COBALT: The Red Phantom (Book...

By Spookyspackles

[Featured: EDITOR'S CHOICE] Káel didn't think his life could get worse after being abducted by an alien posin... More

Author's Note
Table of Contents
Prologue
Chapter 1: Káel (Part 1/2)
Chapter 1: Káel (Part 2/2)
Chapter 2: The Day Like Any Other Day (Part 1/2)
Chapter 2: The Day Like Any Other Day (Part 2/2)
Chapter 3: How to get Kidnapped by a Russian Exchange Student (Part 1/2)
Chapter 3: How to get Kidnapped by a Russian Exchange Student (Part 2/2)
Chapter 4: The Unorthodox Entrance Examination (Part 1/3)
Chapter 4: The Unorthodox Entrance Examination (Part 2/3)
Chapter 4: The Unorthodox Entrance Examination (Part 3/3)
Chapter 5: Why You Shouldn't Trust a Russian Exchange Student (Part 1/2)
Chapter 5: Why You Shouldn't Trust a Russian Exchange Student (Part 2/2)
Chapter 6: Just Like a Scary Movie (Part 1/3)
Chapter 6: Just Like a Scary Movie (Part 2/3)
Chapter 6: Just Like a Scary Movie (Part 3/3)
Chapter 7: I'm Being Stalked By a Rock (Part 1/3)
Chapter 7: I'm Being Stalked by a Rock (Part 2/3)
Chapter 7: I'm Being Stalked by a Rock (Part 3/3)
Chapter 8: The Wrath of the Queen (Part 1/2)
Chapter 8: The Wrath of the Queen (Part 2/2)
Chapter 9: The Phantom of the Rock (Part 1/3)
Chapter 9: The Phantom of the Rock (2/3)
Chapter 9: The Phantom of the Rock (Part 3/3)
Chapter 10: Puff the Magic Dragon (Part 1/3)
Chapter 10: Puff the Magic Dragon (Part 2/3)
Chapter 10: Puff the Magic Dragon (Part 3/3)
Chapter 11: The Impossible Request
Chapter 11: The Impossible Request (Part 2/3)
Chapter 11: The Impossible Request (Part 3/3)
Chapter 12: Molve Bait (Part 1/4)
Chapter 12: Molve Bait (Part 2/4)
Chapter 12: Molve Bait (Part 3/4)
Chapter 12: Molve Bait (part 4/4)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 1/5)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 2/5)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 3/5)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 4/5)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 5/5)
Chapter 14: The Trial (Part 1/3)
Chapter 14: The Trial (Part 2/3)
Chapter 14: The Trial (Part 3/3)
Chapter 15: Asking Nicely (Part 1/3)
Chapter 15: Asking Nicely (Part 2/3)
Chapter 15: Asking Nicely (Part 3/3)
Chapter 16: Breaking Mirrors (Part 1/2)
Chapter 16: Breaking Mirrors (Part 2/2)
Chapter 17: How to Fix a Battery (Part 1/2)
Chapter 17: How to Fix a Battery (Part 2/2)
Chapter 18: The Torture of Cosmetics (Part 1/3)
Chapter 18: The Torture of Cosmetics (Part 2/3)
Chapter 18: The Torture of Cosmetics (Part 3/3)
Chapter 19: Stranger Danger (Part 1/4)
Chapter 19: Stranger Danger (2/4)
Chapter 19: Stranger Danger (Part 3/4)
Chapter 19: Stranger Danger (Part 4/4)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 1/5)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 2/5)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 3/5)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 4/5)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 5/5)
Chapter 21: Secrets (Part 1/2)
Chapter 21: Secrets (Part 2/2)
Chapter 22: The Power of Secrets (Part 1/2)
Chapter 22: the Power of Secrets (Part 2/2)
Chapter 23: The Storm (Part 1/3)
Chapter 23: The Storm (Part 2/3)
Chapter 23: The Storm (Part 3/3)
Chapter 24: A Midnight Stroll (Part 1/3)
Chapter 24: A Midnight Stroll (Part 2/3)
Chapter 24: A Midnight Stroll (Part 3/3)
Chapter 25: A Sprinkle of Pixie Dust (Part 1/4)
Chapter 25: A Sprinkle of Pixie Dust (Part 2/4)
Chapter 25: A Sprinkle of Pixie Dust (Part 3/4)
Chapter 25: A Sprinkle of Pixie Dust (Part 4/4)
Chapter 26: Friendly Threatening (Part 1/3)
Chapter 26: Friendly Threatening (Part 2/3)
Chapter 26: Friendly Threatening (Part 3/3)
Chapter 27: A Song in the Night (Part 1/3)
Chapter 27: A Song in the Night (Part 2/3)
Chapter 27: A Song in the Night (Part 3/3)
Chapter 28: Fairez Stella (Part 1/3)
Chapter 28: Fairez Stella (Part 2/3)
Chapter 28: Fairez Stella (Part 3/3)
Chapter 29: The White Flowers (Part 1/3)
Chapter 29: The White Flowers (Part 2/3)
Chapter 29: The White Flowers (Part 3/3)
Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rift (Part 2/3)
Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rift (Part 3/4)
Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rip (Part 4/4)
For My Readers
What's Next?

Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rift (Part 1/3)

394 58 5
By Spookyspackles

—————

Hey guys, if you didn't get the announcement, this chapter was delayed by my cat. He decided to pull a Jeremiah - except he's chubby and black, and who wouldn't steal a chubby black cat? His chonky butt is now grounded, and he owes me a new chocolate stash. 

I'll get the next update out as soon as I can while making sure it's readable. Cheers~

—————

          Káel felt relaxed. From what he could now feel the return ritual had stopped gnawing at his wounded leg, his eyes closed to a peaceful veil of black while he laid on his back. He waited for the voices of his friends or even the frightening boom of his uncle to welcome them back, but was disappointed when none came.

          And so, he reluctantly opened his eyes. A cream coloured ceiling stared back - the wrong ceiling. It wasn't the one he had timidly stepped under, the one made of dreary grey stones stained with water and the scorched scars of failed experiments before his uncle could get a paravelt to work. 

          This was a fancy ceiling. He twisted his neck, feeling the soft and feather stuffed fabric hugging his body. He was in a bed, in the middle of a fair sized bedroom that was lavish enough to fit the palace of Fairez Stella, but somehow homier than his bedroom back on Earth. It had a desk propped in front of one of the windows, right next to a line of wooden shelves built into the walls and weighed by a line of fairytales. Káel almost let out a laugh when he saw the other side of the room, a painting of a shimmering blue dragon hanging above a squared off wooden pen that was stuffed with a generous amount of plump white pillows, and his guardian, belly up and snoring.

          Káel perked as a shadow passed him, the red of Phantom's coat dancing in his corner-sight. He rubbed his eyes with a groan. "Did all of that happen?"

          Phantom rounded the bed to sit at its foot facing Káel. "All of what?"

          "The tree, those people, Sora..." He shifted his leg, white pain shooting straight to his spine.

          Phantom chuckled at his squeezed face. "That answer your question? The Earthlings really took a turn after the portals were shut down."

          With a soft knock, a woman came through the door, dressed in a white blouse and charcoal black pants. A cookie topped platter was balanced upon the hand that wasn't on the door, and the ring of a golden bucket looped her wrist, the serpent carved to its surface befitting the yukkla fruits it was weighed with.

          She paid Káel a tiny bow, wordlessly resting the treats on his nightstand and leaving the bucket for Puff, who had awoken at the sound of the door already expecting the treats. Mere minutes after the woman excused herself, the door opened again, this time filling with the tapestraic shadow of his uncle.

          The deep red robes he was dressed in shimmered orange with living flames as he approached, the aggressive garb sharpened by the black runes embroidered in ribbons on his sleeves and collar. 

          He sipped a familiar flask before even speaking, dragging the cushioned chair at the desk over to Káel's bedside. Before he sat, he gently pulled the crown from his head, laying it next to the decadent tray. "The great spirits of Alta Staar needn't see this." Elisious hushed, grabbing one of the cookies and shoving the entire thing in his mouth.

