Restricted Magic - Arc 2: The...

By Avaleon

The second arc to the story of Erin and her friends as they travel to another country to compete against othe... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19

Chapter 18

714 102 41
By Avaleon

"Would you like to tell me exactly what in the world you fools were thinking?!!"

Aunt Elsinore was smiling, but no one in the group was fooled. After looking around desperately for someone else to be the one to talk, Erin swallowed uncomfortably and cleared her throat, trying to explain.

"We- We were trying to protect the country..."

"Oh. That's great." Elsinore leaned forward, her smile never wavering. "And why, pray tell, did you not leave that to the army of this country? You know, the one's whose job it is to do that?!!"

Gerald grabbed Erin's hand in support. "It wasn't that simple. Sionelle had diverted the nation's armed forces to the capital with these terrorist attacks, and struck a weak point in my country's border. They would have never been able to get there in time to react."

"So instead you all decided to simply take on an army by yourselves..."

"I thought..." Erin ran her hand through her hair, hesitating. "I thought my father might be there, in which case no amount of soldiers would have been enough to help me."

"..." Elsinore's smile faded. "Can Erin and I be alone?"

Erin shook her head. "I explained to them everything on the way back. You can speak in front of them."

"You trust them?" Her voice was incredulous.

"Yes."

"Yeah, we don't get it either." Frederick butted in. "But don't worry, we've got her back."

"You want me to speak freely in front of them? Fine."

Elsinore's voice grew cold. "You're a fool, Erin. You could have ruined everything. We have spent YEARS planning this, you stupid girl! Years of preparation, since you were thirteen, all for our revenge. What have you suffered for all these years if not for the chance to strike at your father?!"

"I didn't..."

"You didn't think, that's what you didn't do. You revealed your powers in such a public way! What if he realizes how strong you are? We lose the advantage of surprise." She shook her head. "You risked everything for this country, that's not even your home."

"It's Gerald's home." Erin met her gaze without flinching.

"... Not that I'm not loving the family drama here. But why is surprise so important?" Frederick spread out his hands, looking confused. "I just saw Erin take down an ARMY. Without breaking a sweat. She has to be the most powerful person in the world. Why are you guys so scared of one man?"

Elsinore's gaze was haunted, as was Erin's. "You say that only because you have never seen that man in action. I will give you this warning once, because you are Erin's friend: NEVER underestimate him. He will kill you, and everyone you love, before you even knew he was there."

"He's level 5 in three different abilities, level 4 in two more." Erin spoke quietly, staring down at her hands. "But he also has years of experience, he's able to bring out his powers to the absolute limit. My only chance is to catch him by surprise."

"..." An uncomfortable silence fell on the group as they all considered the implications of those words.

Knock. Knock.

Everyone startled, looked up at the door, hands moving towards weapons. Shaking his head, Gerald cautiously opened it, smiling in recognition.

"Hi there."

Several servants stepped into the room, carrying platters of food. The one in front, a serious looking gentleman, bowed and said:

"We've brought some food for the St. Julienne's Academy team, as you missed the dinner in the main dining hall."

Gerald nodded. "Thank you, you can set it down there."

They did as instructed and as a group turned to leave. One, a younger woman, hesitated and looked at the group with a solemn look. "Even though you lost badly today, we're still cheering for you for the competition tomorrow." Glancing briefly at Gerald and blushing, she then turned and left the room.

"Looks you have a fan." Frederick teased, sitting down and grabbing a plate of food.

Gerald shrugged. "She's free to cheer for our team if she wants."

"That's not what i..." Frederick was interrupted by Olivia, who stretched her hand out, shaking her head.

"Don't bother. His brain is too occupied with Erin to understand teasing."

"Takes all the fun out of it!"

"Tell me about it."

The group settled down, grabbing food and starting to eat.

"By the way, when that girl said we 'lost badly' today...?" Erin paused in her meal, thinking. "Didn't they just forfeit us when we didn't show up?"

Elsinore shrugged. "Unlike some people, I considered the implications of your team not showing up to the competition. Especially important when I know now that you were off fighting a war..." She sighed loudly. "I figured you all were up to something though, and I didn't want someone realizing that your team was gone at the same time and putting two and two together."

Gerald winced, pausing as he reached for piece of bread. "Good point."

"Yeah, didn't think of that, when you were off chasing your foolish girlfriend, did you, boy?" Elsinore snorted. "So I created an illusion of your team hiding in the woods the entire competition. When they couldn't avoid a fight, I made them surrender. You got last place, but at least most people shouldn't realize the truth."

Erin hung her head. "Thanks."

"What are aunts for?"

Frederick raised his hand. "Can I adopt you as my aunt? You seem like a cool, powerful person to have around."

Elsinore lifted an eyebrow. "I don't remember having a sarcastic little asshole like you as a nephew."

"Don't lie, you love me!"

