Zuko's wife

By EmilyMcPherson7

When Zuko was banished his fiance was banished with him. Now three years later they are still in search of th... More

Prologue
The Boy in the Iceberg
The Avatar Returns
The Southern Air Temple
The Warriors of Kyoshi
The King of Omashu
Imprisoned
The Spirit World (Winter Solstice Part 1)
Avatar Roku (Winter Solstice, Part 2)
The Waterbending Scroll
Jet
The Great Divide
The Storm
The Blue Spirit
The Fortuneteller
Bato of the Water Tribe
The Deserter
The Northern Air Temple
The Waterbending Master
The Siege of the North, Part 1
The Siege of the North, Part 2
The Avatar State
The cave of Two Lovers
Return to Omashu
The Swamp
Avatar Day
The Blind Bandit
The Chase
Bitter Work
The Libaray
The Desert
The Serpent's Pass
The Drill
City of Walls and Secrets
The Tales of Ba Sing Se
Appa's Lost Days
Lake Laogai
The Earth King
The Guru
The Crossroads of Destiny
The Awakening

Zuko Alone

6.8K 136 10
By EmilyMcPherson7

Zuko's POV

The sky was partly cloudy. I pasted dead tree dominates the right side of me as I rode on an ostrich horse. I was wearing a round, coolie type hat, I feel sullen.

I rode the ostrich horse over a rope suspension bridge. The ostrich horse had put a foot through one of the planks and almost lost its balance. I acted quickly to right the animal and continue crossing the bridge.

Later, I stopped my mount mid stride as I smelt something. I looked around to find two people in Earth Kingdom clothing around a campfire. I saw the food they were cooking and clutches my stomach. I hadn't eaten in so long. I need food to survive. I moved my hand to the hilt of my two broadswords, then looked again at the two people by the campfire, the man approached his pregnant wife who was reclined against a tree. He rubbed her belly and smiled at her. I released my grip and lowered my eyes in resignation and moved forward on my mount. I couldn't steal from them. I miss Sky. I wonder how our baby is doing. Oh, Agni I left her alone with just Uncle to protector her from men less kind than me that could hurt them no matter if she was pregnant or not for food. I hope she isn't as hungry as me.

I rode across a field. I was almost asleep in the saddle. I tried to take a drink from my water skin. It was empty. The landscape was a grassy field strewn with huge, circular shaped stones with squares cut from the middle. Many were embedded in the earth.

My eyes had grown heavy, but I fought back asleep. My eyesight was blurry. I continued to fight back sleep, jerking myself awake a few times. I had a momentary vision of a beautiful woman with dark hair wearing barely visible Fire Nation clothing, but I woke with a start.

I soon see a village in the distance. I hope I have enough money to get more supplies. I rode into the village and saw several Earth Kingdom soldiers playing some type of game. One of the soldier's was shaking a pair of dice to through in front of them. "Come on, spider snake eyes..." one solider said. Three of the soldiers squatted on the ground at around the dice. Another, who seems to be their lead, stands behind them wearing a slightly different uniform than the others. The soldier in the middle is shaking the dice then through them and rolled two fives. The man with the different uniform scowled, as the roller had put his hands over his head in triumph. Soldier exclaimed, "Yeah!" His two compatriots that were squatting next to him began to hit him.

I rode up to a stall near the men. The soldier standing up; his eyes followed the sound of the arriving ostrich horse and he turned slightly towards me. I got off my mount and asked the merchant at a stall, "Could I get some water, a bag of feed, and something hot to eat?" I offered him a few coins once I finished. The merchant looked at my coins and said, "Not enough here for a hot meal. I can get you two bags of feed." I looked down in despair as the merchant went to get the feed, the gambling soldiers behind me were looking at me. The soldiers turned back to their game as I looked to the side of the stall at the sound of some laughter. A few kids peeked from around the corner of the stall.

A kid handed his friend an egg, who through it at the gambling soldiers. It hit a soldier on the head and the kids ran off. The soldiers got up and looked over and see me with my back to them. The street was otherwise empty. "Hey!" shouted the leader solider as he and his friends approached me from behind, "You throwing eggs at us, stranger?" I answered simply with, "No." The leader continued to question me, "You see who did throw it?" I answered again as I turned around to face them, "No." As I put my hand on my sword hilt. The leader looked side to side.