          Káel waited for him to finish the treat and wash it down with more of whatever was in his flask. Staring only at the soft green sheets, he raised his voice just enough to reach the man. "Is there a way you can make me exist?"

          Elisious furrowed his brow, the only way he could show confusion as he practically swallowed another cookie. 

          "I don't think I should go back to Earth," Káel continued, gaze drifting to the mounding covers that hid his right leg where the pain pricked like a buzzing nest of wasps.

          "You like this room?"

          Káel answered with a look of confusion, his uncle distracted with staring at the space as if he'd just painted it. "Sure?"

          "It's not your drab and depressing earth bedroom, or those cheaply furnished double dorms that Cobalt extorts everyone with." Elisious took in a breath, calmed by the earthy scent that came from the wood. "But it's yours if you like it. I'll figure the rest out."

          Káel smiled, hoping the warmth reached his uncle well enough without a hug. He didn't want to risk the pain of even shifting an inch right now. 

          "Now I suppose we should discuss the matter at hand," Elisious continued, his voice dressing back up to business as he grabbed the thorny crown and stuck it back on his head. "The students accompanying you are being questioned by the council representatives that came here with Lady Samanthra. I've told them everything I know."

          "What?" Káel paled, betrayal ripping right into his heart and shoving his body into a cold pool of regret. Novan's were a threat to all Lumers, he should have known.

          "You set out to Fairez Stella and broke your leg running from Valerans during your journey. The kind samaritan that found you gave you and your friends a ride here after recognising Strylaz, and you have been confined to a bed for the past two days." Elisious' lips pricked into a devious grin as Káel relaxed. "You are not to lie before any golems the council brings with them, they can sense your heartbeat. You have no obligation to answer any questions that may stretch this truth."

          "Got it," Káel replied, finding an appetite for the treats beside him as the lump in his throat shrank, shortbread and tart red jam tickling his taste-buds. "Thanks."

          "What sort of uncle would I be if I didn't humour you?" Elisious shifted in his chair, eyeing the windows before slipping his hand into the folds of his clothing and pulling out a tiny stick of wood.

          It took Káel a moment to recognise the tiny winter tree branch, not even a fifth of its original size. His brow dipped as Elisious pulled back the covers over his right leg and worked on hiding it next to one of the wooden planks immobilising it. "Where's the rest of it?"

          Elisious looked over his shoulder. "The rest of it is mine. I've no idea what Tesirus damned purpose you have for this stick, but it should be more than enough." When the stick was completely concealed he pulled the covers back. "I'd say you should thank your friend Truvius for this, but he won't shut up about how he got it. As if suddenly ripping a branch from a man's hands is akin to slaying the next Iraxxus."

          Káel laughed, his uncle's words easy to imagine. But what he still couldn't quite swallow was the sight in the alley. Sora barreling to their rescue with a handgun, and casting a spell that sent a silver dragon to the skies.

          "So Sora is from here?"

          "Not Fairez Stella, but yes, Sora Lithraime. Her father is a good friend, so I allowed her request to study the many arts and inventions of Earth alongside you."

          Father. Káel tensed at the word. The story on Earth was that his parents had simply abandoned him, one he hadn't heard from his uncle's mouth, but assumed. Now, the crown poking past his uncle's golden brown hair left room for more creative theories.

          "So if I'm from Lumi, and you're my uncle-"

          "They're dead," Elisious cut in, not wishing to stretch that particular question longer than it needed to go. He kept his lips flattened, neutral to the greatest degree and only giving Káel half his face to look at.  "Your mother's name was Mystral Aeric, the twelfth empress of Alta Staar. Her life was claimed just outside Linavelythas protecting precious cargo, and as every hero that rose to fight in that war, she is buried in the City of Peace." Elisious dipped his chin, staring at his fingers that he had wound together. "There is however an altar of remembrance here upon palace grounds, if you wish to pay your respects."

