One Affection

By NiallSquared

Caroline and her friends, Elaine, Ava, and Isabelle, were trying to make it through their senior year of high... More

Overview
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 16

68 2 1
By NiallSquared

Chapter 16

(The Wednesday Before Break. Jack's Thoughts.)

"Hey Zayn. Wait up!" I yelled across the quad.

It was Monday morning and I had a question for him.

"Where's Caroline? Did you walk with her this morning?"

"Nope, she has the Audi now. And Niall. Why you looking for her? I thought you hated each other." Zayn said.

"I have to talk to her. Do you know where I could look?" I asked him.

"Why don't you text her?"

"Oh, right."

I pulled out my iPhone to figure out where she was. A blonde approached Zayn and I.

"Hi Zayn, hello... and your name is?"

"I'm Jack. Nice to meet you... who are you?" I asked trying to be as polite as possible.

"Perrie." she said.

"Nice to meet you. Hey, you wouldnt happen to know where Caroline is, would you?" I asked this girl I barely knew.

"Actually, she's in the studio." Perrie answered.

"Thank you so much." I said graciously. "Wait, you were at the hang out at her house last weekend. Right?"

"Right." she answered.

"Nice to officially meet you." I said giving her a hug. "I gotta get going."

"See you in homeroom Jack?" asked Zayn.

"Yes sir. I have that project to work on." I said.

I walked off. Where was the studio? I had no clue. There was Josh and Preston. Why not drag them along on this adventure. It's not like they didn't follow me everywhere already. Zayn was my only independent friend. The other two, complete followers. How else we would have started dating Top Three if it weren't for me?

Oh ,the Top Three. I should probably explain. Elaine, Isabelle, and Ava. The three most admired in all of Wheeler. They broke away from Care and gave themselves the name. Which I didn't really care about. It means I am dating the most popular girl in school. I helped them make it to the top too.

What a great person I was.

"Where are you headed?" asked Josh.

"The studio. I have to find Caroline." I said.

"Why do you have to find that bitch?" asked Preston.

He felt the same hatred as I did. Mostly because of the relationship with our girls and her. Josh didn't hate her as much, but still didn't love her.

"I decided that I would apologize to her. For all that happened in the past few weeks." I explained.

"Do you mean it?" asked Josh.

"Obviously not, but she was Lainey's best friend at one point. I gotta at least pretend that we're on fine terms."

"But not even Lainey and Care are on good terms." Preston said.

"And neither are Lainey and Harry. They used to be close." Josh added.

"Boys, do you really think that Lainey is really going to continue to hang out with that prick when she has me?" I said.

Being from a different country, with my American accent I stood out from everyone else. Making me one of the most appreciated guys at this school. And now I was even more popular from Lainey and the girls. But I helped with that too.

"I guess you're right." said Preston quietly.

"I know I'm right. Where the hell is the studio, you guys are coming with me." I said.

"Next door on our left." Josh said.

I approached the door and sure enough, there was Caroline. I peeked inside the window to make sure that the teacher wasn't there. I turned the handle and the three of us walked in like bosses.

"What the hell are you here for?" I heard an Irish voice ask.

"Horan. What are you here for?" I said back giving him a death stare.

"I'm helping my girlfriend, where are all of yours?" Niall asked.

I had to admit, he was more intimidating than I expected he would be the first time I met him. He was a lot more built than I remembered too. This kid had built a lot of muscle in the few months he was here for. Must have been working out with Styles and Payne.

"Not around. I wanted to talk to Miss. Holden. Could you excuse us?" I said calmly.

"No, Niall is staying." Caroline said walking out of the back room. "Hello, Josh, Preston, Jack."

"How are you this morning?" I asked her trying to break the ice a little.

"Just tell me what you came here to tell me." she said.

I took a deep breath. I knew this meant absolutely nothing to me, but I had to act like it did.

"I'm really sorry that Lainey and I didn't tell you from the start. And that I said all of those degrading things to you earlier in the year. It was all god damn awful of me to do. I'm truly sorry." I said trying to sound the slightest bit considerate.

Everything that I said was complete shit. Niall was staring me down. I think he knew.

"I'm calling bullshit. But, I want to put this behind us, and there are still the things that you said to me before you left for boarding school and plenty of things still unsettled." Caroline said.

I don't know why she cared about all of that stuff still. We hadn't talked about it in years. Neither of us have.