Elsinore rolled her eyes and sighed to the heavens. "...Anyways... interestingly enough, Gerald's performance in tomorrow's individual magic fight competition will determine whether or not we win."

Erin was shocked. "Really? We still have a chance?"

"The scores are currently us and the Sionelle military academy tied at 7 points, Royal academy at 6 points, and Merion at 4."

Matthias spoke up, still staring down at his plate, his quiet voice surprising the room. He typically stayed silent in the background. "Why is Gerald the one participating?"

Frederick nodded. "Yeah! I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with the pasty stalker! Erin can take down a freaking army! I think she's the best choice to fight the military academy guys."

"Thanks guys." Erin grinned, setting down the half eaten sandwich and lifting a silver amulet from around her neck. "But I'm back to being restricted, and even if I've improved in magical combat, I'd rather not stand out too much in front of my father abilities-wise."

"Fair, but what about..."

CRASH!

The room went silent. Gerald, his face pale, had stood up, and shoved all of the plates off the table shattering them on the floor.

"Don't eat anymore!" He looked around, his eyes panicked, grabbing the food from the plate on Erin's lap and throwing it at well.

"Gerald... what?"

"It's poisoned." He whispered his response, but it was as if he had shouted it into the stunned silence.

"How...?"

"Everyone's abilities are now at level one." He shook his head, angry. "I should have known sooner."

Olivia winced, dumping her plate from her lap. "Is there a poison that can even do that?"

"It's rare." Gerald's eyes were angry. "The Royal family has access to it." He started moving towards the door.

"Where are you going?"

"To talk to the servants who delivered the food." Gerald kept walking. "and track down the source of all this."

Frederick followed. "I'm coming too."

"I don't need you."

"Yes you do. You're much too nice."

With that, the two boys disappeared out of the room, leaving the group to stare at each other in stunned silence.

They returned after a few hours, their faces grim.

Gerald sat next to Erin, leaning forward and holding his head in his hands with a sigh.

"Richard."

"I know, shocking right?" Frederick sank into a chair as well, clearly exhausted. "The evil traitor younger brother was behind it. Who would have guessed."

"We should have denounced him as a traitor as soon as we returned." Erin gently rubbed Gerald's back, looking at him with a concerned expression.

"I thought about it, but I was hoping to have proof before going to my parents..." Gerald shook his head sadly. "Fortunately, he was getting desperate with this one. He sent poisoned food to both us and the Sionelle Military Academy team."

"Did they...?"

"They didn't touch it." Frederick laughed ruefully. "Apparently they've only eaten their own rations since they've been here. Suspicious bastards."

"Wish we'd been less trusting." Erin looked over at Frederick, curious. "So he was desperate?"

"Yeah, he bribed the servants into bringing the food he had poisoned to us. Didn't cover his tracks well at all." He snorted. "Apparently didn't even consider the fact that servants might betray him, despite taking the money."

"How'd you get them to talk?"

Gerald's face turned pale. "Don't ask."

Frederick laughed softly, but didn't comment further.

"So, Richard has been caught?"

"Caught and punished, the whole Royal Academy team is disqualified."

"Are they going to cancel or delay the final event?" Olivia's voice was hopeful, but her smile quickly fell off as Gerald shook his head.

"The ships leave the day after tomorrow. The poison lasts for 24 hrs. There's just no time."

"So... the military academy wins then? Even if the Merion Academy beats them, they don't have enough points to win the whole competition!"

"But... weren't they involved in the whole invading the country thing?" Erin shook her head in disbelief.

Gerald looked angry. "Even with our testimonies and those of the men from the fort that Olivia saved, the incoming troops never identified themselves as Sionelle soldiers, and were not wearing their country's uniforms. Their diplomat is insisting that those invading troops were unrelated mercenaries. Besides," He gave a half-hearted grin. "Even if we could prove it was Sionelle that invaded, it doesn't mean the military academy was involved."

"So they win?"

"I'm afraid so..."

A solemn silence settled over the room.

"Wait!" Matthias stood up suddenly, a strange expression on his face. "This poison temporarily drops your level to level one, correct?"

Gerald nodded. "Yes."

"What about people who were already restricted before they took it?"

"..."

Frederick's eyes widened. "Ice boy might have a point!" He turned to Erin. "Take off your amulet!"

Nodding thoughtfully, Erin slipped the amulet off her neck, dropping it onto the table.

"..."

Gerald grinned. "You're at level 3 now."

"Level 3?" Erin looked over at Elsinore. "Think it will be enough?"

"Hmph! They think they poisoning us is enough to keep us down?"

Elsinore's grin was vicious.

"Tear them apart, Erin."

The next morning, Erin stood out by the arena floor, nervously waiting for her fight to start. Frederick and Gerald stood on either side of her, keeping an eye out to make sure no one else interfered prior to the actual event.

"Well, it's official. Merion Academy bowed out of the fight." Gerald placed a hesitant arm around Erin's shoulders, trying to comfort her.

