π”–π”«π”žπ”­π”’'𝔰 β„œπ”’π”±π”²π”―π”« (β„­οΏ½...

By Space_Queen_Q

"No!" Hermione's beautiful, pain-filled voice tore through me. I spun and watched as she sank to the earth... More

ΰΉ‘Ϋž 𝔐𝔢 𝔖𝔬 β„­π”žπ”©π”©π”’π”‘ π”‡π”’π”žπ”±π”₯ ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž 𝔄𝔩𝔦𝔳𝔒 ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž 𝔗π”₯𝔒 ℑ𝔠𝔒 𝔔𝔲𝔒𝔒𝔫 ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž π”–π”žπ”³π”¦π”«π”€ π”–π”«π”žπ”­π”’ ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž 𝔗π”₯𝔒 β„­π”₯π”žπ”―π”€π”’π”° π”„π”€π”žπ”¦π”«π”°π”± π”œπ”¬π”² 𝔄𝔯𝔒 - β„Œπ”’π”―π”¬π”¦π” π”° ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž π”šπ”¦π”·π”’π”«π”€π”žπ”ͺ𝔬𝔱 ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž 𝔄 𝔏𝔬𝔰𝔦𝔫𝔀 π”…π”žπ”±π”±π”©π”’ ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž β„Œπ”¦π”ͺπ”žπ”©π”žπ”Άπ”žπ”« β„œπ”’π” π”¬π”³π”’π”―π”Ά ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž π”…π”žπ” π”¨ 𝔱𝔬 𝔱π”₯𝔒 π”˜π”°π”²π”žπ”© π”Šπ”―π”¦π”«π”‘ ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž β„­π”žπ”«'𝔱 π”„π”©π”΄π”žπ”Άπ”° π”Šπ”’π”± π”šπ”₯π”žπ”± π”œπ”¬π”² π”šπ”žπ”«π”± ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž π”˜π”«π”’π”΅π”­π”’π” π”±π”’π”‘ 𝔑𝔒𝔴𝔰 ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž π”“π”žπ”°π”°π”¦π”«π”€ 𝔑𝔬𝔱𝔒𝔰 ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž π”‰π”žπ”― 𝔑𝔬𝔯𝔱π”₯ ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž 𝔅𝔯𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱 π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔖π”₯𝔦𝔫𝔢 𝔉𝔲𝔱𝔲𝔯𝔒 ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž β„Œπ”žπ”―π”Ÿπ”¦π”«π”€π”’π”― 𝔬𝔣 π”…π”žπ”‘ 𝔗𝔦𝔑𝔦𝔫𝔀s ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž 𝔗π”₯𝔒 π”šπ”₯𝔦𝔱𝔒 π”šπ”¬π”©π”£ ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž π”šπ”¦π”©π”© π”œπ”¬π”²...۞ ΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž πŸ’:𝟎𝟎 𝔄.𝔐. ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž 𝔇𝔬𝔴𝔫 π”˜π”«π”‘π”’π”― ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž 𝔗π”₯𝔒 π”ˆπ”°π”±π”žπ”±π”’ ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž π”…π”―π”’π”žπ”±π”₯𝔒 ℑ𝔫, 𝔒𝔫𝔒 - 𝔗𝔴𝔬 ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž π”ˆπ”© π”π”žπ”―π”žπ”Ÿπ”’ π”—π”žπ”­π”žπ”±π”¦π”¬ ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋžπ”—π”₯π”žπ”«π”¨ 𝔐𝔒𝔯𝔩𝔦𝔫 π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔄𝔩𝔩 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔒𝔱π”₯𝔒𝔯 π”Šπ”―π”’π”žπ”± π”šπ”¦π”·π”žπ”―π”‘π”°ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž 𝔗π”₯𝔒 β„­π”žπ”©π”© ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž 𝔄𝔣𝔱𝔒𝔯π”ͺπ”žπ”±π”₯ ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž 𝔄𝔩𝔩 'π”Šπ”¬π”¬π”‘' 𝔗π”₯𝔦𝔫𝔀𝔰 𝔐𝔲𝔰𝔱 π”ˆπ”«π”‘ ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž 𝔗π”₯𝔒 π”ˆπ”«π”‘ 𝔐𝔢 𝔉𝔯𝔦𝔒𝔫𝔑 ΫžΰΉ‘
ΰΉ‘Ϋž π”ˆπ”­π”¦π”©π”¬π”€π”²π”’ ΫžΰΉ‘
Second Chance - Chapter One
ΰΉ‘Ϋž π”„π”΄π”žπ”―π”‘π”° π”žπ”«π”‘ πŸ’œΫžΰΉ‘