"I'm just going to attempt and drop it for now. I really just have to work on school, and getting prepared for this trip in a few days." she added.

"I understand. Truce for now?" I asked putting on a small smile.

Completely fake. I held out my hand attempting a handshake.

"For now. But it's highly likely I'm still not going to talk to any of you. I don't even talk to your girlfriends now." she said.

"I guess that's fair enough." I said.

She took my hand and shook it.

"Anything to add Niall?" I asked sarcastically.

"Show them the paintings." he said.

"Good idea." Caroline said.

I looked at the other two boys confused. They looked the same way. They lead us into a back room and there was a giant wall of drawers her paintings were stored in.

"Let me just pull them out. These were the first six I did. I still have 22 plus to go. But their going to be in the senior show at the end of the year." Care explained.

"When did you take pictures?" I asked.

"The hang out a couple of weekends ago." Preston said. "She had that sick camera. Remember?"

"Oh right." Josh and I said .

"Well what are the pictures of?" Preston added.

She pulled out 6 extremely well done paintings. One of Lainey and I, one of Josh and Belle, and one of Preston and Ava. Then there was one of the three of us guys doing something idiotic. One of Josh trying to be as tall as Preston, which is impossible. He's a shrimp. And one of my staring strait into the camera lens.

"These are impeccable." I admitted.

"Thank you." she said.

"What are these for?" Josh asked.

"The end of the year senior art show, and my grade in the class for the year." Caroline answered.

"And depending on the grade, if she can get into a great college." Niall added.

"They look great, Care." I said.

"I just wanted to do something a little different." she said.

"Good idea. I can't wait to see it all turn out."

"Thank you Jack."

"Well, we've gotta get going. We have to meet up with the girls before homeroom." I said.

"Ah, the Top Three. When did that happen?" asked Niall.

"A few weeks ago actually. They broke away from you guys." Preston snapped.

"Send them our best." Caroline said.

"We won't." said Preston.

"And back to the hatred." Care muttered.

We walked out of the room. And met up with the girls. Lainey was hanging all over me this morning. I didn't know why, but I was fine with it. Preston, Josh, Belle, and Ava left. I think they were cutting class this morning. Well my partners were gone, Lainey's were gone, looks like we were cutting too. We caught up with the others and went to the coffee shop to sit around for a while.

Break would be coming in a few days. A whole break to spend with Lainey. My family was going away, so she is going to stay with me. Along with the other boys and the girls. It was going to get wild. I knew it already.

__________________________

(Same Day. Homeroom. Louis' Thoughts.)

"I have pretty much all of the research done." I said.

"I wrote out the report last weekend when you guys were at my house." Care said.

"And I've arranged quite a lot of that presentation for the class. I typed out the oral report and we started the slide show on Care's MacBook." Niall said.

"We just have to put some finishing touches on don't we?" I asked them.

"And get some pictures. Then I think that's it. Right?" Niall asked.

"Yes. Wow, we got a lot of work done." I said.

"The slide show will be very quick to finish. I think we're almost finished." Care said.

"We did some insanely fast work didn't we?" I said. "And it isn't rubbish either."

"Looks great." Niall said.

"Easy report we've ever had to do." Care added.

I was so happy we were practically done. This way, our break in Ireland would be more of a vacation then for a project.

"Are you guys ready to go?" I asked.

"I'm not packed yet, but I'll be glad to get out of town." Care answered.

"Bringing any paintings?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. I think I should bring one or two." she said.

"You're going to bring like 5. I know you." Niall teased.

"No, really, I think I'm going to bring just the one of my Mum and Pop to focus on. I don't want her to see that one. I think it would be a nice surprise." she said.

We nodded.

"What other ones are you bringing?" asked Niall teasing.

"No. Seriously. I'm only bringing this one. And I'll bring my camera. In case we meet new friends there." she said.

"Yeah are you gonna introduce me to anyone Niall? I'm very single my best friends are all taken!" I said.

That was slightly true. I was getting kinda lonely. Harry was chasing after a girl, Liam had been with Danielle for a long while, Niall was dating Care. I was starting to feel like a third wheel.

"Absolutely. We'll be at a different pub or club every night. You're bound to meet someone!" Niall said.

"Are you serious?" I asked him.

"If you want me to be." he answered.

"Well, I kinda want you to be..." I admitted.

