The Hunters

Av Dionne_Hill

My weapon clatters to the ground. Diving behind the nearest tree, I scan the floor in search of a weapon. A b... Mer

Author's note
Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 part 1
Chapter 13 part 2
Chapter 14 part 1
Chapter 14 part 2
Chapter 14 part 3
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
important
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 part 1
Chapter 18 part 2
Chapter 18 part 3
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Quick note
Chapter 21
Author's note
Chaper 21 part 2

Chapter 6

1.2K 38 14
Av Dionne_Hill

No.

Did he just say Emily Winston?

He couldn't have.

However, if Alec's pleading expression gives any indication, I'd say I'd heard correctly.

Does that mean that he is involved too?

But that's not possible. We've known each other for over a decade, he would never do something like that.

This must be some kind of sick joke. Has to be.

I scan Alec's face, looking for any sign that I am somehow mistaken. When I find nothing but an apologetic sort of grimace, anger starts to take over and my fists clench painfully. Now standing, I glare at him. "Tell me it's a lie. Tell me that what I'm thinking is wrong."

He gulps. "I... I can't, Ria," he takes a deep breath, pausing briefly and looking towards Becca, who seems to have just reappeared from thin air. I didn't even realise she had left the room.

She steps forward, taking my hand in hers and giving me a pitiful smile. "You should hear us out Ria, it's really not as bad as it sounds."

I snatch my hand back, the anger pooling into my eyes as I glare at the three of them. "Really? So this whole kidnapping my sister business isn't actually bad then? Or illegal? And didn't get me kicked out?!" I turn to face the two siblings, who stand side by side wearing the same sullen mask. "And you two. I have known you, trusted you, for more years than I can remember. You really better have a damn near brilliant excuse."

My fists are clenching uncontrollably, tremors running throughout my body. I don't know the extent of their involvement, but Emily's disappearance is the very reason I got kicked out and hurt. Are only letting me stay out of guilt, not friendship?

Suddenly, a hand finds itself on my shoulder. I whirl around, to see the smartass himself watching me with an unidentifiable emotion in his eyes. "Their involvement is purely observational. They had nothing to do with the apprehension of the girl."

Like that makes it any better. They still knew.

"Observational in what sense? Doesn't change the fact that my staying here is just a pity party. They knew exactly what happened and didn't do anything about it. They didn't even have the balls to tell me!"

He sighs. "Perhaps you should sit back down so that I can try to explain the situation," gesturing to the chair I was previously on, he watches me expectantly. I don't want to let him try to explain. I already know the three of them are only going to come out with a load of bollocks excuses to try and shut me up. However, I can almost feel the weight of his suggestion throughout my body, as if it was, in fact, not a suggestion at all. It's as if there is some kind of powerful undertone, warning me that I should obey. I therefore comply with his wishes reluctantly, hoping that at some point there will be a silver lining presented.

I watch as he turns to Becca, his stiff, straight posture giving off a more business like feel now. "How much does she actually know?"

She looks down, picking at the polish on her nails, before mumbling a quiet "Nothing."

Suddenly, his stance turns undeniably powerful, fury rolling off of him. He appears to be quaking, and the raw power that I only got a mere glimpse of before thickens the air to a sludge. Fists balled, he gives Becca a deadly glare. "WHAT!" He roars, his deep voice accompanied by a rough edge, rather similarly to the way Edmund does sometimes.

If I'd have drank anything with my meal, I may well have just pissed myself.

I think Becca might have done.

Before anything else can happen to her, Alec steps forcefully in front of her, taking a protective stance that is unfortunately hindered by a slight fearful quiver. Who the hell is this guy if he can turn these two into a joint puddle?

Not finding the motivation to do much more than breathe, I watch the scene unfold, a series of memories from that day plaguing the back of my mind. Both men stare each other down, though Alec is visibly depleting in confidence by the second. He growls - as in actually, physically growls like an animal - but this has no effect on his opponent, who only steels his shoulders in response.

Alec gulps, before murmuring, "She hasn't been here for long."

Smartass crosses his arms and raises his brow judgmentally. "And is she to stay for any length of time, Goldstein? Or are you going to throw her out like her father did?"

Wait, what?

"Why the fuck do you care?" I ask, finding my voice. It's pointless however, as he continues to ignore me while drilling into my neighbors with his eyes.

Alec looks towards the floor, his resolve gone completely. "No sir. I'm sorry."

Sir?

"Sorry won't change the fact that you people have broken yet another law. And yet again, I must clean up you're mess. Now both of you better sit because this is going to be a long conversation."

They both nod obediently, taking a seat, mumbling a "Yes sir," as they do so.

I thought they were supposed to be friends? And what the hell is he on about laws for? He must've broken them too if he has anything to do with Emily.

Calmly, he takes a deep breath, looking me in the eye. "It would seem that we have some explaining to do."

"No shit."

His eye ever so slightly twitches. "You're probably wondering about the girl, Emily."

"What ever would make you think that?"

There's that twitch again.

Despite the seriousness of the situation, I find myself wearing a smirk. "Maybe you should get that checked out."

His brows furrow. "What?"

"Your eye. It keeps twitching."

My smirk grows as he scowls at me. "Do you want to know what happened or not?"

"Yes."