          "Oh..." Káel muttered, awkward in the heavy air of his uncle. He couldn't shed a tear at the news, his duty to sorrow slashed by a stranger that he should have known better. Strangers that he should have known better. "What about my dad?"

          Elisious unwound his fingers, his chin no longer weighed with sorrow while he wore a bitter smile. "He ran. From you, from her, from the title of a father that is earned by staying. I doubt fate was kind enough to spare his life, but if it has, he is dead to us nonetheless. A shade you owe only your birth to, and unworthy of remembrance."

          Káel bounced his eyebrows, giving his uncle's words a few nods while tried to imagine the man who had ghosted his mom. "Great. So that's why you're taking care of me? Dad ditched?"

          Elisious' frown chipped. "To put it nicely." 

          "I don't think you should keep poking at dad," Phantom whispered. 

          Káel was in agreement. The harder he looked at his uncle, the more he noticed the cracks in his composure. Paled fingertips pinching his robes and his jaw squared with the way he was gritting his teeth. His father had done a lot more than simply running away.

          "Well thanks for having my back." Káel smiled. "If there's anything I can do to help you back, I'm all ears."

          "You'll have a day of rest at Cobalt before the council subjects you to multiple magical residue tests. I would not fancy it if they found anything but residue from ancient lumience. That's unavoidable fresh from a Paravelt ritual." Elisious turned his chin to the foot of the bed where Phantom was watching. "So if you have any hitchhikers, I would recommend unhitching them."

          "Right," Káel muttered, drawn to the door yet again as it opened.

          Ariabella silently stepped in, dipping her head as she spoke. "Lady Samanthra and the lead council investigator wish to speak with you, sir. I will turn away the investigator if you are not in the mood for halfwitted questions."

          "They can come in, I do hope you're in the mood for halfwitted questioning Bella."

          She nodded, immediately clicking to Elisious's words as she held the door open. 

          Lady Samanthra was the first inside, her draping robes shortened to a decorative green vest for easier travel, and her hair braided back to keep flyaways from poking her eyes while she flew. A man discreetly came in behind her, his body covered with lavender robes that only broke in colour where a long line of strange white insignia were patched down his right arm and part of his left. 

          Lady Samanthra stopped before Elisious, holding a respectful bow until he rose from his seat, waiting for the emperor to bow back. "That is a rare colour on you."

          Elisious smiled, his voice rich with charms. "I have rare guests." his attention moved to the man, gaze stuck from meeting the monarch's eye as his head remained dipped. "A colour of truth for any questions the Council has for me."

          "I cannot remember the last time I trusted a man in red," Samanthra replied, oblivious to Phantom as he pulled his arms up into a fold.

          "Ah, but can you remember the last time you pestered one with questions? The passion of the heart, and the soul of ravenous flames. The wise know it is best not to argue with red."

           The council member cleared their throat, a sound so loud Káel wondered if the man cared for manners in the presence of an emperor. Elisious seemed to hold similar thoughts, coaxing Samanthra to his side and facing down the shorter man with a welcoming smile that was still frozen on the inside. "I forget, the council thinks itself above the simple virtue of patience. You may lift your head and speak, starting with whatever name we should be calling you."

          The man lifted his chin, still avoiding the emperor's gaze by mostly watching Káel through the corner of his eye. "Turgen Rudas, your majesty. I hope I won't hold much of your time, but I have some confirmation questions for you."

          Elisious nodded. "Yes, of course. How respectful of you not to listen in."

          "To start, the council apologises on Cobalt's behalf for dragging this mess to your front door."

          Elisious hummed, the venom in his voice candied by professionalism. "I happen to call this mess my nephew, you'll do well by addressing him properly, Mr. Rudas."

          Mr. Rudas perked with surprise, his eyes barely flicking to lock with Elisious' before he sank a cold glare into Káel. "Your nephew? I cannot recall you ever having one your majesty."

          "I didn't realise the council was investigating my bloodline instead of suspected malpractice in lumience. I must have missed the page where it said that, could you show it to me again?" Elisious replied, voice unwavering and fueled by the prickly frown Mr. Rudas wore. 

