NEARLY HAVING A PANIC ATTACK YOU ASSHOL-" You suddenly shouted angrily, your (e\c) eyes narrowing before Papyrus cut you off, covering your mouth with his hand. Sans gasped at the sudden profanity and Maia snorted, quickly falling onto the floor laughing.

Mr. Smith shuffled on his feet awkwardly, his hand rubbing his neck. "I tried to call... But it went straight to voicemail both times I tried. He explained and you furrowed your eyebrows. You lifted your hand and used it to move Papyrus' hand from your mouth and then you smiled nervously. Anger still was present in your demeanor, but not as much. "Oh, right... My phone glitches like that sometimes." You spoke, clearing your throat embarrassedly.

"I needed to get in touch with you and since I didn't expect Mr. Papyrus was going to be with you, I didn't think to call him." He explained and you cocked your head to the side. "Oh... Well, why did you need to get in contact?" You asked suddenly and he let out a sigh. "Mind if I step in for a second?" He asked and you shook your head, stepping back. "Not at all, come join us." You offered and Mr. Smith dipped his head respectively. "Thank you, ma'am." He replied before walking past Papyrus into the apartment.

"HELLO AGAIN, SIR!" Sans spoke, waving to Mr. Smith and he waved back, but when his eyes met Maia's his own eyebrows furrowed. "Oh, if it isn't Maia the mischief-maker." He spoke crossing his arms and leaning on one hip. She smirked at this. "You remember me? I feel accomplished." Maia replied as Papyrus shut and secured the door again. "Of course. That was a brand new suit you ruined! How could I ever forget that?" He asked and you blinked in confusion. "Wait, Maia what did you do?" You asked, looking to her.

Maia's grin widened with smugness and Mr. Smith rolled his eyes. "I may have poured my drink on him at a party once." She spoke, then broke into a giggling fit. "I was flirting with her friend and I don't think she liked that one bit." Mr. Smith commented, sighing and once Maia stopped laughing, she looked up to the tall man. "Well no shhh-poop Sherlock!" She started, but almost slipped up and once she realized her correction, she blushed in embarrassment before laughing again.

But, what happened next was completely unexpected, Sans stood up from his chair and stomped one foot on the ground, completely fed up. But, by what? That's the thought that seemed to plague everyone's minds as they turned to him.

"STOP CENSORING THINGS AROUND ME! I AM NOT A DAMN CHILD!" He spoke flatly and Papyrus choked, his voice becoming hoarse for one second. "bro, i thought-" He started, but Sans crossed his arms and tapped his foot on the ground. "I AM 20, PAPYRUS. I HAVE A JOB. THE WORKPLACE ISN'T ALWAYS KID FRIENDLY. I MAY DISLIKE SWEARING MORE THAN MOST, BUT I AM TIRED OF BEING SEEN SO INFERIOR!" He huffed and Maia's mouth dropped open. "Holy shit." She spoke and Sans whipped to face her. "THANK YOU!" He shouted, gesturing his hand in her direction in a 'finally!' sense. "Huh. Didn't see that coming." Mr. Smith spoke under his breath and you nodded in agreement.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Sans! If I had known, I wouldn't have worried so much about possibly swearing in your presence." You quickly apologized, dipping your head gently. He sighed, then shook his head. "DON'T APOLOGIZE. I UNDERSTAND WHY YOU THREE WERE CAUTIOUS... I MEAN, LOOK AT ME. I SUPPOSE I'M VERY CHILDISH AND ALL..." He murmured, then Maia shook her head. "Childish? No! You're 100% man, Sans! You're just really quirky and I love that about your personality!" Maia complimented him and he blushed. "Y-YOU SURE?" He stuttered, looking down at his feet cutely. She smiled, nodding in response. "I'm absolutely positive, Sansy!" Maia replied, her green eyes bright.

Sans blushed even more at her nickname for him, his cheeks turning a deep blue. But after covering his face bashfully for a few seconds, he suddenly stopped inhibiting his zeal and just run to Maia, pulling her into a big bear hug. Maia's face reddened at this action, but she gratefully hugged him back, squeezing him tightly.

