Partners By Chance

By AurumHeart

Highest Ranking: #3 fiction "What were you going to say to her?" He looks down at me. "That we're not in lov... More

Chapter 1: Checking you out? In your dreams, perhaps.
Chapter 2: You are destined for him.
Chapter 3: That's like an insult to my reputation.
Chapter 4: You will catch flies, Amelia.
Chapter 5: He has a girlfriend!
Chapter 6: Let's play twenty questions.
Chapter 7: Oh! Don't you look gorgeous.
Chapter 8: Hashtag bae, hashtag party.
Chapter 9: He is so sweet!
Chapter 10: I'm fucking done with you, Liam!
Chapter 11: You're in denial, princess.
Chapter 12: I dare you to kiss Liam
Chapter 13: Busy making out with the bitch.
Chapter 14: It will be like a bro-like question.
Chapter 15: I missed you.
Chapter 16: You're so annoying!
Chapter 17: You look like a tomato.
Chapter 18: That feels good.
Chapter 19: Sweetheart.
Chapter 20: I love you, guys.
Chapter 21: It's a love story.
Chapter 22: Have fun while it lasts.
Chapter 23: Dude, that's my seat.
Chapter 24: La la land.
Chapter 25: Mr Black.
Chapter 26: It's a French restaurant.
Chapter 27: Love, X.
Chapter 28: Have you seen my girlfriend?
Chapter 29: You look hot as well.
Chapter 30: I know who it is.
Chapter 31: I'm so sorry.
Chapter 32: Hi, Ben.
Chapter 33: I'm looking for Camilla George.
Chapter 34: Brat.
Chapter 35: Let's google him!
Chapter 36: I don't like her.
Chapter 37: Never Have I Ever.
Chapter 38: You look like a princess.
Chapter 39: Ameliam Forever.
Chapter 40: Do you like babies?
Chapter 41: I love you.
Chapter 43: That was rude.
Chapter 44: Get a room, guys.
CAST
Chapter 45: Oh. My. God.
Chapter 46: Catfish!
Chapter 47: Romeo and Juliet.
Chapter 48: What do you want from us?
NEW STORY ALERT!!!
Chapter 49: We know who X is.
Chapter 50: Choose me.
Chapter 51: Smileeee.
Chapter 52: Don't make me feel bad.
Chapter 53: Karl Lagerfeld.
Chapter 54: That's the fucking plan.
Chapter 55: Salted caramel.
Chapter 56: He's gone.
Chapter 57: I wasn't in love with him at all.
Chapter 58: The chemistry is natural.
Chapter 59: I can sense it when you're lying.
Chapter 60: I love everything about you.
Chapter 61: I'm not married.
Chapter 62: Happy Birthday!
Chapter 63: July it is.
Chapter 64: We love you, dad.
Chapter 65: The End.
Epilogue: The Final Chapter.
Married By Chance (Sneak peek)
Married By Chance (Out Now)

Chapter 42: What's going on?

15.4K 487 56
By AurumHeart

Amelia's outfit above.

Amelia Smith

"Can I have my phone back?" Adam asks. I can sense anger in his tone and from the look in his eyes.

I'm still in shock, trying to process the fact that he is the thirteenth person on X's list. Why him? I thought it was just between us, university students. Why is the richest bachelor in Connecticut part of the thirteen people?

I stand up from the chair and go over to the door, where he's standing to give him his phone. I hand it to him and he literally snatches it.

"You... um, have a message from X." I try to sound as casual as possible.

His body freezes but his eyes don't hold any emotion. "Okay." He says.

I cross my hands over my chest and analyze his beautiful face. His chocolate brown eyes are gazing into mine. There's a few strands of his jet black hair across his forehead and there's his hot stubble.

"So you also receive messages from X?" I speak.

He sighs and closes his eyes in frustration. "Smith, I have to work. Can you please leave?" He says politely in his husky voice.

Let me clarify something so that you don't take this the wrong way. I am not attracted to Adam nor am I in love with him. I love Liam and that's never going to change but no girl in this world would deny how hot and handsome Adam Black is. I don't even understand how a human could be this handsome unless...... unless he is a vampire.

Yes, that may explain his weird personality and why he's so fucking mean.

"Adam, you're the thirteenth person. I can't leave till we talk!" I say.

He looks up from his phone and meets my gaze. "What does that mean?"

I take a deep breath. "A few months ago, Brian, Tyler, Jacob, Colton, Nicole, Ian, Rob, Emily, Liam and I received a message from the X saying he or she is glad to see the ten rich kids hanging out but he or she has thirteen names though."

He just stares at me, blankly, waiting for me to continue perhaps.