ΰΉ‘Ϋž ℭ𝔲𝔭𝔦𝔑 & 𝔓𝔰𝔢𝔠π”₯𝔒 ΫžΰΉ‘

1.8K 95 78
By Space_Queen_Q

     With a shake of my head, I stood, holding the doorknob of Belinda Hook's office, struggling to remember why I agreed to do this. It wasn't as if Narcissa had given me much choice on the matter, but did I really need a matchmaker? Was I really so hopeless that I needed guidance on the subject?

     Given the absurd amount of letters that I'd received from ready and willing women, it was clear that I had options. Of course, I hadn't taken it upon myself to respond to any of the offers. Even still, it really shouldn't be that difficult to find a wife.

     Deciding I'd wasted enough time standing around, I pulled the door open and made my way inside.

     "It's an honor to finally meet with you, Mr. Snape, please come in," the matchmaker announced while grasping my hand in an exuberant handshake as she looked me over.

     Belinda Hooks was a tall, nicely curved woman decorated with black, white, and multiple shades of red that adorned her robes and hair, making her look like an exotic peacock. Usually, such an elaborate looking appearance would make me inwardly cringe, however on Hooks, it looked flattering and gave her an inviting feel.

     She led me to a large stone and wood parlor that held various comfortable looking loveseats and chairs arranged around two dramatic-looking fireplaces that sat on opposing walls.

     She lifted her arm, "Take any seat you'd like so we can have a little chat about what you're looking for in a life partner."

     Scanning the room, I spotted a chair that looked identical to one in my study. I'd made it to the chair and sat down before noticing that Hook's hadn't followed me and was busy loading refreshments onto a silver tray.

     When she'd finally made her way over, I'd become uncomfortable under her assessing gaze. As if knowing I was feeling leery, she set tea and a plate, with a few finger sandwiches, down as a peace offering.

     She handed me the cup of tea and sat in the chair to my left, holding a beverage of her own.

     I placed the rim of the teacup to my lips and was pleasantly surprised by the unsweetened or creamed peppermint and clove tea. It was the optimal temperature of roughly seventy-eight degrees, and I suspected Narcissa had told her all about me and my preferences.

     When I looked up into her red-brown eyes, she was smiling warmly, and I felt myself growing comfortable - relaxed even - which was odd given the situation. I briefly wondered if she'd slipped something into my tea. I carefully sniffed the steaming liquid before setting it on the table and began fussing with the cloak that lay over my legs.

     "Severus, " she paused, her smile growing wide, "...is it okay if I call you that?"

     I wasn't sure how I felt about this stranger calling me by my first name but nodded anyway to avoid seeming rude.

     "I can't begin to tell you how excited I was when Narcissa wrote to tell me that you would be utilizing my services to find your future wife."

     An involuntary grimace crossed my face at the very mention of the w-word. I hid it behind a congenial smile and a polite nod of my head, "Narcissa speaks very highly of you, so I have the utmost faith in your skills."

     She blushed under the praise before continuing, "She's such a darling woman and cares a great deal about finding the right match for you."

     A growing sense of apprehension caused my stomach to tie itself into knots as she continued excitedly, "I don't know if you're aware, but you're in the peak of your game, and I'm positive you can have anyone you'd like. So, if there's someone you're interested in, then just give me her name, and I will deliver her on a silver platter."

     "If I knew of someone I was actually attracted to..." and didn't feel like I was doing something taboo or forbidden, I neglected to add. "...I wouldn't need a professional matchmaker, would I?"

     "I just thought if you already had someone in mind, I would go with that option first, but you're right about needing me." She giggled happily before continuing, "Most people aren't very comfortable with utilizing a matchmaker, but you deserve happiness after everything you did and are continuing to do for the Wizarding world. Personally, I want this for you, and if I wasn't already crazy in love with my Ruhi, I'd try my luck."