"What? Why?"

"No matter if they won or not, they couldn't score higher than either our team or the military academy. So this competition is only going to consist of one fight."

"At least that's simple enough." Erin looked up just in time to see the military academy students file in on their side of the Arena, followed by her father. One of the students stepped forward, stretching, obviously preparing to be her opponent in the fight. Recognizing him, Erin groaned.

"What's wrong?"

"It's Walter."

Frederick raised an eyebrow. "Who?"

"He's a military academy student. One of my father's prodigies. We've fought before... it didn't end so well for me."

"I hate to keep bringing this up, but once again... didn't you just defeat an entire army?" Frederick chuckled. "Why is one student such a big deal?"

"My abilities are restricted, remember? Plus he's very powerful, at least a level 4 water, wind and physical enhancement ability, plus a mental reinforcement variant that allows him to ignore pain."

Gerald looked over at Frederick with a quizzical expression. "Besides, when you faced him in the physical competition, you surrendered immediately!"

Frederick rolled his eyes. "It was obviously a strategy."

"To do what? Obviously not to win."

"To live." Thinking about this, he patted Erin on the shoulder. "Good luck."

With that, both contestants were called to the center of the ring. Walter recognized her with a smile. The expression was excited, predatory. He remained silent, as he always had in front of her.

Erin restrained her fear, pushing away the memory of her ribs cracking underneath his attacks and watched him carefully. Slowly, the world around them faded, as she focused not on the crowds, not the competition, but the fight in front of her. Previously, he had been fast, strong, and never hesitated no matter what damage she inflicted on him. Standing before her dangerous opponent, Erin smiled.

She was going to win.

She kept the memory of their previous fight carefully in the back of her mind. Remembering the pain, the anger, the frustration. Her father's smile as he told her that she was useless except to be engaged to the man of his choosing. A rage slowly built within her, but she kept it beneath the surface, controlled. It was going to be her tool, her secret weapon.

The official stood between them, laying out the rules. All magic allowed. No lethal attacks. Waving his hand, the fight was begun.

The two circled around each other carefully, watching each movement. She remembered his ruthlessness in his attacks last time, how his expression never wavered no matter how much she hurt him, and her smile grew cold.

Walter lost patience first.

Activating physical enhancement and wind spells, he crossed the distance between them in an instant. He reached out, intending to grab her arm, to twist it behind her as he had last time.

But Erin was ready. Instead of ducking below, she moved forward, activating her own magic to try match his speed. Jumping over his outstretched arm, she kicked him in the face with all her might. She felt his nose crumple beneath her boot, his whole body thrown to the ground with the force of her blow.

Walter stood up, blood streaming from his nostrils, but for the first time since Erin met him, he wasn't smiling.

His eyes were wide, panicked, as a hand reached up to cup his nose. He stared at the blood incredulously, as if confused.

Erin didn't take the lapse in attention for granted. She set herself on fire, leaning forward to tackle him as she increased the flames intensity to the extent of her restrained magic. His skin blistered beneath her burning hands, and he threw himself backwards, coating himself with water with a shriek of pain.

The earth beneath him cracked with her magic, and already off balance, he tripped, falling to the ground. Before he could recover, Erin leapt forward, landing with a crunch on his left ankle. He screamed with pain, reaching for her, but before he could, wind magic sealed his lungs. She grasped him with a burning hand, seeing the pain and fear in his eyes, and said one word:

"Yield."

"..." He hesitated, stubborn, but the magical flames licked at his skin, charring it, and finally he could stand it no longer. He nodded silently, and tapped out.

Hatred filled his eyes, but Erin simply smiled and walked away, nodding to the cheers of the crowd that filled the arena.

In the end, despite his power, it had been all too easy to defeat him. After all, he relied on the strength of his variant mental reinforcement magic, his inability to feel pain.

And feeding her powers with her rage, she had used illusion magic to trick his mind into remembering just what pain felt like.

After that, he never stood a chance.

She grinned at the crowd, raising her hand in a victorious gesture and looked around. Gerald and Frederick were high fiving eachother, looking pleased. Olivia and Matthias were jumping up and down, screaming excitedly. Even Catherine and Maddie were there cheering her on, their own voices contributing to the din. But all the noise, all the excitement, faded into nothing as she looked across the arena at an all too familiar face who was quietly studying her.

Her father.

He didn't look angry, despite the defeat of his prodigy. Didn't look confused, upset, or even disappointed.

He was smiling.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

654 18 20
This story talks about a mysterious world who appeared out of nowhere and no one knows about it. Now a group of friends are dragged into it, without...
541 160 56
An ordinary high school girl from the modern world one day wakes up in a different world full of wizards,sorcerers, a land of magic and there she fac...
1 0 1
A group of rebels get lost in twisting magical adventures.
22.5K 3.1K 200
Goldmi and Gjaki meet, but danger looms. The story continues.