"After a while, Jasmine and Nicole got hurt by 'the X' and that's how we found out that Jasmine is the eleventh person then at the council's ball, Nicole found out the Camilla is the twelfth and now you are the thirteenth."

"I know that Jasmine is the mayor's daughter. He told me when she got hurt but who is Nicole?"

I roll my eyes. "Nicole Taylor. John and Michelle Taylor's daughter."

He nods his head. "How about Emma?"

"E-mi-ly. Emily Parker. Andrew and Jessica Parker's daughter. Then Camilla George, Liam's ex. I can't remember what her parents' names are and I'm Amelia Smith if you don't know that also."

"I do not know how my brother puts up with you. You are so annoying." He says, clearly annoyed by me.

I look up and give him one of my hardest glares. He just walks to his desk and sits on the chair. I turn around and raise my eyebrow. "So you are saying that all the people on the list's parents are part of the council." He says.

I sigh. "That's not the point, Adam. If X is targeting the council's children, why isn't Mia on the list or Aaron or Hannah or whatever?!"

"Are you sure that it is not a prank? Or one of your stupid fans?"

"Nicole and Jasmine were hurt, Adam!"

"It is Mr. Black to you."

"Ughhh! Why are you being so God damn frustrating?!" I yell in frustration.

"What's going on?" Rob asks as he comes in with everyone following him behind.

I look at Adam and he has his eyes narrowed as usual. "He is the freaking thirteenth person." I point at him.

A long silence follows as I speak but Ian breaks it. "Shit!" He curses. "Thought it was going to be some hot chick or something."

I chuckle and roll my eyes at him.

I sense Liam's cologne coming closer then feel his arms wrap around me from behind. "Miss me?" He whispers in my ear.

Since he basically had us locked up, I decide to ignore him. "So what's the plan?" Colton asks.

"I have work to do. I have a meeting tomorrow morning." Adam says.

"Why don't we just meet up tomorrow since it's pretty late now," Rob suggests.

"But we need to meet somewhere private," Nicole says.

"My house," Adam speaks and we all nod in agreement.

We all leave the office and Liam pulls me upstairs to his room. We go in and he locks the door.

"What?" I snapped, crossing my arms over my chest.

He rolls his eyes at my attitude. "Why do have to make everything so complicated?"

"You literally had us locked up in this house like animals, Liam with your stupid bodyguards."

"For your own safety, Amelia."

"Whatever." I look away.

"I brought you here to talk but if you don't want to do that we can just sleep." He says in an annoyed tone and goes into his closet.

Okay, now I kind of feel bad.

I get off the bed and walk into his closet, meeting his shirtless back. I walk closer to him and put my hands around his neck. "Your hands are cold." He says and puts in my hands down.

I feel a pang in my chest.

"Why are you being mean?"

"I'm not." He says in a rough voice.

"Yes, you are." I furrow my eyebrows.

He ignores me and pulls out a shirt to wear so I just huff and leave the closet.

I pick my phone and handbag and go to the guest room next door where Nicole sleeps.

She's not inside bur her stuff is here. I drop my handbag, take off my shoes, and jump on the bed.

I'm the type of person that gets annoyed or angry over the slightest things, I know that. It's crazy how my relationship with Liam is like a roller coaster ride. One minute we're fine and the next, we're fighting.

When we had our last fight, I honestly started doubting if we could go back together. I don't want to let go of Liam. I never want to do that because I don't think there's any person in this world that is as perfect for me as he is. He is literally everything I need and wants in a guy.

He's sweet, loving, caring, and not to mention incredibly hot and handsome. I love him so much but I don't know what the problem is.

Maybe it's a lack of communication. We don't communicate our feelings that much.

I want everything with him to be perfect. Maybe he and I need to take a break.

No.

I can't do that. I would lose my fucking mind. Maybe we'll go to couples therapy.

Liam might not want that though.

Anyways, I want us to stop fighting too much.

The fights are good sometimes because I feel like every time we fight, our relationship and feelings get stronger.

I start feeling uncomfortable in my clothes so I get up from the bed to change. I realize that I was crying so I wipe my tears and throw the tissue in the bin.

I hate how much I cry.

I open the drawers and see that I have no night wears in this house. I usually sleep Liam's shirts when I'm here.

I take a deep breath and walk back to his room. I gently knock on the door and he asks me to come in.

I go in and he's casually sitting on his couch, typing something on his MacBook. "Where were you?" He asks.

"The next room," I reply simply and go into his closet. I see a blue t-shirt so I removed my jeans and top and wear it.

As I'm about to leave the bedroom, Liam speaks. "Where are you going?" He asks.

