The Flame (Avengers Fanfictio...

By AvengersPey

ORIGINALLY KNOWN AS HAWKEYE'S GIRL. Growing up in the limelight as Tony Stark's adopted little sister wasn't... More

News
1-The Start
2-The Captain
3-Backstory
4- The Start
5- Lies
6-Going to Hell
7-The Mistake
8-Life and Death
9-Rain Keeps Falling
10- High Slits and Blushes
11-He Hit Me (It Didn't Feel Like a Kiss)
12-Kill Bill Vol. One
13-Rhiannon
14-Bad Moon Rising
15-Ring of Fire
16-God Bless the Child
17-Walk On The Wild Side
18- Jackson
19- So This is Love
20- The Sound of Silence
21- Rose Hill, TN
22-Seven Wonders
23- Emmeline and the Devil
24-Hey God? It's Me
25-Runaway
Part 2: 26-Dancing With the Devil
27-Doves In The Wind
28-I Had Strings
29-Together
30-Huge Mistakes
31-The Other Woman
32-A Depressed State of Mind
33-Final Battle
34-The Aftermath
35-Is This What You Wanted
36-Runaway
37-No Good Deed (Goes Unpunished)
38-Lowlife
39-God Knows I Tried
39.5-Mine//Jolene
Part 3: 40-Civil War
41-Sokovia Accords
43-Family Feud
44-On The Run
45-All Night
46-Haunted
BTW
47-Loyalty
Part 4: 48-Infinity War
49-Wakanda Forever
50-Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust
51-hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have
52-breathin
53-Dream a Little Dream of Me
54-Heart of Glass
55-Cherry Bomb
56-You Are My Sunshine
57-You'll Be In My Heart
Prequel is up!
58-i love you
59-Lucky Ones
Part 5: 60-Endgame
61-Can You Feel the Love Tonight?
62-Blue
63-Landslide
64-Time in a Bottle
65-Tainted Love
66-Don't Stop Me Now
67-Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story
68-Silhouettes
69-Stuck in the Middle With You
70-Its Quiet Uptown
71-Hurt
72-Lay Me Down
73-Stayin Alive
74-Dear Theodosia
Part 6: 75-Arsonist's Lullabye
76-Timshel
77-A BOY IS A GUN*
78-Love song
79-From the Grave
80-How to disappear
81-Wolves
82-everything I wanted
83-Heartless
84-Power is Power
85-Bonfire
86-She
87-To Be So Lonely
Please Read!!
88-In a Week
Bonus: Cheating
Bonus: Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Bonus: Alternate Situations
The Playlist

42-A Huge Mess

5.1K 115 41
By AvengersPey

I walk into Bucky's apartment with Steve as he looks around, I tighten the mask around my lower part off face, keeping my face mostly hidden. Steve's the one that made me do it, just in case he wants me to escape. Little does he know, I'm not going to leave his side. It's disgustingly sweet and probably not the best idea, but I didn't care.

"It's quaint." I say, looking around, my voice muffled by the mask. Steve grabs a journal off the fridge, flicking through it. I stand next to him looking at over his shoulder.

"Heads up guys. German special forces are in the area." Sam says over the comm links.

"Understood." Steve says as I get the feeling someone's watching us. Steve and I both turn to see Bucky standing there, a little shocked to see us both. "You know me?" Steve asks his old friend. I take off my mask for a moment, not wanting to worry Bucky or make him feel uneasy.

"You're Steve. I read about you in a museum." Bucky says, his eyes going from me to Steve.

"They're in the perimeter." Sam says over the comms. Steve sets down the journal.

"I know you're nervous, you have plenty reason to be. They're lying." Steve tells his friend carefully.

"I wasn't in Vienna. I don't do that anymore." Bucky responds. I nod.

"They're entering the building." I look as Steve, lifting the mask up over my face once more.

