One Affection

By NiallSquared

Caroline and her friends, Elaine, Ava, and Isabelle, were trying to make it through their senior year of high... More

Overview
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 15

70 3 1
By NiallSquared

Chapter 15

(One Week Later. Caroline's thoughts.)

I had stayed after to work at my paintings a bit more.

The canvas I am using is bigger than anything I've ever done before. And the hardest part was I was going to freehand the entire thing. I'm just mapping a few things out on the picture. It was still a pretty much blank canvas.

"How's it going Caroline?" Ms. Watson came in and asked.

She was a young teacher. Maybe 26 years old, and she was a brilliant artist as well. Definitely one of my favorite people in Wheeler.

"It's coming along. I just want it to be a surprise. But I have a bunch of other ones I'm planning on for the senior show. It's all going to be pretty hectic in here for me until the opening. This one I'm doing now is going to be the surprise one of all." I explained to her.

There were only about 8 seniors in art classes this year, out of our approximately 250 students, it was low. And we got to submit up to 15 works for the show.

"Well, we have the big gallery this year for the senior show. I think I'm going to let you all have a wall of art. I am thinking that you and Zayn are easily going to surpass the 15 works limit, so maybe you can put a few extras in there." Ms. Watson said.

"That would be fantastic." I said graciously.

"I have to get going, I have a meeting in a different district. Can I let you lock up once you're done with the studio?" she asked.

"Absolutely. I'll probably only be around for another hour. I have to print some things off in the Mac Lab too."

"Alright. If the janitors ask why you're still around I'll give you a pass. And just show them your Student ID. That helps." she said writing me a pass and handing me the key with the lanyard. "I have an extra copy. Why don't you and Zayn share this one?"

"Thank you so much Ms. Watson. You can trust us."

"Well I wouldn't give it to you if I didn't? Now would I?" she said and left.

My own studio key. I have always wanted one. To be able to come in the side door into the big, clean, white room and make art whenever I wanted to. I longed for this. I would be able to come in at anytime of day and breathe in the scent of drying paint. This was honestly one of the best gifts I could ever get. Besides my own studio of course.

Now that I was alone I could concentrate easily. I put the Ed Sheeran Pandora station on the main Mac and got to work. I was going to he here pretty late tonight. I decided I would stay until I had every canvas built and every picture printed. I'd be here well into dinner. My iPhone rang.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Where are you?" I heard Ana on the other end.

"I'm staying late to school. Tell Mum. I'll handle my own dinner here."

"What time will you be home by?"

"8:00 maybe. I am backed up on art."

"Keep Mum posted."

"Love you Ana."

"Bye Care."

Now I could really get to work. I had to build a ton of canvases. 27 to be exact. Of all different sizes. That was going to take up the majority of the time. It was only 2:30 now, I had plenty of time to work.

I got out all of my supplies. The palettes that made the frame of the canvas, the actual canvas sheet itself, The gesso to prime them, a hammer, some nails, the staple gun, 3 different grains of sandpaper. This was going to be such fun. I'm not even being sarcastic now, I love to do this kind of stuff. My love for art was equivalent to my love for math.

I only had 3 built by the time 3:30 rolled around. Wow, this was going to be a while. I heard a knock at the door leading to the rest of the school. I grabbed the key, my pass, and my Student ID, and went over to the door. I still had my smock on and everything. My hair was pulled back with my bandana on, my sleeves of my shirt rolled up, and my glasses on my face. I just stuffed everything in the front pocket of the smock.

"Well don't you look adorable." said Niall walking into the room.

He grabbed my waist and pulled me in for a kiss. After we pulled away I smiled at him.

"What are you doing here so late?" I asked him.

"I should be asking you the same thing." he retaliated.

"Well, I have to build and prime canvases. I have barely any done."

"How many?"

"Well, 27."

"Damn! All tonight?" He said amazed.

"And I have to print out some pictures from the weekend for these paintings."

