COBALT: The Red Phantom (Book...

By Spookyspackles

[Featured: EDITOR'S CHOICE] Káel didn't think his life could get worse after being abducted by an alien posin... More

Author's Note
Table of Contents
Prologue
Chapter 1: Káel (Part 1/2)
Chapter 1: Káel (Part 2/2)
Chapter 2: The Day Like Any Other Day (Part 1/2)
Chapter 2: The Day Like Any Other Day (Part 2/2)
Chapter 3: How to get Kidnapped by a Russian Exchange Student (Part 1/2)
Chapter 3: How to get Kidnapped by a Russian Exchange Student (Part 2/2)
Chapter 4: The Unorthodox Entrance Examination (Part 1/3)
Chapter 4: The Unorthodox Entrance Examination (Part 2/3)
Chapter 4: The Unorthodox Entrance Examination (Part 3/3)
Chapter 5: Why You Shouldn't Trust a Russian Exchange Student (Part 1/2)
Chapter 5: Why You Shouldn't Trust a Russian Exchange Student (Part 2/2)
Chapter 6: Just Like a Scary Movie (Part 1/3)
Chapter 6: Just Like a Scary Movie (Part 2/3)
Chapter 6: Just Like a Scary Movie (Part 3/3)
Chapter 7: I'm Being Stalked By a Rock (Part 1/3)
Chapter 7: I'm Being Stalked by a Rock (Part 2/3)
Chapter 7: I'm Being Stalked by a Rock (Part 3/3)
Chapter 8: The Wrath of the Queen (Part 1/2)
Chapter 8: The Wrath of the Queen (Part 2/2)
Chapter 9: The Phantom of the Rock (Part 1/3)
Chapter 9: The Phantom of the Rock (2/3)
Chapter 9: The Phantom of the Rock (Part 3/3)
Chapter 10: Puff the Magic Dragon (Part 1/3)
Chapter 10: Puff the Magic Dragon (Part 2/3)
Chapter 10: Puff the Magic Dragon (Part 3/3)
Chapter 11: The Impossible Request
Chapter 11: The Impossible Request (Part 2/3)
Chapter 11: The Impossible Request (Part 3/3)
Chapter 12: Molve Bait (Part 1/4)
Chapter 12: Molve Bait (Part 2/4)
Chapter 12: Molve Bait (Part 3/4)
Chapter 12: Molve Bait (part 4/4)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 1/5)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 2/5)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 3/5)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 4/5)
Chapter 13: Staz (Part 5/5)
Chapter 14: The Trial (Part 1/3)
Chapter 14: The Trial (Part 2/3)
Chapter 14: The Trial (Part 3/3)
Chapter 15: Asking Nicely (Part 1/3)
Chapter 15: Asking Nicely (Part 2/3)
Chapter 15: Asking Nicely (Part 3/3)
Chapter 16: Breaking Mirrors (Part 1/2)
Chapter 16: Breaking Mirrors (Part 2/2)
Chapter 17: How to Fix a Battery (Part 1/2)
Chapter 17: How to Fix a Battery (Part 2/2)
Chapter 18: The Torture of Cosmetics (Part 1/3)
Chapter 18: The Torture of Cosmetics (Part 2/3)
Chapter 18: The Torture of Cosmetics (Part 3/3)
Chapter 19: Stranger Danger (Part 1/4)
Chapter 19: Stranger Danger (2/4)
Chapter 19: Stranger Danger (Part 3/4)
Chapter 19: Stranger Danger (Part 4/4)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 1/5)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 2/5)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 3/5)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 4/5)
Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 5/5)
Chapter 21: Secrets (Part 1/2)
Chapter 21: Secrets (Part 2/2)
Chapter 22: The Power of Secrets (Part 1/2)
Chapter 22: the Power of Secrets (Part 2/2)
Chapter 23: The Storm (Part 1/3)
Chapter 23: The Storm (Part 2/3)
Chapter 23: The Storm (Part 3/3)
Chapter 24: A Midnight Stroll (Part 1/3)
Chapter 24: A Midnight Stroll (Part 2/3)
Chapter 24: A Midnight Stroll (Part 3/3)
Chapter 25: A Sprinkle of Pixie Dust (Part 1/4)
Chapter 25: A Sprinkle of Pixie Dust (Part 2/4)
Chapter 25: A Sprinkle of Pixie Dust (Part 3/4)
Chapter 25: A Sprinkle of Pixie Dust (Part 4/4)
Chapter 26: Friendly Threatening (Part 1/3)
Chapter 26: Friendly Threatening (Part 2/3)
Chapter 26: Friendly Threatening (Part 3/3)
Chapter 27: A Song in the Night (Part 1/3)
Chapter 27: A Song in the Night (Part 2/3)
Chapter 27: A Song in the Night (Part 3/3)
Chapter 28: Fairez Stella (Part 1/3)
Chapter 28: Fairez Stella (Part 3/3)
Chapter 29: The White Flowers (Part 1/3)
Chapter 29: The White Flowers (Part 2/3)
Chapter 29: The White Flowers (Part 3/3)
Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rift (Part 1/3)
Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rift (Part 2/3)
Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rift (Part 3/4)
Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rip (Part 4/4)
For My Readers
What's Next?