One of the other soldiers then asked, "That's your favourite word, no?" The leader then asked me, "Egg had to come from somewhere." I turned back to the stall and said, "Maybe a chicken flew over." One of the soldiers started to laugh but a look from their leader silenced him. The merchant then appeared and dropped my two bags of feed on the counter. The leader then swooped in and grabbed them and said, "Thanks for your contribution. The army appreciates your support." He then throughs them to one of his men. They began to leave but the leader stopped and turn towards me to say, "You better leave town. Penalty for staying is a lot steeper than you can afford, stranger... Trust me." He then taps the war hammers that were hanging from his belt. Then left with his men.

The merchant behind me began to speak as the group of men walked away, "Those soldiers are supposed to protect us from the fire nation, but they're just a bunch of thugs." I then began to walk back to my mount. As I reached my mount a bright-eyed boy appeared on the other side of the ostrich horse as I was about to hop up and said, "Thanks for not ratting me out." I ignored him, got on my mount and started to get back to my journey. The boy looked non-plussed, then a smile spread on his face and he followed me. The boy took hold of the ostrich horse's bridle and said, "I'll take you to my house and feed your ostrich horse for you. Come on, I owe you." The kid then lead me away from the village as I grabbed my grumbling tummy.

I had dismounted as we walked up a dirt road leading to a farm. A variety of pigs oink and made noise all around us. The noise picked up as we passed the animals. "No one can ever sneak up on us." The kid stated. I tutted and said, "No kidding." The kid then lead the ostrich horse to the farm. I stayed for a moment then I looker to my right only to be greeted by a brooster sheep stopped atop of a fence pole. It crowed at me. A man appeared in front of me in earth kingdom clothes and asked, "You a friend of Lee's?" The kid who I assume is Lee ran out of the barn near us and addressed the man who I assume is his father in an excited tone, "This guy just stood up to the soldiers! By the end, he practically had them running away."

A woman who I assume is Lee's mother goes to stand by her husband in a simple green dress and asked a friendly manner, "Does this guy have a name?" Oh no I can't say Lee but what another name could I use. Think Zuko, Think. "I'm, uh..." I stammered out. Lee's father interrupted my lack of thoughts by saying, "He doesn't have to say who he is if he doesn't want to, Sela. Anyone who can hold his own against those bully 'soldiers' is welcome here." The family look down, sad about something as the father wrapped his arms around his family and continued, "Those men should be ashamed to wear Kingdom uniforms." Sela then began to speak, "The real soldiers are off fighting the war, like Lee's big brother Sen Su. Supper's going to be ready soon. Would you like to stay?" I replied, "I can't. I should be moving on." Sela then spoke again, "Gansu could use some help on the barn. Why don't you two work for a while, and then we'll eat." I nodded my assent at Sela's suggestion.

Gansu and I were atop of the barn. We were nailing roof shingles to the frame. Behind me was Lee stood at the top of the ladder used to access the barn's roof. He watched his father and the nameless stranger i.e. me working. I was on my knees using both hands to hammer in a nail. "You don't seem like you're from around here." Lee stated. I replied with a, "Uh-uh." Lee then asked, "Where are you from then?" I replied with, "Far away." And mid hit Lee said, "Oh. Where're you going?" Before I could reply Gansu said, "Lee, give it a rest. Stop asking the man personal questions, got it?"

Lee sighed dejectedly and said, "Yes." Then brightly asked, "So, how did you get that scar?" Which caused me to slam the hammer into my thumb and stifle a cry of pain through my gritted teeth. "It's not nice to bother people about things they might not want to talk about. A man's past is his business." Gansu said. Once I had recovered, I started to hammer again but it brought I memory to mind.

