Destiny's Gamble

By styles2016

Sequel to Destiny's Dice. Manik and Nandini have now begun a new chapter of their lives, being a married coup... More

A New Chapter
Downhill Morning
Breakfast Fiascos
Question-Answer
Mrs. Devil Malhotra
A Plot...Or Not?
Ambushed
No Victory Without Struggle
This Is Me
Dare To Defy
It's A Start
Mission Accomplished
A Pot Of Mess
Web Of Thoughts
Insight
Don't Know How
You and I
Nandini's Sun
One Step At A Time
Turned Tables
Green Devil
Oh, You Devil
Devil, Not So Devilish
Anti-Manik
The Night's Young
Caged Bird No More
Tonight Is Ours
Dance Partner
An Ugly End
The Journey Begins
The Journey Continues
A Bagful Of Firsts
Machine Of Pain...Or Relief?
Superman
The Garden Of Eden
An Argument Much Needed
Superman Or Madman?
Future...Right?
The Start Of Something New
Mother Nature And Us
Home
Return Of The Witch
Taste Testing
To Love Is To Breathe
Crackling Tension
Tracks Once More
Wasted Efforts
Mr. Hulk
Challenge Accepted
Double Celebration
All's Well That Ends Well
Trouble In Paradise
...
Undoing
Gone
Operation Nandini
Plan A
Plan B...Failed
Thank You!
Lucked Out
Sleepover
Here, Always And Forever
Back To Square One
Out In The Open
Fragile! Handle With Care
Happy Reunion Day
Destined To Be
Good Luck, Manik
Devil In Disguise
Hungry Lioness
Goodnight
The Morning After
Mending Burnt Bridges
Surprise Getaway
Confessions Of The Heart
Tonight We Are One
A Hollow Victory
Confinement
Tough Times
Newfound Motivation
Renewed Freedom
Destiny's Gamble
Coffee Date
A Flood Of Memories
Enemy Territory
Something More
Hide And Seek
Comrades
Destructive Lies
Two Vessels, One Soul
Unfinished Tales
Key to Success...Or Potion To Fail?
Game Changer
History Repeats Itself
Unpleasant Dawn
Falling Into Place
Old Flames
Coming Home
Happily Ever After
A New Adventure!

Unfortunate Times

4.3K 518 43
By styles2016

"On what grounds?" Manik asks as he makes his way down the stairs with great care. Does everything have to go awry today? The only times I've been in arm's length with a policeman is when he's standing in the middle of an intersection, navigating the traffic. Therefore, to have two policemen standing at the threshold of my home is quite intimidating. My stomach is tied up in knots and my brain has suddenly stopped processing information. 

"Ms. Murthy has accused you of sexually assaulting her." One of the policeman replies, watching Manik like a hawk. I notice his hand is now resting on his gun. Oh, he's expecting my husband to attempt an escape. The accusation, however, has my world sliding out from underneath my feet. It feels as if history is repeating itself, when Rebecca wrongfully blamed Manik for the very same reason. At once, my eyes fly towards him. To hurriedly prove my innocence, I begin to shake my head, eyes wide. 

"I-I never," I stutter. There's no way in the world that I would accuse Manik of something so low. After all, he is my husband and I am well aware of the fact that he will never touch me - or any other woman - against her will. Orbs full of trust, Manik gives me a slight nod. Although this gesture should bring me relief, it does nothing, whatsoever, to calm my nerves.

"Ms. Murthy?" Manik repeats, now looking at the cop who made such an outlandish statement. "Ms. Nandini Murthy is standing right in front of you. As you can see, she's perfectly alright." The man shakes his head, his face stone cold. I'm sure in his eyes Manik is at fault, thereby rendering him an emotionless, worthless man, who is not worthy of anyone's pity, or help.

"Ms. Alya Murthy," he corrects, crossing the threshold of our home. "It would work out in your benefit if you cooperate and come with us to the station willingly. Otherwise, other methods can be put to good use." So as to ensure my husband comprehends his words, he unbuttons the casing of his gun; the click resonating around the now confining walls.