"Well the people that think you did are coming here now. They aren't planning on taking you alive." Steve tells Bucky. Bucky looks to the window.

"That's smart. Good strategy." Bucky says.

"They're on the roof. I'm compromised." Bucky and I both look up. I strain my ears enough to hear people coming up the stairs.

"This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck." Steve says as I get ready for a fight.

"It always ends in a fight." Bucky says, fiddling with his gloves. He wasn't wrong. Not even in the slightest.

"Five seconds!"

"You pulled me from the river." Steve asks as Bucky takes off his glove, revealing his metal hand. "Why?"

"I don't know." Bucky says, looking at Steve. I prayed quickly, crossing myself.

"Three seconds."

"Steve." I say, warning the man beside me. He ignores me. I make note of it to bring up later. I crack my knuckles.

"Yes you do." He tells his friend.

"Breach! Breach!" Sam exclaims just as a flash grenade crashes through the window. Bucky kicks it towards Steve, who covers it with his shield. I use my telekinesis to send Bucky's table into the door as he covers himself and I with his mattress to block bullets. Two men come in through the windows and both of the boys take care of them. My hands light on fire as I grab the barrel of a gun of a man who burst in through the back door just as Bucky kicks him.

"Stop! You're going to kill someone!" Steve shouts, grabbing Bucky's arm. Bucky responds by flipping Steve over. I almost kill Bucky as he rams his metal hand into the floor by Steve's head, pulling something out of the floorboards.

"I'm not going to kill anyone." Bucky says as he pulls out a backpack, putting it on.

"Bucky, please let us help." I tell him, standing closer to him. He looks at me and throws his backpack out the window. A man comes in and begins fire bullets at us. Steve covers us with his shield. Bucky pushes Steve towards a new man that's coming in and pushes me back behind him. He makes his way to other man, his hand extending in front of him to block the bullets. I move past him as grab the man that's going to grab Bucky next, slamming him into the wall. Gunshots go off and I burn through the table just as Bucky moves past me to punch through the door. He slams the door into two men as I take care of the onslaught of armed men coming up the stairs. We work off each other as I use my flaming hands to burn the soldiers as they come up, pushing them down the stairs with a large fireball. I fly down as Bucky uses a hanging man to get further down the stairs. Steve jumps down beside me.

"Oh I'm so glad you decided to join us." I tease as I throw a man over the railing. I know Steve rolled his eyes as me as we make our way towards Bucky. He jumps down again as I grab onto the metal railing and swinging myself down. I kick a man in the face as I land. Bucky jumps down again and Steve looks at me.

"Go." He calls out and I nod, jumping off of the railing and flying down. He runs and jumps off a balcony, landing on a nearby roof. I fly after him.

"I'm with Barnes, Sam, help Steve!" I shout over the comms as I land near Barnes. I'm chasing after Barnes when he is tackled by a man in a cat...suit? The cat man extends his claws and mutter a few curse words as he and Bucky start to fight. I run and grab the man when he slams Bucky into an wall.

"Enough." I shout as the cat man swings around, swiping his very sharp claws at my face. It feels like razors swiping into my skin and I shout in pain. Bucky tackles him off of me as blood runs down my face, leaving my mask in ruins. I take it off, leaving it on the floor. I run and jump up, wrapping my thighs around the cat man's neck, squeezing tightly. He throws me off of him and starts to attack Barnes again until a helicopter firing bullets distracts him. Sam takes care of the helicopter and Bucky runs away, jumping off the building. Steve runs over and helps me up, his eyes widening when he sees the blood and the three claw slashes on my cheek. Regret is written all over his face.

"I'm fine. Get Barnes." I tell him and he nods, running off. I catch my breath before running and jumping off the building, flying off and following the noise of chaos. It leads me to a tunnel, carefully flying above the cars, flying past Steve and the cat dude and following Bucky, who is now on a motorcycle. I rip the cat man off of Bucky, tossing him to the road but he catches back up with us and manages to rip me out of the air and Bucky off of his bike. We both quickly get up just as Steve catches up to us, police cars and helicopters surrounding us. I'm breathing hard, cheek still bleeding as I glare at the man in the cat suit. War Machine lands near us, his hand blasters pointed at us.