Chapter 28: Fairez Stella (Part 2/3)

352 55 9
By Spookyspackles

          Káel awoke to the gentle beams of dawnbreak, nestled into the wine red cushions of a polished oak carriage. He felt strange in the rocking wagon, the birds that sang upon Cobalt's roof at this hour nowhere to be heard with their lulling notes. It was a sound he'd found comfort in all these months, now replaced by a creaking grind as the strange parrot-ostriches pulling the cart kept to their pace. 

          Truvius stirred as Káel moved his arm, lifting his cheek off his shoulder with a bleary eyed squint and yawn. "Still early."

          Káel shifted his gaze to Vera and Talli, still passed out with an array of candied fruits and chocolates littering their cushions. She hadn't spoken to him since hopping in the carriage. Not even a grunt when he offered to pay her back for the carriage ride. 

          With another twist of slithering guilt rocking his road-sickness, Káel shifted his gaze to Locke. He'd taken the only seat facing the wagon's front, sat upright on the maroon cushion with his eyes gently closed. Until Káel stared too long and one of them cracked open.

          He averted his gaze, chills tickling his spine as he nudged Truvius to whisper. "How long until we're at Fairez Stella?

          Truvius blankly stared at the floor, whatever answering device he had in his brain still asleep.

          "Should be there by the early aft," a cheery voice cut in, the small wooden slot blocking their view of the carriage front slipping up for the driver to peek through with a blinding pool of light. "We'll be coming in on a beautiful view of her. His Majesty Elisious has blessed the city with Avrinidas' beauty and Cognito's wit. The greatest crowned jewel for the greatest nation upon Lumi."

          Káel slowly nodded, dipping his whisper even lower in the hopes that only Truvius would hear him. "Who are those people?"

          Truvius let out another yawn, looking out the slot at the smiling woman. "That's the carriage driver..." he bounced his finger at her in thought. "Jil?"

          "Your memory serves you well."

          "No," Káel whispered, frowning as Vera stirred. "the people she was talking about."

          The exhaustion in Truvius' eyes deadpanned to disappointment, a signature look when he thought Káel's question was beyond dumb. "Which one? The goddess of beauty, the god of knowledge, or the emperor of Alta Staar, who's in our history textbook?"

          Káel nodded, voice void of amusement as he relaxed back into his seat. "Thanks. Didn't mean to wake you." 

          "Fairez Stella, have you two been?" Jil said, eyes now drawn from the slot to navigate the ride off the trail and onto a flatter mound of grass. "There's plenty of room up front here, if your worried about waking the others."

