Habits of My Heart

By Nielle013

I don't care if it hurts, I'll pay my weight in blood To feel my nerves wake up So love me now, or let me g... More

Characters
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
IMPORTANT!!
Chapter 26
Update coming soon!!
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Update?
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Heyyy 😅
Chapter 34
Chapter 35

Chapter 33

288 16 9
By Nielle013

Y'all.... I have no words 🥴😭

August

I was at the building cleaning up and doing some last minute work. The final inspection for the building was approved and some of the units already have tenants. So I was getting the other units ready for more incoming tenants.

Going through the applications and screening for who to approve was difficult. The hard part was making sure we get the right tenants who have  a job and stable income. I know the horrors of terrible tenants and I'll be damn if a mothafucka come living in my shit for free.

They use to try that shit with pops but I had to shut that shit down a few times. Most of his old tenants respected him but 1 or 2 would try to show their ass.

I was about to call to check on Xe when I felt my phone vibrating. I notice it was a call from my grandma. I answered immediately but it was pops who was on the line.

"Hey pops, what's up how you calling me from grams phone?" Immediately my mind start racing.

"Hey son, we just got to the hospital. We in the emergency room wa..."

Before he could say anything else I cut him off. "Is grams alright... Which hospital y'all at I'm coming right now."

He was telling me grams is good but I wasn't trying to hear none of that I needed to go see her for myself.

He told me they were at downstate hospital so I lock up the building and sped down there.

In no time I was pulling up outside the emergency room area. It's illegal to park out front, that area is for drop offs and emergency vehicles only but fuck it I'll take a ticket.

I hop out the car and rush inside to find pops. As I walk in I saw him and granny standing by the front desk with a bag in her hand. I breathe out a sigh of relief to see that she's okay but in the next breath I was confuse as to why they were here.

"Pops, gram.. y'all good? what's going on?" I ask walking towards them.

"Yea son, a young lady got stabbed and beat pretty badly outside of Rays corner store. We saw the attack when your grandpa pulled up so we rushed over to help... Poor girl she's so young and I think she's pregnant. She was holding her stomach saying her baby". Granny said holding her free hand over her heart.

"I rode with her in the ambulance while your grandpa drove behind. I told him to call you just incase you went by the house looking for us." She continued.

"I was worried when he told me y'all was here."

"Yea cause yo ass ain't let me finish what I was saying." Pops chimed in shaking his head.

"Yea cause all I could think was to get here to make sure everything was good. But that's crazy, in broad daylight they out here doing that." These niggas are reckless out here.

I used to do reckless shit too but at least I know the importance of time and place.

Hearing that the girl is pregnant my mind instantly run on Xe. I want her to meet my grandparents this Sunday so I can introduce her to them and tell them about the baby.

I know my grandparents want the best for me and I know granny will be too happy to hear she's gonna get a grand baby from me. She's always telling me she want me to give her a baby before she dies.

Pops he's just happy I'm turning my life around and taking over the building since he can't manage everything on his own anymore.

"What's in that bag?" I asked pointing to the black plastic bag in my granny hand.

"Oh, it's the bag of snacks the young lady had in her hands. I'm assuming they probably waited for her to come out the store then attacked her." Looking in the bag as my grams held it open I notice it was two big bags of hot Cheetos and a cold drink.

I shook my head and smile inside cause it reminds me so much of Xe that's some shit she'd get on the regular.

"So any information on the young lady?" Grams asked turning to the woman at the front desk.

"As of right now she's a Jane doe, there's no I.D in her wallet so we can't identify her to call family members." The lady responded.

"Can you at least let me know if everything is alright with her?"

"What you did for that young lady is a good thing but unfortunately, we can't disclose any information to non family... I'm so sorry."

"Okay, thank you ma'am" grams was disappointed and I know this was laying on her heavy.

"August I can't leave here not knowing if everything is okay with that young lady. She was bleeding pretty bad from the stab wound." She sighed.

"Okay we'll wait a bit and see if anyone shows up. I'm gonna go find a parking and I'll be back." I said leaving out while pops and grams took a seat in the waiting area.

I got in my car and drove around trying to find parking but there was none. I decided to just pay for parking instead cause I wasn't trying to go too far.

On the walk back to the ER I called up Kev and Chris to see if they heard anything about the stabbing or know who it was. They said they heard some girl got stabbed and words are spreading that it was Tony peoples who did it but they don't know who the girl is.

That's why I never respected that nigga he have no shame with his shit. Women and children are off limits but his old ass gotta do slimy shit like that since his name ain't holding much weight in the streets anymore.

I walk back to the hospital hoping someone would show up or we would hear something about the girl.

I sit in the empty seat beside pops. And was racking my brain on what to do next. "So what's the plan we just gonna sit here?" I asked them.

Before grams could say anything pops jumped up out his seat.