"Stand down, now." He says through the suit and I let the flames disappear. Multiple guns are being pointed at us, but I still want to fight. Steve puts his shield up.

"Congratulations Cap and Pey. You're criminals." Rhodey has with utter disgust in his voice. Steve and I put our hands above our heads as cops grab Bucky and force him to his knees. Sam is getting escorted to us, his hands over his head too. The cat guy raises his hands as well. Men come around and put handcuffs on me as well as on Steve. The cat dude takes off his mask and reveals himself to be T'Challa, the son of the murdered king. I look at him, getting even more mad, but he looks guilty as he looks at my cheek.

"Your highness." Rhodey says through the suit, sounding very surprised. Paramedics patch up my cheek quickly with some bandages and stitches before we are all forced into a van. I am sitting beside Steve, T'Challa in front of us and Sam behind us. We are silent until Sam breaks it maybe an hour later.

"So you like cats?" Sam asks, to which Steve quickly reprimands him.

"Sam-"

"What? Dude shows up dressed like a cat and you don't want to know more?" Sam asks and I snort.

"Your suit, vibranium?" Steve asks and lift my hand to fix my bandages.

"The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for many generations. A mantle passed from warrior to warrior. And now because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of king. So I ask you, as both warrior and king, how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?" T'Challa asks, looking at Steve. We don't speak after that, but I hold Steve's hand until we forced to leave the van. Steve, Sam and I walk over to Sharon and a short man.

"What's going to happen?" Steve asks after glancing at Bucky.

"The same thing that ought to happen to you. Psychological evaluation and extradition." The short man responds.

"This is Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force commander." Sharon introduces him.

"What about a lawyer?" Steve asks and I catch T'Challa staring at my bandaged cheek.

"A lawyer, that's funny. See that their weapons are placed in lock up. We'll write you a receipt." Ross says as agents walk past us, holding our gear.

"I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that." Sam says, walking off to follow Ross and Sharon. Steve and I follow.

"You'll be provided with an office instead of a cell, but do me a favor and stay in it." Ross says to T'Challa.

"I don't intend on going anywhere." T'Challa responds. Natasha meets us and walks beside Steve and I.

"For the record, this is what making this worse looks like." She tells us. Steve doesn't even glance at her.

"He's alive." He simply responds, which makes me smile slightly. As we walk into the room, I can hear my brother's voice.

"Try not to break anything while we fix this." Natasha says, practically glaring at the three of us before walking off. Tony is walking towards us and he doesn't look happy.

"Consequences? You bet there'll be consequences. Obviously you can quote me on that because I just said it. Anything else? Thank you sir." Tony says before hanging up, his eyes on the three of us.

"Consequences?" Steve asks.

"Secretary Ross wants all three of you prosecuted. Had to give him something." Tony says, his eyes landing on me. He looks disgusted.

"Not getting that shield back, am I?" Steve asks, attempting to lighten the mood.

"Technically, it's the government's property. Wings too." Natasha says as she walks with Tony.

"That's cold." Sam says quietly to us.

"Warmer than jail!" Tony responds, which makes me sigh. Steve puts his hand on the small of my back.

"I don't think he or Rhodey have ever been this mad at me. Like ever." I say softly and Steve pats my back, both us going to the little meeting room in the middle of the room. I sit down at the table while he stands. It doesn't take long for my brother to walk in.

"Hey you want to see something cool? Pulled something from Dad's archives." Tony says as he walks in, holding up a black box. Steve sits down next to me, "FDR signed with these in 1941. Provided support to the Allies when they needed it most." Tony says as he sets down a case with old fashioned pens inside of it in front of Steve and I.