Papyrus nudged you as soon as he saw the hug, and once you turned to look at him, he pulled you into a similar hug with a wonderful grin. You got onto your tip-toes in response to this bone-crushing hug, completely beaming as you hugged him back merrily.

"Damn, I'm forever alone, aren't I?" Mr. Smith spoke up amongst all the hugging, walking to the couch and taking a seat. Once all four had separated, Sans shook his skull. "NO! I'M SURE YOU HAVE SOMEONE OUT THERE." He reassured him. Mr. Smith pursed his lips, sighing before looking away. "Ah, yes. Thank you, sir. But it's not that I don't believe someone's out there for me. I'm just afraid the universe is adamant on keeping us apart." He spoke, running a hand through his hair gently. "PROBABLY." Sans replied causing you to gasp. "Sans!" You fussed and he furrowed his 'bone'brows. "OH, COME ON. I AM NOT THAT INCORRECT, (Y/N)! WITH THE WAY HE PREYS ON WOMEN, THE UNIVERSE IS PROBABLY WAITING FOR HIM TO IMPROVE SO HE CAN GET HIS ONE TRUE LOVE!" He exclaimed and Mr. Smith shrugged. "Perhaps, I suppose he is correct." Mr. Smith replied, giving Sans the benefit of the doubt.

"anyway, didn't ya have stuff to tell us, 'smitty?" Papyrus asked as he walked to a chair, sitting down. "Ah, yes. You remembered at last. How lovely, Papyrus." Mr. Smith replied, clearing his throat and fixing his shirt. Sans sat down beside him quickly and Maia soon took the other free chair. That left no seats for you. And as you prepared to sit on the floor, Papyrus beckoned you over. "c'mere. just sit on my lap, (y/n). i promise it ain't that bony." Papyrus promised. Mr. Smith pulled a notebook from his pocket, flipping through it. "I certainly hope not, I do believe that'd just make it awkward for the rest of us." He spoke nonchalantly and Maia snorted, chuckling loudly in response. But, Sans didn't quite get it and cocked his head to the side in confusion. Perhaps, he's not as mature as he thinks he is, or maybe he just doesn't get dirty jokes.

With hesitation and much embarrassment, you sat on his lap lightly. A part of you was concerned you'd hurt his skeletal structure if you put all your weight on him, so you didn't. But, of course the clever skeleton noticed this and put his hands on your torso, sliding you further onto his lap. And at this, your face heated up and you stared wide-eyed at Maia who once again broke into a laughing fit. "ya think i can't handle a single person on my lap? well, i assure you i've gone through much worse. i would say this is actually quite nice... with asgore, it was not." Papyrus commented and you giggled lightly. "He's thicc." You replied and Papyrus nodded, grinning as he laid his head onto your shoulder. "eeyup, he is a thicc boyo." Papyrus replied and both you and Maia laughed.

After the laughter had subsided, you turned to face Mr. Smith. "Anyways, sorry about that. What did you need to tell us, Mr. Smith?" You asked, trying to relax in Papyrus' strange embrace. Mr. Smith put the notepad he held in his hands onto his thigh, clicking his tongue and sighing. "I am here because Austin was spotted in the area. A witness reported it around 10:20 PM and we were concerned he may be up to some revenge scheme." He began to explain, causing you to bite the inside of your cheeks gently.

"that ain't good." Papyrus rasped, moving his head from your shoulder. "No, it certainly is not. So, I contacted your landlord, explained you were in danger and I got the key to the complex and came up to tell you. Two policemen are watching both entrances to make sure you guys stay safe."

