Destiny's Gamble

By styles2016

Sequel to Destiny's Dice. Manik and Nandini have now begun a new chapter of their lives, being a married coup... More

A New Chapter
Downhill Morning
Breakfast Fiascos
Question-Answer
Mrs. Devil Malhotra
A Plot...Or Not?
Ambushed
No Victory Without Struggle
This Is Me
Dare To Defy
It's A Start
Mission Accomplished
A Pot Of Mess
Web Of Thoughts
Insight
Don't Know How
You and I
Nandini's Sun
One Step At A Time
Turned Tables
Green Devil
Oh, You Devil
Devil, Not So Devilish
Anti-Manik
The Night's Young
Caged Bird No More
Tonight Is Ours
Dance Partner
An Ugly End
The Journey Begins
The Journey Continues
A Bagful Of Firsts
Machine Of Pain...Or Relief?
Superman
The Garden Of Eden
An Argument Much Needed
Superman Or Madman?
Future...Right?
The Start Of Something New
Mother Nature And Us
Home
Return Of The Witch
Taste Testing
To Love Is To Breathe
Crackling Tension
Tracks Once More
Wasted Efforts
Mr. Hulk
Challenge Accepted
Double Celebration
All's Well That Ends Well
Trouble In Paradise
...
Undoing
Gone
Operation Nandini
Plan A
Plan B...Failed
Thank You!
Lucked Out
Sleepover
Here, Always And Forever
Back To Square One
Out In The Open
Fragile! Handle With Care
Happy Reunion Day
Destined To Be
Good Luck, Manik
Devil In Disguise
Hungry Lioness
Goodnight
Mending Burnt Bridges
Surprise Getaway
Confessions Of The Heart
Tonight We Are One
A Hollow Victory
Unfortunate Times
Confinement
Tough Times
Newfound Motivation
Renewed Freedom
Destiny's Gamble
Coffee Date
A Flood Of Memories
Enemy Territory
Something More
Hide And Seek
Comrades
Destructive Lies
Two Vessels, One Soul
Unfinished Tales
Key to Success...Or Potion To Fail?
Game Changer
History Repeats Itself
Unpleasant Dawn
Falling Into Place
Old Flames
Coming Home
Happily Ever After
A New Adventure!

The Morning After

5.7K 653 26
By styles2016

As I turn over in bed, a thousand ton weight lands on my head, making me wince in pain. 

"Ow," I hiss, squeezing my eyes shut tight. Unable to remain lying for a second longer, I sit up, my legs kicking the blanket away from my body. I bang the heels of my palms against the sides of my head to shake this killer headache away. Alas, my efforts are in vain.

"I suggest you wash your hands before touching any part of your body." Manik yells, the sound of light strumming entering my ears. Why in the world is he playing such loud music this early in the morning? 

"Shh," I hiss, squinting my eyes open. "Please take it down a notch, Manik." 

"You're saying this, Angel?" He raises his eyebrows questioningly. "I remember you wanted to be quite loud last night. Actually, you jointly wished to hit high octaves with me." What in the world is he talking about? 

"Manik, you're making no sense to me," I say. 

"Oh, so you don't remember?" He asks. "Maybe I can help you recollect your memories." Pushing the blanket away from the side of the bed, the Devil lowers himself onto the space beside me. "But first you should take those pills." He nods towards the bedside table. Without a word, I obediently toss the tablets into my mouth, swallowing them down with the help of water. Although I don't remember much from last night, I am aware of the fact that yesterday was my first time drinking alcohol, and that I ended up getting drunk. Aiyappa is, therefore, making me pay for my idiocy by causing me to suffer through a hangover.

As I'm placing the glass back on the bedside table, my eyes land on the top I'm wearing. What in the world...A gasp escapes my lips as I take in my bare front. 

"Manik, I'm naked!" I exclaim, tugging the blanket up my front. "Whose clothes have you made me wear?" 

"Me?" Manik asks incredulously, pointing an index finger at his chest. "Angel, wearing half stitched clothes is your style, not mine. This is all your doing." His gaze rakes down the length of my figure, a smirk adorning his lips. Me? Why in the world would I wear something which makes a bikini look decent? Frowning, I apply great pressure to my mind, desperately attempting to recollect last night's memories. 

I can faintly remember going into Eva's room, only to find her ransacking her entire closet. She called me over and convinced me to share a bottle of alcohol with her, after which the two of us began to play dress-up. I groan, flinging my arm over my eyes. The clothes that are adorning my body are clearly the end result of that childish game.

"Please tell me you didn't let me walk around in public with this on," I say. Aiyappa, I'm so ashamed. What other rubbish was I up to last night? Oh no, Manik must have been the one who had to deal with it all. I hope I haven't embarrassed him in front of all his friends. 