"It's inevitable that you were going to want to have a girl after most of us are together." Caroline said.

"Very true. If you really want me to I have a few friends back home in Mullingar that would love a cheeky boy like you Lou." Niall said flashing a smile.

When that boy smiles you can't not return it. He is just a genuine kid, and he has become one of my best friends in the past month.

"Sounds great chap." I said with a smile.

The bell rang for the next class. We all had band to go to next so we gathered our things and walked out the door with Liam.

"Hey Care, did you switch instruments yet?" Liam asked her.

"Finally yes, I'm learning how to play the baritone. It's better to sit near you than next to the most obnoxious boys in the grade with the saxophones." Care said.

"Sounds like it'll be fun considering I sit on the same side of the room." I added.

"It'll be a much appreciated change." Care smiled.

We walked and chatted a bit more.

"Danielle and I were considering stopping by the cottage while you're up there. Is there room for a fourth and fifth?" Liam asked.

"Of course. We may end up sleeping on the floor but it'll be better with close friends. There's a few couches, and all of you are invited now that the project is done." Niall said.

"So it's going to end up being Care, Liam, Danielle, Harry, Perrie, you and I?" I asked Niall.

"And maybe Zayn will join us. He's been hanging around us lately. Breaking away from Jack. That's a good thing." he said.

"And Lou will make things much more interesting." Care said with a smirk.

I threw my arm over her, kissed her cheek and we walked along.

"Easy there Lou. I'm gonna find you a girl, just take it easy on mine." Niall said with a smile and nudge.

__________________________

(That Night. Caroline's Thoughts.)

"What am I supposed to pack?" I fell back on my bed.

"Oh it's just a little trip. You don't need to get too fancy." Perrie said to me.

"Just put your normal clothes in a duffle and go." Danielle added.

"Did I mention you guys are invited for the week too?" I said.

"Liam told me." Danielle said.

"And Lou mentioned it to me." Perrie said.

"So are you guys all packed?" I asked them.

"We're not all going up until Sunday night. Only you Louis and Niall are leaving on Friday." said D.

"We're actually going to leave tomorrow night I think..." I said.

"Well, then maybe we are leaving earlier." said Perrie.

"Actually Liam said we're going to leave Saturday night and get there later. Are you and Zayn and Harry gonna ride with us?"Danielle said.

"I bet. You have one of those bigger cars right?" Perrie asked.

"Most likely." D answered.

"So, what do I pack?" I asked again.

The girls groaned. It was just the three of us. I have known them for such little time, but have a better friendship with them then I ever did with Elaine, Isabelle, and Ava. I loved these two. My two best girlfriends.

"Well, if he said we are going to be at the pub some nights, and the club others, then you need to consider that. You can wear everyday clothes at the pub but have to dress up a little for the club. And it's winter now." Danielle said.

"So jeans, nicer tops, sweaters, tees, cardigans, Toms, and my lace up black boots?" I asked them.

"And something nicer incase you do something fancier with Niall. And probably a few pairs of yoga pants and your half zips. And running gear. You're going to want that." Perrie added to my list.

"And something to sleep in. Can't forget that." Danielle added as well.

"Lingerie..." Perrie muttered.

I slapped her. And laughed at her joke.

"What did I do with out you guys?" I asked them.

"Die." D said.

We all kicked back and started laughing.

"Likely." I answered.

"I actually have to start packing tonight." said Perrie.

"Me too come to think of it. I'll pack practically the same things. So don't get worried. Oh and remember those new sneakers." Danielle said.

"Oh my god I almost forgot. Good call. I love those." I said.

I walked into my closet, the girls came in too.

"Oh I love this. Why haven't you worn it?" Perrie said picking up something.

I turned around to see what she had picked up. She held out a black sleeveless dress. The back was cut out completely and it formed a pretty heart on your back when you wore it.

"The tags are still on it." Danielle said.

"I was supposed to wear that when my parents renewed their vows in the fall. But he was still over in America." I said.

"Oh alright." Perrie said trying to drop the subject.

Everyone knew I hated talking about my dad, because they all know I miss him so much. I can only talk about him with Liam and Niall. They're my best friend and boy friend. And they are always curious. Especially Niall who has never met him.

"And it's too fancy to just wear everyday." Danielle added.

"Maybe I'll bring it. If Niall and I actually go out on a date, then I'm gonna need something nice." I said.

"Got any heels?" the girls asked.