"Wait, I just remember I have her phone. I picked it up after they put her in the ambulance. Maybe someone will call looking for her." He said.

As he pull the phone out his pocket, I notice it was the newer iPhone and I recognize the marble case look eerily similar to the one Xe have on her phone.

My heart started jumping and my mind started to race. My brain was putting the pieces together but I was praying I was wrong.

Xe mom lives a few blocks down from the corner store, Xe is pregnant and this girl that's been stab is also pregnant. Xe have a weird obsession with hot Cheetos and this girl was at the store buying hot Cheetos. Then there's the phone case. I tried to shake off that thought though. I didn't want it to be true.

It couldn't be, Xe is at the spa with her mom relaxing right now. That's what I have to tell myself to shake this feeling.

"Ahh.. pops let me see that phone real quick." I said clearing my throat that seems to be getting dryer with every second that pass.

"I think it's dead or broken the screen is blank." He said passing it over to me.

Taking the phone from him I got sick to my stomach seeing the crack on the screen. Xe phone also had a crack on the screen but this could've happened during the attack. I said to myself to calm my heart rate down.

I try to call Xe phone but it went to voicemail which didn't ease my mind as I hoped. I prayed she'd pick up to prove these thoughts I was having wrong.

I decide to try my luck and press the power button on the phone. It lit up with the apple sign and my hands starts to shake waiting for the screen to come on.

As the screen saver pop up on the phone I drop it immediately and hop out my seat.

I couldn't breathe.

It's Xe phone.

My Xe.

My baby... she is carrying my child. That reminder alone brought me to my knees.

"Son! Aug you okay!?"

"What's going on what is it!?"

Both pops and grams said at the same time standing over me.

"Th... that's my baby! It's my girlfriend that's back there ma."

In a split second I rush to the front desk asking the lady questions wanting to make sure she's okay.

"Sir calm down. As I told the lady before we can't give out that information."

"What! That's the love of my fucking life back there! She's pregnant with my fucking child."

"I understand but..."

"But nothing! Can somebody get the fuck out here and say something!"

"August! Please calm down. Please son everything is going to be okay." Grams said holding me but I could barely comprehend what she's saying.

The possibility of losing Xe and yet another baby was playing in my head.

"Sir... sir.. if you don't calm down I will have to get security to escort you out of here" I'm tempted to curse out the bitch. But I held back, she's doing her job.

"Just fucking tell me if she and my baby is okay.. that's all I want to know." I said breaking down as my voice crack.

Sighing she look at me then start looking up stuff on the computer.

"Umm... so they rushed her into emergency surgery to stop the bleeding. That's all the information I can give you at this time. I'm very sorry."

It didn't ease my mind but some information was better than none.

Pacing back and forth I decide to call Xe's mom. They were supposed to be going to the spa what the fuck happen and why didn't she call me. I would've gotten the snacks and bring them to her. My mind was running a mile a minute.

I finally got her mom on the phone and told her to get to Downstate immediately. She works at Downstate hospital but pick up shifts at Kings County hospital sometimes when they are short staffed.

I didn't even know she was called in for work. Xe didn't even think to tell me this information. I for sure would've went back and picked her up.

While we wait for Xe to get out of surgery I got 2 miss calls from Kev and 1 from Chris. I was about to call Kev back when my phone vibrate with another incoming call from him.

"Yo Aug! Man they saying it's Xe who got stabbed bro." He said immediately.

"I know, pops had her phone man... Bro I'm sick right now.. she's fucking pregnant Kev. She's having my baby and they fucking hurt her! I'm gonna paint the town red behind mine."

"What!? Nah you know we riding behind you 10 toes down. Whatever you on we with it just say when. That's my niece or nephew she carrying it's war behind family. Xe been fam but they just made this shit personal."

"I wanna off everyone involved or associated with whoever did this shit but first I need to make sure both of them are good."

"We on our way to the hospital now so we'll see you in a few." He said, which let me know it's him and Chris.

****************

It's been a day since we been at the hospital. My boys are here and all Xe friends are here now.

Her friends wanted to come yesterday when they first got the news but no one could see her so they decided to come today.

Late in the evening around 8 or 9pm pops and grams went home but me and my boys stayed. I was not going to leave the hospital under no circumstances and my boys stood by my-side.

Grams was trying to get me to eat something but I had no appetite. Nothing would go down not even water.

So far only my boys, Xe mom and now my grandparents know about the baby. I don't think she told her friends yet and we gonna keep it that way until she's ready to tell them.

We got more answers after Xe mom came since she also worked here and know the staff. She was a mess but we got all the answers we needed and fast.

There were multiple stab wounds some were deep but they didn't hit any arteries and there wasn't any severe damage.

Her body went in shock but they had to take her in for surgery to stop the bleeding.

Both her and the baby is okay but now we are waiting for her to wake up so we could go see her.