     Belinda winked playfully, and I wondered if she had something in her eye as opposed to actually attempting to flirt with me. I don't flirt - at least I don't think I do.

     "Severus, why don't you start by telling me about the type of person you're attracted to."

     "Well, I..." A long-dead one, I thought morbidly before Hermione's porcelain face taunted me.

     I sighed heavily when realizing this was going to be much harder than I'd first thought. It seems the universe got a kick out of messing with me and my ability to stop the enthralling and all-consuming circular thoughts of Hermione and her numerous qualities.

     I kept pushing the tantalizing little witch out of my mind as best I could, but I couldn't stop replaying all my memories of her. I'd even thought of the times I'd been overly cruel just to make sure my cover was never blown, and I regretted that I'd ever done something to cause her a moment of pain.

     Clearing my throat, I began shifting around in an attempt to get comfortable again and to keep from locating another seat or better yet resign myself to the idea of being a professional bachelor and leave.

     Belinda had patiently waited as I struggled through my conflicting thoughts before she spoke, "I read your story in the newspaper like everyone else in the Wizarding world. Your love for Lily Potter was such a touching, romantic and dare I say, sexy story. Why don't you tell me what it was about her that attracted you?"

     I thought about Lily, and the usual dull ache gripped at my chest. I knew Hook's would ask about Lily, but it was something I'd ever been comfortable talking about, especially with someone I'd just met.

     Clearing my throat didn't remove the lump that had formed, so I took a sip of my tea to give me a moment to recompose myself.

     Belinda must have figured out her error, and she shifted around uneasily. "You don't have to tell me your conversations with her or how you met, or even how you fell for her, but I do want to know what it was that made her so endearing to you."

     I closed my eyes while breathing deeply a few times before speaking. "I was comfortable with her. She could see me and my motivations even when I couldn't figure them out myself. She was a brilliant and skilled witch. Her kindness was inspiring, believing that all sentient beings deserved to live in a dignified manner. She burned so brightly it ignited my very soul to be near her."

     I sighed at the ache in my chest before opening my eyes to see Belinda dabbing at very small or invisible tears with a red handkerchief and waving her other hand like a fan.

     "That's so beautiful," she scribbled a note onto some parchment with a Quick-Quotes Quill that I hadn't noticed was floating on the far side of her chair.  "It sounds like she was a wonderful woman. Obviously, there's no replacing her. It seems like it was her kindness that really attracted you to her. So, someone smart and kind, but not afraid to speak her mind, even in the face of adversity."

     Nodding I added, "I'd also like if she'd be willing to clean and do the dishes. Since I enjoy cooking and am a fussy eater, I'll be preparing the meals." I looked her in the eye so she knew I meant everything I said, "Most importantly, someone who can deal with my incessant need to be tidy and keep everything in its rightful place - I'm very organized."

     The red-head chuckled lightly, and I wasn't sure what she could have possibly found funny, as it wasn't meant as a joke. "No problem. Do you have any hobbies that you enjoy and would want her to have?"

     Hermione's face appeared, and I was back in my lab, working with her on the adjustments to my pain potions. I hadn't been able to keep from watching her moving around as she seemed to innately know how things were organized. It had been surprisingly soothing and comforting to be near her.

     "I have a need to continuously learn new things and am very involved in all aspects of crafting potions. It would be nice to share that with someone."

     "Potions, inquisitive mind and if she had her own hobby as well so you'd both have things to share a new love of. Do you have other hobbies?"

     "I grow and breed magical plants and animals. I enjoy cooking and reading." I felt a little strange saying the next bit, but I wanted a family, "I also would like to have children."

     Her face lit up, "Of course. You'll be a wonderful father. I kept a separate file of all the women who already have children even though they are viable prospects; I thought you might want your own biological children."

     I nodded, "Yes, I really want to build a family from the ground up."

     "Do you have a physical preference you enjoy more than others?"

     I was a little unsure what she was asking, but if it was skin color or body shape, I wasn't concerned with such trivial things, "Alive and healthy."

     She nodded slowly with an awkward smile on her face, "Right."

     I decided I liked her looking uncomfortable so I smirked at her before taking a sip of my tea.