"One pair. They're red. Is that alright?" I asked.

"Perfect!" they exclaimed.

"Ugh, do you really think we'll go somewhere fancy?" I groaned. "You guys know I don't dress up. Ever."

"You never know..." said Danielle holding it out a little.

"What do you guys know?" I retaliated.

"Niall may have told us something." Perrie teased.

What was he going to do? I didn't want anything big. Nothing too fancy. And not expensive. Oh boy, I was nervous.

"Your face just drained. Are you alright?" Perrie asked.

"Nerves hit me hard." I said sitting down on the floor of my closet.

The girls sat next to me an put there arms around me.

"Why are you nervous? It's just a little trip." Danielle said.

"It's with Niall. That's what makes me nervous." I answered.

"Do you not trust him?" asked Perrie.

"No, I trust him completely. Like I do you guys. But it's weird. I've never been on holiday with anyone other than my family." I said. "Have you been away with Liam before?"

"Well, our cottages are opposite each others so we always were together on holiday." D answered.

"I forgot about that." I said.

"Plus Louis will be there, and we'll be up in a few days. Just relax. You guys are going to have a great time." Perrie added.

"I guess you guys are right. I shouldn't be worried." I said.

"Then why are you so nervous?" asked D.

"I'm afraid." I said.

"Of what?" they both nearly yelled.

"I'm afraid I might love him."

__________________________

(Same night. Elaine's thoughts.)

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?!" Belle and Ava both screamed at me.

I had just told then my biggest secret. I had been keeping it to myself for a couple of weeks. I doubt Jack did, but I didn't want the girls to know just yet. I just kinda spilled it.

"YOU SLEPT WITH JACK?! LAINEY! OH MY FUCKING GOD. WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US!!" Ava yelled.

"Shhhh! I don't want my little brother to hear! Or my mother! She would kill me!" I whispered to them.

"When was this?! Why didn't you tell us?" Belle said.

"The night after Josh's party. After Caroline and Danielle decided to drop us. That night. I said I was going to stay at the flat again but Jack's parents were gone so he invited me over. And it... just... kinda happened..." I said.

"Oh my god. That is insane. Why didn't you tell us! Oh my god! Are you spending holiday with him? Ahh! Lainey! Come on!" Ava spat out all at once still squealing.

"I knew you would act like this! That's why!" I snapped at them.

"Sorry." they both said.

My attitude has changed since Caroline stopped hanging out with us. It is more demanding and bitchy, but it has helped me out. But the girls followed me around more, and we made it to the top. She was dragging us behind, while us three were working our way up.

"And yes, I am spending holiday with him. His family is not going to be home the whole time, so you guys need to say i'm staying at the flat all week with you two. Got it?" I said.

"Well, we were going to have Josh and Preston over anyway. And Meg is staying " Ava said.

"I figured you would." I said.

"Well, you've had your fun..." Belle said.

"And so have you two. I know that, everyone knows that." I snapped at them.

They looked down guilty. The girls had slept with Josh and Preston and plenty of other guys before. A lot of people knew that. But since they hung around with me, people were respecting them again. Which was good. Ava has been called a slut plenty of times. And a lot worse to Belle. But now, everyone dropped it since Jack helped us become the Top Three.

"Let's just drop it." Belle said getting annoyed.

"Fine." I said unsatisfied.

I don't know what had gotten into me, I think Caroline kept me level headed. But I couldn't stand that bitch anymore, so I guess this was the real me. Ever since that hang out, we got into a deep hatred for each other.

"Did you tell Harry?" Ava asked.

"He knows, I didn't tell him though. We don't talk anymore." I said.

"Well he's gonna be pissed." Belle said.

"He shouldn't give a damn about it." I snapped back.

We ended the conversation. It was about time we went to get something to eat. It was almost 7.

"Let's just go get a bit to eat." I said.

They nodded and we left.

__________________________

(Same night. Harry's thoughts.)

I drove to Care's house. No I didn't drive. I sped to Care's house. I just left that Cristina I've been dating alone.

I was just hanging out with her when I received a text from Zayn.

It said:

The worst has happened. Jack just told me. I'm done with those guys.

I knew he was talking about Elaine and Jack. I knew it was going to happen, I was just infuriated.

I pulled into Care's driveway and knocked on the door.

"Hello Harry, are Caroline and the other two expecting you?" asked her Mum.