Pursing his lips, Manik nods his head and continues to make his way down the staircase. Arguing or fighting against the will of these policemen won't be a wise decision, and I can tell Manik realises this as well. It's okay, though. They can transport him to the station, which will of course be a waste of time, for once Manik gives his statement, everything will be cleared out. 

As Manik nears me, he cups my face in his palms, staring at me with a neutral expression. A person who doesn't know my husband would think that he's absolutely calm and composed. However, I can see the slight tinge of worry in his eyes. With great effort, Manik manages to tug his lips upwards in a reassuring smile. Of course he doesn't wish for me to get worked up any more than I already am. Therefore, regardless of his inner emotions, he will put on a picture perfect facade for me.

"Call Eva." Manik says, his thumbs brushing back and forth across my cheeks. "Tell her whatever happened here, and she'll handle the rest." I nod my head.

"I-I'll just grab my bag and follow you." I say, pressing my palms against the back of Manik's hands. 

"Don't waste your time by coming." Shutting his eyes, Manik brings his lips towards my forehead. His kiss lingers on for longer than it should. One of the policemen clears his throat, clearly uncomfortable with this prolonged show of affection. "I'll be back home for dinner." My husband says, stepping away from me. "Make me something delicious." 

"Don't I always?" I joke, managing to keep my voice from cracking. If Manik can put on a veil and show me what he wishes to, then so can I. 

"I love you." Manik mouths, before he pivots on his heels and heads towards the front door, where the policemen are impatiently waiting for him. Before exiting, however, my husband turns around and offers me a long glance. With plans for a romantic dinner in mind with my husband, I manage to let a grin spread across my face.

"I love you," I say. "And I'll be waiting." Nodding his head, Manik heads out of the house. 

*****

"Did you get in touch with your cousin?" Eva asks, exiting the police station. I shake my head, tapping the phone furiously against my palm. 

"She's not picking up," I reply, letting out a frustrated huff. The look on Eva's face tells me that the situation inside is not going too well, and so I refrain from asking her any questions.

"Bitch," she hisses, roughly dropping her files onto the bench. "She's put up such a strong case in there that no one is even willing to entertain the thought of Manik's innocence for a brief second." My friend begins to pace back and forth. "In their minds the trial has already taken place and the judge has declared him guilty." 

The question that keeps popping up in my head is: why would Alya accuse Manik of such a thing? What does she wish to gain from it all? I will never understand the workings of that woman's mind.

"I wish to see him," I announce. "Will they allow me to do so?" Eva offers me an apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry, Nandini, but they won't allow anyone but Manik's lawyer to see him at the moment." She replies, seating herself on the bench. "If Alya doesn't show up soon, Manik will rot in a cell for the entire night." No. We have promised each other a dinner. With newfound energy, I dial Alya's number once again. And again. And again. 

"Nandini, would you please stop calling me? The ringtone I've set for your calls is just as annoying as you are." Alya says from behind me. I turn on my heels, only to have my hand reach out and land against my cousin's cheek. The mere sight of her has me trembling with rage. Alya is the sole reason why Manik is rotting inside a police station, with no fault of his. 

"What're you trying to achieve?" I ask, splaying my palms across Alya's chest and pushing her back. "By accusing Manik of something we both know he isn't capable of." Sighing, Alya takes off her sunglasses, displaying swollen red eyes.

"Don't push me to charge you with assault as well," Alya says in a monotone. "Or is that what you are aiming for? Both the husband and wife in one cell...an interesting happily ever after." 

"As well?" I repeat, shaking my head. "Cut this drama and speak the truth, Alya. Manik has never even touched a hair on your head." 

"Are you sure about that?" My cousin asks, tilting her head to the side. "Did you know that I went to visit him last night?" This sudden piece of information causes the breath to get knocked out of my lungs. I'm sure Alya sees the surprise on my face, for a malicious smile spreads across hers. "Ah, you didn't." She nods to herself, clearly satisfied at the result her words have achieved. 