"Then will you shut up?"

"I make no promises."

He brings his hand to his face, pinching the bridge of his nose before turning to the siblings. "Do you two want to help because I'm getting nowhere."

Stiffly, they both nod their heads, and Alec begins. "Um... So there's these kids and like stuff and swapping and yorstersthingy."

That's it. I'm lost.

Apparently, from the many confused expressions, so is everyone else, Alec included.

Smartass shakes his head, a low groan sounding from his chest. "Look, all you need to know is that I need you're sister, but so does the person who has her. And trust me, she's much safer with us than with them."

"You need my sister? For what? She's four!"

He looks me dead in the eyes. "She is much more than just a four year old girl."

I roll my eyes. This is stupid. "Are you actually going to explain anything to me or just sit there trying to convince me that stealing people is ok?"

Mirroring my eye roll, he again pinches the bridge of his nose, as if what I'm asking is too taxing for his lonely brain cell to understand. I don't know why he's so aggravated; I'm the one who doesn't know anything. I don't know who has Emily, or how to get her back, or what this guy wants her for. But I suppose the fact that he wants her could work to my advantage. "Well if you want her so bad, and she'd be safer with you, can I at least help?"

All three people give me a stupified expression, not quite sure they heard right. I answer their silent questions before they even have chance to contemplate the suggestion. "You say she's safer with you than wherever she is now. Well if that is true, I at least want a part in it. And I want to know that she is ok. She's my sister." Of course, I wouldn't be letting her go with this dipshit, but what he doesn't know won't hurt him

The damn smartass has the audacity to smirk. "And how do I know I can trust you?"

I return his smirk with one of my own. "Shouldn't I be asking you that? From what I gather you want to save my sister from a kidnapper, by way of kidnapping. "

The infamous smirk falters slightly, turning almost - guilty? - and indicating his defeat. "Fair point."

I smile, almost genuinely. "So can I help or what?"

He looks towards Alec and Becca briefly before breathing out. Becca shakes her head slightly, eyes wide. Alec shrugs, clearly not caring as much as his sister. "I'm going to regret this," he gnaws lightly on his lip, seemingly having an inner debate with himself. "Fine. But the first time you start getting in the way, asking too many questions or just being plain irritating, that's it."

Smiling inwardly, hope soars through my body. Things could eventually go back to the way they were.

*****

A cool breeze sifts through my hair as I sit on a stump in the backyard. I've been sat here grinning like a mildly possessed donkey for a half hour, contemplating exactly what I'll do when we get Emily. There is no way I am letting her go off with a completely new set of child stealing freaks.

Being so caught up in my thoughts, I didn't notice Becca standing by my side until she spoke, making me shit myself for what must be the nine hundredth time today. "Whatcha thinking?"

I contemplate her question for a second. Do I even want to be talking to her? She knew about all of this and didn't tell me. "Not much."

"I find that hard to believe. I know you must be hating us right now."

Despite myself, I chuckle lightly. "Maybe not hate. Not yet. I still don't know everything."

"True. I'm sorry though."

A surge of anger hits my stomach. She is sorry. "Sorry isn't going to bring my sister back."

She sighs, turning to face me fully, lips pressed into a thin line. What surprises me most is the anger in her eyes, her bright eyes turning darker. "Your sister?"

Confusion takes over. "Yeah...?"

She crosses her arms. "Look, I know what we've done is seems shitty, and I really wish we could tell you more. But don't try to make me or Alec feel more guilty than we already do." I give her a look. That only pisses her off more. "I have known you for years. And ever since that girl was born, you have never once referred to her as a sister. A thing, demon, wench and whatever else, yes. But never family." A wave of multiple emotions hit me, but it is difficult to distinguish what they are. She continues. "Tell me, Ria. Are you actually doing this because she's your sister and you care? Or are you doing this for his approval?"

Approval? "What do you mean?"

"Let's face it Ria. Everything seemed fairly normal for you until Emily was born. I've seen the way you are with them now. The way they treat her, it's shown you that how they act towards you isn't normal. And personally, I think it kills you. I'm not trying to sound like a bitch, I just want you to consider it before you do anything rash. Is all this for her, or for you?"

Warmth and wetness cloud my eyes. While I had been planning how to get her back, I was fully transfixed on the idea that it was for her safety. But is it really?

What am I saying. Of course it is. I don't give a shit what Edmund thinks of me, why should I? He either ignores me entirely or treats me like he found me on the underside of his shoe. I don't need his 'approval'.

However, I can't help feeling like what Becca said was a warning. I've seen how smartass can get when he's pissed. I won't let his temper sway me though. Soon, everything will be okay.

Author's note

Don't know how I feel about this chapter but kinda needed it anyway...

★Please vote & comment★

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

7.1K 332 58
This is book one of the series. Jordan shifts slightly in my lap so she can see my face. "Liam, I want you to mark me." She bluntly states and expose...
2.6M 87K 46
"Shift." His voice hit me like a serrated blade as he stepped out of the crude semicircle of hardened wolves that had formed around me. I pushed mys...
5.8M 260K 82
(Complete) **A MATURE FANTASY** Book #1 in the Elemental Heir Series. Now published and available in PAPERBACK and KINDLE on AMAZON!! 🤍 "Your ready...