"Believe it or not, but you're quite hard to reason with once you have made your mind," Manik says. "I tried to rein in the raging lioness in you, but Angel, you were on a roll." 

"Just buy me a burqa already," I let out another groan. "Do I even want to know details about last night?" 

"Not at all." I can hear the smirk in Manik's tone. "But that doesn't mean I won't tell you." The hangover that's hovering above my head is now the least of my concerns. "Do you know, Angel, that you have a dual personality? I have been well acquainted with the angelic side for quite some time now, but the lioness in you surfaced just yesterday." I lift my arm from above my eyes to find Manik thoroughly enjoying this moment. "You look like a small packet, but there's a big bomb in you." Once again his eyes sweep over my body. Why in the world does he keep looking at me in this manner? 

"Manik, did we...did I do anything inappropriate last night?" I ask warily.

"It would be much easier for me to list your appropriate behaviour, mainly because there was none." My cheeks heating up, I turn around and bury my face in the pillow. How am I expected to meet Manik's gaze? He hasn't told me much, but I have somewhat pieced together my actions. 

"I didn't know you wanted to consummate our marriage this soon, Angel." Manik comments, making my breath stop in my throat. "Had I known you were this desperate..." He trails off, words not required to explain what's on his mind. "I also didn't know that you held my jewels in such high regard." Jewels...Oh.

"What exactly did I do?" I question, unsure whether I wish to know the answer to this or not. "Please just rip the bandaid off without any further delay."

"Not so soon, Angel." Manik tsks. "All in due time. Although let me tell you from now, you and I have made each other a promise; one that I won't let you forget." The mattress beside my head dips, as Manik shifts closer to me. The Devil leans down, his breath tickling the skin around my ear. "It involves this room," he whispers. "This very bed." His palm splays across my bare back, the pads of his fingers creating imaginary circles on my skin. "And you and I. The perfect recipe." 

Hastily, I kick my legs off the bed and get on my feet. There's no way I will be able to sit through Manik's detailed narration of the night before. It is quite obvious that the night before I have embarrassed myself enough to last a lifetime. Cheeks burning, I rush into the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. A gut feeling tells me that Manik will never allow me to live down last night. I also strongly feel that alcohol and I have a lasting enmity. 

*****

"I'm frankly quite surprised that you decided to leave the house in this state." Manik says, parking the car in front of the orphanage gate.

"Manik, I'm the one who's amazed that I'm still alive." I say, letting out a soft groan. "Are you sure I had the right medicines to combat this headache?" Fisting up my right hand, I beat my knuckles against the side of my head.

"Yes, you did, and I ban you from taking any more. Angel, stop focusing on your hangover. Diverting your attention will definitely help shoo it away," Manik suggests. 

"That's like putting an elephant on my shoulders and then telling me to not think about the weight on me." Rolling my eyes - a movement that shoots a flaring pain through the centre of my head - I throw open the car door and step out. Why in the world does everything seemed heightened today? Manik's voice sounds louder than it usually does. My head feels like it grew another brain overnight, and now the sunlight is also beating down on me as if it has a personal vendetta against me.

"Angel, go on ahead. I have some work to take care of in the neighbourhood," Manik says. Nodding my head, I make my way into the orphanage. I'm already regretting my decision to come here the second the yells of excited children enter my ears. I wouldn't mind these sounds on a normal day. Today, however, isn't going too well for me. Unfortunately, our visit to this place couldn't be procrastinated any longer because Ma had personally phoned in the morning and invited us over today for tea. 

*****

"Check the music room," Ma says, as I step out of her room. 

"Yeah, I'm sure Manik's there." I say, shutting the door behind me. Ma and I have been keeping each other company for an hour and a half now, and there's still no sign of Manik. What work is he up to which is taking up so much of his time? To top it off, the Devil isn't even answering my calls. As I'm making my way towards the staircase, a young girl is heading up the stairs, a bouquet of roses clutched in her hands. The sight makes me smile because the size of the bouquet is probably twice the size of the little girl. God knows how she has managed to bear the weight of it without tripping. As our paths are about to cross, the girl stops in front of me, peeking her head out from the side of the bouquet.

"These are Autumn Roses," she says, eyeing the colourful flowers. "For you." Smiling, the girl holds the bouquet out towards me. 

"Me?" I ask, surprised. "From who?" She shrugs as I take the weight from her hands. Without saying another word, she turns around and bolts down the stairs. Now who's this secret admirer? Aiyappa, please don't let Manik find out, or else there will be bloodshed. Well, it doesn't matter who this is from. The bottom line is that these flowers are beautiful and they also possess an enchanting fragrance. There are red roses in here, yellow and some with an orangish tinge. My spirits suddenly uplifted, I hum as I continue on my way down the stairs.

