OBSESSED

By badroommate

BOOK ONE of the Falling for a Muller series -(-)- her heart is on the mend, but his eyes are already set on h... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
sequel

20

45.3K 1.2K 116
By badroommate

LEAH

As I charged toward the locker room, the pain in my leg was overriden by the chaotic thoughts pinging through my head.  

Jarrod. Danny. Jarrod and Danny met each other.

Shit shit shit.

My life had evolved into a soap opera in a matter of minutes and I had to admit that this was not for me.

What is Jarrod doing at my gym? Why is Danny asking me to go to his work party with him? Again, what in the hell is Jarrod doing here?

I stumbled into the locker room and went directly to the sink. A woman tying her shoes on the bench glanced up with a concerned expression.

"You alright?" she asked.

Although the thought of faking a heart attack to escape this ridiculous situation crossed my mind, I nodded instead. "Fine, thanks."

The woman seemed more than willing to accept my excuse and exited the locker rooms. Meanwhile, I wet a paper towel and flopped onto the bench. Now that I was alone, the pain returned returned to the forefront of my attention.

An involuntary hiss slipped through my lips while I dabbed the cuts on my chin. Fortunately, only one of them was deep enough to bleed. I applied pressure to the cut and took a deep breath to collect my spiraling anxieties.

How was I going to get out of here? I didn't want to face either male outside those doors.

Should've just gone home and eaten the damn ice cream.

"Leah?" Jarrod called. "Are you okay?"

Panic tore through me. He appeared around the corner, his gaze locking on me.

"What are you doing?" I whisper-yelled. "This is the women's room!"

He knelt by my feet and examined my battered shins. I didn't argue as he removed the paper towel to get a better look. My breathing hitched, sounding suspiciously close to hyperventilation.

"It's just a cut," I said. "Seriously, it's no big deal."

The two copper pools swirling in his irises drew me in. A wave of calm washed over me.

"Deep breaths," he instructed softly. "There you go."

As I breathed deeply with him, the tightening in my chest gradually lessened until only a little ball of knots remained in my stomach. That wouldn't be going away until Jarrod removed his warm hands from my skin.

"It's superficial," he said, squeezing the calf of my wounded leg. "The bleeding's stopped, so we can put a bandaid on and you'll be as good as new."

"I wish that was true," I muttered. His eyes narrowed. "Jarrod, you have to get out of here before we get in trouble."

"I'm not leaving until I know you're okay."

I shot him an incredulous look. "I'm fine."

"You're not," he countered, scrutinizing my face again. "Do you want me to make him leave?"

"No, I don't want to cause a bigger scene." I pushed my face into my hands, sighing. "I just want to leave."

"Okay. Let's go." He stood up, offering me his hand.

I didn't want to leave with him. I mean, I did, but this was not how things were supposed to go.

However, my fear of getting in trouble was infinitely higher so I placed my hand in his and let him lead me out of the locker room. Jarrod guided me out with a hand on my lower back, stopping only to grab my gym bag from the bike and throw it over his shoulder.

My heart flapped wildly at that simple gesture. He interpreted my needs without even needing to be asked. I would have been content to leave the whole bag behind, though my car keys were in it.

I kept my head down to block out Danny and prevent Jarrod from seeing the effect his thoughtful actions had on me.

Once we reached my car, I leaned against the hood and crossed my arms. I wasn't good at being stern, but I had to try.

He placed my bag beside me and mirrored my stance.

"What are you doing here, Jarrod?" I asked.

He shifted closer and I had to dip my head back to see his face. He was just so tall. And muscular.

"I'm trying out new gyms," he said rather lamely.

"And you just happened to try out mine while I was here? On the same day you sent me flowers?"

He smiled. "Did you like them?"

I opened my mouth to confess how beautiful they were but realized what he was doing. This man was shameless.

"Don't change the subject," I grumbled. "I'm not stupid or blind, Jarrod. I don't believe in coincidence either."

"I think you are the farthest thing from stupid," he spoke earnestly, puncturing my shield yet again with his tender gaze. "You want the truth?"

"Always."

