Restricted Magic - Arc 2: The...

Per Avaleon

The second arc to the story of Erin and her friends as they travel to another country to compete against othe... Més

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19

Chapter 1

1.5K 129 60
Per Avaleon

"I hate school assemblies."

Erin grumbled as she stood in the auditorium with the other students, waiting.

"Aww, don't worry, I'm sure this one will go better than the last one." Gerald reached out and grasped her hand in his own as he spoke. Erin glanced down, raising an eyebrow at the familiar contact before deciding she was okay with it.

Olivia stepped forward with a loud sigh. "The last assembly they accused Erin of being an ability thief."

"Exactly." He grinned. "This one should go much smoother."

Erin shook her head before turning her worried gaze to the stage, yawning. Things had just calmed down over the last few months since the incident with the former headmistress. It had been harder for her to recover than she thought it would be. Not physically... most of her internal wounds had healed up after a few days with Olivia's near constant application of healing magic. There wasn't even a scar left as a reminder of the incident. It was like nothing had ever happened.

On the outside, at least.

Erin didn't regret her actions that day. Belanna was crazy, she would have killed Erin and her friends if given the chance. She had hurt countless people, not to mention standing by watching her mother be murdered with a smile. Erin felt sure she had done the right thing. But that didn't stop the memory of the fight from coming back to her at random moments. The sensation of the other woman's throat in her crushing grip. The hatred in her eyes before the light faded from them. The last breath mixed with blood that slowly blew out, never to be repeated.

Erin had nightmares, most nights. They kept her tossing and turning until even the thought of sleep frustrated her to no end. She felt exhausted, angry, and overwhelmed. Having just gotten through a huge ordeal together, she hadn't wanted to burden the others with her problems, and so she tried to best to act normal. Overall, She thought she had hid it fairly well, but noticed that Olivia and Gerald had been keeping a worried eye on her lately.

Gerald squeezed her hand. "You sleep okay last night?" He was still smiling, but it didn't mask the concern in his eyes.

"...Fine." Erin looked away.

"Well, if you need to talk..."

"I don't need to talk."

He ignored her interruption, continuing. "...We're here for you."

She considered his words, unsure of how to respond. In the end she just gripped his hand tightly, welcoming the warmth from the contact.

His grin widened at her action. "So... I was thinking next year after graduation."

"For what?"

"For our wedding. Speaking of which, I've already met your family..." He coughed uncomfortably. "Well, the ones that matter, anyways, but you haven't met mine yet!"

"When did I agree to marry you?"

"Just in case you do agree, wouldn't it be more convenient if you had already met my parents?" His grin was slightly mischievous. "How about it? We can have a romantic trip to the Ellurine Alliance, meet my family, take a boating tour, and be back before midterm exams!"

She shook her head. "I just can't imagine what goes on in that head of yours."

"I'll mark that down as a 'maybe.' Just let me know a good date for you and I'll work on arranging transportation."

Olivia broke in with a frown. "You can't her on a trip to your country alone, that's improper!"

"Well, I don't want to tarnish her reputation..." Gerald thought it over carefully, "Do you want to come along?"

"Of course! I'll bring my brother Matthias."

"..." There were a few moments of shocked silence.

"You support this stupid trip?!" Erin blinked a few times, processing the other girl's words. "Wait... Did you say your brother?! Is he better?"

Olivia smiled. "The restriction artifact you gave me worked like a charm on him. He enrolled to the school yesterday, and will start classes next week."

"Will he be in our class?"

"No, technically in the year under us. He was able to keep up somewhat on magical theory with home study, but he needs more experience controlling his magical abilities." She paused, then reached out and hugged Erin closely. "I can't thank you enough for what you did... especially after I..."

"Shush. We're friends." She hugged her back. "That's what matters."

"I hate to break up this wonderful moment," Gerald interrupted, tapping their shoulders to get their attention. "But the assembly is starting."

They looked up to see an older man slowly and painfully make his way up to the stage. He stopped after climbing the three short steps, apparently trying to catch his breath, before stepping to the podium at the center of the stage with a pitiful smile.

Erin leaned closer to Gerald. "Who's that?"

"The new headmaster, Professor Wiltheim." He whispered back.

"Really? He looks so... so..."

"Frail? Yeah, I think after the incident with Lady Belanna, the school administration wanted a headmaster who couldn't be accused of attacking students."

Erin grinned. "Yeah, I don't think he could fight off a kitten, much less attack anyone."

"Everyone, please listen." The older man cleared his throat, using wind magic to project his voice to every corner of the room easily.

"Level 4 wind magic, not bad." Gerald whistled softly.

"Prince Gerald, I may be old, but I'm not deaf. Please refrain from talking during the remainder of my speech." Professor Wiltheim glared at the young offender, who responded with a cheerfully silent bow of apology.