"WELL, IS THERE ANYTHING WE CAN DO TO KEEP HER SAFE? NOT EXACTLY SURE WHAT HAPPENED, BUT THIS SEEMS VERY BAD!" Sans exclaimed and Maia nodded. "Yeah, can we do anything at all?" Maia asked and Mr. Smith nodded. "Yes, but it's what you all likely expect me to say. Stay with her. At least until he seems to have left the area." He replied. "WELL, WE CAN DO THAT!" Sans chirped with a wide smile. "Slumber party time!" Maia shouted excitedly and Mr. Smith jumped slightly at the sudden yell. "eyyyy, that'll be fun!" Papyrus grinned, pulling you a bit closer in his lap. "Squad goals!" You joked through the 'lap awkwardness'.

"You four enjoy that tonight, and stay safe. If things escalate, call me and we'll have you moved to a safehouse. We don't want to risk your safety any more than it already has been." Mr. Smith commented as he stood up and Papyrus nodded his skull. "agreed, bucko." He replied.

Sans' blue irises scanned the room in thought, his 'bone'brows furrowing as he contemplated something. "WELL, MR. SMITH. THIS MAY SEEM LIKE AN ODD OFFER, BUT YOU'RE WELCOME IF YOU'D LIKE TO STAY WITH US TONIGHT!" He chirped and Papyrus whipped his skull around to face his little brother. His countenance portraying shock that his brother offered Mr. Smith the chance to stay. Mr. Smith, and Maia both looked equally as shocked, and well, you too of course.

"Really?" He spoke in surprise, his gray gaze filled with confusion and disbelief. And, Sans being the friendly guy he is nodded. "OF COURSE! ANY TIME, ISN'T THAT RIGHT, GUYS?" He spoke sweetly, the irises in his eye sockets twinkling. Mr. Smith blinked a few times, then cocked his head to the side. "Why would you-" He began, but Sans cut him off. "BECAUSE, YOU SEEM LIKE YOU NEED SOME FRIENDLINESS IN YOUR LIFE! ONE NIGHT OF PLAYFULNESS WON'T DO YOU BAD!" Sans explained, holding his arms in front of himself as he looked up to meet the tall man's gaze. "Well, he's not wrong, Noah. And you're definitely welcome if you'd like to stay." You spoke to him with a gentle smile, causing him to look to you, his hand moving to his chest. "Oh-" He seemed to get caught on his words, his body language conveying a sudden feeling of gaiety. And well, a smile formed on his lips, not just a sleazy smirk, but a true and honest smile you haven't seen too much of before.

"uh, yeah. you're welcome at our place too if you ever just want someone to chill with." Papyrus said hesitantly before scratching his cervical vertebrae. "I'd offer you to do the same at my place, but I live in California." Maia explained, then smiled, leaning forward in her chair and propping her head up on her palm.

"Oh, oh man... Uh, thank you all very much." He spoke, his voice wavering slightly with emotion. And, another fact that surprised you was you could see slight tears in the corners of Mr. Smith's eyes. Something so simple really seemed to move the confusing man. "It's no problem, Noah." You replied and everyone echoed a similar thing to your comment in response to his thanks.

"WELL, WHAT IS IT GOING TO BE, MR. SMITH? WILL YOU JOIN OUR SLUMBER PARTY?" Sans looked to him hopefully and Smith rubbed the back of his neck gently. "It's a lovely offer and all, but I must get home." He spoke before he dipped his head. "My son sometimes doesn't like truthfully going to bed without me tucking him in and saying goodnight." He explained with that honest and kind smile.

"YOU HAVE A SON?!" Sans spoke in surprise and he nodded. "Yep, and I love him dearly. He just recently turned 7, he's really grown up so fast!" He exclaimed, very much showing his 'proud father' side. "OH, WOW! WELL, YOU SHOULD GO HOME AND TELL HIM GOODNIGHT THEN! IF MY BEDTIME WAS HOURS AGO, SO WAS HIS. MWEH HEH HEH!" Sans laughed. Mr. Smith laughed as well, nodding. "Yes, yes. You're very right about that. Thank you, guys." He started, thinking for a moment. "You all brightened my night and I cannot thank you enough for that." He finished, dipping his head again respectively. "There's no need to thank us, Mr. Smith!" Maia replied, standing up.

