The Serpent's Pass

Sky's POV

We were on the fairy going across the great lake. Iroh was standing on the ship's deck and looking out at the water. He then began to speak solemnly, "Who would have thought, after all these years, I'd return to the scene of my greatest military disgrace...as a tourist," as he said this last bit, he turned to Zuko, putting on a flowered straw hat and a wide grin.

Zuko grimly said looking out to, "Look around, we're not tourists, we're refugees." He then siped from wooden bowl with his potion of food in it, "Ugh!" He spited it out over railing, "I'm sick of eating rotten food, sleeping in the dirt... I'm tired of living like this." Zuko leaned on the rail despondently.

"You think you are sick of this food?" I asked before continuing to throw up over the rail as I have been doing since getting on the boat. Zuko rubbed my back in a circular motion in hopes of making it better. I guess He realised I had it worse.

"Aren't we all?" Suddenly someone asked. I turned to see that It was Jet. A stalk of prairie grass hung from his mouth as he adopted a sly grin. "My name's Jet, and these are my freedom fighters, Smellerbee, and Longshot." Jet introduced. Jet stepped out toward the rail; his companions followed behind him.

Smellerbee greeted, "Hey." While Longshot just nodded as a greeting. "Hello." Zuko greeted back looking at them before turning back to watching the water, still rubbing my back as I finish being sick.

Jet stepping closer said, "Here's the deal. I hear the Captain's eating like a king, while us refugees have to feed off his scraps. Doesn't seem fair, does it?"

"What sort of "king" is he eating like?" Iroh asked looking at jet with curiosity. "The fat, happy kind." Jet answered causing Iroh's mouth gapes open, drooling. "You want to help us "liberate" some food?" Jet asked Zuko as I wiped my mouth with a cloth, leaning into Zuko.

Zuko stared down into at the bowl of gruel, considering a moment, looking at me and my swollen belly before hurling it out over the rail. He turned to face Jet to say, "I'm in."

~This time skip is brought to you by 50 Avatars a day~

Still Sky's POV

We sat on the main deck as Jet passed out good food to the thankful passengers. Iroh, Zuko and I sat eating with Longshot and Smellerbee. "So, Smellerbee, that's an unusual name for a young man." Iroh said as I continuously tried to signal him to STOP SPEAKING. I was too late; I slapped my forehead in embarrassment for him.

Peeved Samllerbee stated, "Maybe it's because I'm not a man. I'm a girl!" She shot Iroh a look, raised and walked off. "Oh, now I see! It's a beautiful name for a lovely girl!" Iroh shouted after her.

Longshot quickly raised and followed, catching Smellerbee with a hand to her shoulder. He stepped in front of her, giving her a hard look. Smellerbee contrite and said, "I know. You're right. As long as I'm confident with who I am, it doesn't matter what other people think. Thanks Longshot." He nodded a stern approval.

We are joined by Jet, who calmly sat down with us. Jet eagerly said, "From what I heard, people eat like this every night in Ba Sing Se. I can't wait to set my eyes on that giant wall."

"It is a magnificent sight." Iroh said. "So you've been there before?" Jet asked. "Once, when I was a different man." Iroh said as he looked away with regret.

Jet glanced around before saying, "I've done some things in my past that I'm not proud of. But that's why I'm going to Ba Sing Se, for a new beginning. A second chance."

"That's very noble of you. I believe people can change their lives if they want to. I believe in second chances." Iroh stated as he shared a meaningful look with Zuko, while Jet studied them both. I just sat there stuffing my face. The food was soooo good and I was sooooo hungry.