As I turn the corner to head towards the music room, my eyes land on another child - who is carrying a bouquet - heading in my direction. Is that for me as well? I don't have to speculate over this for much longer, for a few seconds later, this boy stops in front of me; holding the bouquet out for me to take. 

"These are Honolulu Hues." He explains, his tongue twisting around the name of these flowers. "For you." Balancing the former bouquet in the crook of my right arm, I take this one from him, tucking it into my left arm. 

"Thank you," I say, as he runs past me. Wow, this admirer must really like me, considering he's spending this much money on buying me all these flowers. Now I'm truly interested in finding out as to who he is. Through some miracle, I manage to enter the music room without dropping either of the bouquets. However, the person waiting for me inside isn't Manik, but another child. The sight makes me laugh. This girl is holding yet another bouquet, her eyes flying across every corner in the room with boredom. The second I step in, she hurriedly makes her way towards me.

"These are for you," she says, holding the bouquet out towards me. "They're..." The girl trails off, probably thinking about the name of these flowers. "They're...Picasso Callas...something." She smiles at me apologetically. "I'm sorry, I forgot their full name. I could ask him again and tell you." 

"That's quite alright, darling." I say, grinning. "May I ask, though, as to who this mystery man is?" Her eyes widen as she shakes her head vigorously.

"I'm not supposed to say." She says, placing the bouquet near my feet and running out of the room. Okay then. I wonder when I will find out the identity of this mystery admirer? Sighing, I place the bouquets I've recently received with the one which is already on the floor. Before heading home, I can stop by this room and retrieve them. I turn around, a low squeal escaping my lips. 

Keith is standing in the doorway with a glass bowl of Water Lilies clutched in his hands. Out of all the children, this one seems the most enthusiastic about the task he has been given. 

"Sorry for scaring you," Keith says, his eyes shining with excitement. "Aarav said since you hate Alien Orchids, he's not going to rest until he finds a flower which you find appealing to your eyes." The child squeezes his eyes shut, thinking hard. "He also said...um..." 

"He also said that it will be quite hard to complete this challenge." Manik says, stepping into view behind Keith. "Because your beauty makes all the flowers in the world shy away in shame; their shine dimming in front of yours." Manik's hands are tucked behind his back as he takes his time in coming towards me. Keith looks back at the Devil questioningly. The latter nods his head, thereby making Keith place the bowl on the floor and scurry away. 

"Manik, you truly get carried away at times." I say, shaking my head in amazement at all the efforts he has put into this romantic gesture. "But thank you. These bouquets are beautiful and extremely thoughtful." God, why didn't I figure out that Manik was behind all this before? 

"So which kind is your new favourite?" Manik asks, raising his eyebrows questioningly. 

"I honestly appreciate all of these." I say, turning around to glance at the trio of bouquets on the floor. "However, you know that Alien Orchids are my favourite kind ever since you introduced them to me. What I said the other day...it was all in anger." 

"I had a feeling," My husband smiles knowingly. "And that's why I've come prepared." Bringing his left arm to the front of his body, the Devil materialises a bouquet of Alien Orchids. "The best for the last." 

"I love you." I whisper, lifting myself on my tiptoes to leave a thank you kiss on Manik's lips. "And I love these." 

"You know what, Angel, this reminds me of last night." Manik says, his thumb gently pulling my lower lip downwards. "Although my lips weren't your target." 

A gasp escapes my lips, as I divert my gaze away from Manik's. Over the course of the day, I have begun to piece together last night's events and I can confidently say that they don't make me too proud about myself. In fact, I rather never speak about them again. However, Manik isn't making this easy for me. 

"Also, Angel, make sure you don't throw away last night's outfit." Manik says, his eyes dancing with mischief. "I didn't quite enjoy the performance, mainly because there were a hundred perverts present. And so I wish to get a private show sometime soon. You know, a husbands-only benefit." 

"Keep up with this teasing and you'll be enjoying the benefits of a bachelor's life in the near future," I threaten. My eyes land on the clock. Oh God, we're going to be late for part two of my forgiveness plan. 

"Manik, quickly go and meet Ma because then we need to go home. I have something planned." I say, turning my husband around and gently pushing him towards the door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

119K 3.1K 3
Hello People! This is a two shots story on Manik & Nandini with an EPILOGUE! And about the story.. I would say JUST PEEP IN PLZZ. WARNING:- This stor...
95.9K 7.8K 33
The sequel to MUTUALLY MARRIED ******************************************** Manik and Nandini are finally married but for reasons apart from love. R...
1.9K 256 5
Welcome to this world of Manan. This book includes a collection of various short stories of Manik and Nandini with interesting storylines. This will...
71.4K 6.8K 49
This is the sequel of the book 'Angel's Brute'. It starts from one and a half years after Manik flew away to Manhattan with Nandini and Rishav. Howev...