Thinking for a moment, you hopped up out of Papyrus' lap and ran to Mr. Smith, pulling him into a hug. "I'm glad we could make you happy, Noah. Thank you so much for what you've been doing for the case. You're a wonderful man, even if you don't seem like it at first." You spoke to him and he gently hugged you back. "Ah, thank you so much, (Y\N). I really appreciate it. And truly, there's no need to thank me. It's been my honor." He responded before gently pulling away. Sans seemed to be next in line, for as soon as you were out of the way, he sprang up and ran to Mr. Smith, hugging him too. That definitely took him off guard, but he hugged him back anyways.

As soon as Sans had separated from Mr. Smith, Papyrus got up and let out a grunt at the sudden movement lazily. But once he stretched out, he walked to Mr. Smith and gave him a fist bump. "have a safe trip home, buddo." He rasped, stepping away. And next came Maia, her long blonde hair bobbing up and down as she walked to him, and once again taking him by surprise, she pulled him into a hug, her head against his chest very faintly. "Sorry for ruining your suit, Mr. Smith. Well, I don't regret it, but I'm sorry. Anyway, have a nice trip home and good luck with your son!" She told him before stepping back, beaming. "I forgive you, and very much understand why you did it. I definitely was out of hand." He admitted, shuffling on his feet awkwardly.

"Hey, when you get home, tell Noah Jr. his 'sugar mama' says hello." You joked, going back to the second time you had seen Mr. Smith. He grinned, then chuckled heartily. "Oh, dear. He did ask you to be that, didn't he?" He spoke with humor in his eyes. "I'll be sure to tell him." He added, nodding his head. "Alright, thank you. Be safe!" You told him and he nodded. "Same to you all! Adiós!" Mr Smith replied, walking to the door and opening it. "Bye!" Everyone spoke in unision, waving to him goodbye. And as soon as he waved back, he dipped his head and walked out of the small apartment, closing the door behind him.

And with Mr. Smith's departure begins a new chapter in tonight's fun, a slumber party. Shouldn't that be quite riveting? After all, you haven't had a proper slumber party in a very long time, so you look forward to the shenanigans that this'll create.

------------------------------------

Authors Note:

Oof! I'm back at last. I pushed so hard to get this chapter out tonight, so I really hope you guys like it. Especially since I have conflicted feelings over it. But, hey it's almost 4:00 AM, I may be overly anxious lol.

It's been really weird and hard recently for me, but I was able to update both my main stories which I'm very grateful for! Thank you guys for reading my stuff and for staying patient. I really appreciate it!

This is a quick A/N, so imma say what I gotta say pretty fast. Anyways, happy belated Happy Holidays! And, Happy New Year as well! It's hard to fathom that it's already 2019! I hope you guys have been having a great year so far!

My question of this update is... What's your favorite song currently? Post the name and artist down below. I'm actually quite curious to see what people will say! I think my top two at the moment are "Mr. Fear" by SIAMÉS and "Don't F**k With My Money" by Mystery Skulls! The former is a song I really relate to and it's helped me through a lot, and the latter is just a groovy song that I will always dance to XD (the video is also horrifyingly hilarious)

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, I had a pretty fun experience writing it! Thank you so much for reading! I really appreciate it! Your continued support really means so much to me and I value every comment. Thank you guys! Have a good day/night!

-Indiana

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 5.6K 17
• Art is by kane__i on Twitter • [Fem!Reader] 『 The group of skeletons were taken aback by the unexpected appearance of who exactly? You, of course. ...
96.1K 2.2K 10
You have lived in the underground for 4 months now, and had befriended the most adorable cinnamon roll ever, Sans. However, you couldn't help but to...
4.8K 209 38
You, a Witch, owned a potion shop in Ebott city where Monsters, Humans and supernatural beings lived in relative harmony. You had once had a chance e...
242K 10.8K 37
Underswap!Papyrus x Reader And some Fresh!Sans x Reader -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- It isn't hard to slip into a dream. You're happy with what...