"Don't worry, there was no special reason behind my visit," she continues. "It was the same old, I want money, please give it to me for old time's sake. I can't say the same for your husband though. He had other plans. Manik first refused to give me the sum I wanted, but then he lay down a condition. If I helped him out sexually, then he would hand over double the amount I'd asked for." Sniffing, Alya lowers her eyes towards the ground. I follow her gaze, a surprised gasp escaping my lips. My cousin - the woman who has never touched a shalwar kameez in her life, much less thought of buying one - is currently wearing one. 

"You bitch," I curse, bewildered at just how low Alya can stoop. Her head jerks upwards to face me, eyes wide. I guess she didn't think I was capable of cursing her out in such a manner. "Good God," I scoff in amazement. "You deserve an Oscar. In fact, you don't just deserve one for your acting, but also for costume designing." Shaking my head in amazement, I begin to clap my hands together. "I must say, it's a job well done, Alya." 

"Maybe if you'd have been able to satisfy your husband, he wouldn't look for help elsewhere." Alya spits through gritted teeth, taking a step closer to me. I can tell I'm pushing the boundaries of her angelic facade. I open my mouth to egg her on further. However, before I can say anything, a man clears his throat from beside her.

"Ms. Murthy, please." He says, gesturing towards the entrance of the police station. In a second, the fire is gone from Alya's demeanour and she adorns the role of an innocent, helpless victim. Sniffing, my cousin casts her gaze towards the floor.

"Excuse me." She says, heading past me. If only I could strangle this woman...

"Nandini, I'll head in as well." Eva says, gathering the files and hastily making her way into the police station. Aiyappa, please sort this mess out as soon as you can. You know better than anyone who's innocent and who's stringing together a malicious web. 

*****

"What happened?" I ask with concern, as Eva exits the police station. The defeated look on her face tells me that matters aren't tilting in our favour.

"The trial will be held tomorrow." Eva says, her shoulders slouching forwards with fatigue. "But until then they refuse to let Manik go. And here I quote, 'A predator like him shouldn't be on the loose.'" She tosses her head back and lets out a frustrated groan. "Your cousin is a force to be reckoned with. There's not a single officer in there whose eyes didn't fill up with tears upon hearing her statement. I would've sympathised with her, too, had I not known Manik personally." My heart sinks even further upon hearing Eva's words. "Their case is strong, but I will work all night to ensure that ours is capable of defeating theirs." 

I want to thank the woman standing in front of me for going to such great lengths to ensure Manik's innocence. However, due to the weight of all the information I have just been burdened with, I'm finding it difficult to sort through my thoughts.

"Regardless of all this, there is a silver lining." Eva says, smiling at me. "I have managed to get you permission to meet up with Manik for a few minutes. Go," she nods her head towards the police station's entrance. 

"Thank you!" I call out, as I hastily make my way into the station. I don't need anyone to guide me, for Manik is seated in the cell that's right opposite the entrance. I rush over to him, my hands snaking through the bars and reaching out towards him. Startled, Manik turns his head in my direction, and upon seeing me, he takes my hands in his and brings them up towards his lips.

"I'm alright." Manik says, once he's kissed the back of my hands. "So ease these, Angel." He reaches out through the bars and presses his thumb against my forehead, smoothing out the worry lines. I'm unable to keep my emotions in check upon seeing Manik; my flowing tears refusing to abide by my orders. He doesn't deserve this place, or the treatment it brings. My husband has seen enough hardships to last a lifetime. 

"That dinner must've gotten cold, huh?" Manik says, smiling. 

"Manik, I'm sorry," I say. "I'm sorry for the messed up family I'm related to. This mess...you don't deserve to be in it and it's all my fault."

"Oh come on, Angel, we all have a certain black sheep in our family. For me it's Nyonika and for you it's Alya." Manik smiles, brushing the pad of his thumb across the back of my hand. "That doesn't mean you blame the entirety of your family. I personally adore the other members of it." 