     "I've been contacted by interested women and some men, who saw the Prophet saying that I was going to be your matchmaker," she stopped talking as I felt my jaw drop open.

     "Surely, you've seen Rita Skeeter's articles?" She quirked a red eyebrow at me.

     I cleared my throat and took another sip of the herbal tea, hating that I was uncomfortable - again. "No, but her knack for discovering secrets that people want to keep hidden shouldn't surprise me. And just to clarify, I'm looking for a woman - only."

     "Don't worry; I knew that you were straight when you walked in the front door. As I was saying, Skeeter let the cat out of the bag, and I've been contacted, overwhelmed is more accurate, with requests to have a date with you. I've received hundreds of owls."

     A splash of hot liquid hit my thumb, realizing I was shaking the fragile teacup, I quickly set it carefully down on the coffee table. "Hundreds? You've got to be kidding, and it's not funny."

     She pulled her wand out and accioed several boxes full of letters. The smell of different perfumes from the various colored papers assaulted my nose, and I shook my head, trying to clear it.

     They stacked themselves by her chair, and she smiled at me, "I've been swamped looking over every viable person who contacted me and ran background checks on a few dozen that I believed you'd get along well with based on your profession, hobbies as well as past girlfriends that Narcissa informed me of."

     She leaned in and whispered as if telling me a secret, even though we were completely alone in the large room. "Also, any letters I received that were confusing to read, I put in a bin, and you can look at them if you want to. I was informed that you enjoy mind teasers and puzzles."

     I couldn't help but smile at her theatrics, feeling more comfortable with her, and also a bit hopeful that she'd be able to find the right person for me. My eyes trailed over the boxes, and I noted the labels from height, ethnicity to hobbies, and even muggles, which was surprising since I wondered how they'd even know of me. "Was there anyone that came to mind from our discussion?"

     "Yes." She waved her wand, and several dozen letters stacked themselves next to my abandoned tea. "This is my first choice based on what I'd already known about you and our discussion," a letter with an attached picture of a stunning redhead floated in front of me.

     Belinda continued, "Her name is Cindy St. James. She's a professor and has a passion for knowledge."

     "Really?" I inspected Cindy's picture, "Tell me more."

     We discussed the pretty green-eyed redhead for a while before I agreed to go out with her. Belinda helped me decide where to take Cindy for the date that she assured me that she'd set up for this Friday.

     Now all I had to do was tell Narcissa about this development and hope she wouldn't make me go shopping for new clothes.

*******

     I'd been busy on a new case with Abdelaziz and Markus all week and Friday had come in a flash. It was a good thing, too because I'd barely had time to think about how nervous I actually was at the prospect of finding a wife.

     Cindy St. James, I'm pretty sure that's her name, could potentially be the woman of my dreams. According to the file Hooks had on her, Cindy was well educated, a professor of art history, and not interested in money.

     I later found out from Narcissa that St. James was a self-made millionaire, but didn't carry on airs like Lucius does. Not that I cared about the money at all, but to know she was intelligent enough to acquire her wealth was intriguing.

     As the nerve-wracking thought of finding a wife filtered into my mind, Hermione's heart-shaped face appeared - just to remind me of what I already knew I really wanted and couldn't have.

     I stood, holding the doorknob to Hooks office for several long minutes, taking deep cleansing breaths to dispel the thoughts of full strawberry flavored lips. The last thing I needed right now was to be thinking of her, especially just before meeting the beautiful woman who might very well turn out to be my future wife.

     "Severus!" Belinda exclaimed loudly when I finally worked up the nerve to enter the familiar meeting room from earlier this week.

     I stumbled a little when Cindy slowly stood and turned to face me.

     Her long garnet hair draped in looping curls to her small waist, and her bright emerald eyes seemed to penetrate me. She reminded me of a model or highly sought after actress, and I wondered why in Merlin's name did she want to go on a date with me when she could obviously have any man she wanted? 

     As her vibrant eyes roamed over me, I became hyper-aware of the fact that I owed Narcissa a huge thank you for dressing me for this date, since I'd initially planned on wearing my usual black robes. The three-piece, fine stitch embroidered black silk jacket with a dark purple button up, made me look like I knew how to dress to impress and that I had a good amount of confidence.