"Some would say it brought our country closer to war." Steve says, looking up at Tony.

"Steve, if not for these you wouldn't be here. I'm trying to-what do you call it-extend an olive branch here." Tony responds as he sits down as well.

"Is Pepper here?" Steve asks, looking around and I bite the inside of my cheek. I suppose their break up wasn't as well known as I thought it was.

"We're-kind of-well not kind of-" Tony struggles for the word.

"Pregnant?" Steve offers and Tony shakes his head.

"No, definitely not. We're on a break. It's nobodies fault." Tony responds.

"I'm so sorry, Tony. I didn't know." Steve responds and under the table, my hand finds his.

"A few years ago, I almost lost her so I trashed all my suits. Then we had to mop up Hydra and then Ultron-my fault. And then and then and then, I never stopped because the truth is I don't want to stop. I don't want to lose her so I thought the Accords would split the difference....In her defense, I'm a handful." Tony says, getting up and shoving his hands in his pockets, "Dad was a pain in the ass but Mom always made it work."

"You know I'm glad Howard got married. I only knew him when he was young and single." Steve didn't mean anything by what he said, but I knew how much Tony hated how much Howard spoke of Steve.

"Oh, you two know each other? He never mentioned that, maybe only a thousand times. God, I hated you. That's why I didn't want you two dating each other." Tony mutters.

"I don't mean to make things difficult." Steve says, looking at my brother.

"I know, because you're a very polite person."

"If I see a situation pointed south, I can't ignore it. Sometimes I wish I could."

"No you don't." Tony responds and Steve smiles.

"No I don't. Sometimes-"

"Sometimes I want to punch you in your perfect teeth, but I don't want to see that. We need you Cap, and you too Pey. So far nothing has happened that can't be undone so just sign." Tony says pleadingly, looking at the both of us, "We can have the last twenty four hours legit. Barnes can be transferred to an American psych center instead of prison." Steve picks up a pen and stands. I look at him confusedly.

"I'm not saying it's impossible, but there has to be safeguards."

"Sure. Once we put out the PR fire, those documents can be amended. We can file a motion to have Wanda reinstated-" Tony tells us as he sits down.

"Wanda? What happened?" I ask, looking at my brother.

"She confined to the compound currently. Vision is keeping her company." Tony says and my eyes widen.

"Oh God, Tony. Every time, every time I see-"

"It's a hundred acres with a swimming pool! It has a screening room there's worse ways to protect people." Tony says, not seeing how bad this is. I put my head in my hands

"Protection? Is that how you see this? It's internment!" Steve says. The tensions in the room are only getting higher and higher.

"She's not a US citizen. They don't grant visas to weapons of mass destruction!" Tony shouts at Steve.

"She's a kid!" Steve shouts back.

"Give me a break! I'm doing what has to be done to save us from something worse." Tony says and Steve nods.

"You keep telling yourself that." Steve says, setting the pen back down, "Hate to break up the set." Steve says before moving to leave.

"You know, that question you asked me before all this shit happened, Rogers? I take back my approval!" Tony shouts as Steve walks off, leaving my brother and I alone. I look at my brother, confused.

"You're not going to sign either, aren't you?" Tony asks me and I shake my head.

"You know I can't. Either way I'm signing my own warrant."

"Just be careful, sis. I don't want you hurt anymore than you already are." Tony responds, his eyes on me, "You can still get out of here. Go to the mansion upstate."

"I'm not running away again, Tony. I'm not going to hide and hope this all goes away." I retort, looking at him. His jaw clenches and he looks away from me.

"I hope you aren't just doing this because you think you love him."

"I do love him. There's only two things I'm sure of right now: one, I love that man and two, the Accords are a mistake."

-

Steve returns a while later with Sam while we watch Bucky's psych evaluation. Cameras are pointed at every single part of Bucky's cell, but we can't hear a damn thing because we are forced to stay in this little room.