"Ahem. Anyways, for those of you who do not know me, I am your new headmaster, Professor Wiltheim. Now I know that recent..." he grimaced, "...unfortunate events may have eroded some of the trust you students have in the school, but I will assure you under my leadership, you will be kept safe and sound."

He looked around the room as if to identify anyone who would dare disagree with his statement before smiling broadly and continuing. "Now, onto the true purpose of this meeting, the discussion of the International Academy Magic Competition."

At these words excited chatter burst out across the room. Erin, Gerald and Olivia simply glanced uneasily at each other before looking back to the podium.

"Now this prestigious competition comes about every 5 years, and is the chance for students to represent their academy and their nation in a series of challenges that will test both their theoretical knowledge as well as the practical application of magic."

Professor Wiltheim paused, assessing the room's excitement with a pleased expression. He waved a hand, and 5 seats were picked up and brought to the stage with wind magic.

"St. Julienne's Academy will select 5 of our most talented students to represent us. These students need both the magical talent as well as theoretical knowledge to shine on the international stage. As I announce your name, please come forward and have a seat here on stage."

The excited noise of the room grew louder. Erin raised an eyebrow as she took in all the expectant faces. Was this really such a big deal?

"First, our student council president Frederick de Rochester, with Earth and fire abilities at level 4, and physical reinforcement of level 2. He also ranks fourth place in magical theory."

There was a smattering of polite applause as the smirking boy raised his hands in a triumphant gesture before marching up to the stage to sit down on the first chair.

"Second, Prince Geraldo de Riciancia of the Ellurine Alliance. With astounding abilities including level 5 Insight, level 4 water and earth as well as level 2 healing, he is considered a strong competitor despite his poor magical theory scores."

"Just what score did you get on the last test, Gerald?" Erin whispered in his ear as he prepared to move forward.

He grinned, somehow able to hear her over the loud cheers of the room. "A lot better than what I would have gotten if you hadn't been tutoring me!"

With that, he hopped onto the stage, taking a bow before the enthusiastic crowd of students. When he sat down next to Frederick, the other boy attempted to scoot his chair further away, only to have it be pushed back into place by the headmaster's wind magic.

"Learn to get along boys."

Professor warned them with a gentle smile before turning back to the crowd. "Our third representative will be Olivia de Pelletier. She is the second highest scorer in the magical theory section, as well as her abilities which include level 4 healing and level 2 wind ability."

Again, enthusiastic cheering met the smaller girl as she made her way up the stage. Both she and Gerald had cheerful, friendly personalities, and were well liked by the majority of students.

"The fourth student representative is a bit... unusual. He has just joined this academy, in fact, he recently just completed his entrance testing. However, he matched the scores of our top student in magical theory on his entry exam, as well as has incredible natural abilities. He has a variant ability, freezing at a level 4 capacitance, as well as a level 3 physical reinforcement."

These words were met with absolute silence for a few moments until the meaning fully sunk in before the room exploded into unrestrained chatter.

"Quiet everyone! We're almost done!" The headmaster clapped his hands and immediately the students found whether they wanted to or not, no noise could be made in the room. Satisfied at the forced silence, he continued. "I will welcome our newest student, and fourth representative Matthias de Pelletier up to the stage."

A tall, frail appearing boy moved through the crowd, his skin and hair an unnatural pale shade. He moved to the fourth chair, smiling at Olivia who jumped up to hug him before turning to the room with a bow. When he looked up Erin saw that he had a delicate face similar to his sister's with the difference of bright blue eyes that seemed to look straight through her. For a moment she thought he was staring directly at her, but before she could get too uncomfortable, the sensation passed.

"Finally, the fifth and final representative, is our most talented student. She will be our team captain, and help lead our academy to victory."

The headmaster grinned. "With eight abilities at level 3 and 4, as well as being the top ranked student in magical theory, one can hardly argue that Éirinne de Roderick is unworthy of this prestigious position." He clapped a few times, "Impressive, truly."

The room was silent.

Erin stood up, walking slowly towards the stage. The weight of the stares of every student in the room hung heavily on her. No one clapped, no one cheered, they only stared silently, as if in shock. Finally someone spoke.

"The Worthless Princess? Seriously?"

Those words seemingly broke the restrictions on the other students, who then began to complain loudly as well.

"This is a joke!"

"It must be rigged!"

"Who HASN'T beaten her in a duel?! She's an embarrassment!"

Gerald stood up at the mocking comments, his fists clenched, but Erin put a hand on his shoulder, shaking her head slowly. He resisted for a moment, his face set in a stubborn expression, but finally he sat back down with a sigh. It didn't surprise her that they had this reaction. Besides a single fight with Wilhemina she had not broadcasted her newly regained abilities, and she was sure that girl was too embarrassed to...