Flashback

Still Zuko's POV

I was sitting by the turtle duck pond with my mum in the royal gardens. We were both wearing our royal Fire Nation clothes/robe. My mum had put out her hand with food for a baby turtle duck which squawked at it. It was fuzzy except where it was covered by its shell. It ate the offered food. I was perhaps ten or eight at the time. Three more baby turtle ducks swam up to us with their mother following behind. Holding a big stone in my hand I asked my mum, "Hey mom, want to see how Azula feeds turtle ducks?" I threw the rock at one of the baby turtle ducks, which disappeared beneath the surface of the water. And my mum, Ursa, asked shocked by my actions, "Zuko! Why would you do that?"

The baby turtle duck bobbed back up to the surface unhurt; his shell protected him from the rock. The baby blinked and shook his head as its mother swan next to it to make sure the baby is okay. Once sure of this, she swerved and attacked me loudly. She jumped out of the pond and bit my ankle causing me to yell out in pain. Mum removed the angry turtle duck and dropped her back into the pond. She swam away with one final squawk of protest with her babies in tow.

"Stupid turtle duck, why'd she do that?" I said as I hugged my knees and I looked sullen. My mother sat next to me again. Mum began to answer, "Zuko, that's what moms are like." putting her arms around me she continued, "If you mess with their babies," she paused and made a biting sound for effect as she pretended to bit me, "they'll bite you back." She hugs me as I laughed. Once we finished laughing, we went for a walk.2

Our walk was interrupted by Azula running over to us asking, "Mom, can you make Zuko play with us? We need equal teams to play a game." To which I emphatically replied, "I am not cartwheeling." Azula crossed her arms and said, "You won't have to. Cartwheeling's not a game," and under her breath said, "dumb dumb." I put my hands on the fence separating us and lend over it slightly to say, "I don't care. I don't want to play with you." Azula uncrossed her arms and said, "We are brother and sister." her voice then became sickly sweet when saying, "It's important for us to spend time together. Don't you think so, mom?" Mum answered her, "Yes darling," then began to address me, "I think it's a good idea to play with your sister. Go on now," she fluffed my head a few times, "just for a little while. I'll find Sky to come rescue you." Mum walked off, leaving me.

I sighed before joining Azula and her friends. Azula began to explain the game as she took an apple from a tree in the garden, "Here's the way it goes." I was standing by Ty Lee as Azula walked toward Mai who was stand a meter before us in front of the water fountain. Azula placed the apple on Mai's head before walking toward were I was standing and said, "Now what you do is try to knock the apple off the other person's head. Like this." She shot a blast of fire at the apple, on an unhappy Mai's head, setting the stem on fire. Mai's face changed to one of surprise and mine to panic/worry. I instantly sprung into to action to save the girl who I thought was in danger. Azula looked on smugly.

I stampeded over to Mai and jumped her to try and reach the flaming apple only to result in banging into to her, knocking the burning apple off her head, but also knocking us both into the fountain. "See, I told you it would work." Azula said to Ty Lee as Mai and I sat up in the fountain. Ty replied with, "Aw, they're so cute together." I got up and walked out of the fountain as Mai got up and said, "You two are such... ugh!" I started to make my way inside as my mother and Sky were stand ahead of me on the path and mum said, "I was just coming to get you. Uncle Iroh sent us a letter from the war front." As I passed them mum stated, "You're soaking wet." I continued walking and with a gesture of frustration said, "Girls are crazy!" Sky ran up to my side as I entered the building to get changed.

"I hope you don't really think that Zuko." Sky asked as we made our way to my room. "Why?" I asked. "Because then you would think your mum and I are crazy." She replied with a small shy giggle at the end. This made my anger melt away and smile. She always knew just what to say I thought to myself. We reached my room where I quickly entered and got changed with Sky waiting outside. Once I finished, I joined Sky. "Let go find out what is in Uncles Iroh letter." I said to sky as we began to walk away from my door. She nodded her head before saying, "Race ya," as she sprinted ahead. I then ran after her as she giggled ahead of me with infections laughter.