He rubbed his neck and wet his lips. "I drove to Seasons as soon as I got off. I'd hoped to catch you on your way out, but you were leaving as I was pulled in. So I just . . . followed you."

I noticed his blue scrubs and decided it was probably the truth. "Why were you trying to talk to me? You could've just texted me back, you know."

"I did, babe."

Frowning, I pulled my phone from my pocket. There was indeed a text from Jarrod awaiting my attention on my lock screen.

JARROD: Sorry this took so long, been a busy day. U still at work?

"Okay." I blushed. "That's beside the point, though. I asked for space. It's not even been twenty-four hours."

His fingers tucked a sweaty strand of hair behind my ear, and the gesture made my heart into premature cardiac arrest.

"I want to give you everything you ask for," he said, his voice a sweet melody in my ear. "Including space, if that's what you believe is best. The flowers were just a gesture, but when you texted me . . . I thought the door might still be cracked."

My entire body simmered with heat. I tried to duck my head, but he held my chin up.

"I never said the door was closed," I murmured. "It's not that I don't want to be with you. I just need to sort through my shit."

"If your shit is that asshole in there"—he jerked a thumb over his shoulder toward the gym—"you made it pretty clear that was already sorted. And why do you think you have to do this alone? I can help you, Leah."

The intensity of his stare unraveled all sense and rationality. I was crippled by the effect he had on me.

"Have dinner with me," he said.

I chuckled and broke away from his gaze. "Yeah, because that ended so well last night."

He took my hand and brought it to his cheek, nuzzling into my palm. "It won't end that way tonight. I promise."

My head hurt, but my heart was pounding a mile a minute. It was hard to deny him when he was here, touching me and talking to me. That was probably why he'd stalked me, expecting my reasoning would fall away under his persistent charm.

I should have been angry to know he could play me so well. But I wasn't.

"I'll cook for you," he ventured. "I can make a mean pot of spaghetti."

Taking the corner of my mouth between my teeth, I searched deep inside for a final shred of strength. He pressed his lips to my palm and my core spasmed.

"Friday," I choked out.

He looked disappointed but nodded. "Four whole days away from you might kill me, but I'll take what I can get."

My lips defied me, quirking into a smile. "It's called compromise, honeybuns."

"Honeybuns." He smirked. "I can get used to that."

I grabbed my bag and threw it in the passenger seat next to my purse. Jarrod held open the driver's door for me.

"Think you can drive on that leg?" he teased as I slid into the cab.

"I think I'll manage."

He leaned down to kiss my cheek. My heart leaped into my throat as another blush seeped across my face.

"I'll see you Friday," he said and closed my door.

I held my breath until he disappeared and sank into the leather seat. Everything in me was buzzing with excitement and hope.

He was crazy for following me, and I was crazy for agreeing to another date. Although a fading nudge in my mind warned me that this was all going too fast, I didn't care anymore.

Our mutual attraction was overwhelming and consuming. My desire for him was beginning to outweigh my fears.

He wasn't like Danny. He wanted me for me, and damn was that refreshing.

The tiniest smile occupied my face the entire drive home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

186K 9.7K 39
**Rated M for Mature** A four f*cking letter word. It's never been enough to explain what they are. It never will be enough to explain what they ar...
801K 32.1K 61
DISCRETION SERIES - Stand Alone - BOOK #5 ♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎ " I only trust you, Tesoro.. " He muttered once again, not budging when I tried to pull...
99.5K 3.1K 18
"𝘽𝙚𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙚 𝙢𝙮 𝙨𝙚𝙘𝙧𝙚𝙩𝙖𝙧𝙮." "𝙊𝙠𝙖𝙮." __________꧁✩꧂__________ 𝘼 𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙧𝙮 𝙞𝙣 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙝 𝙖 𝘾𝙀𝙊 𝙗...
403K 33.6K 68
THEY SAID, DARK LOVE'S DART FIND FIRST IT'S DESTINATION SHADOWS THEN YOUR SENSES; RIGHT OR WRONG DARK AND DIM WINSOME AND WONDERFUL TARGETED AND T...