"You're going to need some help. Good thing I have no plans tonight."

"Are you willing to? Because that would be amazing." I said smiling at him.

"Absolutely. It's a good thing I know how to do this. My Mum painted a bit and I watched her build these. But not nearly as many."

"Go grab a smock and more supplies." I told him.

"Where? I haven't been in the studio before!" he said.

I pointed him to the back room.

"Who's smock should I put on?" he called.

"Does it matter?" I shouted back.

"Well, I don't want to but on a random one."

"Just put on Zayn's."

He came back out with the smock on, and brought another hammer, more nails, palettes, and canvas.

"Now you're the one looking adorable." I said to him. "A true artist."

He blushed and kissed my temple.

"This is going to be some hard work isn't it?" he asked.

"You're the one who volunteered to help me!"

"Just call me Van Gogh." he smirked.

Niall set everything down on the table I was working on.

"Just cross off which size you're building as you go. And make sure to write the number on the back of it in that pencil. Any other pencil has the potential to rip the canvas. We will sand and prime them once all are built." I instructed him.

"You've got a nice system going." he said impressed. "I'll try not to mess it up." he flashed that cheeky grin.

I couldn't help but smile. We got down to work. Chatting about our days and plans for the next few.

"Only a couple of weeks until we leave for Ireland." Niall said.

"Oh my goodness, I nearly forgot!" I proclaimed.

"You're mother is still fine with the trip, even if we're dating now?" he asked.

"Yes, I don't even think she notices the difference between us going out and us when we were just friends." I said.

"She has better things to worry about."

"Very true. And while we are there Ana gets to go to her concert with her friends and meet Justin Bieber. Are you jealous?" I teased him.

"Actually, I am a little bit." he admitted.

"Maybe she'll get you an autograph." I said with a smile.

We worked in silence, well besides the music, for a little while. With his help we had a little more than half done. Niall's phone buzzed.

"Liam wants to know if we want to do dinner with him and D tonight." he said.

"Tell them to bring it to the studio. We'll have a picnic or something." I told him while I finished up a small canvas.

"He says that sounds great."

"Lovely." I said to him.

Niall went and shut off the music. He took the remote and turned on the plasma telly that hung on one of the walls.

"What are we watching?" I asked him starting on another.

"Golf." he said.

"You like watching golf?" I asked. "It's seriously the most boring sport to watch."

"Well, I play and there is a big match on tonight. Harry told me about it." he said.

"You golf? With Harry I'm guessing?"

"And a couple of times with Liam. I'll have to bring you sometime. It actually is great to play."

"I'm not convinced." I said being completely honest.

"When spring rolls around we're going whether you like it or not."

"I'm willing to give it a chance. I guess." I said to him.

He grabbed more palettes and started to build another frame. We were 3/4 of the way there when there was a knock on the side door. Niall walked over and opened up.

"What are you both doing here so late?" asked Liam.

"It's almost 6:30!" Danielle added.

"Hi guys." I said while I finished stapling a canvas to a palette.

I walked over to wash my hands off in the utility sink. And went over to give them both a hug.

"I am really behind on my canvas building. And the senior show is in the big gallery at the end of the year. I am planning on submitting 28 works into it." I explained.

"I thought we were only building 27 canvases?" asked Niall.

"I already started one. It's going to be a surprise. Don't start asking."

"Why is it a secret?" asked D.

"It's going to be my biggest grade and center of my concentration, an my main work in the show. I want it to be a complete surprise. Got it? No more questions." I said.

"Can we at least know how big it is?" asked Liam.

I walked into the back. Hid the picture I was working from and flipped the canvas. There were pencil lines on the front that could give away the painting. So now the back was facing and the palettes were exposed with the correct number written on them. I called them in.

"Jesus Care. That's really big." Danielle proclaimed.

2 and 1/2 by 2 and 1/2 feet. My Pop sent it from America over the summer as a challenge. He also sent top grade acrylic paint. I was finally going to start the challenge.