          "I meant nothing by it," Mr. Rudas muttered. "I simply thought his behaviour strange for his family, rescuing savage drakes and the like. If you could recap your side of the story so I can match it to the other students."

          Elisious sighed, pity his new mask as he moved into the full glare of starlight and left a sharp bite of spices and flowers drifting in the air. "Now, I am aware that you are paid by the hour, but I am not. Allow me to fill in the blanks you actually need for your paperwork. Káel Aeric, son of her late majesty Mystral Aeric, first year student of Cobalt, male, age fifteen." Elisious smiled as Mr. Rudas quickly pulled a notebook to scribble down the information. "I told my story already so I'm sure that is all you require from me, as I clearly wasn't with the students until they showed up at my door. As my nephew has sustained injuries and is currently taking the appropriate medication, Ms. Augbelle will be party to him, your questions will be directed through her."

          "With all due respect your majesty, the golem will be useless if the information we collect is given by a middleman." Mr. Rudas frowned at the way Elisious shook his head. "If your nephew has nothing to hide, questioning him directly should not be a problem."

          "A truth spoken too vaguely by a man may be forged into the blade of his demise by his enemies," Elisious replied, drifting to Ariabella's side so he could loop his arm past her neck. "Ms. Augebelle is my grain of salt that you shall take when you present your evidence before the Council's court. Now I have a celebration to attend to with the Lady of Cobalt. If you wish for my audience a second time I will gladly make room, granted you have the Grand Chancellor's signature. He'll be at the party if I'm not mistaken." Elisious looked to Ariabella, her slight nod confirming the theory as he smiled at Mr. Rudas. "Invitation only I'm afraid."

          "I rushed over here for my students, not drinks," Lady Samanthra said, polite and pressed as she stopped herself from passing the door Elisious was holding for her. "And I'm afraid your invitation didn't reach me."

          "You have your students, why can't drinks share the same list?" Elisious flicked a small roll of paper from his pocket, wound by glistening red cloth and rimmed with gold. "Why would I do something as insincere as sending it to Cobalt when an in person opportunity has presented itself?"

          Samanthra grabbed the invitation, rolling it between her fingers as she stepped through the door. "Convenience?"

          "A cheap word, the complete opposite of my party. You should come, unless of course you're weary from the griffins and wish to tour our finest beds instead," Elisious voice trailed away, the rest of the conversation thankfully cut when Elisious allowed the door to close behind him.

          Mr. Rudas gave it a couple seconds, being alone under Ariabella's dead stare stiffening him to the last violet fold of his robes. 

          "We don't have all night, Káel Aeric is to rest as much as possible before his journey back to Cobalt," Ariabella spoke, lips twisting with irritation at Mr. Rudas' continued silence. "Has the sense of your job left your mind? You are not in his majesty's presence. Talk.

          Mr. Rudas gave Puff a quick glance, disgusted by the pillow coddling drake. "I will... interview the suspect at Cobalt. Where his assets will be properly restrained." He snapped his notebook shut, voice directed to Ariabella, but eyes on Káel like a hungry wolf.  "his majesty can only pull so many strings when his nephew is publicly convicted of harbouring a fugitive."

Don't forget to:

COMMENT/CRITIQUE/(VOTE IF YOU WANT)

Quality Quip #55:

'In most law courts a man is assumed guilty until he is proven influential.'

~ Anon

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

361K 20K 30
Aviva Arlington has never seen the world the way everyone else does, but she's always been very content hiding behind half-inch thick frames. She was...
22.2K 4.7K 29
Kristy's life is far from normal. She has been seeing weird dreams since she was seven years old but never thought they could be anything more. When...
1K 83 23
[Book 3 in the Ember Wind series] March, 2043... With Judas dead, the infamous glitches have stopped occurring however that doesn't things have begun...
4.6K 272 28
[2023 Wattys Shortlist, 2023 Amby Awards winner, Featured 3 times in Wattpad Picks lists] Kaleth has worked as an agent of Luxarx for years. What th...