Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I finally was home after a long day of school.  I always walked home with Zayn, he was just so easy to talk to.  

“So are you coming to the party next Saturday Holden?” asked Zayn.

“I really do want to go, I have been invited in earlier years, but I didn’t think I would have fun.  But now that I’m kinda friends with the “populars” like you and Harry and Liam, I think I would fit in.” I explained.

“Well, I didn’t need the story, I was just looking for a ‘yes’ or ‘no’.” he teased.

“Then, yes.  If I can get Lainey, Liam, Harry, and Niall to come too.” I said.

“And I don’t consider myself one of the ‘populars’ you know.” 

“Well, you are high up there on the totem pole of popularity, Zayn.”

“Don’t count yourself out of the equation Care, you should see how some of the other girls talk about you.  They praise you.  Why wouldn’t they?”

“Zayn, honestly, stop, you don’t have to say that.” 

“Well I’m just telling the truth.” 

“Sure, sure.”

He put his arm around me and gave me a tight squeeze.

“You know something?  This is why people like you.  You take what you have for granted, and can study like you mean it, while keeping a lively social life.  You’re what every girl aspires to be like, do you know that Care?” Zayn said.

He was excellent with words, one of the nicest, most intellectual kids I know, and he basically described himself while describing me.  This is why we could never be together in anyway more then friends.  We were too much alike.  

“You have a way with words Mr. Malik.” I said.

He smiled.  “I’m so glad we have been friends since we were little.  I don’t know how my life would be if I never met you.  I mean who would I be walking with?”

I laughed.  His arm was still around me.  I always felt so safe with him.  We had a mutual agreement.  We could never date.  Both of us knew, and I was glad.  He was to good of a friends to ever lose if we ever dated and broke up.  I really did love Zayn, but in the brother/sister way.  

“Very true, very true.” I answered.  

His strong arms gave me a quick squeeze before we got to our houses.  

“Hey, I’ll talk to you tomorrow, or I’ll text you tonight, I don’t know, I’ll see you at some point.” he said with a laugh.  

“I’ll talk to you later Zayn, thanks for walking home with me again today.”  I said.  We started walking inside our houses, then I thought of something.  “Hey, wait one more sec Zayn.”

“Yeah?” he answered.

“Did you have anything to do with Josh figuring out that it was a joke with Belle?”

“Oh, well yes, I figured I should.  Jack was being a douche and I felt like I should stand up for one of my best friend’s, friends.  I know she really likes him, well everyone obviously knows, and I had to stick up for her.  That was just Jack being an ass making everything awkward.”

“When she was telling me all of the shit he said I was really upset.”

“Jack really changed since he got back from Massachusetts.  He has always been like, out of the loop, but when he got back to England?  He’s just been a dick.  You two used to be close right?”