She won of course. She cheered in victory and giggled again which caused me to laugh as well. We went over to my mum and Azula who were already there and listened as she read the letter from Uncle Iroh. "If the city is as magnificent as its wall, Ba Sing Se must be something to behold. (cut to a younger Iroh sitting at a desk, flanked by two guards, writing the letter) I hope you all may see it someday, if we don't burn it to the ground first." This cause us all but Sky to laugh. Mum continued to read the letter as we stopped laughing, "Until then, enjoy these gifts. For Zuko," I ran up the towards a servant offering a dagger on a tray, "a pearl dagger from the general who surrendered when we broke through the outer wall. Note the inscription" At this I unsheathed the dagger, "and the superior craftsmanship." I read the inscription and said, "Never give up without a fight." Azula and Sky were in front of two other servant who were holding trays with items for them on it. Mum continued to read the letter, "And for Azula, a new friend. She wears the latest fashion for Earth Kingdom girls. And Sky a necklace, with an inscription saying Follow your heart." As mother spoke, Azula picked up a doll wearing Earth Kingdom green. She made a face of disgust while Sky picked up a white silk ribbon with a white polished shaped like a heart on it. She quickly ran to mum to have her help put it on her.

"If Uncle doesn't make it back from war, then dad would be next in line to be Fire Lord, wouldn't he?" Azula asked mum as I ran to a corner practice with my new dagger. Mum replied as she put the necklace on Sky in a disappointed tone, "Azula, we don't speak that way. It would be awful if Uncle Iroh didn't return. And besides, Fire Lord Azulon is a picture of health." I went to stand beside mum and Sky to ask Azula, "How would you like it if cousin Lu Ten wanted dad to die?" To which Azula replied with, "I still think our dad would make a much better Fire Lord than," she then looked at the doll with disdain while saying, "his royal tea loving kookiness." She held out the doll and made its head burst into flame. This sudden action scared Sky her to bury her head in my chest in fright. I just hugged her close to me.

End of Flashback

Still Zuko's POV

I was trying to get to sleep in their barn in a pile of hay. I couldn't sleep though. Not without Sky. Agni, I hope she and the baby are safe. I don't know what I'll do without her much longer. I was brought out of my thought by Lee stealing my broadswords. Once he had left, I opened my eyes to follow him. I followed him to a field of sunflowers where I watch him practice with them. Just as he was stabbing a tree and alternating hand I spoke, "You're holding them all wrong." This caused the boy to fall backward in surprise as I was speaking from behind him. Lee got up with a sunflower decorating his head, but it fell off as he stood. He looked ashamed and offered the swords back to me.

Instead of taking them, I put my hands over the boy's and said, "Keep in mind, these are dual swords." I took the swords and began to demonstrate moves for the boy then spoke again, "Two halves of a single weapon. Don't think of them as separate, because they're not. They're just two different parts of the same whole." I gave the swords back to Lee. The boy practiced a bit, then looked back to me. With my arms folded, I gave him an uncharacteristic smile. The boy laughed. I hope my child is as happy as he is.

We began to walk back up the path back to the farm. "I think you'd really like my brother Sen Su. He used to show me stuff like this all the time." Lee said to me as we walked back. I nodded my head in reply. Once I got back to where I was meant to sleep, I was fast asleep as soon as my head hit the hay.

Once I awoke from my slumber, I started to get ready to leave. I was getting on my mount. The family was there to see me off. Sela offers me a package and said, "Here. This ought to get you through a few meals." I was about to grab it, but a sound was heard in the distance. We looked up to see dust rising down the road. It was the solider from the day before riding towards us. Gansu asked upon see them, "What do you think they want?" I replied, "Trouble."

the family and I looked towards the soldiers riding towards us. The sheep pigs began to make noise as the approached. The stop just in front of us. "What do you want, Gow?" Gansu asked the lead soldier, Gow. Gow replied, "Just thought someone ought to tell you, your son's battalion got captured." Gansu expression turned to horror at this news as Gow continued to talk, "You boys hear what the Fire Nation did with their last group of Earth Kingdom prisoners?" One of his solider answered him, "Dressed them up in Fire Nation uniforms and put them on the frontline unarmed, way I heard it." He then spat before continuing, "Then they just watched."

This bit of information did for Gansu, and he snapped, "You watch your mouth!" and pointed his finger at Gow. Gow moved his ostrich horse forward, but I rode forward and blocked him. Gow did bot look happy and said after a few seconds, "Why bother rooting around in the mud with these pigs?" Gow his men turned and left. The dust swirled from the departure of the bullies. It brought back a relating memory to me. Lu Ten.