     I continued forward, attempting to appear self-assured even though my palms were sweaty, and my legs felt rubbery. I worried that I'd make an idiot of myself by tripping into the wall or something else that wasn't all together athletic.

     "Belinda," I shook the smiling matchmaker's hand and then turned my attention to the green-eyed beauty.

     "Severus, this is Cindy St. James," Hooks lifted her arm in offering to the delicately curved witch.

     I moved closer, bringing her dainty hand to my lips for a quick kiss, "It's nice to make your acquaintance."

     "It's so very exciting to meet you, Mr. Severus," The little beauty squeaked out.

     I froze in surprise as every cell in my body cringed at her high pitched nails on a chalkboard voice. Now I understood why she was still single.

     Standing up straight, I cleared my throat, in the hopes that it would remove the distaste I had for her vocal cords while attempting to avoid insulting the pretty redhead, "Severus or Mr. Snape will do nicely. Not, Mr. Severus."

     "I apologize, I'm not good at this kind of thing, and I'm a bit nervous about meeting you," she admitted before blushing attractively.

     Over the many years of teaching I'd learned how to ignore annoying voices to keep my sanity, especially when it came to Dolores Umbridge and Rita Skeeter. I paused for a moment, wondering if I could do that with the witch I was staring down at currently.

     As warmly as I could manage, I smiled at her. "It's been quite some time since I've dated, so I'm nervous as well."

     "That makes me feel significantly better," she breathed out slowly.

     "So," Belinda cut into my thoughts with a cheerful voice and matching smile. "Severus and Cindy, as you know, I have rules, and I'd like to go over them with you once more before you head out."

     Hook's had already informed me that it's essential to have established boundaries for the first date, but I wasn't too sure how I felt about all this.

     "The first rule goes without question; you'll be expected to behave with proper manners and etiquette, such as using the words please and thank you. Severus, you'll be required to open the doors for Cindy and that type of chivalrous behavior. Do you both understand?"

     "Yes," I couldn't believe people were really so stunted mentally that she'd had to state such things to them.

     Cindy had managed to draw closer to me, and her floral aroma smelled as good as she'd looked, "I'm sure Severus will treat me like his queen, and I'll be sure to thank him for it."

     I didn't really want to after such a stupid statement, but I gave her what Narcissa insisted a charming smile looked like and waited for Belinda to continue.

     "Rule two. No expensive gifts because your feelings aren't for sale."

     Cindy looked at her empty left-hand ring finger and sighed wistfully before squeaking, "I understand."

     "I'm not that kind of guy," I blurted realizing that yes, I was being honest, but that may have been too blunt especially when I noticed that Belinda quirked an eyebrow and seemed to be doing her best not to chastise me before continuing with the rules.

     "I believe men should take charge in the first encounter to show they are capable of planning out a thoughtful date. Severus has everything planned, and I approved of his choices." She winked at Cindy before continuing, "Now, if you two decide to have another date you can discuss the details of that together, but I need to know about it. Understood?"

     I nodded.

     "I know Severus will show me a very good time," Her eyes roamed suggestively over me again, and I felt my heart rate jump.

     "Next rule, no more than two alcoholic beverages. Getting drunk isn't attractive, and it warps your better judgment, impairing your decision-making skills. I want you to remember your date and to take it seriously. Do you agree to that rule?"

     If I was really going to enjoy a date with chalkboard voice, I was going to need firewhisky to numb my eardrums - lots of it. "I understand."

     "I don't drink much because it makes you fat." She wiggled her petite body, drawing my eyes to all the nicely curved spots.

     I was suddenly reminded of a Ravenclaw that had a crush on me when I'd first started teaching at Hogwarts. She'd been beautiful and only a handful of years younger than me, but I was a professor, and I didn't break the rules back then. The young Ravenclaw had said and done stupid and obvious things to get compliments from me, and that was not something I found attractive. For a grown woman to be doing it made me wonder how much confidence she actually had under all that pretty.

     "Finally, no sex within the first three months of seeing each other."

     I felt my shoulders slump at the same time my date scoffed.

     Belinda gave us both a stern look and said firmly, "I'm not a pimp, and you two claim to be looking for a real committed relationship with the hopes of marriage. There's no reason to rush into sex when you have the rest of your lives to do that." Her eyes darted back and forth between the two of us, making sure we were paying close attention to her, "Do you understand?"