"The receipt for your gear." Sharon says as she walks in, handing Sam a paper.

"Bird costume?" Sam asks, looking a little offended.

"I didn't write it. How's your cheek, firecracker?" Sharon asks me, using the childhood nickname she gave me. I chuckle, smiling at her.

"I'm definitely suing his royal highness." I respond and she smiles. Sharon looks around before hitting a button so we get footage of Bucky in his cell as well as audio. I wrap my hand around Steve's dog tags that hang from neck as I watch my worried boyfriend. He picks up Bucky's blurry picture.

"Why would the task force even release his photo?" Steve asks, tossing it back onto the table.

"Get the word out and involve as many eyes as we can?" Sharon responds.

"Right. Good way to flush a guy out of hiding, set off a bomb. Get your picture taken get seven billion people looking for the Winter Soldier." Steve says. It's obvious that he's onto something here.

"You're saying someone framed him to find him." Sharon retorts.

"Steve, we looked for the guys for two years and found nothing." Sam adds, all of us looking at the blonde man.

"We didn't bomb the UN. Turns a lot of heads."

"But that doesn't guarantee whoever framed would get him. It guarantees that that we would." Sharon says, a look of realization coming upon her face. Steve turns his head, looking at the TV screen.

"Yeah. " Steve responds. Suddenly the lights go out, emergency red lights start to flash. I stand, looking at the others in the room with me as I light my right hand on fire, giving us light.

"Sub level five. East wing." Sharon tells us and we nod before the three of us run off, my hair lighting on fire to give us more light as well. We make our way down as fast as we can. When we finally get there, bodies lay (hopefully just unconscious) all around. It's quiet.

"Help me. Help..." The psychiatrist whimpers, laying on the floor.

"Get up." Steve says and we make our way over, but I grab the man by his neck, lifting him up, pressing him against the wall.

"Who are you? What do you want?" Steve questions as I tighten my hand around his neck. The man smiles.

"To see an empire fall." He says simply as the sound of mechanical whirring and then a crash draws our attention elsewhere. I turn my head back to the man.

"Stay here." I purr in my sing song voice before dropping him and running slam my foot into Bucky's stomach. Bucky throws me off of him and into a wall just as Steve starts to fight him. Sam and I both come to at the same time, quickly getting up to rush after the psych. Well Sam does. I follow the sounds of violence to help get Bucky. I get there to see Tony and Bucky fighting. I mutter more curse words and run over, tackling Barnes to floor. He, once again, throws me. This time it's into a bunch of tables. Sharon and Natasha both start fighting him as well. Then T'Challa joins in just as I kept up. I fly after Barnes, rushing us the stairs to follow him.

"Barnes, I need you to calm down." I say in that sing song voice, but T'Challa jumps down and starting fight Barnes again, making my words useless. I attempt to help T'Challa take him down, but Barnes eludes us once again. I make my way outside, finding Sam.

"Please tell me you found him." I ask, out of breath. Sam shakes his head. I mutter a quick fuck before my phone goes off. I pull it out to see a text from Steve. I look up at Sam.

"Sam, go to the river. I'll be there in five with a car." I say quietly for him to hear before walking off with the rushing crowd. I toss my phone on ground, letting it break among the hundreds of feet.

-

I stand next to Sam, watching a very unconscious Bucky. We can hear helicopters overhead.

"Cap!" Sam calls out Bucky starts to come to. Steve jogs over as we walk further into the room.

"Steve?" Bucky asks softly as he tries to sit up better.

"Which Bucky am I talking to?" Steve asks as I cross my arms over my chest, hoping this doesn't go south.

"Your mom's name is Sarah. You used to wear newspapers in your shoes." Bucky says, chuckling lightly. Sam and I look at each other.

"Can't read that in a museum." Steve responds.

"Just like that we are supposed to be cool?" Sam asks, looking at Steve.