"Nice to see you Katherine." I said giving her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Yes they are."

"Well you know where her room is."

"Thank you."

I walked past her. I didn't give the girls any warning. Ana peeked her head out of the kitchen.

"Hi babe." I said and gave her a kiss on the top of her head.

She blushed of course. She wasn't yet used to me, but she was good with Liam, Lou, and Zayn. She was never around when I was.

"Hi Harry. Just head up the stairs. I told them you were here. Sneaky chap aren't you?" she said.

Maybe she was used to me.

"Thank you." I said to her and ran up.

I opened the door to her room. Danielle and Perrie were helping her pack for her trip. They saw me walk in. But Care wasn't there.

"Where is she?" I questioned.

"I'm right here Harry." I heard her say.

She walked out of her washroom wearing a black dress that showed her off very well. It was backless and sleeveless. She looked...

"Absolutely stunning." I heard myself say.

"Oh shut up." Caroline said.

"No. I'm serious." I said giving her a smile.

"What's up? Ana came to tell us you were here." she said.

"Bad news. Mostly for me. But I needed moral support." I said.

I was truly hurting. My former best friend had drifted away from me. She is gone, and off to sleep with guys all over. The hardest part is that I love her. More than anything. I didn't know how to start or what to say.

"Elaine." Caroline said.

"And Jack." I added.

Her face flickered through emotions. She knew what happened. Her smile fell. Her eyes looked tired. And while she broke down, so did I.

I sat down on her bed and she came right next to me. I pulled her in close. No tears were falling for either of us. But we sat in silence for a while. Just Care and I snuggled into each other. The girls came and put their arms around us. It was all just sad. We stayed like this for a long while. Just thinking.

"I think I have to give up on her." I broke the silence.

"But you can't!" Perrie said.

"What do you mean?" I said.

"Fighting for love." she answered me.

I looked at Perrie who's arms were around me. I barely knew this girl, yet we had become close friends already.

"It's just like I said in the hall that day after the fight. Don't give up. Until your feelings are gone. Don't give up on her." Care said.

"I love you guys." I said completely serious.

"And we love you." Danielle added.

I smiled. And kissed Danielle's temple. We all broke away from each other. I sprawled out on the floor.

"I'm going up with you and Niall and Lou tomorrow. I don't want to be around here." I said.

"Well, better get packed." Care said to me.

"You too. Looks like you have nothing done but that dress." I said.

"I have my jeans and running gear packed. I just gotta add my shoes, and shirts, and the other random things." she answered.

"Make sure to bring that though." I said.

I had talked to Niall earlier in the week. He said to make sure that Caroline had a nice dress to wear. He had a big night planned for Friday apparently. Which means that Lou an I would be at a pub for most of the time.

"Did Niall say something to you too?" she asked me.

"Only to make sure you had something nice to wear." I answered her.

She looked nervous. Then again, she had always been a nervous traveler. Never knowing what to pack, or anything else. Liam and I managed to calm her down a lot of the time.

"Well, is this nice enough?" she asked me.

"You look sexy Caroline." I said with a wink.

She threw a pillow at me.

"Bloody hell! What was that for!" I said.

"For being a pervert." she answered.

I flashed her a cheeky grin.

"Only being honest..." I said under my breath.

And another pillow hit me.

End of Chapter 16.

I'm so so sorry for this extremely late update. I have been extremely busy with work and my soccer tryouts. So I haven't had much downtime.

Anyway... what did you all think?

Please tweet me: @ElHolden1D

Email me: ElHolden1D@gmail.com

Or inbox me on here with suggestions!

I would also like to thank @minshi @missymoo1173 for creating some nice book covers! I may be looking out for more or using one of my own but I'll keep you all posted.

Thank you for reading!

I love you all.

xx

El.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.9K 508 38
Go on tour with the most famous boyband in the world? Check. Fall completely and madly in love with the members? Check. Lose them forever? Check. For...
286K 5.6K 77
Christina meets the boys of One Direction unexpectedly, so does her best friend Monique. Things start changing fast when Christina falls for Niall. B...
257K 10.4K 25
We all feel lost at some point in our lives. For Harry Styles it was when he was in a tragic accident that changed his life. After years of recoverin...
629K 10.8K 69
Harry Styles is one of the students at Austin L High school , but he isn't like everyone else, he kind of runs the school, well he and his four mates...