Flashback

Still Zuko's POV

Azula and I were running about the royal garden, laughing, play a game of tag when a servant approached Mum who sat by the pond. He gave her a scroll. She opened it and stood up. A tear rolled down her face. I approached her with Azula not far behind me when Mum said, "Iroh has lost his son. Your cousin Lu Ten did not survive the battle."

End of Flashback

Still Zuko's POV

I was looking to where Gow and his men had retreated, making sure they didn't return. Gansu and Sela behind me with Lee standing next to them. Lee asked, "What's going to happen to my brother?" Gansu replies by saying to Sela, "I'm going to the front. I'm going to find Sen Su and bring him back." Sela hugged her husband crying, then released him still crying and went back to their house.

Lee began to cry and ran to me and asked, "When my dad goes, will you stay?" I replied, "No. I need to move on. Here." I then offered him my dagger and said, "I want you to have this. Read the inscription." Lee took the dagger and unsheathed it. "'Made in the Earth Kingdom.'" Lee read. I looked at him from the corner of my eyes and said, "The other one." Lee then read out, "'Never give up without a fight.'" Before he had finished reading, I decided to take my leave. By the time he looked up, the sound of heavy footsteps was heard as I put my ostrich horse into a gallop. Lee ran after me for a few steps with a pig in tow.

Flashback

Still Zuko's POV

I was in a room in the palace, wielding the knife Uncle Iroh gave me. I faked death and fell over, with Azula seated on a chair behind me with Sky sitting on the floor beside her. "You waste all your time playing with knives. You're not even good." I got up with my cheeks flaming and said, "Put an apple on your head and we'll find out how good I am!" Azula got up and walked over to me leaving Sky still sitting on the floor by the chair and said, "By the way, Uncle's coming home." I was confused slightly by this and asked, "Does that mean ... we won the war?" Azula replied, "No. It mean's Uncle's a quitter and a loser." Azula then stated to walk away from me as I asked defensively, "What are you talking about? Uncle's not a quitter."

Azula stopped at a pillar and span around it saying, "Oh yes, he is. He found out his son died and he just fell apart." She leant against the pillar and continued, "A real general would stay and burn Ba Sing Se to the ground, not lose the battle and come home crying." Azula looked at me as she said the last bit. I Angrily reply said, "How do you know what he should do?" I looked down, sadly, "He's probably just sad his only kid is gone... forever." Mum then stood in the doorway and said, "Your father has requested an audience with Fire Lord Azulon. Best clothes. Hurry up." I ran to get ready with Sky but she stopped at Mum's side. Azula then mockingly said, "Fire Lord Azulon. Can't you just call him "Grandfather"? He's not exactly the powerful Fire Lord he used to be. Someone will probably end up talking his place soon."

Mum crossly said to Azula, with Sky by her side still, "Young lady! Not, another, word." Azula ran past them as she said, "What is wrong with that child?" She then followed me with Sky trailing behind her. I went to my room to get changed. Once changed I went to Sky's room. I knocked on the door. I heard someone call out come in, so I did. When I entered, I saw Sky dressed in a dress similar to mum's with mum tying the sash at the back of it. "Wow." I said in amazement at how pretty Sky looked. "I hope that 'wow' is a good thing." Mum said. I nodded my head dumbly as I stared at Sky. Sky blushed at my staring causing me to blush as well. She giggled. "Let's go. Fire Lord Azulon is expecting us soon and Sky is to sit next to him." Mum said. Of course, Sky would be sitting up next to him. He loves Sky, ever since she was brought home with us. Before I knew it, I was knelling with my parents and sister in front of Fire Lord Azulon and Sky

Fire Lord's throne room was a chamber filled with dark, ornate pillars holding up the roof. The centre aisle leading up to the dais is clear. The Fire Lord sat on his thrown up the dais with Sky, which is separated from the rest of the hall by a trench of fire. Father had been asking us questions. Father then asked me, "And how was it Great Grandfather Sozin managed to win the battle of Han Tui?" I tried to answer, "Great Grandfather won, because..." But I was struggling when Azula interrupted my stammer, "Because even though his army was outnumbered, he cleverly calculated his advantages. The enemy was downwind and there was a drought. Their defences burned to a crisp in minutes."