"The next room," I reply.

"Why?"

"Because I'm sleeping there."

"No, you're not!"

"Yes, I am!"

He sighs and closes the laptop. "Don't fight with me pointlessly, Amelia."

"That's not what I'm doing."

"Yes, it is." He says.

He gets up from the couch and comes over to me. I step back thinking he is going to grab me or something but he doesn't. Instead, he locks the door and pulls out the key.

I roll my eyes at him and cross my arms over my chest. I watch him walk to his bed and he lays down there. "Come here." He speaks.

I walk over to the bed and he pulls me on top of him. "What's wrong?" He asks softly.

"Nothing," I mumble.

He circled his hands around my waist. "Why do you want to sleep in Nicole's room?"

It's cute how he refers to the guest room as Nicole's. Sometimes he refers to his own room as 'our room'. He's so down to earth. I love that about him.

"Because you were being mean. You told me to stop touching you."

His eyes widen. "I didn't say that."

"But you removed my hands from your neck."

"Because they were cold." He says softly.

I keep quiet and think for a while. "I'm sorry, you know I like it when you touch me. I was a little upset when you came into the closet because I dragged you here to tell you where we went because I promised I would but you were being stubborn."

"I'm sorry that I keep causing fights between us," I say, looking down.

"No, don't blame yourself." He says and hugs me closer to him.

"I love you," I tell him.

"I love you more." He says.

I raise my head from his chest and look into his eyes. "No, I love you more."

He chuckles and pulls me for a kiss. " I want Haribo or Lindt," I speak immediately we pull from the kiss.

"It's late." He says.

"And?"

"I don't want you to have stomach pain."He holds my hand and kisses it.

"I won't, I promise."

"Okay, get up." He says since I'm on his lap.

"I don't want to." I hug his body tight.

"Well, then you're not getting your candy."

"You know what's sweeter than that?" I ask him seductively.

His eyes darken. "What?"

"You." I smile and start kissing him. He licks my lips impatiently and I open my mouth for him, allowing our tongues to dance together.

His phone suddenly starts ringing and I groan. He pulls it out of his pocket and answers it.

"Hey man. Why are you calling me at two, almost three in the morning?" He says to whoever called him. "Oh yeah! Shit! Give her the phone."

Her?

"Hi, Claire."

'Who the hell is Claire?' I mouth.

He smiles but he doesn't answer me and keeps talking to her.

"Yeah."
"Thank you so much."
"Great, I'll see you tomorrow."

I raise my eyebrow as he says that.

"Bye." He says and ends the call. "Jealousy looks sexy on you." He teases.

"Who's Claire?"

"You know my friend Harold, right?"

I nod my head. "Yeah."

"Well, she's his twin sister. We got invited to this lunch and she called to ask if I'm still going."

I don't like her but I'm not going to push it.

"Why were you thanking her?" I ask, playing with his soft hair.

He leans into the touch and closes his eyes. He seems to enjoy it every time I do that. "Because I totally forgot about it."

"Oh. Um so are you guys like going together?"

"Yes but just as friends. I love you, you know that right?"

"I know." I smile and close my eyes until sleep finally comes.

****

"Guys, where's Liam?" I ask Rob, Colton, and Jacob who are having breakfast at the dining table.

"We worked out together this morning but I haven't seen him since then," Jacob says.

"Yeah, me too," Rob adds.

I leave the dining room and pass the living room where Nicole, Ian, and Brian are hanging out.

Emily and Tyler are probably still sleeping or they're with Liam somewhere in this big house.

"LIAM!" I call out loud, hoping he would hear me.

"Mr. Black is in brother's parlor, Ms. Smith." A maid tells me politely.

"Can you please take me there?" I smile at her.

I follow her behind and we reach Adam's parlor. The door is open so I see Adam sitting while Liam is standing by a bookshelf with a white mug in his hand.

"Thanks." I smile at the maid.

Liam whips his head in my direction as he hears my voice and a smile instantly grows on his face. His smile fades as he realizes what I'm wearing but he stretches out his free arm for me. I'm only in his t-shirt from last night.

"I haven't showered," I warn him as I walk to wear his standing.

"I can see that." He glares at my legs and pulls me to him. "Don't tell me this is how you've been roaming this house this morning."

I give him a cheeky grin. "I don't have any clean clothes."

"Yes, you do." He brushes off some hair from my face. "You're so beautiful." He whispers.

"And you're so handsome, babe." I lean for a kiss but get interrupted by a throat clear by Adam.

I turn away from Liam and give him a look. "Mr. Black." I nod at him and he just rolls his eyes at me.