"It's gonna end up looking great. She showed me the painting she did of her and Ana when they were young. Ana was 3 and you were 7 right?" Liam asked.

"Yes. I loved that one. My Mum is getting it for her birthday in a couple of days." I said.

They walked out of the room, and I put the barely started painting back into my drawer.

"What do we have for dinner?" Niall asked.

He was seriously always thinking about food.

"Well Liam and I went to pick up Chinese food. Thought it would be the easiest." said Danielle.

"Sounds perfect right now." I said.

I cleared off a table and put paper down to make sure no food got on it. We ate quick and sat and talked a while.

"You need anymore help?" asked Liam. "We've got nothing else to do."

"Well, see the stack of stretched canvases?" I asked.

"Yes." Danielle said walking over to pick one up.

"They need to be sanded and primed with gesso."

"So you want us to sand these down for you? Until they are how smooth?" Liam asked.

"Still has to have some texture to it. There's a completely sanded one on the front table. That's what it should feel like."

"Sounds good. It shouldn't take too long." Liam said.

He and D got to work on those, and Niall and I finished building the last few. After we were done building, we went on to the already sanded ones, and took the finer grade of sandpaper. It was 7:45 now.

"You think you boys can finish sanding for me?" I asked them sweetly.

"I guess." Niall answered.

"Come on D. We have to go to the Mac Lab. I have to print out the pictures in using now. And I need help picking them out."

"Sounds good!" Danielle said standing up.

We walked through a door into the Mac Lab. It was pretty cold in there all year round so we went to grab our sweaters.

"Oh shit. I didn't bring a sweater today." I said as D grabbed hers.

"Mine is over on that chair. You can wear if you'd like to." Niall said with that smile of his.

I went to grab the sweater and I kissed the top of his head. We walked back into the other room. I sat down and plugged my flash drive into the iMac. Hundreds of pictures started coming up.

"When were these all from?" asked Danielle.

"The past weekend, before Josh's party, and some other random times." I said.

I had Harry, Liam, Louis, Danielle, Niall, Lainey, Ava, and Belle over to hang out for a little. I included Zayn, Josh, Jack, Preston, and even invited the new girl Perrie as well. She got along with us very well. I think she is another new friend. I was trying to patch up things with the girls. It worked slightly. My Mum was gone for the weekend so we just hung out there. And Ana was with us too. I think her friend Michele, and a few other girls were over too.

Anyway, I brought out my nearly professional camera and took lots of photos anticipating my concentration for art.

"What is going to be your concentration?" D asked me.

"The effects of togetherness on the expression of one's personality." I said.

Danielle stared at me trying to make sense of it.

"I'm not following, can you dumb it down a bit for me?"

"Well, these pictures were all taken in a group setting. Most of these pictures are candids that I will be painting. Each is showing different emotions inflicted upon by surrounding environment and peers." I explained.

"Oh, alright. I think I understand now." she said.

"Really?" I asked her.

Up until today Ms. Watson had no clue what I meant.

"I'm not as dumb as you think I am Holden." she said imitating Harry.

"Got it Styl-- I mean Peazer." I said jokingly.

"Alright sit down, I want to see these pictures!"

"Alright, let me pull them up."

"You have a folder with 347 photos in it? All for the concentration?" she asked me.

"We better start looking."

We both nodded and I opened the file.

__________________________

(Present Time. Niall's Thoughts.)

"Damn, it takes a while to get one of these sanded." Liam said.

"Holy shit I know. Plus you have to use three different grains of sandpaper, what were we thinking?" I said.

We had the football game on. It was London versus Real Madrid. We were ahead by two goals and our keeper was on fire. The game was getting pretty intense.

"What do you think is Care's main painting?" Liam asked out of nowhere.

"I have no clue. Maybe a picture of her father? But that doesn't go with her concentration very well. I really do want to know." I said.

"I would say we could go sneak a look, but I don't want to ruin it for her." he said.