     Looking down at Cindy, I thought about all the strange squeaking noises that I'd get her to make if we went to bed together and decided it would be for the best if I could put up with her speaking voice first, "Understood."

     Cindy's vibrant green eyes trailed over me, sending excited shivers down my spine. "I'll wait if that's the rules," she lamented.

     We locked eyes and smiled. Pity that she wasn't mute. I'd learn sign language, and she wouldn't annoy me with that voice. It could work - maybe.

     "All right, you two, go and have a wonderful date, and I look forward to hearing from the both of you within the next day or two."

     I nodded and offered my arm to Cindy, "Shall we?"

     She picked up her black and green shawl that coordinated perfectly with her fitted gown. I smiled a little when realizing that she dressed like Narcissa and I wouldn't be surprised if my friend owned an identical dress.

     We made our way out of the building before she asked, "Where are we headed, Severus?"

     "As it happens, one of my good friends owns a very extensive private collection of artwork and he goes on about how wonderful it is, but I never took the time to fully appreciate his passion. I thought our date was a great opportunity for me to learn more about this subject from someone with your expertise."

     She chuckled warmly, and I felt myself relax a little, "You realize that I specialize in muggle art, correct?"

     "Yes, Belinda informed me. I'm always eager to learn something new; it's a curse I've lived with my whole life."

     "In that case, what museum will we be visiting?"

     "The Louvre," she sucked in a pleased breath as I continued, "I hope you don't mind educating me, professor."

     "I'm pleased that you have a curious mind and that you're open to learning about the arts. Not everyone does. I'd be honored to show you around, Severus."

     We'd reached the corner where international apparating was conducted, and within moments we were standing on Pont du Carrousel bridge, just over the Seine river in Paris, France. "Here we are," I smiled as we strolled companionably towards the large brick buildings surrounding the glass pyramid of the museum.

     After making it through the line to get inside, we made our way towards the Mona Lisa Gallery as Cindy insisted we do as soon as we arrived.

     "The Mona Lisa is the most visited piece of work here." Her voice was still irritating me, but at least I wasn't cringing each time her mouth opened.

     "I'm told the painting technique da Vinci used made things appear three-dimensional, which I'm curious to see," I admitted.

     "He was known as a master of the chiaroscuro technique. It's a way of layering paint and glaze to catch the light in the room."

     We made it to the barrier surrounding the famed painting as Cindy squeaked on about da Vinci and his numerous interests that led to him being variously called the father of paleontology, ichnology, and architecture as well as being considered one of the greatest painters of all time.

     I was fascinated by the extent of the brilliant man and his interests.

     We stood for some time, surrounded by dozens of muggles to look at his work. My eyes seemed to be stuck on the entrancing masterpiece, making it hard to look away from the subtle glint of humor twinkling in Mona's eyes and pulling gently at her mouth.

     The press of the crowd began to wear on me, forcing my focus away from the painting and towards the see of people clambering around it for a better view. I felt like I wasn't getting enough air and decided that I needed a short break to calm my fraying nerves.

     I took Cindy's small hand and led her out of the cluster of humans, and the tension in my shoulders relaxed when no one but my date was in arm's length.

     "Everything okay?" She asked with a look of worry on her face.

     "I don't mind crowds, but I prefer not to feel like a canned sardine," I tried joking.

     She quirked a pretty red eyebrow at me before lightly laughing out, "I agree, but seeing the Mona Lisa was worth the smelly surroundings."

     We companionably strolled around for an hour, looking at various pieces that she'd spoke passionately about. I found that I was attracted to her physically and mentally, but her voice seemed to keep me from really feeling like I could warm up to her - or take her seriously.

     Jerking me from my thoughts, she inquired, "Was there something here you're most looking forward to seeing?"

     "Yes," I instantly wished I'd said no.

     "What is it?"

     I wasn't altogether sure that a first date needed to have a discussion about love but it was too late now. "The sculpture of Cupid and Psyche."

     She gave me a charming smile, "You're a romantic?"

     "I've been accused of such things, but I'm pragmatic and logical. Not what one considers romantic by any standards."

     "Then why that particular sculpture?"