Liam gives me a weird look. "Did you just call him Mr. Black?"

"Yes, that's what he asked me to call him." I shrug.

He glares at Adam. "Why?" He asks him rudely.

"Because she is so annoying," Adam says in a very serious tone. I won't lie, his seriousness scares me sometimes.

"Dude! she's my girlfriend! Don't fucking call her that!" Liam snaps at him angrily.

"It's okay." I rub his arm, soothingly. Adam's insults or rudeness don't bother me honestly.

"I'm sorry," Adam says and I widen my eyes in surprise, not because of the apology but how sincere it sounded.

Liam looks between us. "You two need to start liking each other. I get that you had a pretty bad first encounter but you're my brother and you're my girlfriend. I want you guys to be friends." He says causing me to snicker.

"Amelia." He warns.

"Fine, I'm sorry." I bite my lips trying to hold back a laugh.

Adam is too serious to be my 'friend' and the thought of that is really funny.

"We were talking about X before you came in," Liam informs me.

Right. Adam is the thirteenth person. I still can't understand why.

"Any plans?"

"I want to postpone the meeting," Adam says.

"To?"

"When we come back from London." He answers.

I didn't know we were going with him.

"We?" I ask confused.

"Yes, He and I were both invited to the gala," Liam says.

"Okay, but why are we postponing the meeting? Isn't the earlier the better?" I rest my head on his chest.

"Yes, but he said you want to 'have fun' in London and Paris. If we have the meeting now, we will all be distracted since we're traveling tomorrow." Adam says.

I get his point. "Isn't that a bit selfish? How about the others?" I ask. I also want to have a nice time but Emily, Nicole, Jacob, and our other six friends are not going to London.

It's not fair to postpone the meeting because of Adam, Liam, and I.

"The remaining ten are also coming with us, sweetheart," Liam says.

I smile. The trip is going to be way more fun than I thought. The girls and I can go shopping while the guys do their stuff. We could go visit Chloe and-

Hold on.

I look up at Liam. "Wait, you said ten. Is Camilla also coming?"

"Yes, I invited her," Adam says.

I raise my eyebrow at him. Why? Maybe they could hit off nicely. They're both attractive people.

****

"Where are you going, Lulu?" I hear Nicole ask Liam as I step down the stairs.

"Lunch with my friends." He replies.

I frown as I see him. "Liam!"

"Yes, sweetheart." He turns to me. "You look nice."

Amelia's outfit.

"Not as nice as you do. You never dress up like this when we're going out." I put a hand on my waist.

Liam's outfit.

He chuckles and pulls me to him. "You're really cute when you're jealous."

"Are you guys going together?" Nicole asks.

I huff. "No, he's going with some chick named Claire," I answer her.

She glares at him. "Dude! You better not cheat on my best friend or I swear to God I'll feed your intestines to my dog." She threatens.

I chuckle and Liam smiles at her. "Yes, ma'am."

"Will you drop me at my house? I can't find my car keys."

"No, Richard will take you."

I turn to Nicole. "Did you hear that? He said no to me because of that chick!" I exclaim in disbelief.

She laughs and walks away.

"Her name is not 'that chick', sweetheart." He chuckles.

"I don't care what her name is."

"Fine, let's go. I'll take you home." He says, lovingly.

"No, I'll just call Mason Stryker. He'll take me." I say, casually but I'm mentally doing an evil grin. I know how he hates Mason.

His mood drops and his face changes into a frown. "Call his name again and I'll spank you."

"Mas-" I start but cut off by the pain in my butt. "Ow! I can't believe you did that!" I rub the spot.

He smirks and brings his hand and gently massages the area that he hit but I quickly slap it away.

I go into the passenger's seat in Liam's car and he closes the door. "Put on your seatbelt." He commands and starts the car.

My phone starts ringing. It's Austin so I answer it. "Amelia, you have to come home now." He deadpans.

****

Happy New Year Beautiful People!!!
What do you think about Austin's phone call? Are you excited for London?

All the love.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125K 5.3K 30
Aiden Black doesn't know the meaning of rejection. He doesn't care either; it's never stopped him from getting what he wants. While owning a strip c...
156K 8.9K 61
A girl, haunted by her past was living in solitude. A man, running from his own demons. When their paths collide, the girl wants to run, but the guy...
3.9K 896 62
AN ORIGINAL TEEN FICTION/ROMANCE/MYSTERY NOVEL. One's dangerous interest in power, status and greed can lead to a set of triplets being forcefully se...
624K 24.5K 40
When Ph.D. candidate Scarlett is forced to play loving wife to her mentor's playboy son, the last thing she expects is to fall for the fantasy hersel...