"I know, the curiosity is killing me, but I'm gonna wait."

"Good idea. What is her concentration anyway? All I know is that there are the 28 paintings." Liam asked me.

"Something about the expression of personality while in a group setting. I think that's it. Makes much more sense when she tells you." I said.

I set down the canvas I just finished sanding and added it to the pile.

"Only ten more." I sighed.

"How long have we been working at these god damned things for?" Liam asked.

"Well, it's 8:30. We can finish in a half hour, right?"

"I think. And she can gesso them during her art period tomorrow?"

"I hope so. The stack just keeps getting bigger." I said.

Real Madrid just scored a goal. The keeper was mad. Not nearly as mad as Liam and I were. I just kept swearing at the telly. One of my worst habits is swearing, a lot. I had calmed down after a little over the goal but this was a big game.

Liam and I sanded silently for a little staring at the screen.

"Are you nervous for your trip to Ireland?" he asked me.

"Why would I be?" I questioned him back.

"Well, it's going to be you, Care, and Lou the whole week and a half."

"Yeah, so?"

"How many bedrooms are in your cottage?"

"Well, it's a small place that Greg bought a while back but gave to me. I think 2 maybe? Why?" I asked.

Was Liam trying to psyche me out or something?

"Well, where's Louis sleeping? He sleeps naked remember?" he asked me.

"The extra bedroom then."

"And what about you?"

"The main."

"And what about Caroline?"

"The..." I hesitated.

"See? What are you planning on up there?"

"Sleeping." I answered him still not following completely.

"Lord jesus Niall. Are you gonna sleep with Caroline or not?" Liam yelled quietly.

My whole face drained. Was I?

__________________________

(Present Time. Caroline's Thoughts.)

"And that one. Definitely." Danielle said.

We had picked out the 27 pictures I would be painting. This was going to be fun.

1. A group shot of my boys. Liam, Louis, Harry, Niall, and Zayn.

2. A group shot of my girls. Elaine, Isabelle, and Ava.

3. Danielle and Liam snuggled up to each other.

4. A shot of Harry smiling from a joke. Dimples included.

5. Louis' profile (stripes and huge ass included).

6. Zayn falling asleep on the floor cuddling Hypotenuse and Dex.

7. A group shot of Josh, Preston, and Jack.

8. Liam holding me in his arms us smiling at each other.

9. Jack and Elaine sitting back to back laughing.

10. Ana sitting next to Zayn with his arm around her.

11. Danielle and Perrie chatting.

12. Niall planking across Liam, Danielle, Harry, and Josh sitting on a couch.

13. A picture of my Mum and Pop smiling at each other I found recently.

14. Preston with little Ava on his shoulders.

15. Ana and Michele playing with the dogs.

16. Liam looking out the window.

17. Perrie peeking through the curtains into my house.

18. Josh's head laying in Belle's lap.

19. Me drinking coffee from my favorite cup.

20. Niall pushing me up against a doorway (before a kiss).

21. Belle, Elaine and Ava making strange faces at each other.

22. Danielle curled up with a copy of The Hunger Games.

23. Josh standing on his tiptoes next to Preston who was much taller.

24. Ana and I hugging.

25. Jack with a stern look about him.

26. Perrie, Danielle, and I reading the news in a line.

27. Harry, Liam, Niall, and Lou tackling me.

It was quite the collection. The only one not from the weekend was the one of my Mum and Pop. I hadn't used any from before Josh's party. And then 28, The surprise. I was really looking forward to painting these. I had a good feeling that I would end up painting a few more. I might end up with 30 plus paintings in. Wow. I had to get started on these.

"Beautiful pictures. Your camera has great resolution." Danielle said.

"My Mum's friend is a professional photographer and this was one of her old cameras. She gave it to us. I use it all the time." I said.

"I bet the paintings will be just as pretty. I think they'll look really cool on the different sized canvases on that large gallery wall."