"Correct my dear. Now, won't you show Grandfather the new moves you demonstrated to me?" Father asked Azula. Azula stood and performed a series of firebending moves. Father face showed his stony countenance turned to a slight smile at his daughter's performance. I looked on, an uncertain expression on my face. "She's a true prodigy. Just like her Grandfather for whom she's named." Father said to Fire Lord Azulon. Azula sat back down next to me and whispering to me, "You'll never catch up." Stung, I got up and addressed the Fire Lord and Sky, "I'd like to demonstrate what I've been learning." Father's face turned rapidly to a frown. I tried to run through some of the same moves as Azula but with evidently less skill. After a few moments, I choked on the routine and fell on my backside. I recovered and finished the routine, failing, as mother looked on in concern. Azula looked on my failure with glee. Mum rushed over to me.

I dejectedly said, "I failed." Mum helped me up and said, "No, I loved watching you. That's who you are Zuko." I looked up at mum with wide eyes with tears as she continued, "Someone who keeps fighting even though it's hard."

Fire Lord Azulon then said in frustrated and angry to our family, "Prince Ozai, why are you wasting my time with this pomp? Though I enjoyed the time we spent together Lady Sky. Just tell me what you want." With a dismissive wave of him hand he said, "Everyone else go. Sky, stay." As we are about to exit the chamber, Azula grabbed me by the hand and took me behind some curtains. "What are you...?" I tried to ask as she pulled me. Azula just said, "Shh!"

We run behind the curtains and then peak out near where Ozai now addressed his father. "Father, you must have realized, as I have, that with Lu Ten gone Iroh's bloodline has ended. After his son's death, my brother abandoned the siege at Ba Sing Se, and who knows when he will return home?" Father stood up before continuing, "But I am here, father, and my children are alive. And one of who I hope to have marry Lady Sky there." Father said. "Say what it is you want." Fire Lord Azulon said. "Father, revoke Iroh's birth right. I am your humble servant, here to serve you and our nation. Use me." Father said in his usual emotionless voice. I caused Sky to glare at father. Father had begun to kneel while he was talking. Fire Lord Azulon leaned forward and pointer his at father when saying, "You dare suggest I betray Iroh? My first born?" Fire Lord Azulon dropped his hand but the fire in the trenches raised up into the frame from below it mirrored the Fire Lord's anger, "Directly after the demise of his only beloved son? I think Iroh has suffered enough. But you, your punishment has scarcely begun!" The flames rose even higher and became blinding. It scared me so I ran away leaving Azula behind to watch.

I was trying to get to sleep on my bed when my door opened and pulled me full to the real world. When I looked to who it was it was Azula who was leaning against the doorway. In a sing-song voice she said, "Dad's going to kill you." Then in a normal voice she said, "Really," turning to look at me with a leer she continued, "he is." I sarcastically replied, "Ha-ha, Azula. Nice try." Azula walked to touch my open door then bed post as she said, "Fine, don't believe me, but I heard everything. Grandfather said dad's punishment should fit his crime." She then imitated Fire Lord Azulon, "'You must know the pain of losing a first-born son, by sacrificing your own!'" At this point she had walked to the other side of my bed and lent on it as I got slight scared at what she had said. "Liar!" I stated to her. "I'm only telling you for your own good. I know, maybe you could find a nice Earth Kingdom family to adopt you." While she was speaking, she had come and sat on my bed. "Stop it, you're lying!" I said and I then held onto my blanket for security and tightly closed my eyes when I said, "Dad would never do that to me."

Then I heard my mum speak and open my I as she asked, "Your father would never do what to you?" She entered further into the room and continued to question, "What is going on here?" To which Azula innocently replied with, "I don't know." Mum grabbed Azula and said, "It's time for a talk." Then lead her out the room at I resume my previous position of holding my blanket and closing my eyes tightly. I then sort of chanted to myself, "Azula always lies... Azula always lies..."