The doctor said whoever did this to her wanted to hurt her but they weren't trying to intentionally kill her based on the areas of where she got stabbed.

She didn't get stabbed in the stomach area but she did get caught in the side and lower back. It seems she was protecting her belly area and the baby. However, she did get a bad head injury getting hit in the head and falling on the ground.

My guess is they were trying to send a message but didn't know she's pregnant. Well that message has been received and it's gonna be hell to pay.

"You good bro?" Chris ask sitting beside me.

"Nah, I need to see her and I'm ready to handle this situation like yesterday."

"Don't worry we gonna get 'em. That's a fact." And I know it is cause I know him and Kev would ride for me.

Hearing Xe's friend yelling and cursing I look up to see what the fuck is going on.

I see the friend name Martina yelling at some nigga. I instantly recognize it's that bitch boy Tyrell.

"Martina chill it's not my fault I don't know who did this to Xe or why! I'd never make anything happen to her she's my friend too! We grew up together!"

"Nigga get the fuck out! You know it's was ya bitch ass uncle who did this all because of your hoe ass! You're a pathetic loser." She said screaming at him. "And to think we felt sorry for you when you got shot." You can visibly see she was disgusted by him.

This nigga had some fucking nerve coming here though knowing the situation with us and his uncle.

"Aye!" I shout walking over to them getting their attention.

"Get the fuck outta here, I don't want you anywhere near Xena ya hear me!" Seeing him in the wheel chair I was ready to finish the job. Give his momma and uncle something to do.

"Man fuck you! I knew Xe longer than you, who are you to tell me I can't be here." I know he ain't hyping up when he's already in a wheel chair that we put him in.

I kick his wheelchair ready to tip that bitch over and leave his as there but Chris and Kev pull me back before I could.

"Chill bro, not here not now." Kev said pushing me back. He then point to the pussy ass nigga. "You get the fuck from here."

The rage that was going through me I probably would've killed him with my bare hands.

"Don't worry bro, we gonna get 'em. Just chill out and make sure ya lady good then we will take care of everything else." Chris said.

I appreciate my boys being here for me cause I'm not thinking rational right now. My anger is fueling me more than anything.

"Aug, I think you should go home freshen up and come back. You've been here since yesterday you look like hell." Xe mom said patting my shoulder.

"I hear ya, but I can't leave..."

"Yes you can, you have to take care of yourself so she don't worry and stress when she wake up. You can't let her wake up and see you like this." She said cutting me off.

She's right but it's hard for me to leave. I don't want to miss anything what if she wakes up after I leave. I need to be here.

"Aug please, go clean up and get something to eat. I will be here and if anything changes I'll call you." She said again pleading.

"Aight." I said caving in. "But make sure you call me."

"I will son." She gave me a hug. And I turn to Kev asking him to drop me at the house so I can shower and come back. Eating was the last thing on my mind and I still don't have an appetite.

As planned, I went home shower and was ready to get right back to the hospital. I look more alive and fresh after my shower but that's the complete opposite of how I felt on the inside.

Grams and pops check in making sure I was good and if there were any updates on Xe and the baby.

As I expected grams was happy about the baby but not by the circumstances or how she found out about it. I told her I was gonna set something up and properly introduce her and pops to Xe but it just never happened.

I think God put my grandparents at the right place at the right time. I can't imagine what would've happened if they didn't pulled up when they did. Not wanting my mind to wonder down that dark hole I shook that thought off.

I'm just grateful that she and the baby are okay. I just need her to wake up soon cause I don't know how much longer I could wait.

Kev, Chris and I was now heading back to the hospital. We all went to my house and freshen up.

I lowkey feel like they ain't trying to leave me by myself just in case niggas use this moment to try and catch one of us lacking. I'm still on high alert though.

"Ain't that bitch nigga that work with Tony?" Chris said pointing to a young boy walking down the street as we were driving by.

"Yea, that's that nigga Rohan or whatever the fuck his name." Kev said.

"Oh word pull up on this nigga right quick." As Kev was about to drive up on ole boy my phone starts ringing.

Not checking to see who was calling I answer immediately. All I hear through the car speak was Xe mom yelling...

"She's up!"

___________________________________

It's been years... whew time really does fly 😬😬

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

539K 26.3K 30
What if we happen to kiss? Then we touch? Put a rush on it, and get it over with? What if I just know, what you like? And it feels right, and then it...
4.2M 173K 56
Phe-Phe has a past that not much people know about , she becomes a Kindergarten teacher and catches the eye of one of her student's father, which bec...
44.3K 1.6K 27
Made a reservation, you're my favorite place to be All day, contemplatin' baby, waitin' patiently There's nobody like your body way you climb on top...
5.1K 139 33
What do you do when you find yourself falling for someone else? Do you stay with the man who saved you from your past? Or do you take a chance with a...