     "I'd read the mythology when I was young - full of absurd ideas. I've wanted to see it ever since."

     "It's a fascinating mythos. What drew you to it?"

     "When Psyche looked upon Cupid's face, after promising him she'd never do so she shattered the trust they'd shared. Love needs trust like a plant needs sunlight. However, this couple always made me question if love can bloom from physical attraction alone or if it's essential to have a true meeting of the minds to be viable."

     She quirked a brow at me, "If he'd spoken to her before using the arrow, do you think he'd still use it?"

     "I don't know. Psyche proved that she was intelligent when she performed the three tasks to keep Cupid as her husband. I don't understand how this is possible, but what if he didn't like smart women?"

     "Good question. One that I don't have an answer for either." She chuckled lightly. "Psyche must have been incredibly stunning for the known heartthrob God of desire to become so enamored with her that he disobeyed Aphrodite."

     "Which leads me back to my original question; is being aesthetically pleasing enough to build a relationship on?"

     Bright-emerald eyes ran over my face as if she was trying to perform legilimens. "Do you think Cupid made a good choice?"

    Shrugging, "Perhaps seeing the sculpture will allow me to experience a little bit of what he felt for Psyche, and then I can tell you what I think."

     She studied my face before pointing in the direction of the large white marble sculpture that was held in the warm rays of sunlight streaming through the nearby window.

     A magnet seemed to pull me to Antonio Canova's stunning creation, and I slowly walked around it so that I could see all the details of the massive winged Cupid and his beloved Psyche. I noted that there weren't certain emotions on either marble face, but the body postures of both forms spoke volumes about their desire to be with one another.

     I stopped walking as the all too familiar pangs of longing stirred in my chest, and suddenly I envisioned myself hovering over Hermione as Cupid was doing to his wife. Her creamy skin was begging to be worshiped, and I could taste strawberries as I moved in to kiss her.

     "Severus?" Cindy was pulling on my sleeve and giving me a strange look I couldn't figure out.

     "It's more lifelike than I expected."

     "Yes, it is, but I asked what you'd said?"

     I tilted my head sideways in confusion.

    "It sounded like you said, Hermione." She studied my face.

     Shit! Really Severus? Now you're going to vocally bring Granger up on your date? I scolded myself. I shook my head and did my best to come up with a quick lie, "I was reminded of the goddess Hera, and wondered if there was some correlation between the two women."

     She gave me a long contemplative look before speaking, "I suppose that Cupid needed Psyche to balance him into his true state of being - Eros. Completing his family by having his daughter, Soul, I can see the parallels between the two woman, considering Hera is the goddess of marriage, family, and childbirth; a necessary half to make a whole."

     I let out a long sigh of relief and smiled, while silently thanking Merlin that I'd remembered reading enough mythology to pull Hera's name out of thin air like that. 

     "What do you think of the work?"

     "It's stunning." I pictured Psyche's long hair was butterscotch toned, and her eyes were a deep chocolate-brown.

     "Do you think Cupid was foolish?"

     I noted that whatever Cupid had been holding was carelessly tossed aside so that he could quickly grab hold of her, "I think for him, it was the right choice."

     "How so?"

     Trailing my eyes over the beautifully crafted marble, I spoke, "You can see that he needed Psyche like he needs air. He'd do anything for her, including disobeying his jealous mother - Aphrodite."

     She nodded, slowly giving me an appraising look, "Do you believe in love at first sight?"

     I'd grown to love Lily over time because of who she was and how well we knew each other. Zofia Harlow was the only other woman that I've been in love with, and she'd disliked me as much as I despised her when we'd first met. I could confidently say that even though all my ex-girlfriends were physically attractive, I'd been seduced by their ability to think for themselves.

     I gave Cindy a genuine smile, realizing it was necessary for me to have a mental connection with someone to fall in love or even feel the stirrings of it. "Not where I'm concerned, but I can't say it doesn't exist." I waved my hand at the white marble couple.

     "I believe that love happens all the time in varying degrees. As a matter of fact - I believe you already love me because of the way I look and my credentials."

     "That's not love, that's attraction." Something I was feeling less of where she was concerned as she prattled on.