End of flashback

Still Zuko's POV

"Azula always lies..." I said as I laid on some long grass with my eyes closed near a small river lost in memories. I was brought out of it by the sound of a wagon approaching and sat up to see that it was Sela and that she was distraught as she stopped the wagon near me. "You have to help. It's Lee." She said and then got off the wagon and was approaching as she continued, "The thugs from town came back as soon as Gansu left. When they ordered us to give them food, Lee pulled a knife on them. I don't even know where he got a knife! Then they took him away. They told me if he's old enough to fight, he's old enough to join the army. I know we barely know you, but..." She then began to cry. I stood and said without hesitation, "I'll get your son back." I had to do this as I would want someone to do this for Sky and our baby. It must be the father in me.

I began to ride back to the village on my mount. The sun was setting and it casted a golden hue over everything. I rood under a tall paifang gate. I could see that Lee was tied up to a post of what looked like the soldiers' watch tower. His head snapped up at the sound of me approaching. He smiled and said tugging against his ropes, "Hey! There he is! I told you he'd come." Gow and his men emerge from the shadows. Still silhouetted by the light from the sunset, I dismounted and took off my hat. I walked forward to face off Gow and his men. I then said in a threatening tone, "Let the kid go." Gow replied, laughing at first then said in an equally threatening tone, "Who do you think you are? Telling us what to do?" I stood still and said, "It doesn't matter who I am, but I know who you are. You're not soldiers. You're bullies. Freeloaders, abusing your power. Mostly over women and kids. You don't want Lee in your army. You're sick cowards messing with a family who's already lost one son to the war." After a few moments of silent face offing Gow said to one of his men, "Are you going to let this stranger stand there and insult you like this?"

The soldier to Gow's left brandished his spear and walked forward. I pulled back as the soldier lunged, then drew the handle of his swords right into the stomach of the charging thug. The soldier was knocked backwards but got up and ran off. Another solider ran at me with his spear, but I blocked and then brought him to the ground with a palm blow to the forehead. This thug got up and ran away as well. The last pawn charged me with his spear, but I broke it in half with a blow. The thug dropped the remains and ran. Lee laughed with delight. A crowd had gathered, Sela was among them. She was amazed at what she has seen.

Gow, made of sterner stuff than his men, drew his two war hammers and adopted to a bending stance. I in turn drew my broadswords. Gow slammed the ground with one hammer, raised a rock and hit it with the other hammer. It flies at me, but it shattered a hit with my blades. Gow repeated the move twice in rapid succession. I destroyed one rock but was hit in the gut by the other. I recovered and ran at Gow with my blades. I could hear an old man call out, "Give him a left! A left!" An old woman the told the old man, "It's not a fist fight." The old man replied, "He's got a left sword, don't he?" I continued rushing my opponents. I chopped several more rock but was again thrown backwards by one that got through. I staggered. I heard the old man from earlier shout, "Look out!" Then heard Lee shout, "Behind you!"

I was being steadily driven back by Gow. The thug leader alternated hammers as he smacked the ground, each time raising rocks and hurled them at me. Finally, with a mighty blow to the ground, Gow raised up a shock wave of earth and rock that travelled along the ground between him and me. A huge rock erupted from the ground as the shock wave neared me and striked me in the chest, throwing me to the ground. The crowd gasped as I fell in the dust, an expression of pain on my face.

Flashback

Still Zuko's POV

I was asleep in my bed but was woken. I asked sleepily, "Mom?" She pulled me to an upright sitting position, but I was still half asleep. "Zuko, please, my love, listen to me. Everything I've done," she said before continuing now hugging me, "I've done to protect you. Remember this, Zuko. No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are." Footsteps could be heard in the distance as she spoke. She let me go and walked down the dark hall out of his room.

End of flashback

Still Zuko's POV

I was laid out flat on the ground with my eyes closed. The dust from my fall was still settling. Gow approached. A still tied up Lee desperately whispered, "Get up." My eyes opened and I screamed in fury with my blades in hand. I span as I got up, firebending a circle of fire around me. Gow drew back, dropping his hammers. I fired a blast at Gow that hit him full in the stomach. The thug was shot back and fell to the ground. I had finished getting up. I was wreathed in fire and my expression was angry. Lee looked in surprise that his rescuer was one of his kingdoms' worst enemies. The Firenation.