"What did I do?" Bucky asks.

"Enough."

"I knew this would happen. Whatever Hydra put inside of me is still there. All he had to do was say the damn words." Bucky mutters, his eyes going from Steve to me, his eyes focused on the dog tags around my neck.

"Who was he?" Steve questions.

"I don't know."

"People are dead. The bombing, the doctor did all of that just to get ten minutes with you. I need you to do better than "I don't know."." Steve tells Bucky and it's the first time he's been stern with him.

"He wanted to know about Siberia. Where I was kept. He wanted to know exactly where." Bucky says as he thinks a little harder.

"Why would he need to know that?" Steve asks, probing further.

"Because I'm not the only Winter Soldier. " Bucky says, looking at us. I throw my hands in the air.

"Fucking hell!" I exclaim loudly, drawing everyone's attention to me.

"Who are they?" Steve asks, leaning against the wall.

"The most elite dead squad. More kills than anyone else in Hydra history. And that was before the serum." Bucky explains.

"They all turn out like you?" Sam asks.

"Worse."

"The doctor, could he control them?" I ask Bucky, looking at him.

"Enough."

"He said he wanted to see an empire fall." Steve mentions.

"With these guys he can do it. They speak thirty languages, can hide in plain sight. Infiltrate, assassinate, destabilize. They can take a whole country down in one night and they'll never seen them coming." Bucky tells us. Sam and I walk over to Steve.

"This would've been a lot easier a week ago."  Sam says to us quietly.

"If we call Tony-" Steve says, but I shake my head.

"He won't help us, not now." I respond.

"Even if we did-" Steve gets cut off once again, this time by Sam.

"Who knows if the Accords will let him help."

"We're on our own." Steve says, looking at both of us.

"Maybe not. I know a guy." Sam says with a slight shrug.  Steve nods before looking at me.

"Sam, do you mind staying here with Bucky? I need to talk to Peyton." Steve says, looking at his friend. Sam knowingly smiles and nods before Steve leads me to the other side of the warehouse we have hidden in.

"What's this all about?" I ask softly, looking up at Steve. Steve sighs.

"Look, this isn't exactly how I wanted to ask you, okay? I had it all planned and I asked for your brother's permission, which I no longer have, but then all of this happened." Steve says with a dry chuckle, looking at me.

"Wait, what are you saying?" I ask, my heart thumping in my chest. Steve reaches into his pocket and pulls out a very old red velvet case, slowly sinking down to one knee. Tears well up in my eyes.

"Look, Peyton. This past year has been one of the best years of my life and I love you so much. I might not ever get to do this if I don't do it now, so will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?" Steve asks with a big  smile, opening the small box to reveal a very delicate ring. Tears run down my cheeks and I nod, extremely happy.

"Yes." I say through a sob and slips the ring onto my finger. He stands up and I kiss him hard, throwing my arms around his shoulder. Steve kisses me back, holding me close. We finally pull away and look at him, cupping his cheek.

"Look, if we are going to do this, get married and all that, let's do it now. We might be locked up forever, so I much rather do it while already being married to you." I tell him as he wipes away my tears, a smile on my face.

"Are you sure? You really want to get married? Now?" He asks, smiling. I nod and he kisses me again. I couldn't tell if I was going to regret this later or not. I hope I won't.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.5K 1.4K 17
holland stark, the brilliant yet rebellious younger sister of howard stark. taken from SSR by HYDRA after Steve is injected with the serum, she becom...
6.6K 225 9
Reader incorporated in The Avengers movie plotline as Clint's sister. Enjoy :)
5.3K 255 76
Stella is Tony Stark's little sister. She gets recruited by Shield and has to help he avengers and her brother. What happens when everything goes dow...
54.8K 1.1K 12
What if Tony Stark had a younger sister? What if she was just like him? The sarcasm, the intelligence, not taking anyone seriously, the need of atten...