          After a moments glance, the two boys seized the offer for fresh air and starlight, climbing out the carriage as quietly as their clunking boots could let them. Káel was greeted by a snort from Nel, the dragon happily curled atop the ride, where a cushion of woven moss eased her limbs, and a small cloth top shaded her black scales. 

          Unsure as to how she wanted to be greeted, Káel opted for a nervous wave, scooching up next to Jil with Truvius sliding in just after. Jil continued the small talk, allowing Káel to throw the blue and green spearbeaks fruits every so often as they traveled the rolling hills of emerald grass.

          Káel never noticed how time traveled. Sped by fresh air, full starlight, a full stomach, and most importantly, someone to have a dumb conversation with. Truvius had gotten over his morning bite, and Jil was the perfect match to keep the conversation going. Káel just nudged in where he could, entirely comfortable sitting back to soak in the first string of friendly conversation since fleeing Cobalt.

          Since Samanthra's office.

          For the first time in days, he finally felt safe. Like a kid on a field trip to some weird medieval fair, just enjoying nothing but the journey. It wasn't long before Vera and Talli had awoken, and before Káel knew it, he could see the edges of a city. 

          The hills had grown like a rippling pond, the carriage travelling one of the tallest mounds to overlook a new sea of stone. the city was contained by a wall of carved rock, and even from their distance, Káel could make out the pools of bright flowers springing from their cracks and bases. From painted walls, to the gold and green banner of Alta Staar's crown, the sight wove itself seamlessly into beauty. 

          Despite the city's surprising size, it made its castle well known, peaking over every structure in the sea like a lavish ship. Tall and proud, the cluster of sharp stone towers were as intricately beautiful as they were intimidating. The aggressive height of the palace muted only by its rich, golden yellow skin.

          Káel paid it the silent awe it had earned. Stunning enough to put a hundred Cobalts to shame.

          As they dipped towards the city, the roads became clustered, the carriage finally having to reach a standstill behind a line of the larger transports trying to enter one of the gates. Vera opted to complete the journey by foot, the group giving Jil one last wave as they cut along the grass to reach a smaller gate for on-foot travelers. 

          The line to get in was smaller, and moved at a fairer pace. Vera had graced Káel with a conversation in answering his questions about the city, blaming both the afternoon and nice weather for the backlog.

          The group kept to the shade of the walls as the line moved, Truvius tracing his finger through the interlocking stones of white and grey. "Man, it really is a fortress." He pulled his head back to whistle at the height, his face suddenly dropping as he looked to the sky. "I forgot to tell Shriek I was leaving... what's he gonna eat?"

          "A poor defenseless animal?" Phantom cooed, pulling a snicker out of Káel that he swallowed when Locke eyed him.

          "He'll take care of himself." Káel assured, trying to keep his gaze away from Locke, and landing it on the ravenhaired woman just ahead of them instead. 

          She seemed to have drawn the Songbird's attention as well, leaning against the wall with her full attention on Puff. She'd plucked one of the vining flowers, its orange hue contrasting the floral purple robe that hugged her like a dress. With a soft smile, she was playing the flower through the grass, watching Puff eye it with a slow and steady wiggle of his butt.

          She lifted her gaze before the dragon decided to pounce, her concentration softening to a bashful smile as she locked gazes with Káel. "Oh, I'm sorry. Is he with you?"

          Káel tried to cover the offended frown he'd been weighing her with, scooping the dragon into his arms with a nervous chuckle. "He's my guardian."

          "Or are you his?" She played, dropping the flower and shooting Locke the smallest glance before giving Káel one extra step of space. "The starlight must be torture on the little bundle of fluff. This land has never seen snow." She wiggled her fingers at him, her smile cattish as Puff shrank into Káel's arms. "I suppose he's not very playful with fingers."

          "He usually is." Káel replied. "There's probably too many people. It's new for him."

          The woman's mouth curled into a grin. "Are you a foreigner then? I've hardly met a soul that hasn't seen the grand city of Fairez Stella." She flicked her gaze to Vera, warmth dimpling her cheeks as she dipped her head. "I know you come here quite often. With your father. Never thought I'd see you with a Bird instead."