"You'll be out of here soon, Manik." I assure him, glancing around the interior of his cell. "I mean, you haven't done what Alya has accused you of, right?" For a second, the smile on Manik's face falters. Aiyappa, no. I didn't wish to word my thoughts in this doubtful manner. My brain's not working along the right tracks. I know Manik hasn't done this sinful deed. 

"Manik - " I begin, hoping to rectify my careless mistake.

"Angel, if you think I'm innocent, then you'll show up to court tomorrow. If not, then don't come and I'll have received your answer." 

"Ma'am, it's time." An officer says, casting his shadow over me. 

"Manik," I try once again, refusing to let go of his hands. 

"Go, Angel." Manik says, nodding towards the exit doors. "I'll be fine in here." He brings the back of my hands up to his lips once more and leaves a warm kiss on them. "Don't forget to eat and sleep." Smiling half heartedly, Manik lets go of me. "Goodnight, Angel. Stay safe and do show up tomorrow." Although Manik's tone is teasing, I can see the disappointment I've caused him. 

"Manik, listen to me - "

"Ma'am, please." The officer intervenes once more. "It's time for your departure." 

"Nandini, come." Eva says from behind me, taking hold of my shoulders. "It's time for us to go." No! I have to clear something out before tomorrow comes.

"Give me another minute," I beg no one in particular, for my eyes are planted on Manik's. "Please." His usually fiery orbs are now dimmed and it's all my fault. Aiyappa, why do I have to be such a mess today? A day in which Manik needs my support the most. 

"Nandini, the rest can be said tomorrow. Let's go." Turning me around, Eva guides me out of the station. No, no, no. Everything is unfolding in such a wrongful manner. 

"Let me drop you home." Eva says, nodding towards her car. I shake my head.

"No, it's fine. Our driver's here," I say. "You go on ahead." 

"Nandini, why don't you spend tonight at my place?" She asks, her eyes portraying honest concern for me. I shake my head, smiling.

"You've already done enough for Manik and I, Eva. Trust me, I'll be fine at home. In fact, I think I need the alone time to process all that's been going on." Eva stares at me for a few seconds and then nods her head.

"Goodnight, Nandini. Take care of yourself and don't worry too much. Manik can surely endure a night in jail. It won't be his first," Eva teases, grinning. I nod my head, unable to find it in me to smile anymore. How can I, when once again I have disappointed my husband. Eva gets into her car, pulls out of the parking space and drives off. I, however, continue to stand rooted to my spot, debating whether or not I should try to get inside once more. I turn around to find an officer staring at me, almost as if he's anticipating the fact that I'll try to make a surprised entry.

Sighing, I drop the idea and head towards the main road. Aiyappa, please let Manik get some rest. I have a horrible feeling that my words will continue to echo in his head and keep him awake all night. If only I could find a wall to bang my head against. I have failed my husband as his partner, by once again making it seem as if I don't have faith in him. Aiyappa, what have I done? 

Suddenly, all thoughts seize. I am drowning in the dark. Flares of pain are bursting through my entire being. Someone has surely clipped my nose shut, for I cannot breathe. I am drowning. And this time I know Manik won't be around to save me.

A/N: Happy days are back...hopefully! I have freed myself from other commitments and tasks for a certain period of time to focus more on writing and other matters, which have unfortunately been pushed to the back burner for a while now. Therefore, hopefully I will be able to shoot out update after update in the coming days. I apologise profusely once again for the delayed update, and I thank you all for the patience you have shown me and Destiny's Gamble. Needless to say, I have immensely missed each and every single one of you ;) Take care and stay safe xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.2K 666 25
Manik and Nandini-two strangers meet on a trip. They instantly hate each other. The intensity of the hate is such that one can burn the other by a lo...
66.2K 3.3K 29
soo its the sequel part of the first story the curse of my life and ya the story start from the end when nandini died manik start haluucnating her...
55.5K 3.9K 33
Unexpected meeting of them bring her in a danger of being his spot. The cruel monster full of anger. Manik hate the word girl because of his past but...
658K 41.1K 62
A story on my fav couple manik and nandini aka manan Its a dark ff and will have lot of suspense glimps of the story Manik was sitting on the bed by...