"Oh I sure hope so. This is going to be a lot of work." I said.

I started to print out the pictures. Then I had to map those out, these next few art classes were going to be pretty busy. Zayn had to get going on his concentration. He was going to draw the same landscape at every hour in a day to show the simplest changes make all the difference. It was a great idea.

All of the pictures were printed out. I set them all out on a table.

"I think one of my favorites is Zayn sleeping. He looks adorable." I admitted.

"With the dogs? Oh I love that one. I also really like the one of you and Liam. That's adorable. And the one of you Perrie and I reading the paper. I didn't even realize we were doing that." she said.

We looked at all of the photos again I loved each one of them. Even the ones with Jack in them. They were all great pictures.

"That one is priceless. I'm glad someone snapped a picture of it!" I said.

__________________________

(Present Time. Niall's Thoughts.)

"I didn't even consider that before you said it!" I said to him.

"Seriously?" he asked me.

"Holy shit! We have been going out for a little more than a week. When we get out there it will be a month. I have known her for what, 3 months? At most? Liam I didn't even think about it!" I yelled quietly so the girls wouldn't hear.

"Wow. I forgot, you only kissed a girl a week ago. I didn't remember you were so innocent to it all." Liam said.

I couldn't tell if he was teasing or vein serious. He hadn't cracked a smile, so I think serious.

"How old we're you and D?" I asked. "Don't know if that's too personal or anything, but... I guess I'm curious..."

I admitted.

"We had been going out for 6 months, we had both just turned 16." he said.

"16! What the fuck man! What if something went wrong? What if she got pregnant?! That's young!"

I was yell talking again.

"I know, that was a mistake. I don't exactly know why we did when we were so young, but, it was still, amazing. And it's not so much a big deal anymore." he explained.

"God, I hope she was on birth control or something." I said sarcastically.

"She was." he said with a smile.

This was what normal teenage kids talked about. It all felt strange with Liam though, half the time he feels like my father, the other half my best guy friend.

"Hey guys." the girls walked back in.

"Here's your sweater Niall. Thanks for letting me borrow it." Care said.

She bent down to kiss my cheek, but I pulled her in for a real kiss.

"I'm going to build like 4 more canvases. I think that I'm going to paint more. But I'll do that tomorrow. It's almost 9:15. We should get going." Care said.

We started clearing the tables off. And we put the canvases in her cabinet. I washed off the table, Danielle brought the unused palettes and other supplies to the back with Liam's help. And Care re organized.

We were all ready to leave by 9:30.

"Thank you guys all so much with the help." Care said then hugged Liam and D. "And thanks for sticking around with me tonight Niall."

"Anytime babe." I said than kissed her on the lips.

I was seriously considering what Liam asked me earlier in this moment. We pulled away and all went our separate ways. Only to be reunited tomorrow morning.

I received a text, from Liam:

I'm giving you my blessing. Don't waste it. I'd say go for it."

He said obviously talking about what could happen in that cottage.

I made up my mind about it. But there is no way in hell I'm telling any of you.

End of Chapter 15.

What did you all think? What are you thinking about Care and Niall's relationship? Please tell me!

Tweet me:

@ElHolden1D

Email me:

ElHolden1D@gmail.com

Or inbox me or comment on WattPad!

Thank you all for reading. It means the world to me.

Love you all.

xx

El.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.6K 559 33
Emily Phillips is going through hell. Her boyfriend cheats on her, with her best friend, her dad abused her, but she has the best 5 guys for best fri...
1.9K 70 12
Emma goes to Richmond High, she has no clue who One Direction is, nor does she care. So when she wins the school contest to take a trip to the UK wi...
54.6K 539 30
Lindsay Warren was a normal teenage girl.... she had the perfect family: an older sister and two wonderful parents. she loved her life, but when her...
58.1K 769 56
This is the story of a girl named Y/N and a boy named Harry Styles. They start off as best friends and are close. (But not as close as Harry and Loui...