"Éirinne de Roderick! I challenge you to a match!" A familiar voice shouted out angrily.

...Seriously?

Erin turned around slowly, sighing loudly. Before her stood a petite girl with an enraged atmosphere, her face red and her hands in fists at her sides. She tugged off her sash with quick jerk and tossed it over to Erin who caught it with a confused expression.

"Didn't she already beat you into the ground though?"

In the moment of silence, Olivia's bright cheerful voice broke through with a vicious question.

WIlhemina's face turned even redder. "She cheated! I don't know what happened during that match, but it doesn't count."

"What happened was she knocked you out within the first few seconds of the match, that's why you don't remember." Gerald smirked and turned towards Erin. "You should probably take it slower, so she can remember how badly she's beaten next time.

Erin shrugged. "Too much trouble."

Glancing at the new headmaster who stood to the side with a smile, seemingly having no intention to interfere, she pulled off her own sash and handed both over to the older man.

"Headmaster, will you do the honors of counting off the match?"

"Gladly, child." With a chuckle he grasped the sashes and lifted them into the air.

"Once I beat you, you better step down and give me your position on the team to me!" Wilhemina threatened as she changed her position to a fighting stance. Erin, on the other hand, stood there with a relaxed posture, appearing bored and unconcerned.

"Sure, whatever you say."

"On my count...." Professor Wiltheim spoke loudly the frail hand holding the sashes trembling as if having difficulty supporting the light weight in the air. "One...two...three... Begin!"

BAM!

Less than a second had passed since the word "begin" had been heard. The students had seen/sensed a blur of motion in the room, but uncertain of what had happened, looked around in confusion. There, in the center of the room, stood Erin, with a bored expression, the unconscious form of Wilhemina crumpled on the floor at her feet.

"..."

There was shocked silence.

"The winner is... Erin." The headmaster announced with a smile.

Erin looked back at him. "Is there anything else to this assembly, or can I leave now?"

"Feel free to leave anytime."

With that, she walked out of the building, the silence of her peers still ringing in her ears.

"Erin!" Erin turned around at the cheerful calling of her name.

"What's up Gerald?" She looked at him, feeling inexplicably better at the sight of his happy expression. "I was just heading back to the dorm."

"You missed the best part of the information about the competition!" He answered with a mischievous grin.

"What is that?"

"The location."

Erin rolled her eyes. "Why would I care about where this competition is?"

Gerald grabbed her hand, gently swinging their arms as they walked forward. "Let's just say my dream of introducing you to my parents soon just came true."

"... The Ellurine Alliance?"

"Yep, We're going to my hometown!" He glanced at her. "How do you want me to introduce you?" His eyes were hopeful. "Future wife? Fiance? The woman I will marry?"

"Those are all the same thing, and no." She paused, glancing at him with a slight smile as he pouted.

"... How about as your girlfriend?"

"..." Gerald stopped in his tracks, staring at her openmouthed. "... W-what... Did.... Did you just...Did you really say...?"

Erin decided to tease him, pretending to frown and pulling her hand away. "You don't want to? My mistake then!"

"What!" Horrified, he grasped her hand again, falling to a knee. "No! For goodness sakes, Erin, you can't just drop that kind of fortune on me and expect me to retain logical thought!" He looked up at her with a hopeful smile. "You mean it?"

She squeezed his hand with her own. "Yeah. I mean it."

"Amazing!" He jumped up, wrapping Erin into a huge hug while spinning her around. "Let's go celebrate!"

"Sure, where do you..."

"... Éirinne de Roderick?" A stern voice interrupted their conversation. Looking over, Erin saw a tall, sour-faced man in formal dark clothes who looked vaguely familiar.

"Can I help you?" Erin's face lost its happy glow, quickly replaced by the cold mask she showed most other people.

"I am here to inform you that he is expecting you at the military office at your earliest convenience."

Gerald stepped forward, annoyed, even as Erin shrunk back, her face pale as she recognized the man, and whom he worked for. "What's going on? Who is expecting you?"

The man and Erin answered the second question at the same time.

" General Roderick"

"...My father."

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

268 14 25
Two kingdoms and two unlikely allies are thrown into an upcoming war and need to rely on each other in this forced proximity romantasy. There are unr...
Sage Per Alice

Fanfiction

167 3 27
A young girl who wants to save the world from her old best friend from middle school who turned evil after he was gone for three days. Will she save...
541 160 56
An ordinary high school girl from the modern world one day wakes up in a different world full of wizards,sorcerers, a land of magic and there she fac...
9 0 2
A group of college students finds a portal to an alternate universe where everything is magic! They learn about the alternate version of their colleg...