          "Sorry, do I know you?" Vera replied, a distinct bite in her voice for the strange woman that paid her too few manners.

          "Know me? Yes." the woman replied, relaxing her walk so she could get two steps closer to the group. "I'd hope most of you do. I don't believe you've seen me though." She motioned to Locke. "Aside from your Bird; luck is not enough to avoid his eyes." 

          She didn't step forwards as the line inched, allowing Káel's group to cautiously come to her. 

          The woman was more amused by the rigid teens, caution a song she danced to as she closed the distance on Káel completely. "There isn't a need for fear. I am quite harmless, your Bird can vouch."

          "I cannot. But I will stop you if you try anything." Locke replied, stuck almost as close as Káel to the woman, which did nothing to dull everyone's nerves.

          "Good enough." She chirped, stretching her hand for Káel to shake, despite his arms filled with a fluffy dragon. "I study ancient artifacts, it's a passion of mine. A full-time hobby." she moved her hand to point at Káel's collarbone where the dragon tooth rested over his shirt. "I've seen only one of those before. You do know those things are cursed, right?"

          "Yeah, so I've heard. I'm a Lumer though, so it's not that bad." Káel replied, trying at a friendly tone for the guest.

          She paused. "A Lumer? Really?"

          "You're headed to the palace?" Locke cut in, some ease softening his frown as the woman left Káel's side to join his. 

          "Oh no. I keep the reunions down to once a year, if that." she replied, spurring more confusion from all but Locke. The woman traced her gaze up and down the Songbird, bumping his elbow with a grin. "Would I be wrong to assume you're headed there?"

          Locke didn't give a response, moving as the line did. 

          "It's not much of a secret to me. Where else would you go?" she continued, breaking from his side to take her place back in the line. 

          They were almost at the gates, the two guards mostly waving people through with the flash of a paper or single question. The woman caught the cautious squints of the teens, pinching the edges of her flowing silk for a small and nearly sarcastic curtsy.

          "Name's Avellaine." She rested on Káel with a playful wink. "I wish you the best of luck on your journey, Káel." 

          Káel watched Avellaine pass the guards without a single question, one of the uniformed men slipping back their sand yellow sleeve to mutter into a sender. Káel frowned, only realising after she had vanished into the massive city that he hadn't introduced himself once.

          The other guard greeted Locke with a smile. Unlike the border guards, he didn't even flinch at the sight of him, nor the scaly black dragon sat at his side. "Any poisons or volatile enchantments?"

          Locke pulled a whistle from his pocket, the same as the one he had gifted Káel, only gold.

          "Just doing my job, sir. Please remember, city is a no fly zone, riders or otherwise." The guard chimed, waving for him to pass with a soft chuckle. Káel felt Vera nudge him and Truvius forwards, the fiery princess taking the attention of the guard, and his returning companion. 

          She flashed them her family crest, motioning to Káel, Truvius and Talli with a friendly smile. "Just visiting, these are my friends. Any questions?"

          The guard silently eyed his companion again, the gruffer man waving them through and turning back to mutter into his sender for yet another call. 

Don't forget to:

COMMENT/CRITIQUE/(VOTE IF YOU WANT)

Quality Quip #50:

'The city is a place where you go out for a walk and get a breath of fresh air pollution.'

~ Anon

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

300K 29K 82
Her memory was taken. Her skills were not. Her very presence is a threat to everything he has ever cared for. They might make a powerful team... ...
20.1K 2.3K 42
The Blackwell Legend. It dates back before the Salem witch trials, which tells of a family having mystical abilities to open portals, make objects m...
78.9K 5.4K 43
Have you ever had anything strange happen to you that you couldn't explain? One moment you're normal, the next... Well, it happened to me. On my s...
6.1K 823 47
"Am I going to break you, Case? Or are you bamboo?" The days are dry and hot, school is out, and all 17-year-old Case wants to do is party hard with...