Gow recovered and got back up. He assumed a bending stance. I charged him, sending many bolts of fire from my blade in Gow's direction who had built a rock wall of protection. One hit the wall destroying it and the thug which was thrown back into the wall of a nearby building. Part of it collapsed on him after he impacted. I walked towards him. Gow weakly asked, "Who, who are you?" I with confidence answered, "My name is Zuko. Son of Ursa and Fire Lord Ozai." I sheathed my swords before for saying, "Prince of the Fire Nation and heir to the throne." I looked towards the crowed. The crowd began to chatter. Lee still had a shocked expression. Old man who had previously being encouraging me pointed saying, "Liar! I heard of you. You're not a prince, you're an outcast! His own father burned and disowned him."

I turned away from the old man, ignoring the comment. Instead, I walked over to Gow, who cowered at my approach. I bent down and took the dagger back that the thug had apparently taken from Lee. I walked over to where Sela was untying Lee. After this is done, she moved in front of Lee as I approached, shielding him, she said, "Not a step closer."

(Kneeling down and I offered the dagger to Lee, who looked out from behind his mother. "It's yours. You should have it." I said to Lee. "No, I hate you!" he said as he turned and walked away with his mother. I was still kneeling behind them, still silhouetted by the sun. The crowd stood still behind me.

Flashback

Still Zuko's POV

I suddenly woke up. I got up out of bed and ran down the hall as I called for my mother. "Mom? Mom, mom!" I shouted in the first room I entered. Azula stepped out from a pillar. I asked her slightly panicked, "Where's mom?" Azula answered, "No one knows. Oh, and last night, Grandpa passed away." It was then that I noticed she had my knife. "Not funny, Azula. You're sick. And I want my knife back, now." I said as I walked towards her. I grabbed for the knife, but she dodged and held the knife out in front of her, taunting me while saying, "Who's going to make me? Mom?" I managed to grab the knife and run out of the room. I ran into the garden where father looked out over the pond. "Where is she?" I asked. He did not reply. I looked down in despair.

We were up on a ceremonial plaza somewhere in the palace. It was packed with people. My family were all dressed in white while everyone else in the crowd was in red clocks. Fire Sage spoke, "Azulon, Fire Lord to our nation for 23 years. You were our fearless leader in the battle of Gar Sai. Our matchless conqueror of the Hu Sin provinces. You were father of Iroh. Father of Ozai. Husband of Ila, now passed. Grandfather of Lu Ten, now passed. Grandfather of Zuko and Azula." The Fire Sage turned and approached Fire Lord Azulon's sarcophagus. He reached in and took the Fire Lord's diadem. Father walked forward. "We lay you to rest." The Fire Sage held the diadem above his head as two firebenders on the left and right lite fire to the sarcophagus. With the fire of the funeral pyre burning behind him, the Fire Sage crowns the new Fire Lord. "As was your dying wish, you are now succeeded by your second son." The sage said as he put the diadem on father's head, "Hail Fire Lord Ozai!" As father stood, we all kneeled before him. I had a look of fear on my face. Life as I knew it had changed forever.

End of flashback

Still Zuko's POV

I rode out of the village into the sunset with the villager lined up on either side of me, making sure I leave for good. Agni I miss Sky.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

622K 15.7K 20
Iroh takes in the Ba Sing Se's army general's daughter after the death of her father. She replaces the child he has lost. She is raised in the Fire N...
1M 29K 51
Arlington and her pet dog, Peanut, miraculously end up in the World of Avatar in search for her mother. Through her journey she meets a certain Ban...
29.9K 761 20
7 years after the war, Toph and Sokka finally reunite at Aang and Katara's wedding. They haven't seen each other in 2 years for reasons Toph put off...
38.3K 861 25
Katara is becoming Queen of the Southern Water Tribe and needs to find a husband so her father puts on a challenge for the princesses hand. Things ha...