     "Love is the varying degrees of attraction we have to something. We live on a scale," she pointed to the ground, "Hate all the way up to love." As she'd spoken she lifted her arm above her head. "You instantly liked the way I looked at Belinda's office, and that put me here on the scale," She moved her hand to her waist. "Add in our thought-provoking discussions," She lifted her hand more. "Add in the fact that you were looking at Psyche and imagining it was you and I up there." She lifted her hand to her mouth, "I'd say you're attracted to me enough at this point to want to kiss me to see if you'd like it."

     I attempted to clear the sticky lump of discomfort from my throat when thinking of kissing her and how terribly wrong she'd been about her assessment.

     "I've been in love twice," Hermione's face visited me again, and I refused to admit my feelings where she was concerned. "It was always because I was intoxicated by their strong personalities and ability to make me comfortable, not because they were beautiful - which they are. Sorry to poke holes in your logic, but I can't say I feel anything for you currently."

     She shook her head in disagreement. "You're very attracted to me, I can tell. I bet if we keep spending time together, it can grow into something you'd recognize as love."

    "You're very beautiful, but..." I neglected to add 'so are Nerium oleander,' a poisonous flower, "... only time will tell if I could grow to love you or if I'd prefer to hang you on my wall to look at every now and then."

     She cocked her head at me, and I realized that I might have sounded a bit psychotic, but it set my teeth on edge that she was telling me how I felt and she was no legilimens. What an idiot!

     I cleared my throat, "I have less than two hours before I'm to meet up with Kingsley Shacklebolt concerning some Ministry business."

     "Oh! I didn't realize we were on such a tight time schedule," she pouted lightly.

     "Working for the Ministry keeps me very busy, particularly when I'm working an active case. I'm sure you understand that this would be something that you'd have to endure if we choose to continue seeing each other." Not that I had any intention of that happening after what she'd just insinuated.

     "Really?" Her eyes grew wide in amazement. "Can you tell me about your involvement with the Ministry? The Prophet is so vague about your successes."

     "As a matter of fact, I could use something to eat, and there's a two-star Michelin restaurant nearby that I made reservations for a late lunch at. I could tell you a bit about what I do at the Ministry as we dine."

     Her face lit up, "Yes, lunch sounds good, and I'd love to hear your heroic tales."

     "Absolutely," I smiled gleefully at Belinda's fortuitous dating rule of having a four-hour time limit for the first date, and cheerfully offered Cindy my arm.

     We ended up eating lunch and talking for over an hour before I insisted that we head back to Hook's office.

     "I had a wonderful time with you, Severus, and I'd like to see you again."

     I smiled as I lied to her pretty face, "I can have Belinda set it up."

     She smiled before moving in close and wrapping her arms around me. I was completely caught off guard as she seemed to climb up me and shove her tongue in my mouth, making me feel like I'd been attacked by a succubus.

     By the time I'd removed her from me, I was breathless, and I felt a bit nauseous. Even though I've never tried, I'm sure it would have been better to have made out with a llama.

     Without a word, she smiled happily before turning on her heel and made her way into Hook's office.

     I stood there for a few minutes feeling violated by the dementor's kiss I'd just endured. I decided that when I got home, I was going to immediately brush my teeth, scrape my tongue and I was even contemplating using an acid-based potion to get the taste of her out of my mouth.

     I sighed heavily as I made my way down the street wondering if I could specify to Belinda that I needed someone whose voice I could tolerate as well as not tell me I'm in love with them due to their looks after only an hour. She was sexually appealing, and I could see sleeping with her a few times, but I'd never be able to put up with her on a daily basis.

     Why was this so hard?

     Hermione Granger...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.9K 1.4K 42
Draco Malfoy: cold, distant, ignorant, rude, arrogant, and above all else, downright gorgeous. Juniper Hartley: caring, intelligent, unfathomably sw...
52.9K 2.2K 29
Severus Snape x Original Female Character After the Dark Lord emerged victorious from the war, having finally killed Harry Potter, new laws were ine...
42.5K 1.3K 28
Love is difficult to explain as one likes to say. But (Y/n)(L/n) falling for her professor, Severus Snape? That was hard to believe. The girl always...
2.7K 102 75
"'What have you done?' Severus asked hotly. But when a carnal sob left her and he met her harrowing gaze, he felt sorry for Elora. She was just a gir...